Verizon iPhone offers Wi-Fi tethering but no simultaneous data and voice

Comments

• Reply 101 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

AT&T does not "block" it if you pay for it.....

Currently, it is not possible to tether between a non-hacked AT&T iPhone and a non-hacked iPad to share the iPhone's Internet connection with the iPad. This is true no matter what options you choose to subscribe to with AT&T.

To your credit, though, it's impossible to tell right now who's the one that's actually behind the decision to "block" it, Apple or AT&T...

In theory, it would be quite easy to do so -- either by:

1) Adding a WiFi router app/configuration option to the AT&T iPhone, such as was demonstrated today in the Verizon iPhone -- to which the iPad could then natively connect as a client, or

2) Adding an incoming Internet connection option to the iPad's Bluetooth stack -- making it behave the same way as a PC or Mac laptop already behaves when one of them tethers to an AT&T iPhone over Bluetooth.
  • Reply 102 of 131
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You don't have a smart phone? To be honest prior to iPhone I only used land lines, e-mail and 'dumb' phones. I could never figure out pre iPhone smart phones

I have a Net10 prepaid phone with a slide out QWERTY keyboard (good for texting). Cost me $80 at Best Buy. $.10 a minute voice, $.03 per text. On average, I put about $25/mo on it.

I also have an iPod Touch (3rd Gen 32GB).

The combination has worked nicely for me, particularly with regards to the impact on my pocketbook. But there have been times where I'm out and about with no access to WiFi and I wished I had internet access for some reason or another.
  • Reply 103 of 131
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Sure not being able to be online and talk is bad for many.

But you have to realize how things will get a whole lot better

for us and a whole lot worse for the Carriers.

With as many iPhones coming available on Verizon, lots more

being sold on ATT. Plus all the new iPads coming around soon

with FaceTime available. And all the new ipod Touch also doing

FaceTime. Pretty soon even Android users will also have the

FaceTime feature. More & more people we know will use that

instead of cell minutes. I stated long time ago, when FaceTime

was first announced that Apple would eventually do away with

talk package that is offered at high prices.

That will make most calls thru Voip. Let Verizon add that

HotSpot feature, soon ATT will do the same. One of the real

great features that took Apple to long to include.
  • Reply 104 of 131
    I'm surprised at how shocked some people here seem that the Verizon iPhone can't do voice/data at the same time. EVDO Rev. A has never been able to, so why would it magically be able to with the release of the iPhone?

That would mean that Verizon secretly updated to EVDO Rev. B. Don't get me wrong, that would have been a nice surprise if they announced that, but with them sinking money into LTE, that's not likely to happen.
  • Reply 105 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

AAPL down the whole day......... I guess traders were expecting something better....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by martimus3060 View Post

Just intra-week profit taking, not to worry! Be Happy!

I bought some more AAPL today at $339.50 -- so that is up little.

The way I figure is we'll have a lot of Apple in the news for the next several weeks

-- earnings call with iPhone & iPad numbers

-- Apple/News Corps. magazine announcement

-- VZ iP4 pre-orders

-- VZ iP4 availability - lines at stores

-- iPad gen 2 (with standalone setup ala MBA) announce

-- iOS 5.0

-- iLife, PhotoBooth for Pad

-- MobileMe server farm enhancements

-- iPad gen 2 pre-orders

-- iPad gen 2 availability - lines at stores

-- Mac app store success figures

-- Apple Pro Apps

-- Apple Pro Apps & SMB server solution

-- AppleTV advanced remote, apps and SDK

-- Apple Media Machine (AKA Hone Server)

That should take us through March.

Then the whole cycle begins again with the 2Q 2011 earnings call, iP5, WWDC, Lion...
  • Reply 106 of 131
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

Sure not being able to be online and talk is bad for many.

But you have to realize how things will get a whole lot better

for us and a whole lot worse for the Carriers.

