[american] football

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Golf is so exciting to watch! Especially the 2000 PGA with Tiger and Bob May in that playoff. Good stuff.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Golf is so exciting to watch! Especially the 2000 PGA with Tiger and Bob May in that playoff. Good stuff. </strong><hr></blockquote>

exilerating...
  • Reply 43 of 54
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Keep ArrrrCeeee!

Your best shot at beating Baylor this year isn't so secret, it's that skinny chunk of talent named Reggie McNeal. He's already talking smack about replacing Farris 5 games into the season, poetic justice for you Aggies that have given us so much hell about the Simms/Applewhite controversy.

McNeal: "I can start by the 5th or 6th game."

McNeal: (when asked if he considered UT) "No... I didn't like the way they treated Major Applewhite."

So he doesn't like it when hyped up youngsters replace established starters? Wonderful Aggie logic on his part! He'll fit right in, whoooop!

He was amazing (during the 1st half before he got tired) in the HS All-Star game Wednesday, he's got talent out the ears. You guys aren't going to do jack anyway on offense I say start him and see if he can do something.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    chweave1chweave1 Posts: 164member
    So... How do all of you college football fans out there feel about the changes to the BCS that are being made for this coming season. For info check out this article. It's a little VT centric, but you'll get the point.

<a href="http://www.techsideline.com/columns/2002/stewart44.htm"; target="_blank">VT article about the BCS system</a>
  • Reply 45 of 54
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by running with scissors:

<strong>it's about that time again and i personally can't wait. pro and college, who's going to be kicking who's ass on the grid iron this year? let the pre-season predictions begin.</strong><hr></blockquote>

NY Giants! (I hope...)

I miss the days of L.T., Carson, Van-Pelt, Simms, and the other great players of the 80's.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    theres a difference here. you see, farris SUCKS!!! noone likes him here. and people WANT someone who has potential. the difference between these situations is that applewhite was actually good, and was established as a star. farris never had that. he had a couple decent games, but most of the time he just choked. i saw every game of his career, and less than a quarter of those were good enuff fer a high school game, let alone a college team of a school our size. really, i hope the new kid kicks him out w/in 5 games. or at least talking about it will wake farris up and he'll actually play half decent.

i can do better than that sh*thead farris. bah, get him to go back to playing baseball or somethin...

he's like 30 years old by now...

past his prime...

ugh...
  • Reply 47 of 54
    I am conflicted about the BCS in the first place. I think it's better than the somewhat arbitrary system we had before but it's still not as clear as a playoff system. But a playoff systems seems so... NFL. And college football is exponentially better than the NFL so that's a comparison I do not want by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think completely eliminating margin of victory is smart. I think it should be less important than it was, to prevent teams with weak schedules from killing patsies instead of squeaking by tough teams. I think whatever importance you take away from margin of victory you need to add to strength of schedule to give good teams incentive to play other good teams.

Have you seen Baylor's (the BigXII's patsy) schedule? It's absolutely sick and filled with big teams. But the big teams play patsies like Baylor their entire non-conference schedule.

The BCS is a great idea being poorly executed. It's going through some harsh growing pains, I hope it works out to be fair.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>theres a difference here. you see, farris SUCKS!!! noone likes him here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Two years ago Farris was THE SAVIOR.

And he was good before that coaching staff got hold of him. A&M: Where Quarterbacks Go To Die

[quote]<strong>really, i hope the new kid kicks him out w/in 5 games. or at least talking about it will wake farris up and he'll actually play half decent.

i can do better than that sh*thead farris. bah, get him to go back to playing baseball or somethin...

he's like 30 years old by now...

past his prime...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Farris was doing pretty good. He's had to shuffle through a few different systems and I'm surprised he's put up with it all.

The big problem is that red asses refuse to accept that their team needs a major overhaul and will have to suffer through some mediocrity for a while to get back. First step is getting a real OC in there and getting ArrrrCeeee to keep the hell away from the offense and stick to his beloved Wrecking Crew.

---

Simms is/was a better quarterback than Applewhite, period.

Also, you never heard/will hear Simms talking smack about Applewhite or vice versa. Those two handled that situation with (ugh, I hate using this word) class.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    [quote]Simms is/was a better quarterback than Applewhite, period. <hr></blockquote>

i don't see that. simms has the potential to be better than applewhite and has shown some great moments, but he has not delivered the kind of performance in big game situations to have warranted being a starter over applewhite.

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: running with scissors ]</p>
  • Reply 50 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by running with scissors:

<strong>i don't see that. simms has the potential to be better than applewhite and has shown some great moments, but he has not delivered the kind of performance in big game situations to have warrented being a starter over applewhite.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll have no criticism of a QB situation from an OU fan.

"Hybl is better than Heupel!"

"No, wait, Hybl sucks, White is God!"

"Get back out there White, that's not a hyperextended knee you're just a wuss!"

Simms doesn't lose to bad teams (*ahem*OkieSt.*ahem*), Applewhite did.

Teams Applewhite has lost to:

NC State

Kansas State

Nebraska

Texas A&M

Arkansas

Stanford

Teams Simms has lost to:

Oklahoma (2)

Colorado

Oregon
  • Reply 51 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>

I'll have no criticism of a QB situation from an OU fan.

"Hybl is better than Heupel!"

"No, wait, Hybl sucks, White is God!"

"Get back out there White, that's not a hyperextended knee you're just a wuss!"

Simms doesn't lose to bad teams (*ahem*OkieSt.*ahem*), Applewhite did.

Teams Applewhite has lost to:

NC State

Kansas State

Nebraska

Texas A&M

Arkansas

Stanford

Teams Simms has lost to:

Oklahoma (2)

Colorado

Oregon</strong><hr></blockquote>

and that's a fair comparison? applewhite's 4 years vs. sims' 2. sims will have a few more losses under his belt by the time he leaves tx. i guarantee it

you also have to take into account the quality of talent applewhite had to work with. you guys kind of sucked 2 and three years ago.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Actually, Applewhite only started 2 years. No way Simms loses more than 2 this year.

And no way he loses them to teams like NC State or Stanford (or Okie St.).

Yeah, I guess Applewhite's teams did suck. He only had the (then) all-time leading rusher in NCAA history, Ricky Williams. You know that receivers like Wane McGarity. I don't know how he did it!

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 53 of 54
    last season is a blur, but who did you guys play like the last game of the season when simms completely choked and major had to come in and bail you guys out w/ an incredible performance? that should also count as a loss for simms...
  • Reply 54 of 54
    In the Big XII championship game Chris made 4 turnovers. We went down 29-10 and Major brought us back some but we ended up losing by two. We also lost Cedric Benson when he slammed into Mike Williams (I think it was Big Mike) before the second half. Also, Simms scorched CU earlier in the year 41-7, Cedric ran all over them that game as well.

We should've won that game anyway, I think, Applewhite underthrew BJ and Roy multiple times leading us back missing out on some TDs. I sincerely hope we face CU again in the Big XII championship game this year. We will massacre them.

That was against Colorado and I did list it under Simms' losses.

He's 15-4 as a starter. If that's overrated I'll take it.

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>