CES: Motorola challenging Apple's iPad with Android-based Xoom tablet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    reiferreifer Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I wonder what those who thought an iPad with a rear-facing camera was stupid think of the rear-facing camera on the Xoom.

It was stupid then. Before FaceTime and the new Skype that is. Can you guess whether or not ipad2 will have one that actually does something? Taking photos with an iPad or a Xoom is still stupid.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    Is there a saturation point for new tablets and smartphones? Can they all be successful? What would success look like? Can it be Apple with 5% of the market and 99 other manufacturers with 1% each?

Notice I said manufacturers, not OSes.
  • Reply 43 of 95
    When will this corporate charade of trying to champion the market finally end? Product after product, lousy limitations still succeed, and after each and every installation, Apple remains beneath their own hand-built crown. It's tiring to watch these companies produce such epic failures, waste time and money on unoriginal ideas, only to market these ideas in a fashion that supersedes their product's true potential.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    i've always liked widgets. ever since Apple introduced the concept on the desktop with -?- OS X Tiger. which MS finally copied in Vista. now that app folders let you save plenty of screen real estate, the next iOS update should certainly enable them for iPhone and iPad. Android has in fact shown their potential, and Windows Phone 7 really is built around them - the "tiles." don't be stubborn, Steve.
  • Reply 45 of 95
    T-Pain needs to be at CES to ask the important questions, and make the obvious statements.

"It's not gigahertz, people. It's JIGGA-Hertz! Holla atcha boy!"

On a serious note: Why are the contents of the Xoom display Photoshopped on? Is it maybe because it's not running anything yet? As they state, they're not quite done.

It's fun to be spitting out jigga-hertz and RAM and ports and ships and docks...funny.

I work in the high-end bicycle industry and the one thing we don't advertise on our website is bike weight. Seems to be the only metric some people are concerned with (like jigga-hertz). "Oooh, it weighs 22 pounds!" they exclaim as they fail to notice that the rims are made out of rice paper.
  • Reply 46 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

i've always liked widgets. ever since Apple introduced the concept on the desktop with -?- OS X Tiger. which MS finally copied in Vista. now that app folders let you save plenty of screen real estate, the next iOS update should certainly enable them for iPhone and iPad. Android has in fact shown their potential, and Windows Phone 7 really is built around them - the "tiles." don't be stubborn, Steve.

Widgets are so elementary in my estimation. I've never noticed the necessity of their novelties in Windows, nor in Apple operating systems. They just serve to collect resources and create a casualty of the screen's carpet.
  • Reply 47 of 95
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthony Marose View Post

Widgets are so elementary in my estimation. I've never noticed the necessity of their novelties in Windows, nor in Apple operating systems. They just serve to collect resources and create a casualty of the screen's carpet.

I unlock my phone and I get instant access to my weather, top news stories and even stocks without having to hit anything else.

Sure, I could just hit the weather app, close it, stock app, close it, news app, close it.. (etc) but why should I have to do that especially for stuff that I just want at a glance?

Widgets are amazing.

And to respond to someone earlier, the reason motorola makes such a big deal about specs is because they're not writing the software. Google's the one that will show off features, or maybe Motorola will do this in a series of videos later. Apple has a completely different business model.

When they announced the IPad, they were also announcing iOS for the tablet form factor. They were stressing the experience of the software and only spent a bit on the hardware since it was the ONLY device running ios in that form factor.

Compare that to the xoom where there are already a handful of tablets promising to run the same OS. The differentiator here will be the hardware, not the software, so that's what they focus on.

It will be interesting to see how the actual device handles itself once some hands-on videos start popping up (not to mention reviews) It's an amazing looking concept, and I think it's a bit early to say that it's an ipad "killer" or DOA considering that no one here (much less reviewers) actually knows everything that's going on with it.
  • Reply 48 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Pull the barometric pressure form the web based on current location then measure device altitude. You need barometric pressure to measure altitude.

The barometer is really cool. I would love to have it on my iPad, maybe they will come up with a dongle. I have started to use my iPad more and more for hiking and camping as it is great for charts and taking info about the area on, but no cell signal. Finally the app dev's have caught on and are making more apps that store data (maps, data sheets, trail notes) but weather apps are a sore spot since they are best when "live". A barometer would allow you some weather ability when outside the cell networks. I have it on my watch now and it gives you about 20 minutes warning before it rains (enough time to look quickly for shelter). I know I am not the only outdoors guy on this forum using my iPad like this I have met quite a few people using both iPads and iPhones this way. At night in a tent it is really great for entertainment and a light too. Just because it is not on our iPads does not mean we need to trash it, would be cool of we could add it.
  • Reply 49 of 95
    really ignorant dude, how well does that website work for weather when you are outside of a wifi or cell network?
  • Reply 50 of 95
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Pull the barometric pressure form the web based on current location then measure device altitude. You need barometric pressure to measure altitude.

One can also get altitude from GPS. No need barometric pressure unless you want to monitor the weather,
  • Reply 51 of 95
    Check out the video hands-on with Xoom on Engadget. And stop shouting “vaporware!”.

I’ll just quickly summarise what I think are the product’s hits and what are the misses:

Hits:

Judging from the video it is IPS display, maybe S-IPS. Note wide viewing angle when the guy rotates the thing around.

Cortex A9 + NVIDIA Tegra 2 graphics is a way to go. Much better performance for games than the Apple’s current 535, and dual core CPU is better not because of increased performance; it is much more important in eliminating UI flow hiccups here and there.

