Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199

Comments

• Reply 221 of 254
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Another point, why have mobile hotspot to hook up your laptop to the wifi connect only to have it go dead while you talk, and oh BTW it kills those 5 other connected devices at the same time as well.

You may be right that VZ customer may not care, since most power users and people who have used these kinds of features tend to be on other networks. Most VZ customers I encounter are the "ordinary joe" who mostly talk on their phones, and maybe texts but rarely do a phone call and have the phone hooked to a internet device like a smart phone or computer.

You have more or less answered your own question. Since the bulk of Verizon iPhone customers are likely existing Verizon customers they will: a) be new to smartphones so have no other experience to base an impression on; or b) are current Verizon smartphone users who are already familiar with this limitation on Verizon's network. They won't be blaming Apple or the iPhone.
  • Reply 222 of 254
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Steve did not announce every time they added a new carrier in any of the other countries - why would he do so now? Because he loves the US so much? VZ is just another, albeit large carrier - which is why Tim Cook was there to help announce the partnership, not Steve Jobs. This was about Verizon, not Apple. Steve handles the Apple-centric stuff, he lets the rest of the guys handle the other stuff.

I was honestly surprised to see Cook there. I had predicted in other threads that we would get a pre-recorded message or a live video feed welcoming Verizon's customers.
  • Reply 223 of 254
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

But I seem to be (anecdotally) surrounded by people who do the same thing - consistently, frequently and with many others. So do I think this is a profound game-changer resulting in masses moving from VZ to ATT? Of course not. But the fact remains that like power windows on a car, having it and using it are nice features that would be missed if not available on VZ or any other carrier, by anyone who was used to being able to do that.

It's good to have it, but I wonder how many people use it. I've personally only rarely seen anyone use an iPhone with any kind of headset, earbuds, headphones, or use it in speakerphone, and that's what's necessary to do simultaneous data and voice.

It looks like it's a temporary problem though, where a solution (hopefully finished phones) will supposedly be available the first half of this year:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...333071694.html

That would be a good reason to hold off for a little while.
  • Reply 224 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

So what? Your reasoning is ludicrous. It implies that everyone who buys an iphone must always update when a newer version is released, lest they be wasting their time. Do you always buy the very latest and greatest of everything? Geez, you must trade cars every year or two, replace your TV every year or so, and you must go through computers at a rate of two or three each year. You must spend a lot of time trying to always make certain that you have the latest and greatest of everything. Some people would say that is a waste of time. Some people would also say that it is a waste of my time responding to the idiotic notions that people on this forum are perpetually expounding. You have no idea in what ways the next iPhone will improve on the iPhone 4, and you cannot say anything about the extent to which Verizon subscribers who have been waiting a long while to update their phones will care about those newer features, if in fact there are any that amount to much at all.

+1,000!

I Can't Agree With YOU MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 225 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? The iPhone 2G came out something like four months before the 3G in the first international markets. People still bought it.

And according to you, they were stupid for making that purchase.
  • Reply 226 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It is a bit confusing though, or potentially so.

All the stupids will buy the new Verizon iPhone without thinking of the relatively imminent release of iPhone 5. Perhaps Verizon has already worked out a deal with Apple where they will offer a great deal on an upgrade when that happens.

I'm also a bit surprised they didn't name it something else, like "iPhone 4v" or something. It seems odd to have two products with the same name that aren't actually the same thing and don't even operate if you buy the wrong one for your network.

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If You Call Those Who Buy Verizon i-Phone NOW " STUPID ", How Do You Call People Who Bought i-Pad for Their Dear ONES for ChristMas Present, Despite Being Rumored that i-Pad2 is Due in Course Within 2 Months?

Are They Stupid!?

I Don't Think SO!

People Are Free to Choose to Decide When to Spend THEIR MONEY at BEST TIME They Think IT To Be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 227 of 254
    Whew, I'm glad they finally did it. It would have been embarrassing if today's media event was yet another false Verizon iPhone alarm, and all Verizon was announcing was another iClone running Android.
  • Reply 228 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

To everyone who said it wouldn't happen...

To everyone who said it couldn't happen

To everyone who said it shouldn't happen...

I have one word for you...

HA!

About damn time Apple.

I'd like to also add the word "FACE"!
  • Reply 229 of 254
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    One reason not to switch to Verizon just yet: I can use my GSM iPhone in Europe.
  • Reply 230 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HIMOKO View Post

If you call those who buy Verizon iPhone NOW "STUPID", how do you call people who bought iPad for their dear ones for Christmas present, despite being rumored that iPad 2 is due in course within 2 months?

Are they stupid?

Ignorance is bliss.

