Rumor: Apple's iPhone 5 to sport new A8 processor, Qualcomm baseband

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's forthcoming fifth-generation iPhone will sport a new, faster custom processor dubbed the A8, as well as a baseband processor from Qualcomm, according to a new report.



Hong Kong-based newspaper Apple Daily reported Friday (via Google Translate) that parts for the new "iPhone 5," expected to arrive this year, will come from Taiwanese supplier Kinsus. The company is said to be working on a new custom processor, dubbed A8.



Apple's first custom portable processor based on the ARM architecture debuted in the iPad last year. Known as the A4, it includes the CPU, GPU and RAM.



The A4 also appeared in the iPhone 4, iPod touch, and new Apple TV. The creation of custom chips became possible through Apple's acquisitions of chipmakers Intrinsity and PA Semi.



Friday's report also notes that the iPhone 5 will include a baseband from Qualcomm, the company that built the first CDMA-based cellular base station in the early 1990s. Qualcomm's radios may also already be present in the forthcoming CDMA iPhone 4, set to debut on Verizon's network on Feb. 10.



The impending launch of the Verizon iPhone has led to some speculation that Apple may not make the so-called "iPhone 5" available in a CDMA variant until as late as early 2012. But Friday's report could suggest that Apple intends to introduce a new CDMA fifth-generation iPhone, along with a new version of the longstanding GSM model, right on schedule this summer.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 89
    A8... dual core A4?

    just dreaming...
  • Reply 2 of 89
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Might that get confusing with the Cortex A8 given that this "A8" is likely based on the Cortex A9?
  • Reply 3 of 89
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,774member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple's forthcoming fifth-generation iPhone will sport a new, faster custom processor dubbed the A8, as well as a baseband processor from Qualcomm, according to a new report.



    Hong Kong-based newspaper Apple Daily reported Friday (via Google Translate) that parts for the new "iPhone 5," expected to arrive this year, will come from Taiwanese supplier Kinsus. The company is said to be working on a new custom processor, dubbed A8.



    Apple's first custom portable processor based on the ARM architecture debuted in the iPad last year. Known as the A4, it includes the CPU, GPU and RAM.



    The A4 also appeared in the iPhone 4, iPod touch, and new Apple TV. The creation of custom chips became possible through Apple's acquisitions of chipmakers Intrinsity and PA Semi.



    Friday's report also notes that the iPhone 5 will include a baseband from Qualcomm, the company that built the first CDMA-based cellular base station in the early 1990s. Qualcomm's radios may also already be present in the forthcoming CDMA iPhone 4, set to debut on Verizon's network on Feb. 10.



    The impending launch of the Verizon iPhone has led to some speculation that Apple may not make the so-called "iPhone 5" available in a CDMA variant until as late as early 2012. But Friday's report could suggest that Apple intends to introduce a new CDMA fifth-generation iPhone, along with a new version of the longstanding GSM model, right on schedule this summer.



    Ok what's different about this processor VS the other ones?
  • Reply 4 of 89
    Is Apple stealing Audi's car names for their chips? What follows the A8... the A8 Convertible?
  • Reply 5 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post


    Might that get confusing with the Cortex A8 given that this "A8" is likely based on the Cortex A9?



    A4 X 2 = A8.. Get it it?
  • Reply 6 of 89
    How about putting that thing on the iPad 2..
  • Reply 7 of 89
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post


    How about putting that thing on the iPad 2..



    That what will happen. Whatever processor the next iPhone gets we will see it first in the iPad 2.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,652member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Is Apple stealing Audi's car names for their chips? What follows the A8... the A8 Convertible?



    Obviously, the R8. Much snappier than the A8.
  • Reply 9 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Obviously, the R8. Much snappier than the A8.



    As an older man with more sedentary tastes in ride and luxury... I prefer the A8L-W12 in my iPad 2.
  • Reply 10 of 89
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post


    A8... dual core A4?

    just dreaming...



    You dream too small.



    The A4 is a variant of the Arm Cortex A8.

    A dual core A4 would be a variant of a dual core Arm Cortex A8 (do these exist?).





    The (Apple) A8 is likely a variant of a dual core Arm Cortex A9, the successor to the Arm Cortex A8.



    Why do I say this? The Playbook is going to be running a dual core Arm Cortex A9 and is expected to ship in the same timeframe as the iPad. I highly doubt something produced by RIM will outspec apple's products (look at BB phones). If RIM will be using an A9, it should be ready for Apple to use as well.



