Apple's iPhone 5 a GSM-CDMA world phone, iPad 2 to have SD card slot - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Unless Apple worked out some amazing deal with Qualcomm they will be paying more for licensing on the CDMA model than the GSM/UMTS model. If you make that a single model and only charge a single fee that is equal to the CDMA model Apple will pay a lot more money to Qualcomm for 10s of millions of iPhones and iPads that will never, ever be on a CDMA network.

That thought crossed my mind too. Would Qualcomm give Apple a break on the licensing fees in order to sell a huge number of units and advance the relationship? Even if not, Apple will probably only be making devices with CDMA for a few years anyway, and the cost may be justified by the number of customers they can introduce (and addict) to their products, before most of the world unites on LTE.
  • Reply 22 of 117
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I doubt Apple will change the external design around too much. It, however, has to do a significant internal design to accommodate the one phone on many networks philosophy which I totally believe Apple will do. The internal design change might cause Apple to have to change the external case somewhat. Apple might even change the glass enclosure, as some people report the enclosure breaks more easily (don't know if it is true or not).

Then again when Apple was trying to increase Macs sales in a limited market (e.g. when Apple was still trying to turn things around) one way it would accomplish that is to significantly change the external design to entice new buyers from the people who already had Macs. Apple doesn't change the Mac external designs around too much currently because it hasn't had to do so. It is significantly increasing sales every year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I find this part extremely hard to believe and pretty much bad news if true.

• Reply 23 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

That thought crossed my mind too. Would Qualcomm give Apple a break on the licensing fees in order to sell a huge number of units and advance the relationship? Even if not, Apple will probably only be making devices with CDMA for a few years anyway, and the cost may be justified by the number of customers they can introduce (and addict) to their products, before most of the world unites on LTE.

I expect CDMA/EVDO chips in phones to outlast GSM chips in smartphones. Remember, CDMA is used for the voice and control channel so even after LTE has saturated markets it may still only be used for data, especially considering how much more efficient the older techs are on power usage.

GSM, on the other hand, isn?t needed if your network is completely UMTS. Just look at S. Korea. They are loving the iPhone over there and they have absolutely no GSM to fall back on. Their ?2G? is CDMA which the current iPhone does not support.

I?m guessing that we?ll have a ?world mode? iPhone in a couple years, but we?ll know it?s coming because it will become standard on most smartphones first. This would indicate small, power efficient and cost effective chips and licensing, thus why I would then expect Apple to do it across their entire line.
  • Reply 24 of 117
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    This flies in the face of the references just found inside iOS 4.3. Two iPhones are listed, most likely a GSM 3G model and a CDMA 3G model and three iPads are listed, most likely one WiFi, one GSM 3G and one CDMA 3G. I really think the iPhone 5 will be to the iPhone 4 what the iPhone 3Gs was to the iPhone 3G. In other words a speed bump for the most part. I doubt we'll see a new design until they are ready for 4G which probably won't be until 2012. Same goes for the iPad. Yes, we'll get the cameras but no "retina" display or SD card slot.
  • Reply 25 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I find this part extremely hard to believe and pretty much bad news if true.

Why would it be 'bad news'?

What do you know about Apple's approach to design and consumer preferences that Apple does not?

Please elucidate.
  • Reply 26 of 117
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Let me reshuffle these predictions to make it right.

1. Easy, apple seems to be giving a lot of love to sd cards so it's possible this would make it to iPad.

2. A5 - iPad 2 exclusive for now.

3. Resolution - pixel 1.5 to make it easier on developers.

4. iPhone 5 will instead be iPhone 4D - d for dual carrier. A bit more ram, white color, bumper will be glued to the phone to save people some trouble.

What iPhone 4d lacks in new hardware features it will make up with some awesome improvements in performance and usability of iOS 4.5.
  • Reply 27 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

How can they have a total redesign ready so quickly? Unless "total redesign" does not refer to a new industrial design, but just the new CPU, GPU and comms chip, which I suppose could fairly be called a total internal redesign.

I would think they would have several designs 'competing' internally, so there will be other designs they can call on.