Also, what fricking country do you come from that every word in sentences is capitalized? I won't even get started on your use of the wrong characters for the unnecessary punctuation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ►►◄◄ View Post

I'm already on Verizon, have been for 9 years. No LTE on the iPhone is a deal breaker...they had years to get this right and they blew it. What a let down.....

Oh well, looks like I'll be getting a Thunderbolt after all which is probably for the best.

I'm sorry, show me who has an LTE network available. No LTE networks exist. No CDMA-LTE or GSM-CDMA-LTE chips exist that would have given the iPhone even remotely acceptable battery life yet. There's zero point in having LTE yet. Wait two years for your Android contract to run out and get iPhone 6.
  • Reply 231 of 254
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I'm already on Verizon, have been for 9 years. No LTE on the iPhone is a deal breaker...they had years to get this right and they blew it. What a let down.....

Oh well, looks like I'll be getting a Thunderbolt after all which is probably for the best.

Wow, really? This may be a stop-gap model, who knows what June may bring? It sounds like VZW wanted one now, rather than six months from now. If the size of the chips is an issue (being early in the standards cycle with first gen LTE chips and all), then I can see why Thunderbolt can fit it, because it probably has more board surface area to fit an LTE chipset.
  • Reply 232 of 254
    Quote:

Ignorance is bliss.

...not getting all worked up about "the next great thing" is not the same as ignorance. Perhaps "contentment" would fit in that case.
  • Reply 233 of 254
    Quote:

And you have LTE now - right? Any idea how long it will take carriers to deploy LTE in your area? NO?? Awwww. Why encumber the iPhone with crap chipsets for a technology not even fully deployed yet?? Especially with a potential refresh just months away? Not that I think they will include LTE in the next iteration then either necessarily. They might if they have enough assurance about the deployment schedules for the carriers bringing LTE online within the year. But remember LTE is actually a GSM technology that Verizon has to backstrap onto their CDMA network - ATT at least is GSM already and can move within the technology.

Nothing blown here - but feel free to feel let down and enjoy your Thunderbolt, which is, for you probably for the best as you probably had no intention of buying an iPhone in the first place.
  • Reply 234 of 254
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

AT&T versus Verizon 3G speeds (AT&T on the left, Verizon on the right)

Now compare AT&T Edge speeds against Verizon 3G speeds, for all the times when I can't get a 3G data connection on AT&T.
  • Reply 235 of 254
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

AT&T versus Verizon 3G speeds (AT&T on the left, Verizon on the right)

From AnandTech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfaV...embedded#at=24

As even Anand points out on his site the speeds are not typical of Verizon. They are likely from a Femtocell which can offer low latency speeds. We won?t have any real world results until these start shipping and we can see viable side by side comparisons.

My prediction is Verizon is will fairly consistent across the country, with AT&T having issues in some places and having break away speeds in other places.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Now compare AT&T Edge speeds against Verizon 3G speeds, for all the times when I can't get a 3G data connection on AT&T.

Does Verizon still have EV-DO 1z in use? If so, AT&T?s ?2G? EDGE would likely be faster than Verizon?s ?3G?.
  • Reply 236 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

...not getting all worked up about "the next great thing" is not the same as ignorance. Perhaps "contentment" would fit in that case.

Being content with a current offering is impossible without knowledge of other offerings. You can't say that someone is content with A if they have no knowledge of B. With the knowledge of B, A may no longer be a point of contentment.
  • Reply 237 of 254
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerseymac

To everyone who said it wouldn't happen...

To everyone who said it couldn't happen

To everyone who said it shouldn't happen...

I have one word for you...

HA!

About damn time Apple.

What are you? 5 years old?

What are you? One of those know-it-all naysayers who can't admit that they were wrong? If you don't like people gloating about it, then don't act like a know-it-all naysayer in the first place.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 238 of 254
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does Verizon still have EV-DO 1z in use? If so, AT&T?s ?2G? EDGE would likely be faster than Verizon?s ?3G?.

Dunno. When I get the little blue "E", 'faster' isn't exactly the word that comes to mind...
  • Reply 239 of 254
    Quote:

Being content with a current offering is impossible without knowledge of other offerings...

Do you actually believe that ? Are you really that uneducated? ... or is it just stupidity?

If that were the case, then you could buy the iPhone 5 the day it goes on sale and you wouldn't be content with it, because you wouldn't know of the next iteration.

A person can be perfectly content with an item while having no knowledge of the next generation. (...or of other currently available options.)

You'd do well to invest $14.95 in a dictionary.
  • Reply 240 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

If that were the case, then you could buy the iPhone 5 the day it goes on sale and you wouldn't be content with it, because you wouldn't know of the next iteration.

A person can be perfectly content with an item while having no knowledge of the next generation. (...or of other currently available options.)

Think what you will.