Apple's new CDMA iPhone has built-in Wi-Fi hotspot with iOS 4.2.5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The new Verizon-bound CDMA iPhone showed off at a press event on Tuesday also sports a new build of iOS, with version 4.2.5 featuring a built-in "Personal Hotspot" feature.



It remains unknown whether iOS 4.2.5 is exclusive to the CDMA Verizon iPhone, or if Apple will issue an update in the future to bring the Wi-Fi hotspot functionality to current iPhones on other carriers like AT&T. Verizon also did not announce pricing details for the tethering functionality.



The new Personal Hotspot feature is found in the native Settings application on the iPhone, sandwiched in between settings for Wi-Fi and Notifications.



Selecting Personal Hotspot allows users to turn the feature on and share their iPhone's 3G Internet connection via Wi-Fi. It notes that "additional usage charges may apply."



Users can also set a custom password for their local Wi-Fi network. Verizon said the iPhone will be able to share its Internet connection with up to five devices.



Personal Hotspot also works with Bluetooth, noting that computers can pair with the iPhone via the short-range wireless format to access the 3G Internet connection. Bluetooth connectivity with some devices has been possible in previous versions of iOS, though it is not compatible with the iPad.



Apple's CDMA iPhone runs iOS 4.2.5 with a built in Hotspot setting | Source: ArsTechnica



AT&T customers and others around the globe have had access to tethering on the iPhone for some time, though previously it was only available over USB or Bluetooth. AT&T charges customers $20 per month to allow tethering, while Verizon has not yet announced pricing details.



Aside from the Personal Hotspot feature, no new functions or fixes were immediately spotted in the CDMA iPhones demoed at Tuesday's press event. The hardware does include a new internal CDMA radio, as well as a tweaked antenna and frame design that leaked online earlier this month.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 31
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Will this come to the rest of the GSM iPhones?
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The new Personal Hotspot feature is found in the native Settings application on the iPone, sandwiched in between settings for Wi-Fi and Notifications.



    Looks like they've given it a new name as well as a new iOS.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    they'll probably charge 20 bucks to enable this...in which case I won't bother with it, and most people won't.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    From the video on Engadget it seems like the stainless steel antenna band around it was extra shiny like it had a thick clear-coat layer over it maybe to prevent the grip of death.



    Also didn't anyone try to put the VZW iPhone 4 into service mode to check out possible techy info?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Does this mean that 4.2.2, 4.2.3, and 4.2.4 are all coming out in the next month?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post


    Will this come to the rest of the GSM iPhones?



    Carrier dependent probably..
  • Reply 7 of 31
    fra-A-agmentation!
  • Reply 8 of 31
    mariomario Posts: 345member
    Personal WiFi hotspot is really just a more convenient tethering option (my iPhone 4 already allows tethering through Bluetooth or USB connection), so I hope this makes it to all iPhones.



    Rogers does not charge extra for tethering, so I don't see a reason this should not be made available for everyone.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post


    they'll probably charge 20 bucks to enable this...in which case I won't bother with it, and most people won't.



    It'll be free with a bit of a hack, in which case I will enable it if it works on GSM phones.



    But I have no interest in verizon, or CDMA iPhones. With other phones, it's easy to swap a battery when you run it down, and get back to talking.



    With a GSM iPhone, you can easily swap the SIM to a backup iPhone, or any other GSM phone.



    With CDMA? Doubtful. You typically have to call and pay a fee to switch phones - in other words, when the battery dies, you'd better have either another cell phone with its own plan or a land line handy.



    And no simultaneous voice and data? Deal killer. If they do a quad-band GSM iPhone, I would probably switch to t-mobile. Otherwise, it's at&t.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Don't be fooled. The 'Hotspot' being built into the Verizon IPHONE is free, however tethering will probably have a monthly charge. Notice how little detail was given about the pricing plans, extra fees etc at the press conference.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post


    But I have no interest in verizon, or CDMA iPhones. With other phones, it's easy to swap a battery when you run it down, and get back to talking.



    With a GSM iPhone, you can easily swap the SIM to a backup iPhone, or any other GSM phone.



    With CDMA? Doubtful. You typically have to call and pay a fee to switch phones - in other words, when the battery dies, you'd better have either another cell phone with its own plan or a land line handy.



    Or with any iPhone and even most other phones, you can plug in one of the variety of external backup batteries that cost $10-20 and keep talking for a couple of hours. Rechargeable ones as well as ones that use disposable AA or AAA batteries are available. Assuming you're not near an outlet and can't plug in a charger.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post


    With CDMA? Doubtful. You typically have to call and pay a fee to switch phones - in other words, when the battery dies, you'd better have either another cell phone with its own plan or a land line handy.



    Or just take it to Apple, as they handle that.



    Quote:

    And no simultaneous voice and data? Deal killer. If they do a quad-band GSM iPhone, I would probably switch to t-mobile. Otherwise, it's at&t.



    The iPhone 4 is already pentaband.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post


    other words, when the battery dies, you'd better have either another cell phone with its own plan or a land line handy.



    Or you could plug it in to a wall outlet, USB port, car charger, or a portable charger. I have yet to have one of my iPhones completely die and be unusable.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post


    fra-A-agmentation!



    You mean to tell me my device is not up to date!? What is this Android now?!
  • Reply 15 of 31
    AT&T should allow iPhone customers free MiFi access for their iPads and iPod touches...
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post


    Don't be fooled. The 'Hotspot' being built into the Verizon IPHONE is free, however tethering will probably have a monthly charge. Notice how little detail was given about the pricing plans, extra fees etc at the press conference.





    Verizon(interview on Engadget) says hotspot sharing with basic wireless data plan(presumed unlimited). Please explain your concern further.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    copying android.



    google should pull an apple move and sue them for this
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Verizon won't support Facetime on their "superior" CDMA Network.





    http://blogs.computerworld.com/17652...od_and_the_bad
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post


    fra-A-agmentation!



    Hardly... Same phone, same OS, same user interface,

    same technical specifications from a computing standpoint.

    (display, processor, io, etc.)

    The only difference is the cellular radio and a tweaked antenna for the different freq.)



    The mobile hotspot is a feature that will doubtless be offered on apple's gsm handsets.

    (No technical reason it can't, and every practical business reason it should)



    So hardly fragmentation..... unless it's sarcasm.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post


    Verizon won't support Facetime on their "superior" CDMA Network.





    http://blogs.computerworld.com/17652...od_and_the_bad



    Neither will AT&T, so that's a wash.
Sign In or Register to comment.