Misses:

Rear view camera is awkward to operate from a tablet, thus making its whole concept stupid. Yeah, I know Apple may implement this stupidity too in the next iPad, but that won’t make awkward part magically disappear. This will be the World’s Least Used Integrated Camera Ever.

16:10 screen format eliminates black bands when watching video. But it makes everything else worse: books are formated to 4:3 so people will have to get used to “weird” layout, browsing will require more scrolling in landscape and more zooming in portrait, and developers will have to spend more time redesigning UI of their apps from phone 4:3 version to tablet’s. Basically, you’re getting rid of the bands in video only to put them in the apps.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    Moto is joking right.

They are just pimping the same old Android OS in a different package. They aren't going to spend years making their own OS from scratch. They aren't going to create their own itunes media hub. They are sheeping like all the rest. Watch as the summer approaches and the glut of tablets overwhelms the market place. There will be so many discounted, effing honeycom tablets in Sam Clubs, Walmart, Target, godd***** 7-11 priced to move like canned corn beef in the dollar store most of the players won't make a dime and will bow out with their tails between their legs.

All the while Apple will have 100% of the iSO market. Not bad.
  • Reply 53 of 95
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Out of sight, out of mind!

Apple almost has to make a special announcement or more, soon, just to stay in the public eye. If Motorola and others just suck-up some air waves with what they MIGHT come out with, or what IS coming, and the fact that these items are "The fastest", "The smartest", "The coolest" new phones, tablets … or more, to hit the market, there are MILLIONS of folks who WILL buy these items. ALL buyers Apple wants!

Now even Steve knows (but probably doesn't like), that he / Apple can't have ALL of the buyers of these items. But Apple has positioned themselves so, that they CAN'T be out of the public / buyers eyes for very long periods of time (Sucks being Apple at this level).

So, do they upgrade items? Do they come out with NEW & Exciting items, helping to keep folks from buying into the competition's stuff? All options that Apple will take advantage of.

Steve / Apple are now in a place few companies have ever and will ever be in. They have the whole world watching to see what they will be doing next … his includes the competition.

When you have and command this much attention, you have to come through with something to cover the hype, and to keep the competition in the background.

When someone (Apple) comes out with the "Latest & The Greatest" then a HUGH part of the buying public, WILL put off purchasing other items, at least until the smoke clears.

Apple WILL have news or a "Special Event" soon, they can't afford not to -

Skip
  • Reply 54 of 95
    Anyone else think that 1280X800 on a 10.1 inch screen ain't gonna be enough in 2011?

If Apple comes out with anything approximating a "retina display" for the iPad 2 (which will be out before the Xoom - I'll take bets) then this thing will look old and tired before it even gets to market.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Once again, Apple creates a market, then gets destroyed in that market. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but it's only a matter of time before iOS lite...er, I mean, Android does to tablets exactly what it's done to smartphones. And with that new Motorola phone they just showed off, I'm thinking Apple am doomed.

Yeah, and if Apple's share price does exactly what it's done after "...Andriod does to [Apple's] tablets exactly what it's done to smartphones...." I am sure some of us can live with it!
  • Reply 56 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You mean that market Apple takes ⅓ of all handset profits? Yeah, they?re really being destroyed.

Ah, you beat me to it.....
  • Reply 57 of 95
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

On a serious note: Why are the contents of the Xoom display Photoshopped on? Is it maybe because it's not running anything yet? As they state, they're not quite done.

Because the pictures posted in the article are promotional pictures. Pictures of it actually running software can be seen here:

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-motorola-xoom
  • Reply 58 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Out of sight, out of mind!

Apple almost has to make a special announcement or more, soon, just to stay in the public eye. If Motorola and others just suck-up some air waves with what they MIGHT come out with, or what IS coming, and the fact that these items are "The fastest", "The smartest", "The coolest" new phones, tablets ? or more, to hit the market, there are MILLIONS of folks who WILL buy these items. ALL buyers Apple wants!

etc. etc. etc.

Apple WILL have news or a "Special Event" soon, they can't afford not to -

Skip

Hey Skip

I think we get too close to the action by reading blogs, tech sites etc. but 98% of the population hasn't got a clue what is happening in the tech arena and, from what I hear every day, Apple is not out of anyone's mind (although I do know a few people who are out of their mind).

Apple's ads still play on tv and the Verizon intro will be blaring all over the waves in 2 weeks time. Apple knows how to get in everyone's face.

jmho
  • Reply 59 of 95
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Moto is joking right.

They are just pimping the same old Android OS in a different package. They aren't going to spend years making their own OS from scratch. They aren't going to create their own itunes media hub. They are sheeping like all the rest. Watch as the summer approaches and the glut of tablets overwhelms the market place. There will be so many discounted, effing honeycom tablets in Sam Clubs, Walmart, Target, godd***** 7-11 priced to move like canned corn beef in the dollar store most of the players won't make a dime and will bow out with their tails between their legs.

All the while Apple will have 100% of the iSO market. Not bad.

Do you think it's that easy to simply create a new OS, a new app store, and their "own iTunes media hub"? A year ago Motorola was in dire straits and needed to sell devices ASAP or the mobile division was going to be eliminated. The easiest way to do that was using a free OS and now are doing quite well so much so that the mobile division has become a separate entity.

I don't understand how some of you expect every device released a failure if it's not "groundbreaking", or "magical". No device has to kill another to do well. If companies want to put out cheaply tablets running Android , and sell them in walmart so be it. Why does that bother you?
  • Reply 60 of 95
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted