CES: Motorola challenging Apple's iPad with Android-based Xoom tablet

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So you're saying that since they can't invent anything as nice they shouldn't try?

How asinine is that? Apple hasn't invented anything new, they're just amazingly great at taking something that already exists to a higher level. Their business model of hardware and software integration is one that cannot and will not be copied by anyone else because it will result in failure and if you remember almost bankrupted Apple. Why does any one or thing need to be the best? These devices might not sell as well as a iPhone nor iPad but they don't have to to be a moneymaker for their perspective companies.

And of course by that argument no one ever invents anything, since things don't simply materialize from alternate dimensions.

Nevertheless, it's easy to see that Apple really did revolutionize several markets with the introduction of the iPhone and iPad. Unless you want to hang your hat on the threadbare "all that other stuff was about to happen anyway, Apple just happened to be slightly ahead of the curve" (which at this point at least requires you to imagine that Apple is incredibly, and repeatedly, lucky) you have to admit that the mobile computing world was transformed entirely after the introduction of the iPhone, and again after the introduction of the iPad (which, you might recall, was widely derided as being pointless and which is now the template for many, many devices).

Folks get irritable about this process because the same people repeatedly slam Apple for making toys and putting bling over functionality or just generally being irrelevant, then turn around and crow about the inevitable copies being awesome and kicking Apple's ass.

Without Apple, there wouldn't be any Android as we know it, and certainly not the slew of "awesome" tablets that are now coming to market. It would seem like a little credit where credit is do might be in order, but some folks find Apple so loathsome that they not only refuse to acknowledge the source of the new paradigms, but do completely lame things like posting pictures of an irrelevant touch screen feature phone that beat the iPhone to market by a few months, as that somehow obviated that incredible changes that Apple has engendered.
  • Reply 82 of 95
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Here's the official rebuttal from the Android / Linux camp:

2600 will r00t j00! 1337 4EVER!!!! Apple si 4 sh33p!!!!

• Reply 83 of 95
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And of course by that argument no one ever invents anything, since things don't simply materialize from alternate dimensions.

Nevertheless, it's easy to see that Apple really did revolutionize several markets with the introduction of the iPhone and iPad. Unless you want to hang your hat on the threadbare "all that other stuff was about to happen anyway, Apple just happened to be slightly ahead of the curve" (which at this point at least requires you to imagine that Apple is incredibly, and repeatedly, lucky) you have to admit that the mobile computing world was transformed entirely after the introduction of the iPhone, and again after the introduction of the iPad (which, you might recall, was widely derided as being pointless and which is now the template for many, many devices).

Folks get irritable about this process because the same people repeatedly slam Apple for making toys and putting bling over functionality or just generally being irrelevant, then turn around and crow about the inevitable copies being awesome and kicking Apple's ass.

Without Apple, there wouldn't be any Android as we know it, and certainly not the slew of "awesome" tablets that are now coming to market. It would seem like a little credit where credit is do might be in order, but some folks find Apple so loathsome that they not only refuse to acknowledge the source of the new paradigms, but do completely lame things like posting pictures of an irrelevant touch screen feature phone that beat the iPhone to market by a few months, as that somehow obviated that incredible changes that Apple has engendered.

I give Apple all the credit in the world and don't imagine them as lucky but as very imaginative.

What I take is the automatic dismissal of any non-Apple device by some of the people here. Its either "what a POS" if its something different or "They copied Apple" if its similar. I love my Apple products but also thoroughly enjoy using my Android phone.
  • Reply 84 of 95
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Can't we all just get along? It's not as if we reek in the same profits as these huge megacorporations do anyways
  • Reply 85 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

You've only been here in AI since October. Hang out a while. That's just how it goes here, reason plays little role.

They could release the greatest product ever, and it would be absolutely slated by 98% of the posters here, even though they have only read what you and I have read so far. Unreal, but I keep coming back for a good laugh at the bois.
  • Reply 86 of 95
    honest to god, i dont think ive ever posted on here before (but been reading and registered for years). whats with most of you lot? bash bash bash bash bash. i bought an ipad on day 1 (and have a macbook and iphone) but just sold it knowing theres a new one bound out shortly. can you not admit that the ios format is getting a bit old? yes the new android os is 'flashy' and childlike perhaps? but it looks cool.. tbh im insanely bored of the ios format now and want a change... im not saying its crap, its last me and been happy with it, sort of. apple make good solid products, limited features, but solid products. thats what gets me... really bad as of late. the new ipad 2 when it arrives no doubt will look the part...have a usb port, bigger speaker or whatever, but have we heard of any new ios for it? one which will give it features it should have like a proper dashboard simular to android? we know it wont happen... apple are consistent with what they do with their software...it works, but its boring.... before i bought into buying an iphone every year, it would get excited about a new phone every year...always something different... new style, new interface... a new toy to explore. thesedays.... with the iphone series... you get a slight revision (like the macbook tradition) and newer 'AMAZING' sofware... which basically looks the exact same apart from you have facetime...wow..., like we didnt have video calling on mobiles before the iphone?...which WORKED ON MOBILE NETWORKS.... its crazy that apple make out its a new technology to what i have to assume are newbies, when in fact its been out... and not been restricted to wifi networks... which in the new iphone will be FREAKING AMAZING AND OUT OF THE WORLD to have ...you guessed it..., back on mobile networks!? its a major grip i have and needs to be off my chest.

apple isnt amazing, can people just admit that? yes, they bring out good products which look cool and to an extent, work well... and they are a superb quality (for a price... but that not something i worry about... you have the money or you dont). have people looked, for example at the soon to be delivered to many people, notion ink adam? (tablet)... i realise it isnt shiny, its plastic and its not aluminium,...but... its features ARE AMAZING... its come after the ipad yes... probably would be here without apple giving a shiny object to the world first, but the fact is... its here, as are many others.

give them a chance and stop bashing apple.

and thats my 2 cents.

peace out!lol
  • Reply 87 of 95
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I give Apple all the credit in the world and don't imagine them as lucky but as very imaginative.

What I take is the automatic dismissal of any non-Apple device by some of the people here. Its either "what a POS" if its something different or "They copied Apple" if its similar. I love my Apple products but also thoroughly enjoy using my Android phone.

Sure, no argument with that. I do think, though, that some of the vitriol is driven by the (not unjustified, IMO) feeling that many of the people who claim supremacy for what are for all intents and purposes Apple knock-offs (no matter how well engineered or specced) refuse to even admit the debt these devices owe Apple. As if, say, the Motorola tablet just sprung from the minds of that company with no reference to Apple and that Apple is now somehow being "left behind" as more capable manufacturers bring their chops to bear.

That's ahistorical nonsense but such a prevalent attitude it's no wonder some Apple enthusiasts have a hair trigger.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Sure, no argument with that. I do think, though, that some of the vitriol is driven by the (not unjustified, IMO) feeling that many of the people who claim supremacy for what are for all intents and purposes Apple knock-offs (no matter how well engineered or specced) refuse to even admit the debt these devices owe Apple. As if, say, the Motorola tablet just sprung from the minds of that company with no reference to Apple and that Apple is now somehow being "left behind" as more capable manufacturers bring their chops to bear.

That's ahistorical nonsense but such a prevalent attitude it's no wonder some Apple enthusiasts have a hair trigger.

Sure a lot of them have the same form as the iPad. But when it comes down to it, how many variations on the tablet design an you actually build? They all have to have a screen and they all have to have similar methods of input (camera, keyboard, sensors, etc).

In a way, you also have to give credit where credit is due to Apple's competitors for coming up with a few tricks of their own. For example, the slider tablet ASUS made. They managed to fit a full keyboard into their tablet with no huge impact on the overall thickness and they made it operate in a way that works.

I find it hard to believe that Apple isn't paying attention at all to its competitors. The tech world is an endless game of leapfrog.
  • Reply 89 of 95
    Quote:

And, as always, Apple introduces a product by talking about the experience of using it, and advertises by showing what you can do with it, then the competition responds by shouting about specs.

Which is exactly what I predicted would happen, since it's what always happens. The bitching about how the original iPad was a useless toy and just a big iPhone is now conveniently forgotten and all that matters is that other manufacturers can do a credible job of exactly copying the iPad with slighter better specs, or slightly lower cost, or both, at which point such devices are totally awesome and kick the iPad's ass.

In your world maybe-not the real world.
  • Reply 90 of 95
    All I care about is that it be made of cheap black plastic, difficult to sync, and have no place to take it for service. And offer it only thru phone companies, the thieving modern day railroad barons.

SENT FROM MY IPAD
  • Reply 91 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Sure a lot of them have the same form as the iPad. But when it comes down to it, how many variations on the tablet design an you actually build? They all have to have a screen and they all have to have similar methods of input (camera, keyboard, sensors, etc).

In a way, you also have to give credit where credit is due to Apple's competitors for coming up with a few tricks of their own. For example, the slider tablet ASUS made. They managed to fit a full keyboard into their tablet with no huge impact on the overall thickness and they made it operate in a way that works.

I find it hard to believe that Apple isn't paying attention at all to its competitors. The tech world is an endless game of leapfrog.

You sound like a perfect customer for Windows 7.
  • Reply 92 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamj84 View Post

honest to god, i dont think ive ever posted on here before (but been reading and registered for years). whats with most of you lot? bash bash bash bash bash. i bought an ipad on day 1 (and have a macbook and iphone) but just sold it knowing theres a new one bound out shortly. can you not admit that the ios format is getting a bit old? yes the new android os is 'flashy' and childlike perhaps? but it looks cool.. tbh im insanely bored of the ios format now and want a change... im not saying its crap, its last me and been happy with it, sort of. apple make good solid products, limited features, but solid products. thats what gets me... really bad as of late. the new ipad 2 when it arrives no doubt will look the part...have a usb port, bigger speaker or whatever, but have we heard of any new ios for it? one which will give it features it should have like a proper dashboard simular to android? we know it wont happen... apple are consistent with what they do with their software...it works, but its boring.... before i bought into buying an iphone every year, it would get excited about a new phone every year...always something different... new style, new interface... a new toy to explore. thesedays.... with the iphone series... you get a slight revision (like the macbook tradition) and newer 'AMAZING' sofware... which basically looks the exact same apart from you have facetime...wow..., like we didnt have video calling on mobiles before the iphone?...which WORKED ON MOBILE NETWORKS.... its crazy that apple make out its a new technology to what i have to assume are newbies, when in fact its been out... and not been restricted to wifi networks... which in the new iphone will be FREAKING AMAZING AND OUT OF THE WORLD to have ...you guessed it..., back on mobile networks!? its a major grip i have and needs to be off my chest.

apple isnt amazing, can people just admit that? yes, they bring out good products which look cool and to an extent, work well... and they are a superb quality (for a price... but that not something i worry about... you have the money or you dont). have people looked, for example at the soon to be delivered to many people, notion ink adam? (tablet)... i realise it isnt shiny, its plastic and its not aluminium,...but... its features ARE AMAZING... its come after the ipad yes... probably would be here without apple giving a shiny object to the world first, but the fact is... its here, as are many others.

give them a chance and stop bashing apple.

and thats my 2 cents.

peace out!lol

Dude you write like a high school dropout. Keep your Asus.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob

You sound like a perfect customer for Windows 7.

The Asus Slider uses Android 3.0, not Windows 7.

PS: What’s with the barrage of assholish comments to people?
  • Reply 94 of 95
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You run into other problems once you have moving parts. It'll be interesting to see how long before people report broken keyboards from dropping it or wearing it out.

That's why Apple creates a solid device. Fewer mechanical problems.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

For example, the slider tablet ASUS made. They managed to fit a full keyboard into their tablet with no huge impact on the overall thickness and they made it operate in a way that works.

• Reply 95 of 95
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted