Evidence points to Apple launch of Verizon iPhone on Feb. 3 - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

so... not matter what happens, you were wrong.

This doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

Wouldn't it be better that the new iphone had a dual-core processor, 4G on AT&T's network, DLNA ready and WiFi Hotspot/Tethering/Call ability? You fanboys never seem to get priorities right.

1) This is about a Verizon iPhone, not the 5th generation iPhone. Personally, I?d like to have the next iPhone out now but Summer seems pretty standard and my ?fanboy priorities? are pragmatic and not to expect the next generation iPhone until then.

2) Which ?4G? chips are ready for small smartphones? Note that at CES the smartphones coming out much later this year with LTE are larger devices while the new super slim smartphones will still have ?3G?. There are reasons for that and I don?t think Apple can circumvent those (Do I lose my fanboy status for saying that? ).

3) Tethering already exists with AT&T. It?s foolishly pricey costing you an additional $20/month without actually giving you any extra data usage.

4) I also already have the ability to make calls. I?ve had this feature since iPhone OS 1.0.

5) WiFi Hotspot is big but think MyFi is bigger and can offer more battery life for the device. I have a feeling Apple won?t add this feature because it will drain the battery quickly.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

If this really does happen, then I predict two things...

1. Verizon and it's touted network will get crushed by data needs just like AT&T was

2. Verizon's network will be well prepared because they've seen what the iPhone does to a network the last 3 years and everyone will easily forget that they've had all this extra time to prepare for the smart phone data barrages and blast AT&T even more than before.

Millions of new Droid phones did not impact Verizon's network so your argument that the iPhone on VZW would crush VZW's network is unsubstantiated.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

Millions of new Droid phones did not impact Verizon's network so your argument that the iPhone on VZW would crush VZW's network is unsubstantiated.

Also keep in mind Verizon's 3g network is 5 times larger then at&t's. Much larger backhaul then any Carrier. I remember the days when people used to say Verizon spent too much on the infrastructure..... No one argues that one anymore. You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Good decision. Verizon is worst then AT&T in just about every area. Verizon might have better coverage in some areas of the country, but the company actively tries to take money from you in the form of hidden fees. Customer Service stinks. I have the company trying to collect a debt from me that I really don't owe, which was incurred ten years ago.

AT&T has its faults, but Verizon really does stink.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It is about time for it to happen. However I am sticking with AT&T for 2 reasons. First, my unlimited data plan. Two, if some users leave to Verizon, there will be less network congestion for those of us who will stay with AT&T.

I am not going to Verizon, even though I am contract-free with AT&T.

Yes, No Verizon for me!!!

• Reply 26 of 63
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Your response really isn't substantiated either. It assumes Droid phone users use the same amount of data and the number of people using the phones equal iPhones on AT&T.

Further, data is handled differently on Verizon. You can't access the data and voice lines at the same time. On AT&T you can.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

• Reply 27 of 63
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Good decision. Verizon is worst then AT&T in just about every area. Verizon might have better coverage in some areas of the country, but the company actively tries to take money from you in the form of hidden fees. Customer Service stinks. I have the company trying to collect a debt from me that I really don't owe, which was incurred ten years ago.

That's not what the latest customer survey shows.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_792847.html

"AT&T has distinguished itself as "the lowest-scoring cell-phone carrier in the U.S,"

I have AT&T and in my area I don't have a problem. I did notice some problems when we went to Orlando for Thanksgiving. Even though you get racked over the coals with charges, I like being able to use my iPhone overseas. But, if there is a VZ iPhone, I may have to change just so I can expand my coverage area.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It?s not as if Verizon ever made handset vendors add an Internet portal button that was strategically placed to maximize accidental presses, incurring $90M in revenues and a class acton lawsuit. Oh wait?
  • Reply 29 of 63
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Is anyone else starting to suspect some of these leaks recently have been orchestrated to some extent? It seems like almost overt endorsement when Apple asks YouTube to take a clip down. Now we all know it's a genuine clip...
  • Reply 30 of 63
    I think verizon will get the iPhone 4 in February. It will be white. That is all.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    macm37macm37 Posts: 41member
    Keeping up with all of the rumors' prediction, this date sounds correct. The announcement will come in a few weeks at Macworld, and the phones will start selling soon afterward since Verizon has them stocked in their warehouse {http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/12/13/carrier.already.has.phone.in.stock.source.claims/} and ready to sell when Apple gives the word. Based on this article though: http://www.electronista.com/articles...esting.stages/, I may wait until iPhone 5. It basically says that 2 iphones will get sold in 2011; the one that is going to be sold on February is the one in "'AP' stage"; and the one that is going to be released on the normal schedule, which is usually after WWDC, is the one in "'Engineering Validation Test (EVT)' phase.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

That's not what the latest customer survey shows.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_792847.html

"AT&T has distinguished itself as "the lowest-scoring cell-phone carrier in the U.S,"...

Customer surveys don't have much to do with the facts though.

The purpose of a customer survey is only that it accurately reflects what the customers think, or want, or want to think, or think they want. It necessarily draws on the anecdotal evidence and is based on the experience of isolated individuals, including any biases or misinformation they may have come across, measured against their own (personal, non-scientific), ideas of how things "should be."

None of that has anything to do with objectively determining whether one network is better than the other. Lots of people believe lots of things and the facts don't generally have much to do with it.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    rkrickrkrick Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

This doesn't make sense.

Yes it kind of does. The OP predicted that 2 things would happen when he should have said 1 of 2 things would happen. Basically the OP states that Verizon's network would be crushed and then that it wouldn't be crushed. Would have made most sense if the statement was "no matter what you will be 1/2 wrong and 1/2 right".
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macm37 View Post

The announcement will come in a few weeks at Macworld...

With the MacWorld Expo being held on January 27-29 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco I suppose that it?s possible Apple will attend and do the Keynote, but I haven?t heard anyone else suggest this.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I think verizon will get the iPhone 4 in February. It will be white. That is all.

When/if they do get the iPhone, Verizon will get the same color(s) that is available to the rest of the world.

That is all.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    That report is talking about their mobile service. TBell was talking about Verizon's business practices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

I have AT&T and in my area I don't have a problem. I did notice some problems when we went to Orlando for Thanksgiving. Even though you get racked over the coals with charges, I like being able to use my iPhone overseas. But, if there is a VZ iPhone, I may have to change just so I can expand my coverage area.

• Reply 37 of 63
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

It Really won't be white. Not exclusively and probably not at all.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With the MacWorld Expo being held on January 27-29 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco I suppose that it’s possible Apple will attend and do the Keynote, but I haven’t heard anyone else suggest this.

Apple is done with Macworld and all other tradeshows.

And why should they attend? They get far more bang for their buck by running their own media events when all focus is on them. More importantly, they get total control over the timing, venue, invitees, message, etc.

Steve is done at tradeshows.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macm37 View Post

Keeping up with all of the rumors' prediction, this date sounds correct. The announcement will come in a few weeks at Macworld,

small issue. Apple no longer attends MacWorld. And the CEO of Verizon publicly stated that if there is ever a Verizon iPhone, Apple will announce it

So who is going to be making this big announcement at MW
  • Reply 40 of 63
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 238member
    Everyone is wrong. On Feb 3, Apple will release The Wiggles in high definition audio via iTunes!