Verizon media event on Jan. 11 fuels Apple iPhone speculation

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon has invited members of the media to an event next Tuesday, Jan. 11, in New York City, fueling rumors of an impending iPhone announcement.



On Friday, Verizon sent out formal invitations to members of the press for an event to be held at the Lincoln Center. The date -- next Tuesday, four days away -- is after the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas concludes.



The invitation states that the event will feature Verizon Wireless president Lowell McAdam, but no other details were provided. Of course, Verizon has been heavily rumored to gain access to the iPhone, and end its exclusivity with rival carrier AT&T, in the near future.



Typically, Apple holds events to introduce new products at its own corporate headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. If next week's event is for the much-anticipated Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone, it would be unique for Verizon to make the announcement instead of Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs.



This week, AppleInsider first reported that Apple has begun quietly restricting employee vacations at the end of January and in early February. On Friday, another rumor surfaced, suggesting that Apple could have a major product launch scheduled for Feb. 3.



Also this week, photos and video of a component claimed to be from a new iPhone, showing a new stainless steel frame and antenna design, were released online. The video showing the part was removed from YouTube after a legal complaint was filed by Apple.



Update: TechCrunch reports that "Jim Dalrymple of The Loop (which exclusively covers Apple)" confirmed that he has been invited to the Verizon event, while Gizmodo, while "normally very friendly with Verizon," says it was not invited.



Gizmodo has not been invited to Apple-run events ever since the site obtained an iPhone 4 prototype last summer, and then refused to return it to the company until it published a series of articles with photos of the device as well as a picture of a legitimizing demand letter it required from Apple in exchange for the part's return, something Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs alluded to as extortion.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 82
    If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...





    All the clues fit nicely into place don't they?
  • Reply 2 of 82
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    It would be a smart move for Apple to let Verizon have the spotlight on this one. For if they have an iPhone 5 announcement this summer...well, even a fanboi would start to .
  • Reply 3 of 82
    Yeah, this actually makes more sense than Apple doing the announcement themselves. After all, if it really is "just" the iPhone 4 coming to Verizon, then there isn't really a whole lot for Apple to say about the phone itself. Presumably the software will not be any different, and the only hardware differences will be whatever is necessary to make it CDMA and compatible with Verizon's frequencies. So what else is there for Apple to talk about? I think Steve Jobs might make an appearance at this event, but he probably won't be the star of the show.



    This event will primarily be an opportunity for Verizon to talk about how their service with the iPhone will be different from AT&T's.
  • Reply 4 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post


    Yeah, this actually makes more sense than Apple doing the announcement themselves. After all, if it really is "just" the iPhone 4 coming to Verizon, then there isn't really a whole lot for Apple to say about the phone itself. Presumably the software will not be any different, and the only hardware differences will be whatever is necessary to make it CDMA and compatible with Verizon's frequencies. So what else is there for Apple to talk about? I think Steve Jobs might make an appearance at this event, but he probably won't be the star of the show.



    This event will primarily be an opportunity for Verizon to talk about how their service with the iPhone will be different from AT&T's.



    While I?m fairly convinced of the February 3rd release date and less convinced about this Verizon event being iPhone focused, what you state is my take on why this seems feasible.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    hal 9000hal 9000 Posts: 101member
    Apple stock shot up in the last 15 minutes of trading today. Did this have something to do with it?
  • Reply 6 of 82
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,752member
    This is actually pretty funny. Gizmodo is convinced it is iPhone related because they are always invited to Verizon events and were excluded from being invited to this one. Obviously, if it is an Apple controlled/involved event, Giz wouldn't be invited.

    http://gizmodo.com/5727934/the-veriz...-on-january-11



    Also, some regular Apple oriented tech writers are invited that say they are not normally personally invited to Verizon event (but I guess would be to Apple events).



    I wonder if Gruber is invited. That would pretty much seal it.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    While I’m fairly convinced of the February 3rd release date and less convinced about this Verizon event being iPhone focused, what you state is my take on why this seems feasible.



    Well, if they are doing this at Lincoln Center, it's not going to be some mundane announcement. The iPhone on Verizon would be a big enough event to justify that, not sure what else would. The January 11 and February 3 dates could both be correct: one an announcement date, the other a release date.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    This is actually pretty funny. Gizmodo is convinced it is iPhone related because they are always invited to Verizon events and were excluded from being invited to this one. Obviously, if it is an Apple controlled/involved event, Giz wouldn't be invited. ...



    Well, that does pretty much give it away that it's an Apple related announcement. Unless their invitation was lost in the mail, of course.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,752member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Well, that does pretty much give it away that it's an Apple related announcement. Unless their invitation was lost in the mail, of course.



    True. I think Giz implies that the fact V hasn't replied to their request for an explanation is further proof. It's funny logic, but it actually makes sense.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    This is perfect. If Apple do the announcement and have Verizon show up, that's one thing. But if Verizon does the announcement, it's almost like an apology. I suspect Apple will keep it low-key. Jobs might not even show up.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,525member
    The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!!!1!!!11!
  • Reply 12 of 82
    It might be the most anticipated carrier for the iPhone, but does Apple really need to make the announcement? Did Apple go around an make an annoucement alongside all of the other carriers around the world? It's right that it is a Verizon event IMO.



    I'm glad that this is going to happen finally just so we can move on to other rumours. Speaking of which, Apple will probably hold their own event late January for the iPad and Macbooks as they've done in the past, which will be all the more reason for the vacation blackout periods.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    jdlinkjdlink Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post


    Apple stock shot up in the last 15 minutes of trading today. Did this have something to do with it?



    VZ is down for the day. Go figure.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    I would find it odd if Apple held an event to introduce a new carrier partner -- wouldn't want to diss those buying their phones through another carrier or retailer. Most likely Apple would only hold the event if it involved an entirely new product.



    My guess: next Apple event will be the week of January 24 for iPad 2. But I have no evidence of this other than that would be one year from the first iPad event.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,772member
    Raps *Don't, don't, don't, don't, don't believe the HYPE!*
  • Reply 16 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post


    But if Verizon does the announcement, it's almost like an apology.



    Uh, how?



    Quote:

    I suspect Apple will keep it low-key.



    A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA



    The Verizon iPhone announcement. Low-key. Just when I thought the Internet couldn't be any funnier.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    A question though:

    is the iPhone being on verizon already factored into the Apple stock price? It made a push upward towards the end of the day adding a billion or so in market cap. How much is such a deal worth?
  • Reply 18 of 82
    alandailalandail Posts: 689member
    my guess:

    January 11 - Verizon iPhone 4

    February 3 - iPad 2.0
  • Reply 19 of 82
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    This is actually pretty funny. Gizmodo is convinced it is iPhone related because they are always invited to Verizon events and were excluded from being invited to this one. Obviously, if it is an Apple controlled/involved event, Giz wouldn't be invited.

    http://gizmodo.com/5727934/the-veriz...-on-january-11



    Also, some regular Apple oriented tech writers are invited that say they are not normally personally invited to Verizon event (but I guess would be to Apple events).



    I wonder if Gruber is invited. That would pretty much seal it.



    Yep, this is the best evidence by far we have seen in the last 4+ years.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post


    my guess:

    January 11 - Verizon iPhone 4

    February 3 - iPad 2.0



    Unlikely as release dates, at least for iPad 2. It would be unlikely that iPad 2 would not require a new SDK to exploit new features, or that there would be no new features to exploit, so developers would need advance notice of the new SDK to be prepared at launch. As an announce date for iPad 2, it's possible, but would not require vacation restrictions.
Sign In or Register to comment.