Comments

• Reply 61 of 251
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 62 of 251
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

iWork 09... I'm unhappy about that. Perhaps the new version is being held back for OS X Lion, but I think they need to say something to assuage the inevitable frustrations.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy.

Interestingly, it lists Page as "installed", but it doesn't list TextWrangler as installed. Granted that's a free app. But it would be nice for the system to recognize other vendor's apps as having been installed. Probably because the App Store can only recognize its own type of DRM? That would make sense. Recognizing the existence of an app that has "dubious providence" would open the door too widely to fake installations & piracy to trick the app store into saying "You have a new update."

I thought the same thing then realized that if Apple checked all your installed apps and reported back to the mother ship the masses would go insane. Think of all those with bootlegged apps installed.
  • Reply 63 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

The old downloads section was a pain in the as* to find anything in. Nonetheless, it was a valuable resource referring to how many apps? 20 thousand?

The new app store opens with a thousand. That says something right there. How many great apps will not be found by new users in particular who simply aren't aware of how or where to find them given the total loss of the downloads referrals?

Nineteen thousand possibilities give or take just vanished from the horizon for lots of people.

Is that progress? Me thinks not.

it took a decade to get 20,000 apps on apple.com/downloads.

The Mac app store will probably hit the 20,000 mark in less than a year.

That's progress!

If my grandmother can figure out how to purchase Apps...that's progress!
  • Reply 64 of 251
    I had 10.6.6 BETA (GM VERSION) installed prior to today. Neither the combo update, or standalone will install. I keep get the dreaded TRIANGLE/Exclamation point on the HD. "can't install update"

Anyone??
  • Reply 65 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I think it's safe to say that more Linux users are familiar with other OSes than users of other OSes are familiar with Linux.

Who can blame Apple customers for not recognizing Ubuntu Software Center when they see the Apple version?

Yep, using Apple kind of similar to speaking English...
  • Reply 66 of 251
    exact message is " MAC OS X Update combined can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update"....
  • Reply 67 of 251
    Quote:

I think it's safe to say that more Linux users are familiar with other OSes than users of other OSes are familiar with Linux.

Who can blame Apple customers for not recognizing Ubuntu Software Center when they see the Apple version?

The Apple version is prettier, that is for sure. That is true with most Apple software/hardware, and a main selling point amongst most consumers.
  • Reply 68 of 251
    Quote:

If any of your friends are Apple-authorized resellers you know that Apple's been pissing them off for years, even long before the Apple stores.

It's difficult to always save anybody when development happens. That's what stalls many companies. Apple has decided to put the most recent developments at the hands of the end users top priority before protecting any middle man.

Tough for the middle man, but in the long run a winner for everybody else.
  • Reply 69 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungleland26 View Post

I had 10.6.6 BETA (GM VERSION) installed prior to today. Neither the combo update, or standalone will install. I keep get the dreaded TRIANGLE/Exclamation point on the HD. "can't install update"

Anyone??

Three words ... 'your back up'. Surely you made a clone (see Carbon Copy Cloner) of the boot partition prior to installing a beta? Please tell me you did ....
  • Reply 70 of 251
    Where's the iWeb update? ...oh, right.
  • Reply 71 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Queue the "walled garden" complaints in 3... 2... 1...

If there are complaints of that nature, they would be terrificly wrong.

That would be like calling Android a walled garden because Amazon has a curated store.

iOS isn't a walled garden either (although the iOS application system is) because the internet (represented by the standard technologies its based on) is completely unfettered.
  • Reply 72 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

It's difficult to always save anybody when development happens. That's what stalls many companies. Apple has decided to put the most recent developments at the hands of the end users top priority before protecting any middle man.

Tough for the middle man, but in the long run a winner for everybody else.

That has been happening for a long time. I was a major share holder and MD (CEO in US speak) of two 'Apple Centres' in UK and this started in the early 1990s when I sold out and jumped ship. I saw the writing on the wall. The boutique Apple retailers in smaller towns seem to have survived ( we still have one here where I live in FL) but we owned in major city centers and survival there must be gruesome these days if there are any independents even left there.
  • Reply 73 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Three words ... 'your back up'. Surely you made a clone (see Carbon Copy Cloner) of the boot partition prior to installing a beta? Please tell me you did ....

Of course!

Is there any way to just revert to the pre beta, and leave all other settings, apps, docs etc in the current?
  • Reply 74 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Where's the iWeb update? ...oh, right.

My current number one wish is a really, really awesome update to iWeb, maybe even iWeb Pro.
  • Reply 75 of 251
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    FEATURE REQUEST:

Automatic update downloads, but not when I'm on 3G.
  • Reply 76 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungleland26 View Post

Of course!

Is there any way to just revert to the pre beta, and leave all other settings, apps, docs etc in the current?

Phew! I bet there isn't a way back, I've had many a similar experience and the time to fiddle around isn't worth it with a clone sitting there IMHO. Just clone back and start over.

Even a Time Machine restore maybe be slower than cloning. You could try TM on just the system folders (or even dragging from clone) but it maybe a real mess and you'd need to boot from an alt boot partition.

But hey, it's fun
  • Reply 77 of 251
    Quote:

My current number one wish is a really, really awesome update to iWeb, maybe even iWeb Pro.

Been waiting for iWeb Pro forever. At least a refreshed series of templates would be nice.
  • Reply 78 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Been waiting for iWeb Pro forever. At least a refreshed series of templates would be nice.

Do you, like me, use iWebSite to allow multiple sites?
  • Reply 79 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

That's a steal.

In Sweden, Aperture 3 is 599 SEK in the new App Store while still in apple store web page it's 1999 SEK.

Some boxes to scrap...
  • Reply 80 of 251
    Quote:

Phew! I bet there isn't a way back, I've had many a similar experience and the time to fiddle around isn't worth it with a clone sitting there IMHO. Just clone back and start over.

Even a Time Machine restore maybe be slower than cloning. You could try TM on just the system folders (or even dragging from clone) but it maybe a real mess and you'd need to boot from an alt boot partition.

But hey, it's fun

I'd be fine with a TM restore.....but I'll be going back in history. I want to keep my current apps, my currents docs etc... I suppose I could move them to my raid array, but I wonder if that will impact my registrations/activations on them when I move back to the fresh OS....