Patent lawsuit accuses Apple of display-related infringement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple joins a number of electronics companies and TV manufacturers as the target of a new lawsuit alleging infringement of patents related to display technologies.

The new lawsuit filed by Advanced Display Technologies of Texas LLC claims Apple and others are infringing on U.S. Patent No. 5,739,931, "Illumination System Employing an Array of Microprisms," and U.S. Patent No. 6,261,664, "Optical Structures for Diffusing Light."

No specific Apple products are named in the suit, but the broad complaint accuses the Cupertino, Calif., company of patent violations with "computers, computer monitors, mobile telephones, and mobile media players." That would mean the lion's share of Apple products, including iPhones, Macs and iPods, are claimed to be in violation of both the '664 and '931 patents.

Apple is far from alone in the suit, joined by a number of other high-profile technology companies in the Advanced Display Technologies complaint. Among those named are computer maker Asus and rival smartphone maker research in motion.

Unsurprisingly, the display-related complaint also targets a number of companies that specialize in building television sets and computer montiros. Among those named are Haier, Vizio, Viewsonic and Sharp.

Though the lawsuit lists the company as "Advanced Display Technologies," a similarly named "Advance Display Technology" exists online at the website adtimediainc.com. That company describes itself as "a worldwide leader in proprietary digital display products specifically engineered for the human optical system."

One of the company's products is a mesh outdoor LED display architecture known as "SkyNet," claimed to feature "the latest in LED technology, design, durability and support.

The complaint was filed in a U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Texas, where patent lawsuits are often initiated in hopes of a favorable outcome.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:

The complaint was filed in a U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Texas, where patent lawsuits are often initiated in hopes of a favorable outcome.

This has to stop.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

This has to stop.

Here we go again! Backlighting monitors. Who'd have thought??!!

Next on the list, buttons on a keyboard... just wait....
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:

This has to stop.

At least this company was from Texas. When a company from say New York files in East Texas against a company from Calf. I can't even see how they would allow it.

But I agree completely that this has to stop. It is absolutely absurd.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Quote:

This has to stop.

It is quite ridiculous isn't it. There should be an investigation at the Federal level into this East Texas set up. If it were consistent with American Law and the rest of the country's court systems then it would not get so many claimants at its door!
  • Reply 5 of 31
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:

This has to stop.

More like AppleInsider needs to stop devoting a new thread everytime one of these gets filed- like who really cares?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member

Why can't the GREAT State of Texas do something that will stop this district from making Texans look like idiots and predators because of these asinine court actions. Each one of them costs the defendants who in turn pass the costs onto their consumers.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    SkyNet?

Seriously? Will James Cameron make an appearance?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

At least this company was from Texas. When a company from say New York files in East Texas against a company from Calf. I can't even see how they would allow it.

But I agree completely that this has to stop. It is absolutely absurd.

It is pretty common for patent troll companies to set up shop in Texas.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    The state of Texas has no control over this court. It is a Federal Court. The judges are appointed by the President. One judge in particular, T. John Ward seems to be a favorite for patent lawsuits. Patent lawsuit in that federal district have increased over 10 times what they were before he became a judge there. And the plaintiffs in his patent cases seem to win at a higher rate than the defendants compared to other district courts. Losers in patent cases can appeal to the Federal District Court of Appeals, and then on to the Supreme Court.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Why can't the GREAT State of Texas do something that will stop this district from making Texans look like idiots and predators because of these asinine court actions. Each one of them costs the defendants who in turn pass the costs onto their consumers.

I'm no expert in law or finance, but perhaps the tax revenue?

I hate these patent hoarding, squatting companies. What I hate even more is this type of courts and judges.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Funny how in each and every one of these threads so many legal experts come out of the woodwork.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Even if the complaint is valid, shouldn't the lawsuit be against the suppliers of the infringing component? Is it Apple's responsibility to investigate every single component to ensure every single supplier isn't infringing on someone else's patent? What's next, am I going to be sued because I bought a TV that uses this technology?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    This is the first time i get so many consequent replies.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Funny how in each and every one of these threads so many legal experts come out of the woodwork.

We are talking about a country where you can buy a gun (legally) one day and shoot 6 people the next (including some politician, Giffords right?). It goes without saying that legal system you have there is pretty f'ed.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

We are talking about a country where you can buy a gun (legally) one day and shoot 6 people the next (including some politician, Giffords right?). It goes without saying that legal system you have there is pretty f'ed.

You are an idiot.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This may be the first case that actually should have been filed in Marshall. The boys in East Texas have gained quite a reputation for being friendly towards those seeking damages.

Makes me wonder if these good ole boys are on a commission?

(Note: I do call Texas home as I went to high school here, TAMU and returned later with a family - my wife is also from Texas. I am in no way proud of what they are doing. )

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain".
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Why can't the GREAT State of Texas do something that will stop this district from making Texans look like idiots and predators because of these asinine court actions.

Ummmm, because they are.

(apologies to the previous poster. He's uses a Mac so he's okay)
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

You are an idiot.

I usually am. Anything else?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:

I usually am. Anything else?

Yeah. Your reply was completely irrelevant.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yeah. Your reply was completely irrelevant.

It usually is.