Apple's Tim Cook profiled as "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley"

Comments

• Reply 101 of 335
    I might be wrong in this, but could this simply be about a headline which draws more comments, talk and speculation then the CEO of Google changing? More page impressions and all that? Perhaps Appleinsider thinks, we do normal stuff but also every now and again some impression creating thingy just for extra hits? Possibly?
  • Reply 102 of 335
    Big effing deal. Comments much more interesting than the story.
  • Reply 103 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by armaster73 View Post

If this was a story about the most powerful minority or female CEO in the US, everyone would be proud that Apple was getting this attention. (How many stories did we hear about Carly Fiorina when she took over at HP?)

This is why this story is powerful and needed, especially to many young gay kids who need good role models. Seeing one of the most successful companies have a gay man treated as an equal by Steve Jobs and the rest of the executive team is a powerful message. It also continues to breakdown stereotypes.

My only hope is he is out and this didn't 'out' him to the world against his wishes.

I think that is the major issue -- are they outing him against his wishes.

If they are, then your prior point about "young gay kids needing good role models" is put in jeopardy.

How can you be a role model if you are gay and not out?

If you are gay and choose not to be out, will success in your area of endeavor, subject you to being outed against your wishes.

I am 71 years old. I have seen prejudices and stereotypes of all kinds -- some demonstrated by society, friends and family.

I admit I have my own set of prejudices.

During those 71 years I have seen many "accepted prejudices" mitigated if not resolved.

Sometimes, it takes a bold public stance by a group or individual to bring attention to the issue.

Other times it takes an "in-your-face" attitude.

Still, other times, thoughtful discussion is required.

Sometimes, doing nothing (or little steps) while society catches up -- is in order.

Hopefully, someday, society will cast off its prejudices and those that practice them will be relegated to the fringes.

But, we must never lose respect for the individual and his wishes.

IMO, AI and DED have violated that respect by publishing this article.
  • Reply 104 of 335
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    What the hell? This is supposed to be an Apple fansite and they have a great big headline calling one of the execs "gay."
  • Reply 105 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Hopefully this will repel teabagger losers away from Apple and enhance the community even more.

In which case Mac Daily News will be a ghost town today.
  • Reply 106 of 335
    This article and many of ignorant comments (that I'm sure the writers would dismiss as jokes) are very disappointing. There is no honor or value here. Whether a person is gay or not is only meaningful to those who are naively "offended". I was hoping sites like AI would be above stirring hate.
  • Reply 107 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

This is actually the most relevant post in this entire topic if you ask me.

I have a few gay friends, and personally I feel like a gay CEO should be a total non-issue. However, many people (and countries) don't see it that way. In big parts of the world, homophily is still a very big taboo.

And many of those areas where it's taboo are important growth markets for Apple.

I wonder how this will affect Apple's growth in areas such as China and the Middle East. I really cannot imagine those Saudi oil sheikhs buying $2000 laptops from a company that has a "sinfull" CEO. Maybe they'll even ban Apple products... I really hope I'm wrong though, as to me, Tim Cook seems like an extremely capable guy that would be a very worthy successor for Steve Jobs, and I wish him all the best in running this company.

And I, together with many of the people here, hope that one day being gay will be a complete non-issue all over the world.

Funny you stated exactly what I was thinking: someone is taking... uh... ya... very low-blows... trying to bring down Apple's growth.

I can foresee kids getting beat up for liking their "fag-phone". This is just pathetic, as well as the story being regurgitated and thrown up here at AI, of all places. Link-Bait sucks!
  • Reply 108 of 335
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Just because it wasn't slanderous doesn't mean it wasn't potentially embarrassing. There is such a thing as being concerned for a person's right to privacy.

Sure, but profiling a person and simply stating that they are gay is not and should not be considered embarrassing or an invasion of his privacy..

Now, if they were slandering him for being gay, and going on about details of his sex life and sexual partners, then yes, I'd consider that an invasion of privacy.. Being gay is a big part of who a person is, and without being invasive or going into details, this article listed plenty of other things about his life... He is dedicated, he is a workaholic, he is a fitness nut, and yes, he also happens to be gay.. big deal..
  • Reply 109 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that is the major issue -- are they outing him against his wishes.

If they are, then your prior point about "young gay kids needing good role models" is put in jeopardy.

How can you be a role model if you are gay and not out?

If you are gay and choose not to be out, will success in your area of endeavor, subject you to being outed against your wishes.

I am 71 years old. I have seen prejudices and stereotypes of all kinds -- some demonstrated by society, friends and family.

I admit I have my own set of prejudices.

During those 71 years I have seen many "accepted prejudices" mitigated if not resolved.

Sometimes, it takes a bold public stance by a group or individual to bring attention to the issue.

Other times it takes an "in-your-face" attitude.

Still, other times, thoughtful discussion is required.

Sometimes, doing nothing (or little steps) while society catches up -- is in order.

Hopefully, someday, society will cast off its prejudices and those that practice them will be relegated to the fringes.

But, we must never lose respect for the individual and his wishes.

IMO, AI and DED have violated that respect by publishing this article.

As always DA to the rescue! +100 to infinity!

Read it again all you close-minded freaks! Pointing at you Wizard69 & Friends with your pseudo-science definition crap!
  • Reply 110 of 335
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Your idea of "offensive" might be different if the story was about you, no?

Absolutely not. I don't consider there to be anything even remotely 'offensive' about being gay.
  • Reply 111 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

What a horrible article. Yes I applaud Apple for not having any prejudice's against any person's sexuality, but that is how it should be.

