Inside the Apple-Verizon iPhone deal: technical planning took 6-9 months

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new, close partnership with Verizon has already lead to information leaks, including numerous reports on the Verizon iPhone announcement well before Tuesday's press conference. And also this week, Verizon's chief financial officer, Francis Shammo, let slip that Apple is planning a new iPad with an integrated CDMA radio that will allow the touchscreen tablet to access Verizon's network without the need for a MiFi portable hotspot.

Apple is gonna have to get used to that! Sign all the NDA's you want, when you have to have the same "secret" amongst more and more sources (Taiwan production plants) and people (Big Red's CFO), word is bound to slip out whether intentionally or not.

I'm sure that engineer for Apple testing the iPhone 4 was told "Not to lose your phone!"

/

/

/
  • Reply 22 of 46
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the commercial agreement with Apple and Verizon was finalized in just a day, the technical preparations to bring the iPhone to the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. took much longer.

Really? Wow, who would have guessed that.

-kpluck
  • Reply 23 of 46
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    <they're setting themselves up for another P.R. disaster if Verizon doesn't have enough bandwidth to support the users.>

disaster is a pretty strong word for a company that has invented a new paradigm in mobile and is getting paid for it every day.

verizon engineers are probably getting an education from apple engineers that they never could envision.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    what they did not have the "can you hear me now" guy walking around making sure it works everywhere and you get data everywhere... Oh it is doomed...

I think the Engineer over simplify it only took one day for the commercial terms. I bet the commercial terms were in discussion long before the first VZ engineer ever was told to go visit apple. VZ T&C are nightmare, I have seen them, they are horrible to deal with and you can pretty much assume that Apple would not agree to a single one of them.

The fact they work out the technical issue in 6 to 9 month has more to say about Apple then VZ. It take VZ 6 to 9 months for them to simply approve the use of any phone on their network even when it all works the first time.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is it all from the silly ?antenna-gate?? One thing to note is that AnandTech already put the Verizon iPhone in Field-Test mode and found that the ?death grip? is equvalant to the iPhone 4 GSM. So much for Apple redesigning a faulty antenna design. \

It's interesting that on another site, they tried that, and didn't get the same results. But, -85 db isn't a big deal. It's when you get down to -110 that a real problem crops up. So we really need to know the field strength at the testing site for it to be of any value.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

what they did not have the "can you hear me now" guy walking around making sure it works everywhere and you get data everywhere... Oh it is doomed...

I think the Engineer over simplify it only took one day for the commercial terms. I bet the commercial terms were in discussion long before the first VZ engineer ever was told to go visit apple.

The fact they work out the technical issue in 6 to 9 month has more to say about Apple then VZ. It take VZ 6 to 9 months for them to simply approve the use of any phone on their network even when it all works the first time.

I don't remember if it was Apple or Verizon who said it at the news conference, but they said that they were working together since 2008.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Reminds me of the Steven Wright joke where he starts, "About two years ago...no, wait, it was last night."

Love Steven Wright humor...

"Four years ago... No, it was yesterday."

"I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering."

"I can levitate birds. No one cares."

"I owed my friend George $25. For about three weeks I owed it to him. The whole time I had the money on me -- he didn't know it. Walking through New York City, 2:30 in the morning and got held up. The robber said, "Gimme all your money." I said, "Wait a minute." I said, "George, here's the 25 dollars I owe you." Then the thief took a thousand dollars out of his own money and he gave it to George. At gunpoint he made me borrow a thousand dollars from George."

"I like to reminisce with people I don't know. Granted, it takes longer."

"Whenever I think about the past, it just brings back so many memories."

"I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. So I said, "Got any shoes you're not using?"

"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."

"I filled out an application that said, "In Case Of Emergency Notify ________". I wrote "Doctor"... What's my MOTHER going to do?"

"(Referring to a glass of water I mixed this myself. Two parts H, one part O. I don't trust anybody!"

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

"I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it."

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot."

"I bought my brother some gift-wrap for Christmas. I took it to the Gift Wrap Department and told them to wrap it, but in a different print so he would know when to stop unwrapping. "

"Hermits have no peer pressure."

"If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?"

"What do batteries run on?"

"After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?"

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature."

"My grandfather invented Cliff's Notes. It all started back in 1912... Well, to make a long story short ..."

"I bought a self-learning record to learn Spanish. I turned it on and went to sleep; the record got stuck. The next day I could only stutter in Spanish."

"When I have a kid, I want to buy one of those strollers for twins. Then put the kid in and run around, looking frantic. When he gets older, I'd tell him he used to have a brother, but he didn't obey."

"What's another word for Thesaurus?"

"I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically."

'One time I went to a drive-in in a taxi cab. The movie cost me $95."

"I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper."

"I have an answering machine in my car. It says, "I'm home now. But leave a message and I'll call when I'm out."

"I replaced the headlights in my car with strobe lights, so it looks like I'm the only one moving."

"Doing a little work around the house. I put fake brick wallpaper over a real brick wall, just so I'd be the only one who knew. People come over and I'm gonna say, "Go ahead, touch it... It feels real.""

"I got an answering machine for my phone. Now when I'm not home and somebody calls me up, they hear a recording of a busy signal. I like to leave messages before the beep."

"Last week I bought a new phone. I took it out of the box, hooked it up to the wall... Pressed redial. The phone had a nervous breakdown."

"I went to the museum where they had all the heads and arms from the statues that are in all the other museums."

"There was a power outage at a department store yesterday. Twenty people were trapped on the escalators."

"I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car. The other is a rare photograph of Norman Rockwell beating up a child."

"I bought a dog the other day... I named him Stay. It's fun to call him... "Come here, Stay! Come here, Stay!" He went insane."

"My neighbor has a circular driveway... He can't get out."

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"I worked as a lumberjack for a lumber company. All of the trees were just 10 feet high and 1/4 inch thick. We made paneling. "

"I saw a sign at a gas station. It said "Help Wanted." There was another sign below it that said "Self Service." So I hired myself. Then I made myself the boss. I gave myself a raise. I paid myself. Then I quit."

"I own the erasers for all the miniature golf pencils."

"A friend of mine is into Voodoo Acupuncture. You don't have to go. You'll just be walking down the street, and... Ooooohhhhhh, that's much better..."

"I invented the cordless extension cord."

"There's a pizza place near where I live that sells only slices. In the back you can see a guy tossing a triangle in the air."

"I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography."

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done, so now I just have to fill in the rest."
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

In other news, the CDMA ipad is cancelled.

Just kidding. Apple may have told them it was OK to spill. It changes nothing, really.

I agree that nothing is changed. This was the next logical step anyway.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Love Steven Wright humor...

Very funny. I've never seen him.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would think they’d change up their policy for real world testing. I can see some vehicles being outfitted with testers driving around for 8 hours a day. Keeping the device in the vehicle and always having someone in the vehicle.

But that's not real-world testing.

Real-world testing is taking your iPhone to a baseball game, a hockey arena, your kid's birthday party at the beach boardwalk, a noisy bar, a rock show at the Fillmore, a beer garden, a BART train, a VTA bus, a ski resort, a hiking trail, etc. Talk, take pictures, shoot video, send texts, watch streaming video, send streaming video.

You need a myriad of environments (light, sound, temperature, etc.) for real-world testing.

Apple accepts the risks of real-world testing. They have to if they're going to produce a handset that many people will want to buy.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Verizon is one of the most notorious in terms of crippling phones and plastering their junk all over phones. McAdam I'm sure is downplaying this to save face.

It's nice to know that Verizon is finally someone else's lapdog for a change. McAdam probably had to bite his lower-lip numerous times due be being told "No" by Jobs / Apple in terms of iPhone deals.

In the end, this is very exciting times for Apple the the smartphone industry. I'm eagerly waiting to see about CDMA use in China / India. This is going to be huge for Apple and AAPL!

I'm still trying to figure out what concessions Apple made. I am sure they made some beyond the obvious of not requiring Verizon to make the network upgrades to support concurrent voice and data. One possibility is that they allowed Verizon to have their own Apple-approved marketing campaign. Building on this, Apple may even be providing co-op advertising funds.

It is still nice (and significant) that the VeriPhone is essentially "unmolested" as addabox puts it.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    My guess is that Apple made no concessions to Verizon Wireless.

When Apple tossed the terms on the table, they probably said, "They're the same terms that all our other carriers around the world got. Oh yeah, we might stop by at Sprint and T-Mobile USA."

Verizon replied, "Where do we sign?"

solipsism pointed this out earlier.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1HYUyhujl4
  • Reply 34 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

This is probably what AT&T did as well. What's the point of this? The purpose of the phone, regardless of carrier, is not just to work on Apple's campus - it's to work anywhere. Does Apple still think they can release phones without doing extensive testing in the real world? Because if they do, they're setting themselves up for another P.R. disaster if Verizon doesn't have enough bandwidth to support the users.

