Google Android passes Apple's iPhone in total US subscribers - comScore

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I am skeptical whether Apple doesn't want at least some magical threshold of market share. For one, market share is essential to the viability of the platform in the mobile space. Nobody's going to make apps for you, if your platform isn't popular. And with the iPhone being a giant app launcher, that's a big deal.

There is no doubt that Apple want s some minimum marketshare number but I don't think they care much that they are in second place.
  • Reply 162 of 163
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I actually think this concept is far more revolutionary (if it catches on):

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/m...dock-hands-on/

It's called a Folio. Something Palm should have built anyway. In very many ways it's already superseded by the iPad and other tablets...and their docks.

In any case, nothing is revolutionary unless it catches on...or built at all. Lots of prototypes shown at CES end up never seeing the light of day as an actual product.

Quote:

Imagine never having to synch photos, documents, media, etc. It's all on your phone. And your phone powers whatever device you need.

I have 1.2 TB of photos, documents and media. Good luck with sticking all that on your phone. By the time 1TB is reasonable I'll have 4-5TB worth of stuff.

Quote:

And they can build the docks quite cheaply. That laptop dock is probably less than $300. And they could probably make a tablet dock for about the same. Imagine just being able to snap in your iPhone and instantly getting an iPad. And then taking that same phone and snapping it into a desktop dock when you are doing some serious productivity stuff or into your TV when you just want to watch videos. Combine that with Hulu and Netflix and you can replace your cable box, Apple TV, etc.

That's an interesting idea on paper. In practice the performance trades are rather high and an aTV is only $99. Plus my wife would be highly annoyed if I was carrying the phone that acts like an aTV. My laptop has a Core i5 and that far exceeds anything you can put into a phone.

Plus the iPhone 3Gs has been known to work with the iPad dock for a while and you can connect your phone to a TV already. There have been AV docks for iPhones before. It just doesn't work out all that well in the general case. Usable as a single person maybe. Not so well in other scenarios.

Docking a phone isn't all that innovative...it's simply applying the laptop dock to a phone.

Apple's key strength is executing well...innovation is an adjunct to that in that they tend to use the same concepts and components in far better executed ways.
  • Reply 163 of 163
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I urge all of you to watch this interview:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/e...honeycomb-tab/

I think there's certainly evidence there that Google is aware of Android's UX flaws and I expect they'll be working to fix them. Especially with this guy in the driver's seat.

This should be good. Of course I thought that when they had guys like Bowman on staff...who was Google's Visual Design Lead but left for Twitter because of engineering based design decisions.

Hopefully the culture has been changed a little bit or he's been empowered to bash some heads when they get myopic. Given his comment about growing up playing Street Fighter but now has to play chess indicates that maybe once the honeymoon period ends he might end up with that same constrained feeling.

http://stopdesign.com/archive/2009/0...ye-google.html