With as many iPhones coming available on Verizon, lots more

being sold on ATT. Plus all the new iPads coming around soon

with FaceTime available. And all the new ipod Touch also doing

FaceTime. Pretty soon even Android users will also have the

FaceTime feature. More & more people we know will use that

instead of cell minutes. I stated long time ago, when FaceTime

was first announced that Apple would eventually do away with

talk package that is offered at high prices.

That will make most calls thru Voip. Let Verizon add that

HotSpot feature, soon ATT will do the same. One of the real

great features that took Apple to long to include.

Voip, HotSpot, Wi-i, etc, are not free.
  • Reply 107 of 131
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good question. As I said I just read that Q&A and saw your post ... not my area, sorry.

I've just read into this a little more. Apparently voice is available in a certain amount of countries and data another amount. The phone won't work in most of Europe because there are no CDMA networks. The only places it will work are the small amount of countries with CDMA networks which are primarily Asian/Caribbean islands/South american
  • Reply 108 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

Well, AAPL was up about 6 points yesterday and only down about half a point right now, so on the "buy on rumor, sell on news" continuum, they're still well ahead of the game.

Anyway, I have no interest in a VZW iPhone whatsoever, especially one based on CDMA. I was one who thought Apple would never make a CDMA iPhone, but market reality in the US intervened and I'm glad that Apple was pragmatic enough to compromise on this issue. Apple couldn't afford to be off VZW any longer due to the growth of Android, and VZW couldn't resist the iPhone any longer because it was causing them to lose subscribers to ATTWS.

It's nice to finally have a choice in the US. And let's not forget that a CDMA iPhone will open up the device to numerous other CDMA-only carriers in Asia, unless there are technical differences I'm just not aware of.

Right! China is the real deal here. Let´s hope this means some Asian carrier announcements soon!
  • Reply 109 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dick applebaum View Post

i bought some more aapl today at $339.50 -- so that is up little.

The way i figure is we'll have a lot of apple in the news for the next several weeks

-- earnings call with iphone & ipad numbers

-- apple/news corps. Magazine announcement

-- vz ip4 pre-orders

-- vz ip4 availability - lines at stores

-- ipad gen 2 (with standalone setup ala mba) announce

-- ios 5.0

-- ilife, photobooth 1pad

-- mobileme server farm enhancements

-- ipad gen 2 pre-orders

-- ipad gen 2 availability - lines at stores

-- mac app store success figures

-- apple pro apps

-- apple pro apps & smb server solution

-- appletv advanced remote, apps and sdk

-- apple media machine (aka hone server)

that should take us through march.

Then the whole cycle begins again with the 2q 2011 earnings call, ip5, wwdc, lion...

making a note of your list of possible aapl news. Even if half of them turn out right, then its still good news.
  • Reply 110 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips

The hot spot is nice, although be nicer if iPad was able to use it. I wonder if iPad 2 will be able to?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPad can use. It’ll just present a WiFi network to the iPad. This is a nice feature, but I wonder what the power drain will be.

So, the iPad at its worst (WiFi only) will require tethering to a phone when only cell is available...

That's the way the RIM PlayBook at its best, works... Real Soon, Now!

Except, when WiFi is available the RIM PlayBook cannot access email, calendars, etc. -- it still needs to tether to a Blackberry.
  • Reply 111 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I'm surprised at how shocked some people here seem that the Verizon iPhone can't do voice/data at the same time. EVDO Rev. A has never been able to, so why would it magically be able to with the release of the iPhone?

That would mean that Verizon secretly updated to EVDO Rev. B. Don't get me wrong, that would have been a nice surprise if they announced that, but with them sinking money into LTE, that's not likely to happen.

There are other options. There is VoIP on EV-DO Rev. A (VoRA). Qualcomm has a technology called QChat that does that. The protocol suite uses RTP, SIP and others that inline with FaceTime. FaceTime could do it, too, just remove the video part of it.

Apple and Verizon would have to collaborate as it requires the handset and network to work together, but that doesn?t seem to be the biggest hurdle.

