Steve Jobs went to Switzerland for cancer treatment in 2009 - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I understand that Steve is the figurehead for Apple, but this constant prying into his personal affairs is borderline creepy to me.

There are AppleInsider members who have posted in this thread that will celebrate Jobs's death and would gladly piss on his grave if they knew the location. Yes. there are those kinds of people in this world and some of them infest this site on a regular basis.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

if most of apple's shareholders hold this view, i do think they have the very right to dump apple's stock, and they should do this or they should have not gotten into apple's bandwagon to push the stock this high.

No, that's not how it works. Shareholders are entitled to information which can materially effect their investments. How much of a CEO's medical situation is covered by this right to know is a matter of debate, but to say that public companies have a right to create information black holes is just not correct. One of the reasons these rumors get started is because of the lack of information provided by Apple. They create mysteries and someone is going to try to solve it.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 24 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Cause it sounds like his hour has come.

Did you just get out of prison? I had hoped you were dead since we hadn't heard from you for six months or so.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

While there is an obligation for the Board to provide information that materially affects the value of a company's stock, there are also regulations that protect the privacy of individuals.

In 2009 many shareholders tried to press the issue with the SEC, but to the best of my knowledge no action came of it.

So until someone is able to successfully sue Apple for concealing this information, it appears that doing so does not violate any existing regulation.

True, as far as it goes -- but Apple's lack of communications on this issue only feeds the rumor beast. They'd do better to be less opaque.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

So much for Steve's wish to have his privacy respected....

Where is that "trustworthy contributor" from? Israel?
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, so cancer treatment in aught nine.

Would he have been given the liver if it was still present in 2010?

Sounds to me like he might have had the tumour area irradiated previous to having the surgery to ensure it wouldn't spread which is a smart thing to do if that's the case and would make it even *less* likely that he is suffering a significant relapse of the cancer.

Of course most people will read this as "He's dying" and "OMFG! more secrets!"

(because Apple is evil of course)
  • Reply 28 of 79
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

he should be put in a memorial in washington DC for future generations after his eventuality.

Smithsonian? Well at least his brain or his liver.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Quote:

Thats a very serious statement. Jobs should just leave Apple quit the Buddhism give his heart to Yeshua HaMaschiach and enjoy his family, and reflect on all his great work at Apple & pixar. Cause it sounds like his hour has come

How about He & Apple live up to there comments and generously lower the price on the core2duo products.

In essence, you want him to believe in a Fantasy and give you a discount. Find another hobby.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

I understand that Steve is the figurehead for Apple, but this constant prying into his personal affairs is borderline creepy to me.

Agreed.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:

... Jobs should just leave Apple quit the Buddhism give his heart to Yeshua HaMaschiach ...

Right. Because when you are sick, then is the time to quit doing anything constructive (Buhdism, Yoga, his excellent diet, etc.) and dive into fantasy mysticism in the hope for a cure.

If I remember correctly you're also the one that suggested last time he was sick, that all he needed was a good steak or hamburger (which would have pretty much killed him at the time if he decided to take your advice).
  • Reply 32 of 79
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

There are AppleInsider members who have posted in this thread that will celebrate Jobs's death and would gladly piss on his grave if they knew the location. Yes. there are those kinds of people in this world and some of them infest this site on a regular basis.

And on the other end of the spectrum there are AppleInsider members that think of him as the Kwisatz Haderach.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Apple shareholders have a right to hold or sell their stock based on what information they have. They don't have a right to "more information" than is required by law. Are you suggesting that every CEO in America ought to be required by law to release a medical status update each day to let us know about the mole they had removed or that they had an unpleasant bowel movement (or not)?

Maybe they should all be required by law to post on Twitter endless personal minutia.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Not true. Under HIPAA, a person's health information is strictly private. An employer can't be forced to reveal sensitive health information. Telling Apple's Board of Director of his intended absence would be enough.

Further, under the Family Medical Leave Act Jobs also would be entitled to time off.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hogan View Post

As CEO of Apple, he is beholden to Apple shareholders. He works for us. He remains CEO of Apple. Shareholders have a right to know more information. It's material. If Steve resigned, then his health and what he does as private citizen is entirely his matter, and of no consequence. Apple's board is failing to represent Apple shareholders.

• Reply 35 of 79
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Not true. Under HIPAA, a person's health information is strictly private. An employer can't be forced to reveal sensitive health information. Telling Apple's Board of Director of his intended absence would be enough.

Further, under the Family Medical Leave Act Jobs also would be entitled to time off.

This indeed. Some of us work in health care.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

The world, and especially the tech world, would be a much less interesting place without Steve kicking around.

even though i don't like some of his business dealings/attitudes...i agree. i truly hope he isn't fading away.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:

As CEO of Apple, he is beholden to Apple shareholders.

Absolutely true.

Quote:

... He works for us.

100% false.

Availing yourself of the opportunity to invest in a company does not equate to you "owning" or "running" that company. In fact no company could even operate if the shareholders were actually "in charge" in any realistic sense.

You have no control, nor should you have. You're only decision is whether you want to keep supporting Apple or not. If the answer is no, then invest elsewhere.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Quote:

I agree but with todays media it't next to impossible to keep anything private. Also with the market perception is reality. If the market or anyone else for that matter decides they are going to focus on the health of Steve Jobs rather then earnings the stock is going to continue to drop.

Any good or bad news about SJ could cause a knee jerk reaction. Also like several others here have stated I am not so sure Cook breeds confidence that Apple can do just fine if something bad were to happen to Jobs.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Thank you. I was about to post about HIPAA myself. I'm sick of hearing the words "shareholders" and "entitled" being thrown around in the same sentence. Steve has the right to privacy, nor does he need to share his health information with the public. Leave him be.

Besides, there are plenty of capable people at Apple, and they will continue to ensure Apple's success during Steve's absence.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

As CEO of Apple, he is beholden to Apple shareholders. He works for us.

No, he works for Apple, not the shareholders. If he worked for the shareholders, Apple wouldn't be what it is today!