AT&T says Verizon iPhone users will experience 'life in the slow lane'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Responding to rumors of an imminent Verizon iPhone launch, AT&T has countered by touting the speed of its network, which a recent study found to be 20 percent to 60 percent faster than competitors.

This may or may not be the case, I bet a bunch of people in San Fran and NYC would question it, but I note that my problem with AT&T connectivity has never been about speed -- it's that in a whole lot of places I have been there was no connectivity at all, not even basic voice.

Personally I think VZ has done themselves a big disservice by not pointing THAT out, rather than relatively mediocre 3G coverage, in their commercials. I mean, it's annoying not to have fast internet, but when you can't use the phone at all....

I don't know how long it will take to decide I need a new phone, I don't see any real need to run out and get an iPhone5 or whatever when the 3GS still works great, but when I do the whole family moves back to Verizon and AT&T can bite me.

(Mind you, I think VZ is evil too, but at least they're evil with good coverage.)

jim frost

[email protected]
  • Reply 42 of 122
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I get 2mbps down, 600kbps up, BUT, I've heard if you move a lot of data at once, verizon starts to throttle your bandwidth.
  • Reply 43 of 122
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

No, I think it was pretty much confirmed when they left Gizmodo off the invite list.

i know i know, many other posts

BUT TOOOO FUNNY, I LAUGHED MY ARSE OFF

DON'T F WITH SJ
  • Reply 44 of 122
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I get 2mbps down, 600kbps up, BUT, I've heard if you move a lot of data at once, verizon starts to throttle your bandwidth.

i get the same but on low use days, most times 1200 down, sunday i did get 2k dn 800 up

and yes vz is faster, BUT hey att lets make a deal to keep me, if vz allows me to use iphone as a router, ba bye
  • Reply 45 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

The problem with ATT's statement is that ATT doesn't work in as many places. Some people would rather have slow than no speed at all.

AMEN!

I DAILY report dropped calls, no data, etc, etc... it works great if I am in the center of davenport... after that it's positional at best. Even with 3G speeds range from great to "I have bars..maybe the website is down".

Honestly I hope AT&T gets hurt bad by this (and Ive been with them for 10 years now).
  • Reply 46 of 122
    Well, even if it is true (and there is no evidence that it is remotely true) that Verizon's network is THEORETICALLY slower than AT&T's, we contend that life in the "slow" lanes of Verizon would be better than life in the "breakdown" lanes of AT&T.

At least with Verizon...the traffic is actually MOVING!!!
  • Reply 47 of 122
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

The data is not categorized. It could simply be that Android users have to suffer through more advertising data being downloaded to their devices, as iPhone users are much more likely to pay for non ad-supported applications.

Furthermore, because the iPhone is a more app-centric platform, iPhone users are more likely to use a native app rather than visit a website. This would mean, iPhones are just downloading raw data and not entire websites.

Lastly, Android users have to download apps directly thru the device. iPhone users can download larger apps on the computer and then upload them to the device through iTunes/USB.

And you have to remember, there are still more AT&T iPhone users than there are Verizon Android users. I think the latest numbers showed almost twice as many. People seem to forget that Android is on all carriers not just Verizon.

No need to get into an iPhone vs. Android pissing match. It's not about what kind of data is being transferred. All he was saying is that there are plenty of high-bandwidth users (which happen to run Android) already on Verizon, and they haven't driven the network to the brink yet, so an influx of iPhone users is unlikely to.
  • Reply 48 of 122
    Quote:

The data is not categorized. It could simply be that Android users have to suffer through more advertising data being downloaded to their devices, as iPhone users are much more likely to pay for non ad-supported applications.

Possible.

Quote:

Furthermore, because the iPhone is a more app-centric platform, iPhone users are more likely to use a native app rather than visit a website. This would mean, iPhones are just downloading raw data and not entire websites.

I'll have to disagree with you here. Android phones are no less "app-centric" than the iPhones. Most of the information services type apps are available on both platforms. I haven't seen a single one of my apps take me to a website and the only time I do is for Google searches or to view information on a website that either doesn't have an app or the app doesn't give the information I'm looking for.

Quote:

Lastly, Android users have to download apps directly thru the device. iPhone users can download larger apps on the computer and then upload them to the device through iTunes/USB.

Not necessarily. All Android phones have the ability for you to download the .apk from a separate website and then drag-and-drop it to the phone. Only AT&T disables this feature from what I can tell.
  • Reply 49 of 122
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

And you have to remember, there are still more AT&T iPhone users than there are Verizon Android users. I think the latest numbers showed almost twice as many. People seem to forget that Android is on all carriers not just Verizon.

