Verizon leak shows Motorola's iPad challenger priced at $799

Comments

• Reply 141 of 191
    Why is that guy comparing yesteryear's 64 GB iPad with tomorrow's vapor 32GB Xoom and declare that Apple's offering is more expensive?

Rather than trolling I mean?
  • Reply 142 of 191
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    It is clear Moto has no experience in the PC business. If they did they would know you can't sell crap for the same price as an Apple product. You have to sell things for what they are worth. Moto needs to sell this for $399 tops. Even if it is every bit as good as an iPad. Moto is not known for making high quality products.
  • Reply 143 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Yep Derek,

That's the cost of being all emotional. You fire straight from the hip without thinking thugs through. :-P

Feel free to come back for another slice of humble pie anytime.

Who's being emotional? The original poster claimed that Android sucks b/c the Unreal engine hadn't been ported. He was wrong. Then you chimed in and moved the goalposts. There could be any number of reasons for different system requirements. It's ridiculous to overgeneralize.
  • Reply 144 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

It is clear Moto has no experience in the PC business. If they did they would know you can't sell crap for the same price as an Apple product. You have to sell things for what they are worth. Moto needs to sell this for $399 tops. Even if it is every bit as good as an iPad. Moto is not known for making high quality products.

They did the droid... I think that as far as I've seen, the iPad is the clear winner of 2011

Another issue popped up my mind when I saw the pixel count of the Xoom which is slightly higher than the iPad's, at 1200x800.

We know how desperately Apple is trying to maintain some numbers so that the usage of the OS by all apps is not destroyed by having said apps been designed with some pixel count in mind. This concern made Apple double iPhone's screen rather than go 1.2X or 1.5x or something like that. We also know that Apple is probably building a 2048x1536 screen (the real question is if whether we will get it with iPad 2 or not... Gruber doesn't think so) for that same reason. Apple will never consider a 1600x1200 screen, for instance.

Now, this screen displays a 3:2 ratio, while other tablets have other kind of screens, like 800x600 (4:3), 1024x768 (4:3), probably 960x640, etc. How does Honeycomb deal with this issue?

If iPad 3 or 4 showcases a 2048x1536, how will Honeycomb deal with a madness of a list of screen numbers, like 1600x1200, 1800x1200, 1440x1280, or even 16:9 screen estates, like 1600x900, 1200x675, etc? How will apps "smoothly" be integrated in this variety?

Without the blurry antialiasing, of course.
  • Reply 145 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Typical fanboy. Rant and rave, and when you're proven wrong, change the subject, rant and rave some more, and call other technologies names. I honestly wonder why I even bother posting here anymore, since the probability of intelligent conversation is nearly zero.

I wonder why you posted here in the first place. Why do android fans come to a sites for apple owners and then start arguments? Get a life. I certainly don't want to waste my time going to a google android site and yap about how great apple is. Waste of time.
  • Reply 146 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Answer: you root it

Perhaps you could explain that in 5000 words or less.
  • Reply 147 of 191
    Quote:

Who's being emotional? The original poster claimed that Android sucks b/c the Unreal engine hadn't been ported. He was wrong. Then you chimed in and moved the goalposts. There could be any number of reasons for different system requirements. It's ridiculous to overgeneralize.

There are 170+ Android devices, about 10% are comparable/slightly better than 3GS, and the rest a POS from unknown makers like Eken, 1und1, FirstOne, Forsa, MENQ, Dopod, etc. But Android zealots always brag that Android phone is better than iPhone (3GS). Now you said it is ridiculous to overgeneralize.
  • Reply 148 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

There are 170+ Android devices, about 10% are comparable/slightly better than 3GS, and the rest a POS from unknown makers like Eken, 1und1, FirstOne, Forsa, MENQ, Dopod, etc. But Android zealots always brag that Android phone is better than iPhone (3GS). Now you said it is ridiculous to overgeneralize.

What? I haven't made any comments about Android hardware relative to the iPhone 3GS. What is your evidence for the 10% claim? Is there an Android device database you're referencing? And how are you measuring this 10% claim - 10% of the shipped devices or 10% of the device types? I suspect you're just making things up.
  • Reply 149 of 191
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Fragmentation is a myth. It's a non-issue drummed up to malign Android. There is zero evidence that this alleged "fragmentation" is causing problems -- Android is neck-and-neck with iOS in terms of total devices shipped, new devices activated, etc.

