Verizon says it will also sell Apple's iPad with integrated CDMA

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
In addition to the new CDMA iPhone, Apple will also release a new iPad with a built-in CDMA radio to allow the touchscreen tablet to connect to Verizon's network, the carrier revealed on Tuesday.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Verizon Wireless Chief Financial Officer Francis Shammo reportedly said that his company will sell a new version of the iPad with an integrated CDMA radio. The current iPad with integrated radio is only compatible with AT&T's 3G wireless network in the U.S.

Verizon and Apple previously worked around the issue by bundling a MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot router with the Wi-Fi-only iPad. The hardware bundle started at $629 for the 16GB model, the exact same price as the 3G-capable hardware with direct connectivity to AT&T's network.

While Shammo reportedly spilled the details on the forthcoming CDMA iPad, he declined to say when the hardware might become available. First released last April, the iPad is expected to be updated to a second-generation version in the very near future. The anticipated update is part of an aggressive strategy that would see Apple update the hardware in less than a year, partially to push its FaceTime video chat standard with a camera-equipped iPad.

Cases and mockups claiming to represent the second-generation iPad began to appear online in late December. They suggested that, in addition to forward and rear facing cameras, the next-generation device will also include a larger speaker on its back and a tweaked, slightly thinner design.

There have also been reports of a new CDMA iPad being released in addition to the UMTS and Wi-Fi models currently available. Suppliers in the Far East suggested that the CDMA variant would account for roughly 30 percent of all iPads manufactured.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    iPads are very popular to take on trips. Your Verizon CDMA iPad will not work in Europe! (or any other cool place.....unless you think China is cool)
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Sure.. For iPad 2.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Well, if you have a Viphone, with hotspot, a CDMA ipad may not be needed. Nice! I do like that idea.

On the other hand, for you chatty users, the Viphone can't talk and chew gum(data) at the same time. Zzz-innngggg!
  • Reply 4 of 41
    My crystal ball says:

Apple will have an another event by the end of the month to release new iPads and Macbooks! the next-gen iPad will have both GSM/HSPA+ and CDMA variants. 6 months is enough time between the CDMA iphone vs the GSM one, but a couple of months is too short of a time to come out with a iPad v1 that's cdma compatible only to have trumped ~2 months later.

BTW, China is a cool place.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    If anything, I would hope that they put both CDMA and GSM into the iPad. Space constraints aren't as much of an issue in that device. It would totally suck to have to buy a different model to connect to a different carrier. By having dual radios, customers could buy subscriptions based on where they are getting the best coverage.

The confusion level between the wifi and 3G models is enough for some consumers. Now if you have to decide which one to buy based on the 3G service, it's going to be a world of mess.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

iPads are very popular to take on trips. Your Verizon CDMA iPad will not work in Europe! (or any other cool place.....unless you think China is cool)

most people don't care since there will be enough wifi that they won't want to pay the extra cost anyway
  • Reply 7 of 41
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    iPad 2 with GSM and CDMA built in.

It's too late to announce a CDMA version of the current iPad and I highly doubt Apple wants a third iPad line to further cloud their offerings.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

My crystal ball says the next-gen iPad will have both GSM/HSPA+ and CDMA variants.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

If anything, I would hope that they put both CDMA and GSM into the iPad. Space constraints aren't as much of an issue in that device. It would totally suck to have to buy a different model to connect to a different carrier.

This is the only product that it would be feasible, but there are is still the issue of cost. I know a lot of people think these chips are cost pennies on the dollar and nothing to produce and license, but that simply isn?t the case.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    What I would like to see in the iPad 2 space:

1) a model supporting all major cell radios -- current through 4G (LTE or whatever)

2) offered by Apple, resellers at a MSRP without contract

3) PayGo data plans by carriers -- ala the current ATT monthly plan

4) Carrier option to offer lower (subsidized) price with contract

5) Any carrier that sells iPad agrees to provide PayGo/Roaming support for iPad purchased elsewhere

This would put Apple firmly in control of its product pricing and product features.

With choice of any cell carrier, customer can pick and choose what best suits him?

This "Global iPad" will set the standard for how "Global iPhones" are offered when the technology is available.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is the only product that it would be feasible, but there are is still the issue of cost. I know a lot of people think these chips are cost pennies on the dollar and nothing to produce and license, but that simply isn?t the case.