I agree that generally 2 years on one "look" makes more sense, but they may have found that they can get better antenna results with a different design. (My wife's iPhone 4 is on Telstra in Australia and performs brilliantly, but others I know on our other 2 networks are having lots of problems. Perhaps 850Mhz is the difference, or perhaps the Telstra network with more towers simply works better.)
  • Reply 28 of 117
    I don't get this.... now they are saying the A4 processor in the AppleTV2 can't handle 1080P ??? I thought it was a limitation they self imposed because streaming wasn't up to 1080p speeds at the moment... So now this person is saying it's the processor that can't handle it?? WTF... better not be true i'm not buying another one just for that. Personally I find all these assertions to be highly unlikely aside from the 2 cams in the iPad which we all know is definitely got to happen, maybe the SD card too.
  • Reply 29 of 117
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Sure they would if there is something out there that's better. The case design was great but something came along that was better. Ya know... innovation.

I suppose... but that will have to be some serious salesmanship. He'll effectively be declaring the iPhone4 case design dead, worthless and no good, and the new thing pure awesomeness. I dunno, I think this gets to be a credibility issue at some point, maybe soon.

The criticisms on the 'failure' of the iPhone4 case design will then only intensify, not go away.
  • Reply 30 of 117
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Let me reshuffle these predictions to make it right.

2. A5 - iPad 2 exclusive for now.

I don't think so... if Apple really does have an A5 as described here in the works, ready to go, then its safe to assume all of the A4 devices that currently use it will get the refresh, probably this year at each device's normal refresh time.

And why not? Why support and make both the old processor and the new one if it truly is as inexpensive as it would seem? I mean if they put an A5 in the AppleTV and can still keep it at $99, then this really is the processor for the entire line.
  • Reply 31 of 117
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Wishful thinking. Those features are what we'd all like to see, but historically Apple (after initial release of a device that changes the world) only introduces the minimum amount of features to placate customers, minimally compete with other products, and to maximize margins.
  • Reply 32 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I doubt Apple will change the external design around too much. It, however, has to do a significant internal design to accommodate the one phone on many networks philosophy which I totally believe Apple will do. The internal design change might cause Apple to have to change the external case somewhat. Apple might even change the glass enclosure, as some people report the enclosure breaks more easily (don't know if it is true or not).

Then again when Apple was trying to increase Macs sales in a limited market (e.g. when Apple was still trying to turn things around) one way it would accomplish that is to significantly change the external design to entice new buyers from the people who already had Macs. Apple doesn't change the Mac external designs around too much currently because it hasn't had to do so. It is significantly increasing sales every year.

Maybe they stumbled upon a "good" design...
  • Reply 33 of 117
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

How can they have a total redesign ready so quickly? Unless "total redesign" does not refer to a new industrial design, but just the new CPU, GPU and comms chip, which I suppose could fairly be called a total internal redesign.

The most minor one was the move to the 3G, but the 3GS and iPhone 4 where each major revisions. As it is iPhone 5 may very well end up being a supplemental model. That is Iphone 4 becomes the low end machine and is marketed and developed from where it is now while iPhone 5 gets the bleeding edge development.

You see the big problem is that Apple basically has but one design for a cell phone. The guts may be a bit different but the externals really haven't changed that much. if you accept that Apple needs more than one model to be successful then you can also accept that iPhone 5 might re imagine what a cell phone can be. Just as Apple has multiple iPods to choose form to fit certain users so will it have multiple iPhones to choose from.
  • Reply 34 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Good to know Apple is going to keep pace with the hardware specs announced for this year's devices.

Now THAT is a backhanded compliment if I ever saw one :-)
  • Reply 35 of 117
    I wonder how long will keep playing this exhausting game and if they will ever run out of innovation?
  • Reply 36 of 117
    My sources tell me both the phone and ipad will have a little plastic trackball.

By the way, is the guy who lost the iphone 4 testing one?
  • Reply 37 of 117
    I will buy an iPad when it has USB.
  • Reply 38 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

My sources tell me both the phone and ipad will have a little plastic trackball.

My sources tell me both the phone and ipad will require a stylus.
  • Reply 39 of 117
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If you are thinking of having an iPhone on Verizon, wait a few months to see how the network handles the new iPhone 4 traffic then buy an iPhone 5 instead this summer. Skip the iPhone 4 entirely.
  • Reply 40 of 117
    PICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NCF!!!!!!!!!!

I have heard rumors about PICO projector on Ipad 2 and Iphone 5.

One sure thing is- something called NCF( Near Communication frequency) chips into iphone and ipad to play your movie from those devices on tv by just proximate location of device.

Iphone will work as for payments on gas stations, stores, Printing boarding pass, emails, opening locks, synching to your computer-Just by Waving the phone within 4 centimeters.

One sure bet is Apple buying in to TIktok design concept(chicago) and making wearable devices with solar cells.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...ting-engineer/