A person's sexuality is their personal life and has nothing to do with what they can / cannot achieve in working life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

In some way I agree ? but you see we are for the most part invisible. Let's say that you are gay and want to be a top footballer. You look to see what other footballers there are who you know are gay. How many do you find. 0. In the world. What is the conclusion? There are NO gay footballers. One, Justin Fashanu is still, 13 years on, the only professional footballer ever to have come out whilst he was still playing. He later committed suicide. Almost every single sports person we know to be gay came out after they left the sport with Gareth Jones as one of the very few exceptions. Why is this? Although being gay has no effect on whether you are or aren't able to play it could crush your spirit. Sitting in the changing rooms listening to homophobic abuse, hearing it shouted from the terraces at football matches and providing no role models. Imagine how it would feel if you were a straight sportsperson and every single footballer you knew of was gay? How would you feel?

I emphasized the last few sentences because they really moved me.

I like to think that I can put myself in someone else's shoes -- and look at the world from his perspective.

I don't think I would even imagine the situation you presented.

How would I feel?

What would I do?

Questions to ponder...
  • Reply 112 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Seriously. This is gossip. And AI is reporting on gossip. Especially something as fiercely personal as this. I'd say it was an inappropriate and irresponsible choice to publish this

I am not typically the overly politically correct type, but I agree with this. If he isn't out yet, it is kind of a poor decision to talk about it and discuss the situation. Bad move AI
  • Reply 113 of 335
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    I see valleywag is a Gawker Media site, the same folks who give us Gizmodo. They definitely have shown they have an axe to grind with Apple. I hope Tim Cook was out already if he is indeed gay. If Gawker waited until a time like this in his professional life to out him publicly then they are dirt. Doesn't matter to me at all if Tim Cook is gay or not. If the Apple Insider summary of his life is accurate he sounds like a pretty decent guy, the kind of guy you'd want to have running Apple.
  • Reply 114 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Sure, but profiling a person and simply stating that they are gay is not and should not be considered embarrassing or an invasion of his privacy..

Now, if they were slandering him for being gay, and going on about details of his sex life and sexual partners, then yes, I'd consider that an invasion of privacy.. Being gay is a big part of who a person is, and without being invasive or going into details, this article listed plenty of other things about his life... He is dedicated, he is a workaholic, he is a fitness nut, and yes, he also happens to be gay.. big deal..

It IS a BIG deal because as you can see on this thread, there are people that will hold being gay openly or privately, against the person and against the company and his/her achievements. That's just the way it unfortunately "still" is.

For those that have "lost a little love for Apple", may I suggest you just quit consuming anything entertainment wise... at all. No TV, music, movies, newspapers, magazines... nada. Oh... and don't forget to go naked everywhere, unless you made your clothes and shoes yourself.

Why? Because the entertainment, publishing, ad agency, and fashion business creates darn near nothing without having at least 1 (most times many more) extremely talented gay designers behind the scenes.

I'm not going to state my sexual preference one way or the other, but I've been involved in all of the businesses above for 30+ years, and ya know what? Those I most enjoy working with are talented, hardworking, dedicated, individuals. Many of the very best among those individuals happen to be gay. The bad part is that very often those individuals to be deemed the best for the next rung up on the ladder, or to be the front-facing person of the company... don't get the chance due to investors or owners being afraid of the "gay" backlash.

Is that bias justified? I would say most definitely: no. But just look at the problems this thread has already dredged up out of the "Imbecile Gutter of Thought".

"Those that supposedly have balls, just don't know how to use them when it counts".

Leave it to SJ to know how to get it right though. Is he really the only visionary business leader on earth? Really? How demoralizing.
  • Reply 115 of 335
    I am ashamed that I spent two minutes of my life reading this article.

AI -- get your act together or you're off my bookmarks and RSS feed.
  • Reply 116 of 335
    Quote:

Sitting in the changing rooms listening to homophobic abuse, hearing it shouted from the terraces at football matches and providing no role models. Imagine how it would feel if you were a straight sportsperson and every single footballer you knew of was gay? How would you feel?

@Dick - it's most surely an experience, I can tell ya. Imagine being made fun of, and having to prove your personal talent in a room full of very talented gay people. My life story... but I would have it NO OTHER WAY! Made me not only a better designer, but a better person, and able to shrug that "fly-over-country" jock attitude I landed in LA with, mighty fast!
  • Reply 117 of 335
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    OMG, sell the stock and run for the hills. This is 2011 - is this necessary as a story? Does it impact the fact I dumped my iPhone because I despised ATT? Get passed it, will you.
  • Reply 118 of 335
    So, let me get this right, Daniel Eran Dilger: You wrote an article that's based on tabloid gossip about Tim Cook, and then you verified the veracity of that gossip by including everything that you knew would support that gossip, stopping short of outright confirming that gossip but clearly indicating that you know the gossip to be true.

What kind of human being are you?

I bet you wrote this article thinking that you were doing something good, not realizing that you were doing something harmful to another person. Your priorities are not what you think they are. What you've done is truly despicable, and you yourself have my contempt.

If today you do not issue a public and personal apology to Tim Cook, this will be the last day that I read Apple Insider.
  • Reply 119 of 335
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Change the name of the site to Apple OUTsider. C'mon guys, slow news day? Even if it's true it's not worth spreading. If he is gay, I hope he comes out professionally, but it should be on his terms.

Do you have Perez Hilton writing articles now?
  • Reply 120 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Gay or not, he seems to know how to lead the team troops when Steve is unavailable. I am amazed that gender, race and sexual orientation are even an issue when assessing someone's ability to lead a company. People should be considered on their merits.

Personally I consider this a non-issue. What does Cook's sexual orientation have any relevance to the running of Apple?