Verizon iPhone to attract 9 to 12 million new US users for Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Too many variables here to predict how many Verizon IPhones will be sold. One of the main factors will be if multiple-tasking is available on CDMA another will be s

Special pricing plans etc. Hopefully once the guidelines are set .....the Customer WILL Benefit

As many have said above, it is inconceivable that SJ would allow the iPhone out with less abilities than it has on every other provider. The is no way in hell a lesser iPhone would be released. I am on record with my neck out I know.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

As many have said above, it is inconceivable that SJ would allow the iPhone out with less abilities than it has on every other provider. The is no way in hell a lesser iPhone would be released. I am on record with my neck out I know.

I have to agree with you that SJ would match the ATT version. However lets see the pricing plans the Data limitations if there are any and then we can figure out a more realistic number of IPHONES will be sold.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I betting Verizon iphone is going to be... white. They have been stockpiling it for months just for the Verizon launch.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    Quote:

While I agree with every fiber of my being and in no way do I believe otherwise, remember that Apple has picked up our hopes, dangled them off of the top of the Burj Dubai, and then simply had Mount Everest dropped on the whole building in the past, so there's room for surprise.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I betting Verizon iphone is going to be... white. They have been stockpiling it for months just for the Verizon launch.

NasserAE is in agreement with you. He mentioned this probably back in September when the white iPhone 4s were delayed yet again, so he gets if the most brownie points is you two are right.

I’m talking the opposite position. My reasoning is twofold…
    1. Apple did not expect the white iPhone 4 to have manufacturing issues. When you consider how long ago a deal with Verizon would have been inked and when they stated the white iPhone wasn’t going to arrive until next year the timelines just don’t jive for me.

2. Apple’s best move isn’t to take sides with a carrier. Sure, they had the AT&T contract first, but with multiple carriers under one nation they need not to favour one over the other. A white iPhone 4 would indicate otherwise, IMO.

Now I won’t ignore the fact that Apple stated the white iPhone 4 won’t come until next Spring which is the season before new iPhones are released, that there seem to be plenty of authentic looking white iPhone kits coming of China, that Apple could use this as a way to push the aging iPhone 4 on Verizon a little easier, and that contracts can be altered at any time and Verizon or Apple could have convinced the other to make this happen… but I’m playing my bet against it.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple?s best move is to take sides with a carrier. Sure, they had the AT&T contract first, but with multiple carriers under one nation they need not to favour one over the other. A white iPhone 4 would indicate otherwise, IMO.

Agreed. Apple wants to be neutral. If Verizon gets a white iPhone, so will ATT. Just the same as I believe that both carriers get iPhone 5 this summer.

Apple is probably already doing the ground work to add Sprint and T-Mobile next year.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're high if you think Verizon's service is a leap forward. I'm getting rid of it.

That they are 5 times bigger the at&t's 3g service? That they already launched 4gLTE in many cities which will be the global adoption over the next several years. That they have the highest customer satisfaction rate since being a company, Is that backwards? I bad?
  • Reply 48 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

That they are 5 times bigger the at&t's 3g service? That they already launched 4gLTE in many cities which will be the global adoption over the next several years. That they have the highest customer satisfaction rate since being a company, Is that backwards? I bad?

They had no choice but to have ?3G? if they wanted data. I don?t think their data coverage area is any smaller than AT&T?s ever was and not all of that ?3G? data coverage was fast.

Those rural areas can have data speeds slower than AT&T?s ?2G? data. For instance, they were claim ?3G? data with CDMA2000?s 1x designation with is under 100kbps in the real world. That?s faster than GPRS but slower than EDGE.

See how using thee generational markets are pointless across disparate networks?

Verizon also had no choice but to jump onto LTE. EV-DO was pointless to keep investing in even though they could have increased the speeds with Rev. B. HS*PA on the other hand, still ?3G?, has a maximum download rate of 84.4Mbps and upload rate of 21.7Mbps.

These aren?t even close to being ready for the real world. The HW that can handle that isn?t even available for purchase. By that same token LTE is barely off the ground and the phones we saw at CES that will be getting LTE are not small and will not be power efficient. Just look at Sprint?s HTC EVO 4G. It?s the nature of this technology.

I don?t expect the iPhone to support LTE until at least 2012 at the earliest.

Now none of that is to belittle Verizon?s benefits. CDMA and CDMA2000 do have plenty of benefits. For instance, GSM can?t do a soft handoff while CDMA can. CDMA has a good voice algorithm and GSM does not. Note, by GSM I mean ?2G', and not ?3G?.

They also have the benefit of having towers and radio frequencies that make it better for many users. This issue will drop significantly as the nation solidifies on 700MHz and LTE.

The other side of that is how they used to do their rates, their control over their devices, their customer service, their lack of simultaneous voice and data, et al. These could all be a thing of the past, but we?ll have to wait until Tuesday to see? assuming the rumours are correct.

PS: I?m perfectly okay with Verizon calling LTE ?4G?, just as I was perfectly okay with them calling CDMA2000 1x ?3G? even though it was often slower data speeds than AT&T?s EDGE ?2G?. There is nothing wrong with companies making their own generational designations but it?s good to be aware of what exactly is being designated with these marketing terms.
  • Reply 49 of 70
    IF THEY DONT, will Appleinder dump the fool named DED? T

his guys is trashing your name with his fanboy crap. I can pick out his trash just by reading the title of the blog post.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    Quote:

Not wishing to sound like I am repeating myself but the losses from AT&T could be significant if all the FiOS users are offered a special bundle deal. I am not convinced I will change but I will take a look.

FiOS accounts for about 1% of Verizon's customer base.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

Sorry, but having worked at AT&T Wireless, seen the back end of Voicestream/T-Mobile and worked with enough colleagues who worked on Verizon's back end, you're delusional.

One of the worst aspects of Verizon's service is their Customer Service and criminal billing charges they have repeatedly admitted to in civil courts.

I've had to deal with 5 fraudulent charges on my account over the past 5 years that have tried to screw me out of a few hundred dollars and the best part was their spurious data plan charges on a phone that doesn't have a data plan.

I've been hording a 2002 Audiovox with them.

I look forward to shutting it off next month and moving to AT&T. Having rollover minutes on an account I haven't used it's base minutes once in 7+ years will garner me with a lot of minutes to use where it counts--for consulting.

No, Verizon is not already 4G LTE.

http://mashable.com/2010/12/01/verizon-lte-dec-5/

Quote:

Verizon Wireless confirmed this morning that its 4G network would launch on Sunday, December 5. Long Term Evolution (LTE) service will be available in 38 cities and 60 airports immediately upon its launch.

The network will support 5 ? 12 Mbps download speeds and uploads of 2 ? 5 Mbps. These speeds are about the same as many home broadband connections in the U.S., which makes it extremely fast by mobile standards. It?s not quite the speed of lighting from the commercial, but it is about 10 times faster than Verizon?s existing 3G network.

Interestingly, Verizon isn?t launching its 4G service with any mobile handsets. The first device to support Verizon?s LTE network will be the LG VL600 USB modem, with the Pantech UML290 following soon. Both devices will sell for $100 after a $50 rebate and a two-year contract.

Verizon subscribers will be able to select from two 4G LTE mobile broadband plans: $50 per month for 5 GB of data or $80 for 10 GB.

While there is no cap on how much bandwidth one can consume, we are concerned that there is no unlimited plan available. Overages will cost $10 per GB in both of Verizon?s LTE plans. Despite its impressive speeds, the cost of these packages means that an avid Internet user would be unable to switch to LTE as a primary source of broadband. This also means that we?re not yet likely to see a cord-cutting revolution like the one that occurred when people switched from landlines to cellphones.

Verizon?s initial LTE offering is both ambitious and aggressive. Its launch in 38 cities will immediately make it the largest provider of 4G wireless in the U.S. The carrier has stated that it will gradually expand its 4G footprint and hopes to have completed expansion by the end of 2013.

Color me unimpressed. Those aren't 4G LTE bandwidth markers.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    It's so weird, all the talk about bad ATT service. I have never had a problem. In the years that I've owned an iPhone (I have a 3GS now, but got a 1st gen originally), I've had a total of one dropped call.

Also, with ATT family pack, and U-Verse, and ATT Internet, it would take a lot for me to consider changing over.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I sure hope this CDMA phone is available in Canada too. Over 95% of this country has no cell service at all unless your phone is CDMA. The major carriers never bothered to finish their GSM rollout, and their maps still show 3G service in places that have none.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm sorry but I've never experienced a problem with ATT's service here in NYC. The only place my phone doesn't work is at work and on the subway and in both places my MiFi card doesn't work either. Also, when I go to Texas Verizon's service stink there. I used to live in an apartment where the only phones that worked were ATT phones. So I think the negative stuff about ATT is mostly hype.

AT&T's problems are most certainly NOT hype, at least in my part of the country. Luckily, the city we live in here in Indiana has 3G, and decent speeds to, but drive 20 minutes in any direction and I'm lucky to have 1-2 bars of EDGE. The Midwest is mostly EDGE with AT&T, while Verizon has 3G almost everywhere, even between towns and in the smaller towns. I know that's mostly because they bought Alltel, but I don't care how they did it, just that they have unquestionably better service where I live, and I think that's the most important thing for anybody.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I sure hope this CDMA phone is available in Canada too. Over 95% of this country has no cell service at all unless your phone is CDMA. The major carriers never bothered to finish their GSM rollout, and their maps still show 3G service in places that have none.

Who would carry it?
  • Reply 56 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

FiOS accounts for about 1% of Verizon's customer base.

Wow, didn't know that. I assumed it was far higher. In which case it won't make much difference but as one of those with FiOS and iPhones I am still interested to see if there is some special deal in the pipe line. I know Verizon already have a cool iPad app for controlling FiOS so hopefully some integration may occur on the accounting side to my advantage. However, as said previously I have not had any problems with AT&T and I certainly want the same or better service if I were to switch. We are over two years with AT&T on all iPhones so free to decide. Thanks for the info though.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

IF THEY DONT, will Appleinder dump the fool named DED? T

his guys is trashing your name with his fanboy crap. I can pick out his trash just by reading the title of the blog post.

Hey. I realize that this seems to be a heated topic for some, and while I have no knowledge of the history behind this (apparently he's a writer from some other site who has come here?), knowledge thereof is meaningless as it isn't the topic of the thread.

I'm not saying that your position in this argument is wrong, I'm saying that it's pointless and shouldn't have been brought up here.

I also proffer a solution: if you don't like his material, do not read it, do not comment on it, and do not spam the forum with complaints about it out of context.

Thanks.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

AT&T's problems are most certainly NOT hype, at least in my part of the country. Luckily, the city we live in here in Indiana has 3G, and decent speeds to, but drive 20 minutes in any direction and I'm lucky to have 1-2 bars of EDGE. The Midwest is mostly EDGE with AT&T, while Verizon has 3G almost everywhere, even between towns and in the smaller towns. I know that's mostly because they bought Alltel, but I don't care how they did it, just that they have unquestionably better service where I live, and I think that's the most important thing for anybody.

They are improving things slowly. Here in Florida we had Keys (islands) with no service and where we summer in NH whole areas especially in mountain areas where there was zero signal of any kind yet another cell phone on another carrier had a strong one. Now, a few years later, we can use AT&T in most of those places although northern NH is still flakey.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Who would carry it?

All of the major carriers other than Rogers all have the majority of their coverage areas as CDMA only.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Where do you live? That stat is entirely made up. 95% with no service unless your phone is CDMA? BS.

Maybe if you're in Manitoba or Saskatchewan, it bites. Elsewhere though, 3G service is well entrenched and pretty decent. I daresay that most of Canada's population probably has better service than what our southern neighbours get....though we pay through we routinely resort to sacrificing limbs and infants to pay our mobile bills.