One issue could be call quality, specifically with QoS compared to CDMA. Another issue could be CDMA talk time v. VoRA talk time. For all we know they looked into it and decided it wasn?t worth it, or are still working on it for iOS 5.0. We just don?t know.
  • Reply 112 of 131
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I think the hope was there was either some new secret network (if limited access of yet) or a new secret dual chip (subsidized by Verizon) somehow small enough and mostly it was denial
  • Reply 113 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmamule View Post

Hi everyone,

I have a Droid Incredible w/Mobile Hotspot, and did a couple quick experiments: I had my iPod Touch using it and started browsing websites. While sites were loading I called my cell from another phone. The web page downloads paused while the call was active, but resumed immediately after the call finished OR went to voicemail. It did not have to re-start the page load from scratch.

I also sent/received a couple texts while browsing on the iPod and there was no noticeable interruption at all.

Overall I find the Mobile Hotspot very handy. I use it all the time with my iPad and iPod Touch and love it. I communicate via text rather than voice most of the time these days, so the simultaneous voice/data issue is not really significant for me.

What about uploading a file, say, to YouTube?

Does that resume or require restart?
  • Reply 114 of 131
    Oh my god, so many people are bitching. Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch. What the hell did you expect? Jesus Christ himself returning to earth, distributing the iPhone 5 to every man, woman and child on a magical worldwide 4G LTE network for free?

The CDMA iPhone 4 is not designed to pull people from ATT to Verizon, it's designed to offer the iPhone to Verizon customers, and everyone else more options. Current Verizon customers, such as myself, know that simultaneous voice and data has NEVER happened on our network, and we all seem to get along fine without it.

I don't know what people expect to do with the mobile hotspot feature, but here's a few things you'll never be doing (if you're at all sane):

gaming

extensive downloading

torrenting

running a network

daily constant usage

Mobile hotspot features are almost always used to connect a laptop to the internet for a few minutes, for whatever reason. If you expect anything even semi-permanent out of it, you are pants-on-head retarded, no exceptions. On AT&T, the iPhone doesn't even offer anything close to this for free, so I suspect that most of the people complaining don't even have a smartphone of any type, and probably are still in high school on their mom's family plan.

Here's what 90% of Verizon iPhone users will do with their tethering feature:

>At a park on their laptop, tethered, browsing Facebook

>Gets a phone call

>Answers the call, stops browsing the internet, talks for a few minutes

>hangs up, gets back on Facebook, and doesn't even notice that the internet disconnected while they were on the phone.

>NO BIG DEAL

And finally, because I'm already ranting, why on earth are people making up lies about staggered releases and such? No one ever, ever, ever said anything of the sort! Besides, you all know how much Apple likes uniformity. The iPhone 5 will have both types of radio built-in, and it will work on most US carriers without an issue.
  • Reply 115 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Voip, HotSpot, Wi-i, etc, are not free.

1) Is VoIP free? That depends on your choice of VoIP service provider, and in some cases, the type of remote terminal you're connecting to. For example, Skype-to-Skype calls do not incur any extra fees directly from the VoIP service provider, but Skype-to-Telco calls do incur an extra fee from the VoIP service provider.

2) Are HotSpots free? Some are, some aren't. But for some VoIP services, such as Skype, you are permitted to use your cellular data plan to access the service, bypassing the need to connect via WiFi. So the availability of WiFi might be irrelevant, depending on the VoIP service provider and your plan with your cellular network.

2a) Wanna use FaceTime instead? How about we connect our buddy's iPod touch to our iPhone using the Verizon iPhone's mobile WiFi hotspot. The iPod touch doesn't know anything about the nature of the Internet connection, just that the endpoint it's connecting to directly is WiFi based. So the iPod touch will probably be able to start a Facetime conversation -- over the iPhone's cellular connection -- without interrupting any other existing data connections. Could be QoS issues to sort out though due to the cellular data connection's potential lag.