Is that collectively?
  • Reply 50 of 122
    Quote:

Very good points. In addition andruids have active sync etc.

Was in a Verizon story over xmas, saleman indicated that he used 2Gig of data as a normal course of events, tried to imply to us that this is normal. I called BS( I only use 100 Mb per month), but perhaps I was wrong, andruids are data hogs, unless care is taken to turn off the syncs etc??? Probably no different with iphone and have to make sure maps is closed etc?

Im not an andruid user, if someone could explain its normal(if there is such a thing) data useage relative to iphone, would like to learn. How hard is it to turn of auto sync of apps etc?
  • Reply 51 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Responding to rumors of an imminent Verizon iPhone launch, AT&T has countered by touting the speed of its network, which a recent study found to be 20 percent to 60 percent faster than competitors.

I really do. But every time I do a speed test in Chicago I get low speeds. A couple of minutes ago I got 0.29 mbps down and that is one of the higher numbers I have registered. Sometimes the speed registers at .01 or less despite plenty of bars and 3g indication. AT&T needs to beef it up where the people are.
  • Reply 52 of 122
    AT&T faster? I live in an area they label as best 3G coverage. I can't even get 3G signal. This is in Aurora, Colorado - not New York or San Fran.

EDGE is faster than 3G out here - when the 3G works. Of course every other carrier says they have coverage and nobody can get any - verizon, tmobile, sprint. Everyone has minimal signal here even with "best" on all the maps.
  • Reply 53 of 122
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

What parts? I work in the galleria area, travel to the med center, magnolia, westchase, pearland, pasadena, channelview, downtown and other areas and it's rock solid for me. That's not to say that your issues aren't real, I am just curious where you are located.

I work in the Galleria area. It's excellent there. I live in Katy and it's mediocre at best. Area off of I-10 and Barker Cypress is completely dead. I am like at 2 bars at my house though not a huge deal as I have wireless (U-Verse) in the house.

I go up to Livingston every so often and it's weak edge out there if anything. My brother in law had a Verizon my-fi out there for his iPad and it's pretty good.
  • Reply 54 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

You might want to ask T-Mobile instead. Clearly Apple is willing to allow multiple carriers in the same country to carry the phone, but knowing Apple, the carrier has to abide by their rules. If all of the current carriers (over 100?) can follow Apple's rules, then the ball is likely in T-Mobile's court

Or Apple signed an exclusive agreement to Att for x years. Forgot already???
  • Reply 55 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Or Apple signed an exclusive agreement to Att for x years. Forgot already???

If they're releasing a Verizon iPhone, the exclusive is obviously done. If T-Mobile were willing to play by Apple's rules, they could have their own press conference about the same time as Verizon.
  • Reply 56 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

If they're releasing a Verizon iPhone, the exclusive is obviously done. If T-Mobile were willing to play by Apple's rules, they could have their own press conference about the same time as Verizon.

It would also need a 5 band 3G radio, and only one phone, the Nokia N8 has it. Maybe if they use it for the iphone next version, or everyone uses the same LTE freq, we can all be happy.

Prob not.
  • Reply 57 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I work in the Galleria area. It's excellent there. I live in Katy and it's mediocre at best. Area off of I-10 and Barker Cypress is completely dead. I am like at 2 bars at my house though not a huge deal as I have wireless (U-Verse) in the house.

I go up to Livingston every so often and it's weak edge out there if anything. My brother in law had a Verizon my-fi out there for his iPad and it's pretty good.

Ah, I am not familiar with Livingston. I get one bar at my apt, but I still get about 2 mbps on the down side and almost 1 on the up, when I turn off Wi-fi for testing. Eldridge and Briarforest. Of course I am on wi-fi at home normally. Oh well. It is was it is.
  • Reply 58 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It would also need a 5 band 3G radio, and only one phone, the Nokia N8 has it. Maybe if they use it for the iphone next version, or everyone uses the same LTE freq, we can all be happy.

Prob not.

The iPhone 4 is pentaband. This was widely acknowledged as teh 2nd phone to get that designation.

The 5th spectrum is primarily used by Japan’s largest carrier NTT DoCoMo which has yet to be included as a carrier. They still only use SoftBank, perhaps Japan’s weakest carrier.
  • Reply 59 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPhone 4 is pentaband. This was widely acknowledged as teh 2nd phone to get that designation.

The 5th spectrum is primarily used by Japan?s largest carrier NTT DoCoMo which has yet to be included as a carrier. They still only use SoftBank, perhaps Japan?s weakest carrier.

Where do you see it as pentaband?
  • Reply 60 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Where do you see it as pentaband?

Um, the FCC. Do a search for iPhone 4 pentaband.