    I really wish Apple chose a different naming convention for their processors.
  • Reply 11 of 89
    And it begins...no longer able to inundate us with Verizon rumors, we will now have a year of iPhone 5 rumors.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post


    Might that get confusing with the Cortex A8 given that this "A8" is likely based on the Cortex A9?



    That?s what I?m thinking. When I read A8 I start wonder if it?s a further refined version of the Cortex-A8 or a dual core Cortex-A9. We should be calling this an Apple A8 to get some clarity with these already confusing tags.



    I really do wonder if the stock Cortex-A9 is better than what Apple could do to a Cortex-A8 after a couple years to make it more power efficient. I think the Cortex-A9 wins, but then we have to consider the quantities Apple will need out of the gate and for the year. More than 100 million between the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, right? How many are being produced right now?





    PS: What is the rhyme and reason for Apple?s naming convention?
  • Reply 13 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    I really wish Apple chose a different naming convention for their processors.



    Yeah, something like the "XH9QQZ4-207-PBLNZX Chip"... which just rolls off the tongue.
  • Reply 14 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longliveapple View Post


    And it begins...no longer able to inundate us with Verizon rumors, we will now have a year of iPhone 5 rumors.



    Don't forget the impending iPad 2.0 rumors.
  • Reply 15 of 89
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,538moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post


    Might that get confusing with the Cortex A8 given that this "A8" is likely based on the Cortex A9?



    As confusing as the A4 being based on the A8.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150


    A4 X 2 = A8.. Get it it?



    Hopefully that's what it means. Dual 1GHz processors would make for a very smooth experience and if they can do something like the Atrix phone, that would be awesome.



    Think about when you go away on holiday. You don't want to have an expensive laptop with you in case it gets damaged. So you pack an inexpensive dock for your phone and when you plug it in, it runs a desktop UI.
  • Reply 16 of 89
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post


    Might that get confusing with the Cortex A8 given that this "A8" is likely based on the Cortex A9?



    Not really. Anyone who knows what a Cortex A8 is, would know the difference in naming schemes.



    Most people who buy computers and electronics equipment don't know or care what the name of the processor is or even what type of processor it is.



    If it's an A8, they'll just assume it's a newer version of the A4.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post


    Not really. Anyone who knows what a Cortex A8 is, would know the difference in naming schemes.



    Most people who buy computers and electronics equipment don't know or care what the name of the processor is or even what type of processor it is.



    If it's an A8, they'll just assume it's a newer version of the A4.



    What happens when the average consumer compares an Android Phone with an A9 and an iPhone with an A8?
  • Reply 18 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Hopefully that's what it means. Dual 1GHz processors would make for a very smooth experience...



    Two single core Cortex-A8s would be better than one dual-core Cortex-A9 for battery efficiency and interoperability? I suppose Apple has the resources to make that work but that seems like a solution in search of a problem with the Cortex-A9 MPCore on the market.



    Quote:

    ...and if they can do something like the Atrix phone, that would be awesome.



    Think about when you go away on holiday. You don't want to have an expensive laptop with you in case it gets damaged. So you pack an inexpensive dock for your phone and when you plug it in, it runs a desktop UI.



    LOL I think you want this to happen as much as I want optical drives to go away. I think I’ll get my wish first. This may be common at some point but I think we’ll have to wait for some real consumer interest before Apple jumps in with Aqua UI on top of iOS. I think it will years before that is a viable consideration.
  • Reply 19 of 89
    Well let's just wait and see what the iPad 2 has and then we can be pretty sure of what the iPhone 5 will have. But it's looking more and more like an iPhone "4GS" to me....in which case if you are on VZ, you may actually regret having waited once iPhone 6 comes out ...you will have much more time left on your contact before you can buy a probable LTE phone with a redesign.



    I say get the iphone 4 now if you are on VZ.
  • Reply 20 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    You dream too small.



    The A4 is a variant of the Arm Cortex A8.

    A dual core A4 would be a variant of a dual core Arm Cortex A8 (do these exist?).





    The (Apple) A8 is likely a variant of a dual core Arm Cortex A9, the successor to the Arm Cortex A8.



    Why do I say this? The Playbook is going to be running a dual core Arm Cortex A9 and is expected to ship in the same timeframe as the iPad. I highly doubt something produced by RIM will outspec apple's products (look at BB phones). If RIM will be using an A9, it should be ready for Apple to use as well.



    I really wish Apple chose a different naming convention for their processors.



    I don't think the Cortex A8 can actually *do* dual core. Aren't all the dual core Arm chips based on the Cortex A9?



    The naming is confusing, but perhaps they are striking back at all the bloggers that spent the last few years calling the iPhone 3G, "2G" (for second gen), and the 3Gs, "3G."
Sign In or Register to comment.