Apple does extensive testing both off campus and on campus. The "lost" iPhone should highlight that.

As for Verizon and bandwidth that will be a problem when more and more users switch to smart phones no matter what the brand. A poor network however does not reflect on Apple but rather the carrier. As it is the noise about AT&T and poor performance is just that, AT&T has been outstanding for me. The few places AT&T has issues have been in cities that are Democratic strong holds which should tell you something.

Quote:

According to news reports, Verizon's website has already had problems. If they weren't smart enough to get more server capacity for the crush, do you really think they've expanded their network enough to support the crush of new iPhone users?

Honestly I don't but does that surprise anybody? Really I expect the same sorts of issues AT&T had. You learn by doing and when the crush comes you learn how good your planing was.

In a way this is no different than when a natural disaster strikes. You can plan all you want but you really don't know for sure how well the systems you have developed will work until you use them. Of course lots of people (democrats mostly) don't understand this expecting instant relief from the government.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkKnot View Post

When AT&T was getting really bashed for lack of bandwidth from iPhone users they swooped-in and took over the WiFi hotspots at Starbucks, McDonalds, etc. At first they controlled free access to AT&T users with an SMS authentication method. Later they relaxed this and now you can use any device at Starbucks for free internet even Android, Palm, Symbian, laptops, etc.

Now that Verizon Wireless will have the iPhone will AT&T roll-back their WiFi hotspot policy limiting use to AT&T devices? Even though I'm an AT&T iPhone user having easy access for my laptop would be nice to continue. And even though I may be 'subsidizing' Verizon iPhone users bandwidth there, with my AT&T fees, being able to do Facetime chats with Verizon iPhone users, since FT is WiFi only, would be good.

How much does companies like Starbucks pay AT&T for providing hotspots? Maybe their fees will go up?

What does AT&T's policies with respect to WiFi hotspots have to do with Verizon? Please explain.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Verizon is one of the most notorious in terms of crippling phones and plastering their junk all over phones. McAdam I'm sure is downplaying this to save face.

My thoughts exactly! If it wasn't such a big deal, why do all their other phones have crapware, Verizon logos and why did they even kick google off of Android?

Ha! It's a good day for consumers indeed - Verizon wireless is stuff back into the appropriate hole; a shuffler of bits.

So much for the "Apple needing Verizon" arguments
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:

It's interesting that on another site, they tried that, and didn't get the same results. But, -85 db isn't a big deal. It's when you get down to -110 that a real problem crops up. So we really need to know the field strength at the testing site for it to be of any value.

Signal strength is certainly a factor but so are many other things. The fact is everything around an antenna will have so impact on how it radiates and receives. The type of building impact transmissions, the person holding the device impacts antenna performance, even the orientation of the device impacts performance.

Maybe it is the cable generation that has zero appreciation for RF communications, but any body that has ever set up a TV antenna, or tried to grab a remote signal on an AM radio would understand this. If you are into HAM radio or even CB usage you have even more experience with the sometimes weirdness of RF communications. Unfortunately people expect a cell phone to work like a land line and it just isn't possible.

IPhone 4 does have a problem with that gap but people need to come to grips with the idea that they have some responsibility to get the device to work correctly. Even then the phone has one of the best performing RF front ends going so it takes a tiny bit more effort in exchange for leading edge performance.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

His girlfriend wanted an expensive dinner so he took her to the airport for a sandwich...

His dry humor combined with the delivery is a treat - I really enjoy his comedy.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

<they're setting themselves up for another P.R. disaster if Verizon doesn't have enough bandwidth to support the users.>

disaster is a pretty strong word for a company that has invented a new paradigm in mobile and is getting paid for it every day.

verizon engineers are probably getting an education from apple engineers that they never could envision.

Actually, this is not correct. Apple was very new to network utilization when they first released the iPhone. The iPhone was not efficient and used more network resources than needed. AT&T helped Apple correct this. I imagine Verizon helped Apple even further.

Those that have used Apple's enterprise products know that Apple is very new to things outside of the consumer market. This includes the network side of things. The good thing is that they learn from their mistakes and try to improve. It takes time, but it happens.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Since it's non-exclusive, I wonder what the terms are exactly... besides the obvious no logos, no crapware, don't fcuk with our phone or we'll have you killed, blah, yadda, etc