Apple's iOS 4.3 beta reveals 'Find My Friends' feature, new iPads, iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    This feature will be a great addition to the iPhone.

But of course not all will see it that way.

Until of course they really need to find out where their

son or daughter is at. And no I don't mean spying, but

seriously worried about them.

Some people seem to be paranoid about this type of thing.

Sure those will probably be the ones that can't be trusted.

The "I am going out with the guys for a while". Really just

means, "I am trying to hook up with another girl".

Those people will decide not to use this feature. And they

will argue, "I don't want nobody lookong over my shoulder".

We all can decide for ourselves.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

No. I assume that she is fully aware and approving of the activity. So it's the equivalent of her saying please look in my pocketbook for a tic-tac.

Im sure that in her case she is aware. I deal with the public everyday for work and I come across a surprisingly good amount of people that just have the iPhone because it's "the iPhone" they don't know much on how to use it to it's full potential. One person I met had no idea you could email or surf the web with safari. So I'm sure those people's spouse or gf/bf could set there phones up to be tracked. It's a good concept but I'm sure you have to allow yourself to be tracked. But i can see where it could be a total invasion of privacy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Is this a lesbian/bisexual thing?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Quote:

There are 3 different new iPad's in iOS 4.3 and the different levels of storage don't count from an OS perspective. Last year we had 2 models in the OS, WIFI and GSM. You can guess what the third will be.

What is the difference between iPhone3,1 and iPhone 3,2? Besides storage, I'm not aware of any differences in iPhone models, and I was under the impression that the iPhone 4 was had the ID iPhone3,1.
    • iPhone: iPhone1,1

• iPhone 3G: iPhone1,2

• iPhone 3GS: iPhone2,1

• iPhone 4: iPhone3,1

• ???: iPhone3,2

• iPhone 4 Verizon: iPhone3,3

Edit: Or maybe I'm wrong, based on this article at Ars. Perhaps the Verizon iPhone is iPhone3,2 and there's still an iPhone3,3 that hasn't been released (and may never be).
  • Reply 24 of 59
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

No. I assume that she is fully aware and approving of the activity. So it's the equivalent of her saying please look in my pocketbook for a tic-tac.

If she's fully aware and approving, I'd suggest looking in my pocket for a banana instead.

Oh wait, you said pocketBOOK. Missed that part.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The first iOS 4.3 beta this week includes references to a new "Find My Friends" feature

That's just plain creepy. No thanks.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    No one is gonna use the "find my friends" feature, especially if it is tied to mobile me, since very few iPhone users actually have it.

Verizon iPhone being referred to as iPhone 3,3 is pretty weird, I guess it's true that the deal has been in development for two years.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I'm hoping that with iPad 2.0 Apple has removed the question of WiFi or 3G.

I hope there is a single model with WiFi+GSM+CDMA+GPS.

The only choice is how many GBs.

I think 6 SKUs is too many.

I don't think Apple would add a separate CDMA model and go to 9 iPad SKUs.

I think that 9 versions would be very good for choice and for increasing market share. It is possible that there will only be 1 Wi-Fi model, with lowest amount of storage.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

A clue maybe, but not a fact worthy of publication. We have no idea what negotiations took place or what the result was regarding announcement of a CDMA-compatible iPad.

So if it is not a big deal, why didn't they announce it with the iPhone. Why are we getting this back hall comment. And why no confirmation by Apple via a press release.

Frankly I think the guy either

1. Was misquoted and actually said they were working on getting one but it is not a done deal

2. Slipped something he should not have

3. Is talking out of his hat and it is not being worked on at this time at all

Personally I think an iPad that uses CDMA will happen. But based on previous rumors it wont be a separate lineup. Rather Apple will release an iPad with both radios in it. In another generation or two we might only have the one lineup due to prices being low enough. Kept the bottom rank wifi only for the kiddies etc, but that's all. Not unlike the whole low end last model iPhone thing
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Kept the bottom rank wifi only for the kiddies etc,

With WiFi tethering on most smartphones on most networks, I see the WiFi model becoming the more popular choice for most people. Consumers are not going to want 3, 4, 5 different data plans for different devices.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

I know you're joking but I use Find My iPhone to locate my wife about once every few months - usually when she's late. The kids will gather around and we'll locate her phone and follow her progress back to the house. Saves an annoying phone call to my wife and distracts the kids from the wait.

