LG: WP7 falls short as carriers tire of "too much Android"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

This is the type of crap that Daniel likes to write, if you are making a candy bar touch screen phone there is a very limited number of ways they can look

Or, he's right.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    LG should offer to make iPhones for Apple. It must be frustrating for them only making crap phones. They make many other products that are quite good.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    The WP7 launch sales are disappointing for Microsoft (I've seen stats that WP7 web presence is less than one half of one percent of mobile traffic) but not unexpected, and is a reflection of mind share, the immaturity of the platform and general distrust (or apathy) of users toward Microsoft in the mobile space rather than the quality of the OS itself.

I'm actually a prime candidate for a WP7 as I fit into the age group, business and social lifestyle that WP7 targets. I was also incredibly impressed with the phone and have no doubt that Microsoft have created a class leading mobile paradigm and the best base for a mobile phone on the market (bar none).

And yet, myself and my family are decked out with iPhones/iPads. Without a full mobile strategy from Microsoft (i.e. something to replace the iPad) and a proven commitment to updating WP7 to fill in the feature gaps as well as a commitment to supporting the platform for years to come I find Apple is still the best all round mobile solution.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

This is the type of crap that Daniel likes to write, if you are making a candy bar touch screen phone there is a very limited number of ways they can look

Mmmmmm... I can imagine had Apple's team not designed the iPhone, LG et al would have come up with something just like it, after all who needs Jonnathan Ives eh?
  • Reply 25 of 90
    iPhone 4 was revealed by Apple in June 2010 and went on sale six weeks later. Even Gizmodo didn't manage to steal one until April 2010.

Why does your graphic indicate a release a year earlier?
  • Reply 26 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'm actually a prime candidate for a WP7 as I fit into the age group, business and social lifestyle that WP7 targets. I was also incredibly impressed with the phone and have no doubt that Microsoft have created a class leading mobile paradigm and the best base for a mobile phone on the market (bar none).

What does this mean?
  • Reply 27 of 90
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I think that ui of wp7 is too advanced for low end and too boring for high end.

At the high end it is not app centric and wants you to just look at what it's tiles offer you, without even launch an app. this leaves little incentive to develop anything but games.

At the low end (I would assume technologically challenged, not financially challenged) the ui flips, spins and transitions too much to be called easy. I would rather explain my grandma how to click a phone button on android or iOS then have her scroll through tiles and wait for transitions on wp7.

In the end the platform is intended for same people as kin- early to mid teens where you care about pretty colors, transitions and Facebook pictures then apps and content.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

The problem anyone making a smartphone has is that the iPhone was awesome and still is. Between the 3G and 4 very little has actualy changed because there isn't really much they can or need to change. Which means there isn't anything big someone can release to beat Apple.

Not that I'd expect much more from people posting at "Apple Insider" but this kind of thinking is what always turned me off from Apple. There's so much arrogance that the iPhone is this perfect phone that nobody, not even God himself, could do better.

Truth is there is a lot more to do and others are starting to beat Apple to the punch. Apple was not the first with a front facing camera...they followed. Other phones on other carriers do not drop calls...the iPhone does (and please don't argue otherwise because you know it does). iOS still has a lot to be desired on its notification system. Apple doesn't support the real time multitasking things like widgets. This one usually sparks an immediate "it doesn't need them" but Android's implementation of it certainly makes iOS look like yesterday's tech. Today iOS is nothing more than an application launcher. Very limited multitasking, etc.

Now I'm not saying iOS is a bad OS. But I do think there will always be room for improvement and the competition is showing how that can be done (finally!!) which is good for all. NFC is going to be the next big thing for smart phones as they replace your wallet. The competition already has phones out with it as this starts to ramp up. iPhone does not have it.

The argument of too many Android phones is not valid either. Are there too many variations of PCs? Does having too many models to choose from at best buy confuse the public? No. And neither does having a choice of what you want in a phone either. Apple fans would have you believe that if there is more than one model to choose from that the public is so stupid they get confused. Last I checked, most people do their homework and are quite capable of picking out a smart phone. Just that more pick Android now. I know its a hard concept for the Apple camp to ingest because there's only been one choice offered from Apple, but choice rocks. Not everyone follows the same beat. Not everyone is like Apple's 1984 commercial listening to one person's word (in this case, that is now Steve Job's himself).

Choice is good. Competition is good. I only wish Apple fans would be able to see that.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Could DED be banned from writing for AppleInsider? Please. He's a disgrace to this website with his immature fanboy-ness. Apple may make great products, but they are not the center of the universe no matter how much the author wants us to believe. Get over it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

I could not agree more. He is trashing this site with his super biased garbage. I come to this site less and less, and I know exactly when he writes something just from the title.

Looks like DED hit some very raw nerves. Keep up the good work and pay no attention to the transparently dishonest astroturfers.

Oh, and bettie, based on your posting rate, you come here more and more, mostly just to complain about articles that don't cast your employer's products in a favorable light. You aren't fooling anyone.

The shills and astroturfers around here are getting worse than the trolls.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MicroNix View Post

Not that I'd expect much more from people posting at "Apple Insider" but this kind of thinking is what always turned me off from Apple. There's so much arrogance that the iPhone is this perfect phone that nobody, not even God himself, could do better.

Truth is there is a lot more to do and others are starting to beat Apple to the punch. Apple was not the first with a front facing camera...they followed. ...

