Verizon media event on Jan. 11 fuels Apple iPhone speculation

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!!!1!!!11!

This is the kind of spontaneous publicity that MAKES people!
  • Reply 62 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I would imagine 4.3 for a new iPad, but possibly for a CDMA phone as well. An updated stack for the new radio would be needed, at least.

I have a suspicion that Apple might have been building CDMA prototypes for a long time for when they added additional carriers.

Just like Mac OS X was running on x86 for a long time before announcing the transition.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonQ13 View Post

I have a suspicion that Apple might have been building CDMA prototypes for a long time for when they added additional carriers.

Just like Mac OS X was running on x86 for a long time before announcing the transition.

Remember that Apple went to Verizon first. Verizon turned them down.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Remember that Apple went to Verizon first. Verizon turned them down.

I don?t think that was ever confirmed by Apple. We only know what Verizon said and maybe that?s what Apple?s reps told them but that could have simply been a tactic. While I think it?s possible they went to Verizon first I think it?s impossible to assume that they only ever planned on going to Verizon unless they were turned down. We have to remember that GSM-based devices were then and now the world standard so it?s possible Apple only used Verizon to get better leverage with AT&T. That?s what I would have done.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Unlikely as release dates, at least for iPad 2. It would be unlikely that iPad 2 would not require a new SDK to exploit new features, or that there would be no new features to exploit, so developers would need advance notice of the new SDK to be prepared at launch. As an announce date for iPad 2, it's possible, but would not require vacation restrictions.

Why would an additional iphone carrier warrant an Apple event? It wouldn't. And it won't.

Jan 11 Verizon announcement

Presale of Verizon iPhone until...

Feb 3rd.

This iPhone on sale could rival the very first Att with lines at stores I think
  • Reply 66 of 82
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    Now that Verizon has gotten the opportunity lets hope they use their heads and don'tmess it up.

Its obvious Verizon needs Apple even with thier Androids etc. And the best thing of all is the competition for the customer. Hopefull Verizon will have some great Data plans etc to get the ball rolling.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I was tempted to say "complete BS, forget about it, this is not the vPhone!" If for no other reason then for it not being in Apple's HQ or during apple hosted event. However with so many sources saying the same thing I am willing to give this some credibility.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

If this is what it is...

Then the announcement will occur as Verizon CEO Seidenberg says, without further adeui, please welcome....Steve Jobs.

C'mon that's wack. Steve Jobs would be the ultimate "And one more thing"
  • Reply 69 of 82
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

C'mon that's wack. Steve Jobs would be the ultimate "And one more thing"

Not going to happen. The best you might get is a pre-recorded message welcoming Verizon to the iPhone fold.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    It is going to be a Verison iPhone announcement. Clear and simple. Will Steve be on stage, maybe for a cameo appearance, but that is it. And I agree with what poke said. Verison adopting the iPhone to its network is going to spell major trouble for Android. Android adoption hasn't been that great on the AT&T network because it has the iPhone. I think you will see a major shift if it goes down like this:

Jan 11 - iPhone is announced on the Verison Network. Pre-sales begin.

Feb 3 - CDMA iPhone is released to the public.

I am also going to make a prediction: CDMA iPhone will pre-sell 1.5 million units. I think there is that much pent up demand for this product.
  • Reply 71 of 82
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Not going to happen. The best you might get is a pre-recorded message welcoming Verizon to the iPhone fold.

I think Steve will turn up, even if just for a brief moment and just a few comments. Phil will probably do the press and q&a, mingling with the Verizon people, etc.

The US is Apple's largest single market and a Verizon iPhone potentially doubles iPhone sales in the US.

Verizon is also the frontline of iOS vs Android in 2011, at least in the US.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think Steve will turn up, even if just for a brief moment and just a few comments. Phil will probably do the press and q&a, mingling with the Verizon people, etc.

The US is Apple's largest single market and a Verizon iPhone potentially doubles iPhone sales in the US.

Verizon is also the frontline of iOS vs Android in 2011, at least in the US.

Could be but I just have a hard time seeing Jobs showing up at a Verizon event where you know barbs will be thrown towards ATT. I say he wants to keep Apple neutral and as far away from the event as possible. Like I said, I can see a pre-recorded message welcoming Verizon to the iPhone community but not much more. We'll know next week.

I wonder if the Verizon iPhone will be unadulterated - that would be a big concession for Verizon and demonstrate that they felt they needed the iPhone on their network.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Tell me when the iphone gets blu-ray....otherwise yawn
  • Reply 74 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Tell me when the iphone gets blu-ray....otherwise yawn

I'm curious what your point in being in this subform, much less this thread, is.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    ALL BORING- Give us the iPhone 5 without antenna gate - NOW.
  • Reply 76 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

ALL BORING- Give us the iPhone 5 without antenna gate - NOW.

It's hilarious that you still think there was a widespread antenna problem.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's hilarious that you still think there was a widespread antenna problem.

He doesn't - he just likes stirring the pot.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Like I said, I can see a pre-recorded message welcoming Verizon to the iPhone community but not much more. We'll know next week.

Pre-recorded? Nah. Facetime.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Pre-recorded? Nah. Facetime.

That's an interesting possibility.
  • Reply 80 of 82
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

That's an interesting possibility.

Yah...say Seidenberg says something along the lines of "the Verizon iPhone has all the features you know and love...like facetime. Here, let me show you..."

Big screen shows the face time UI with Steve Jobs as the contact. Boom. Crowd cheers.

Jobs makes an "appearance". Says a few kind things about how great it is to have Verizon (finally) on board and they hang up...maybe with a quip from Steve to the crowd about "See everyone soon in person" at the end.

It's remote enough that it's not an Apple thing and HE didn't have to travel TO someone else's keynote and AT&T can't grouse all that much because there's no physical appearance. Just a little...face time...