3) Is WiFi free? Refer back to question 2. The use of WiFi, in itself, does not mean anything about whether or not you have to pay for it. That is determined by whether or not you have permission to use a nearby HotSpot, and how much money that nearby HotSpot charges to access it.
  • Reply 116 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Man I wished I lived in your neck of the woods. I would love to hear the sound of "silence" (unless they are clacking away on some POS plastic button keyboard), but the silent pitter pats of fingers having at it on their glass phone screen typing away. I'd love to hear that then actual one sided phone conversations, especially by those that increase their voice volume by a multiple of 10, that ensures I have to be exposed to that all important conversation, "Do we need eggs?" "How about milk?"..., conversations that are about nothing and only pollute the air waves!

@Rot

Go on the offensive...

Start your own loud (dummy or real) phone call -- something like this:

"Well, hello gorgeous, you sweet thing..."

"Ummmm..."

"Watcha' wearing?"

"What if I were to....."

Or...

Turn your speaker way up and play a particularly rousing ringtone such as:

http://web.me.com/dicklacara/ForWeb/Stripper.mp3
  • Reply 117 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are other options. There is VoIP on EV-DO Rev. A (VoRA). Qualcomm has a technology called QChat that does that. The protocol suite uses RTP, SIP and others that inline with FaceTime. FaceTime could do it, too, just remove the video part of it.

Apple and Verizon would have to collaborate as it requires the handset and network to work together, but that doesn?t seem to be the biggest hurdle.

One issue could be call quality, specifically with QoS compared to CDMA. Another issue could be CDMA talk time v. VoRA talk time. For all we know they looked into it and decided it wasn?t worth it, or are still working on it for iOS 5.0. We just don?t know.

Interesting. But then the question becomes why didn't Verizon work with other manufacturers to implement this earlier?

From a PR standpoint, this could backfire as lots of people will start questioning Verizon as to why the iPhone gets seemingly preferential treatment over other phones. Same CDMA network, but they did something extra just for the iPhone. Yes, you and I would understand why that is but the average American probably wouldn't.
  • Reply 118 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geeklvr View Post

After the announcement, I called ATT and asked for incentives to keep me on their network. I told them about the Verizon announcement, and offered to renew my contract if they would upgrade me to the iPhone 4 at no cost, and knock $15 off my month rate. They accepted the deal. ATT know the threat Verizon poses, and are eager to stop the bloodletting. I would encourage everyone who is willing to stick around to haggle.

Hey,

Did you own an iPhone 3Gs before you got the early upgrade offer from AT&T for no cost ??

and what is this $15.00 monthly rate that they discounted for you?
  • Reply 119 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

Actually the bigger problem may be how do you tell the phone to work if you are on the Internet. I don't know how Verizon's network works, but if you are on Edge on AT&T, phone calls don't come through. This was a huge problem for me before I upgraded to the 3GS.

I remember that... I listened to Pandora constantly and my phone essentially became a pager... voicemails dropping in 30 mins later.

I think that is pretty unlikely for Verizon though. It seems like a pretty diverse give-and-take. For some Verizon will be a better solution, others AT&T. It will be interesting to see how many customers are so fed up with AT&T that they'll buy-out the contract and switch horses mid-product cycle. AT&T might be able to keep customers in large part because the contracts are longer than the product cycles. \
  • Reply 120 of 131
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geeklvr View Post

After the announcement, I called ATT and asked for incentives to keep me on their network. I told them about the Verizon announcement, and offered to renew my contract if they would upgrade me to the iPhone 4 at no cost, and knock $15 off my month rate. They accepted the deal. ATT know the threat Verizon poses, and are eager to stop the bloodletting. I would encourage everyone who is willing to stick around to haggle.

they will probably do more,

if walmart pay phone is 45 / month unlimited text, talk and data, then my plan with a text plan say 1500 texts should be 55-60 so what is your price after 15off and what about your data plan?

and did you go to local shop or online, or with customer service. i just want the best deal for my 2 year contract. remember only about 15% of iphone users now are off contract.

we should start defining what a "great att deal " is.

i'll bet this gets REAL hot toward 2/3/10

we should have a "best deal with vz and att" thread

thanks