Do you ask her what she was doing at that seedy hotel on the edge of town when she gets back?
  • Reply 31 of 59
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hohlecow View Post

What is the difference between iPhone3,1 and iPhone 3,2? Besides storage, I'm not aware of any differences in iPhone models, and I was under the impression that the iPhone 4 was had the ID iPhone3,1.
    • iPhone: iPhone1,1

• iPhone 3G: iPhone1,2

• iPhone 3GS: iPhone2,1

• iPhone 4: iPhone3,1

• ???: iPhone3,2

• iPhone 4 Verizon: iPhone3,3

Edit: Or maybe I'm wrong, based on this article at Ars. Perhaps the Verizon iPhone is iPhone3,2 and there's still an iPhone3,3 that hasn't been released (and may never be).

iPhone: 2 is logical: 1 GSM, 1 CDMA

iPad: 3 is logical: 1 WiFi-only, one GSM, one CDMA

The third iPhone may be an (experimental) LTE model. Or it may stand for an WiFi-only iPhone (i.e. iPod) which only uses FaceTime and VoIP to make calls).
  • Reply 32 of 59
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Any idea on the release date for the iOS? As well as any possible new iTunes version?

I can only guess late Jan./early Feb.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

In another generation or two we might only have the one lineup due to prices being low enough. Kept the bottom rank wifi only for the kiddies etc, but that's all. Not unlike the whole low end last model iPhone thing

Quote:

With WiFi tethering on most smartphones on most networks, I see the WiFi model becoming the more popular choice for most people. Consumers are not going to want 3, 4, 5 different data plans for different devices.

Totally agree with AIaddict. I have no interest in either the hassle or cost of various data plans when WiFi suits my needs 98% of the time. And I'm decades away from being a "kiddie".
  • Reply 34 of 59
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Totally agree with AIaddict. I have no interest in either the hassle or cost of various data plans when WiFi suits my needs 98% of the time. And I'm decades away from being a "kiddie".

Old fart
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

This feature will be a great addition to the iPhone.

But of course not all will see it that way.

Until of course they really need to find out where their

son or daughter is at. And no I don't mean spying, but

seriously worried about them.

Some people seem to be paranoid about this type of thing.

Sure those will probably be the ones that can't be trusted.

The "I am going out with the guys for a while". Really just

means, "I am trying to hook up with another girl".

Those people will decide not to use this feature. And they

will argue, "I don't want nobody lookong over my shoulder".

We all can decide for ourselves.

What a bunch of BS. I have no interest in having my whereabouts tracked by anyone online, and that includes Apple. The carriers have that data because they're required to by law, but that's it. Are there special cases where it might be worthwhile? Sure, alzheimers folks; maybe some kids/teens if they're not perfectly trustworthy, I guess. Probably others as well. But not the general population. As CEOStevie says:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

I feel sad for you and any significant other of yours, if the first thing you think of when people who don't want to be geo-monitored say "I am going out with the guys for a while" is that they really mean "I am trying to hook up with another girl". At the risk of sounding insulting (and I don't know you at all), that sounds like more of a statement about your values and/or the kind of people you hang around.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Old fart

Thanks!

Then again, "decades" could be as little as 2
  • Reply 37 of 59
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Remember a time before cell phones and how you made plans to meet a friend at a particular location and time and somehow you were able to do without relying on ten phone calls (where are you?, you said to call you when I got to main street now you are not answering your phone, OMG). Let's add a track device that will eliminate that desperate call and replaces it with (just track me when I get downtown and we can hook up). All of this "convenience" seems like like a lot more work and less efficient than, "meet you at the corner of main and high street 12 o'clock."

Jealous boyfriends and girlfriends you just got a new tool to broaden your suspicions that your mate "may" be cheating. Have fun.

In the movie "The Social Network", Zuckerberg's partner got "caught" on Facebook by his girlfriend - he hadn't bothered to remove his "single" reference, which he lamely explained was because he didn't know how to change it - his girlfriend went ballistic, and tried to burn down his apartment. (my friend at Facebook says Zuckerberg verified this story).

You don't need GPS friend finder technology to get yourself into trouble, what with the prevalence of Facebook.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

"Find My Friends" sounds like it can be used by a paranoid spouse to check up on the other one.

Leave the phone at a trusted location and with call forwarding turned on. They won't suspect a thing.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

But for a parent trying to keep in contact with a couple kids running around a mall or amusement part, it can be a Godsend. It makes it far easier to coordinate when you can figure they are around the corner rather than going through the whole shebang of playing 20+ questions of where are you.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:

Now if only we could convince the wireless network operators of that