The same old tired arguments of, "someone else had feature x." Sure, but it didn't work well, no one used it, and Apple got it right. Yeah, same answer to each old tired argument because it's true, which is why the iPhone is the best selling phone and will only sell even better in the future.

Quote:

Now I'm not saying iOS is a bad OS. But I do think there will always be room for improvement and the competition is showing how that can be done (finally!!) which is good for all. ....

No one thinks there isn't room for improvement, but I don't think the competition is showing the way, nor will Apple be following them.

Quote:

The argument of too many Android phones is not valid either. Are there too many variations of PCs? Does having too many models to choose from at best buy confuse the public? No. ...

Choice is good. Competition is good. I only wish Apple fans would be able to see that.

That last sentence was pretty funny. Do you do stand-up?

To correctly answer your questions, in order:

* Yes

* Yes

And the same issue does apply to phones. Obviously, you haven't done your research on the psychology of choice.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    Quote:

Could DED be banned from writing for AppleInsider? Please. He's a disgrace to this website with his immature fanboy-ness. Apple may make great products, but they are not the center of the universe no matter how much the author wants us to believe. Get over it.

Shh!! He can hear you...you'll hurt his feelings
  • Reply 32 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The same old tired arguments of, "someone else had feature x." Sure, but it didn't work well, no one used it, and Apple got it right. Yeah, same answer to each old tired argument because it's true, which is why the iPhone is the best selling phone and will only sell even better in the future.

How is it possible that Apple got the front facing camera right? What is there exactly to get right? It's a CAMERA. It doesn't to anything else that the others didn't. Except for a glorified name.

I tell you, the fanboys on this website...
  • Reply 33 of 90
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I think of WP7 as Android redone with a better basic internal design, and no app fragmentation. I could see it replacing Android years from now as the dominant 2nd tier phone, with Apple still being on top. Android will collapse in the long run because, though geeks love it, mom & pop find it hard to use and app fragmentation is a terminal illness to a platform.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

How is it possible that Apple got the front facing camera right? What is there exactly to get right? It's a CAMERA. It doesn't to anything else that the others didn't. Except for a glorified name.

I tell you, the fanboys on this website...

That?s the difference between you and other mypoic people like you. You think adding the HW and some lose definition software to tie into that HW is all that?s needed. You never take into account usability, and by extension the enjoyment in using that feature.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I think of WP7 as Android redone with a better basic internal design, and no app fragmentation. I could see it replacing Android years from now as the dominant 2nd tier phone, with Apple still being on top. Android will collapse in the long run because, though geeks love it, mom & pop find it hard to use and app fragmentation is a terminal illness to a platform.

That?s how I think it?ll mostly likely fall at this point. iOS-based phones at the top taking the largest percentage of profits. I see Apple increasing their profit in the handset market but after a few years having that percentage being chipped at even though their profit still increasing.

Below that I see the middle-tier devices. At this point I see WP7 likely taking that segment at the expense of Android, BB OS and WeBOS. RiM and HP haven?t really shown they can increase their market share so there future at this point is questionable. Hopefully RiM and HP can figure it out before it?s too late.

At the bottom I see Android taking over the largest segment of the market, even outstripping Symbian?s OS marketshare. Eventually even cheap phones will have Android and will be feature phones that will have more features and capabilities than smartphones of yore.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Quote:

DED is far from unbiased but I really appreciate the depth of his treatments. I can understand being rubbed the wrong way by his tone, but at the end ofthe day I always find some things of interest in his analysis and synthesis.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Or, he's right.

... though he obviously isn't.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

LG should offer to make iPhones for Apple. It must be frustrating for them only making crap phones. They make many other products that are quite good.

Lawn mowers, alarm clocks, cheap deck furniture, venetian blinds, dog collars, milkshake machines, transmissions for the chevy Volt, t-shirts, steam locomotives for Pakistan, cigarette lighters, manual snow shovels; truly Lotsa Garbage, Low Grade stuff, hardly "Life's Good."

Yes, I know that LG is an Apple supplier but Apple has placed strict QC on those components.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    Good to see that the ultimate Wanker daharder is back !

"Each of my family has 3 each" this quote will live for EVER.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

No surprises here really. Windows7 literally was "doomed" to begin with. Ballmer is trying to start the race literally years after Apple kickstarted it back in 2007. Their marketing ads are a disappointment to say the least.

The android system is a perfect example of what happens where there are too many players in a given team. Everyone wants a shot, but no one gets any serious time on the field. The market is literally dumping so many Android phones out there that it is in essence confusing Joe-consumer with an onslaught of choice, different configurations, and all of it is a mess. Factor in the cheap-plastic, flimsy construction and it's back to the same self-destructive cycle.

And then there's the iPhone. One phone, looking really nice by itself. Clean, simple, built like a tank, and just waiting for you.

No contest. Let the rest of the folks battle for the bottom of the barrel. It's very sad actually.

Wow, this is really, really wrong. Actually it describes how Windows came to dominate the world of computers. And the parallels are uncanny... Apple was first, and dominant and more advanced, and then Windows won out in the long run, because everyone was able to roll their own, often cheap and "plasticky", but hey, it won HUGE. Exactly the same is looking to happen here - at least so far. Apple was first with the iPhone. More advanced. Dominant. But then explosion - Android comes on and grows like gangbusters and is already overtaking the iPhone in market share. Who knows how this will go from here, but man, is it ever wrong to say what you said... the exact opposite is true.