Verizon iPhone offers Wi-Fi tethering but no simultaneous data and voice

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

It may be some HUGE HUGE dealbreaker for some people. I have never found myself in the position of needing to use data while on a call, and obviously ALL current VZ customers will not know what they're supposedly missing SO badly because they have never had it.

Well, then, it's not going to be as HUGE HUGE as you claim now, is it?

Quote:

A far bigger disappointment to me is that they didn't bother to make it a "world phone." Bad for re-sale value, and obviously sucks for international travelers.

Wow, you can't please anybody nowadays.
  • Reply 22 of 131
    While the Verizon hotspot will give it an advantage over AT&T, and allow tethering with devices like the Wi-Fi-only iPad, the company's CDMA network also has one major shortcoming that AT&T was quick to note: It is not capable of concurrent data and voice connections.

So no calls while tethering either? Too bad. AT&T is not too bad in Los Angeles. It's when I travel to the central coast that they really bite.
  • Reply 23 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jman_in_NYC View Post

It's a shame it's not CDMA/GSM so you can use it overseas when you travel.

Give it time. That could be in the iPhone 5 etc

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Considering Jobs terse response of "no" when the iPad came out about tethering to the iPhone via BlueTooth.

That was only about one form of tethering. He never said anything about the whole mobilespot issue. ATT is blocking that. And now might unblock it to compete
  • Reply 24 of 131

HAHAHAHA! so Verizon is basically getting a wood be version of the iPhone, idk abut you but simultaneous voice and data usage us a MUST. Sure the tethering is a nice feature but if you get bumped every time you receive a call, that's definitely not good at all. At least one good things can be had of all this, goodbye Android
  • Reply 25 of 131
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

Wait til WWDC 2011 and you'll see a Iphone 4G LTE (with both Verizon, AT&T (possibly Sprint) which can do both.

I'm guessing more like 2012.
  • Reply 26 of 131
    With so many experts here about what Apple *should* and how they *should* make their phones, I'm stunned how no-one is working at Cupertino.
  • Reply 27 of 131
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

HAHAHAHA! so Verizon is basically getting a wood be version of the iPhone, idk abut you but simultaneous voice and data usage us a MUST. Sure the tethering is a nice feature but if you get bumped every time you receive a call, that's definitely not good at all. At least one good things can be had of all this, goodbye Android

Just curious...how many phone calls do you get a day? I don't know about you, but most people I know text instead of making voice calls these days, don't they? So what I'd like to know is if I can send/receive texts while on the data connection?

That said, when I do want to make a voice call I want a reliable connection. So there's trade-offs either way.
  • Reply 28 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Any word on Visual Voicemail being included?

edit:

What’s good: Verizon customers will get access to Visual Voicemail.

What’s bad: Existing Verizon customers will lose their old voicemail boxes, including all messages and greetings, so they will need to listen to everything they want to hear before making the transition. “All existing messages will be erased and can not be recovered” once an iPhone 4 is activated, Verizon notes.

How about weight, battery mAh, et al. specs?

edit: All looks to be the same.
  • Reply 29 of 131
    Quote:

It may be some HUGE HUGE dealbreaker for some people. I have never found myself in the position of needing to use data while on a call, and obviously ALL current VZ customers will not know what they're supposedly missing SO badly because they have never had it. AT&T didn't even bother to advertise this "incredibly important" feature until a year ago when VZ launched their "there's a map for that" ad campaign. Sure, it's nice to have...and like I said maybe for some people this is something they need to have all of the time, but like Cook said...it's a trade-off. For the vast majority of people out there, not even close to being a dealbreaker.

A far bigger disappointment to me is that they didn't bother to make it a "world phone." Bad for re-sale value, and obviously sucks for international travelers.

Too funny. I've been using this feature from almost day one on the networks here in Europe, the Mid East, and SWA. Only the US makes something so basic into a magical feature.
  • Reply 30 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

With so many experts here about what Apple *should* and how they *should* make their phones, I'm stunned how no-one is working at Cupertino.