Sol,

You are pretty much up to speed on all this!

What do you think are the total costs (parts, manufacturing, licensing, etc.) to make an Universal iPad -- that works on everything. Assume it would include some specialized radio management software/hardware so that the multiple radios would not be on simultaneously -- draining battery.

• Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

Don't forget Apple's economies of scale.

20-30 million CDMA antennas.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:

Apple could just eat the cost and take a small hit on its profit margin. They have said in the past that they're in a way better position to capitalize on economies of scale compared to anyone else and that they specifically have room to move with the iPad pricing if they have to.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

1) a model supporting all major cell radios -- current through 4G (LTE or whatever)

5) Any carrier that sells iPad agrees to provide PayGo/Roaming support for iPad purchased elsewhere

This would put Apple firmly in control of its product pricing and product features.

With choice of any cell carrier, customer can pick and choose what best suits him?

This "Global iPad" will set the standard for how "Global iPhones" are offered when the technology is available.

6) stereo speakers instead of one big one on the back

7) GPS chip standard

8) matte screen
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

most people don't care since there will be enough wifi that they won't want to pay the extra cost anyway

Yep, Al...Personally I'm leaning towards a WiFi only next gen. iPad. I can use my ATT iPhone 4 for when I don't have Wifi....I just don't want another $20-$30 coming out of my checking account! I want to keep my relationship with companies like ATT and Cocks Cable, Google, MS and car/health insurance companies to a minimum! Ugggh!

Best

PS. Same with Banks, Credit Card companies!
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

BTW, China is a cool place.

I know, it's great, even the guys look like chicks!
  • Reply 16 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Sol,

You are pretty much up to speed on all this!

What do you think are the total costs (parts, manufacturing, licensing, etc.) to make an Universal iPad -- that works on everything. Assume it would include some specialized radio management software/hardware so that the multiple radios would not be on simultaneously -- draining battery.

I have no idea. There are too many unknowns. But if we look at the upgrade cost of these ?3G? additions to other devices and USB/PCMCIA cards it seems unlikely to me that it could fall into that price point and still yield Apple the profit they want.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Don't forget Apple's economies of scale.

20-30 million CDMA antennas.

Qualcomm used to charge a per unit licensing cost that was a percentage of the total device cost. Unless Apple can get make a better deal with Qualcomm it seems impossible to me that they would go this route.

Now consider that cost with all the iPhones to be sold for the next 5 years if they made one device for the world, depsite most the world of iPhone buyers only having access to GSM/UMTS networks.

Quote:

Apple could just eat the cost and take a small hit on its profit margin. They have said in the past that they're in a way better position to capitalize on economies of scale compared to anyone else and that they specifically have room to move with the iPad pricing if they have to.

Sure, they could, but their goal is to maximize profits. If they think they can do that by creating one model from two, they will. Note that other vendors aren?t making these ?world mode? anything in bulk. The only phones that are ?world mode? hamstrung in many ways. If these was more economical I?d have expected these to be the norm, not the exception. If anyone can do it, Apple can with their economy of scale, but that is not a guarantee it?s high enough to benefit them or even if that is an issue.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Dick, Happy Holidays!

Have you noticed any increase in 3G speed in your area (Foreclosure Valley? - hope it loses its moniker soon, by the way). I've noticed since last weekend an increase of 2x-3x in download speed, and an increase in upload of 5X, all around the area encompassing Palo Alto/Mtn View//Sunnyvale. Guess ATT "turned on" their HSPA+ fiber in time with the Verizon launch, just so they could say Verizon's 3G speed in "living in the slow lane".
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I know, it's great, even the guys look like chicks!

That comment is wrong in so many ways, funny, but wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

I understand that the chips will be more expensive but let's not forget the cost associated with running different production lines and maintaining inventory for separate products. A single model that could be shipped anywhere that Apple has a carrier partner would offset a good portion of the increased chip cost.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Isn't the Mi-Fi the better deal? I mean, if you have that you have a Wi-Fi signal and you can then 1) have a FaceTime chat on your iPhone while on the road, 2) can share that wi-fi with up to 4 other people, 3) not drain the battery as fast on your iPad since the Wi-Fi performance is better and 4) if the iPad 2 comes with the cameras you'd be able to FaceTime. If they switch the iPad to an integrated CDMA chip you actually lose all of that functionality and yet the price will remain the same...