You never given an opinion about someone or something, lets not get self-righteous in our comments.
  • Reply 30 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

So basically its a sub standard product compared to AT&T...... Imagine: you get a phone call and everyone connected to the hotspot gets bumped off the internet........

More importantly, though, its a better product than Verizon's alternatives...
  • Reply 32 of 131
    Quote:

AAPL down the whole day......... I guess traders were expecting something better....

Just intra-week profit taking, not to worry! Be Happy!
  • Reply 33 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any word on Visual Voicemail being included?

How about weight, battery mAh, et al. specs?

A bit of info for you mate:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/bac...-the-bad-news/
  • Reply 34 of 131
    After the announcement, I called ATT and asked for incentives to keep me on their network. I told them about the Verizon announcement, and offered to renew my contract if they would upgrade me to the iPhone 4 at no cost, and knock $15 off my month rate. They accepted the deal. ATT know the threat Verizon poses, and are eager to stop the bloodletting. I would encourage everyone who is willing to stick around to haggle.
  • Reply 35 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Just curious...how many phone calls do you get a day? I don't know about you, but most people I know text instead of making voice calls these days, don't they? So what I'd like to know is if I can send/receive texts while on the data connection?

That said, when I do want to make a voice call I want a reliable connection. So there's trade-offs either way.

I will admit that i don't make many phone calls, but i have had several instances where I'm talking to a business or costumer service agent while on the go where I've had to give them information that i had go pull from the web via my phone. It's a nice feature that i do use. Yes there is a trade off and like i said the tethering is nice because i found that frustrating about AT&T but there is free wifi in about 90% i go to. So it's not an issue.
  • Reply 36 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

A hot mess. I was almost going to do the verizon phone until I saw that there is no simultaneous voice/data. What if I'm on the internet? How do I tell the phone not to work so I can stay on the internet?

HUGE DEAL BREAKER! I'm happy with AT&T. They have been very good to me. Plus, they give me a discount at work for having an AT&T phone.

Actually the bigger problem may be how do you tell the phone to work if you are on the Internet. I don't know how Verizon's network works, but if you are on Edge on AT&T, phone calls don't come through. This was a huge problem for me before I upgraded to the 3GS.
  • Reply 37 of 131
    Quote:

Another reason why the stock is down today

Well, AAPL was up about 6 points yesterday and only down about half a point right now, so on the "buy on rumor, sell on news" continuum, they're still well ahead of the game.

Anyway, I have no interest in a VZW iPhone whatsoever, especially one based on CDMA. I was one who thought Apple would never make a CDMA iPhone, but market reality in the US intervened and I'm glad that Apple was pragmatic enough to compromise on this issue. Apple couldn't afford to be off VZW any longer due to the growth of Android, and VZW couldn't resist the iPhone any longer because it was causing them to lose subscribers to ATTWS.

It's nice to finally have a choice in the US. And let's not forget that a CDMA iPhone will open up the device to numerous other CDMA-only carriers in Asia, unless there are technical differences I'm just not aware of.
  • Reply 38 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Wifi hotspot from your iPhone?!?!?

Well, now that should work with my Wi-Fi only iPad!

No need to buy the 3G iPad.

Interesting. Considering Jobs terse response of "no" when the iPad came out about tethering to the iPhone via BlueTooth.

I've had Wifi Hotsport for my iPad Wifi from day one with AT&T. I'm a Qwest ADSL customer and it's part of their partnership with AT&T.
  • Reply 39 of 131
    dvhdvh Posts: 9member
    Read: http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html

"Will any Verizon Wireless apps be available on iPhone?

iPhone will have the 3G Mobile Hotspot app pre-installed, and it will also have other popular apps available in the market such as VZ Navigator, and V CAST Media Manager.

Quite reasonable...
  • Reply 40 of 131
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That was only about one form of tethering. He never said anything about the whole mobilespot issue. ATT is blocking that. And now might unblock it to compete

AT&T does not "block" it if you pay for it.....