Quote:

It's ridiculous to overgeneralize.

it’s almost like two people using the same account but not coordinating their comments.
  • Reply 150 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

it?s almost like two people using the same account but not coordinating their comments.

Ummm.... what? There's nothing contradictory about those statements.
  • Reply 151 of 191
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

The thing is that while the iPad isn't really like an iPhone, it really does look like one. The homescreen is virtually the same and at first glance, you would think it was in fact a giant-iPhone.

While the Xoom is like the iPad in many respects, I really do like how they did the menu by actually making it suitable for a tablet to not make it look like a phone. I hope Apple does the same. It would really make it stand out even more from the iPhone.

Dress your pathetic commentary up however you want but millions of ipads will be sold for each xoom sold. Numbers talk.
  • Reply 152 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

I don`t see why everyone seems to find this too expensive.

It`s only $70 more than the closest comparable iPad with what seems to be superior specs and abilities.

Honeycomb looks sweet and this thing can do things the first gen iPad can`t.

Apple better come up with something good in the second gen iPad.

Hard to say that it can do things the iPad can't since nobody has really seen it in action yet. The demo in Vegas was not really a demo, only a video. It seems to me that if it is going to ship in Feb. that they should have been able to show it in action.
  • Reply 153 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

A

The fact remains when compared according to capability the Xoom is a better deal and a better tablet (According to posted specs)

Maybe according to posted specs it is a better deal and a better tablet, but the key words are "according to posted specs." Nobody has gotten their hands on the Xoom yet so we don't really know.

Besides that, the typical argument against Apple products has to do with the Apple tax and that you can buy something more customizable, upgradeable, and capable for 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Why aren't we seeing something with the specs of the Xoom available for less than $400.
  • Reply 154 of 191
    after seeing the demo of android 3 i think this is going to be the first "real" competition its a very smooth operator to the ipad. but timing is everything and with the ipad 2 due. this competition has really got a long way to go.
  • Reply 155 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Dress your pathetic commentary up however you want but millions of ipads will be sold for each xoom sold. Numbers talk.

Sorry for making a suggestion to the oh-so-holy Apple Inc.
  • Reply 156 of 191
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Name one. Aside from Angry Birds (an issue that appeared to be due to sloppy code), I haven't heard of any.

Lets see. Maybe TweetDeck. Oh, and how about the fact Google of all developers went for awhile without their search app on the Android store until they coded a new "old" version! All because they broke something fundamental between 2.1 and 2.2. Something that wasn't a bug and wasn't a planned deprecation related change. They had to fragment their flagship app just to get it to run, pulling it off the store so it wouldn't accidentally update and break running older versions. Yeah, good QA on that one. This is just the user part of the story: http://searchengineland.com/android-...-android-56582

These are only the easy-to-dig-back-up-out-of-a-whole-grunge of app dev or user complaints.

Yeah, there's no fragmentation. Google decided they were going to not offer a 2.1 version of their Search App after 2.2 shipped. Yeah, you keep telling yourself there's no fragmentation.
  • Reply 157 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Lets see. Maybe TweetDeck.

Huh? The Tweetdeck developers specifically said that developing for Android wasn't a problem : http://www.businessinsider.com/tweet...e-jobs-2010-10.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Oh, and how about the fact Google of all developers went for awhile without their search app on the Android store until they coded a new "old" version! All because they broke something fundamental between 2.1 and 2.2.

You don't know what you're talking about. No one "broke" anything from 2.1 to 2.2, and the Google Search app is present. You're talking about Voice Actions.

The article you linked to is very poorly written and the author clearly doesn't understand how to use his phone. If you want to install a new search widget, for say, Bing or Yahoo, all you have to do is download it from the Market. To change the default search engine in the browser, go to Menu -> More -> Settings and scroll to the bottom. There's an entry labeled "Set search engine."
  • Reply 158 of 191
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Sorry for making a suggestion to the oh-so-holy Apple Inc.

The whole point of the iPhone and iPad is that they ARE so similar. Introducing a whole new interface causes issues for the MAIN purchasers of Apple products, the 99.99% of buyers who are not 'techies'. This is the reason that Apple is taking these elements to the Mac in 10.7, as it creates a more consistent interface across all of their products and leads to easier adoption by users.

Apple don't make products for the techie geeks they make products for the masses, yet you fail to grasp this and somehow think that you can do better than a multi billion dollar business can.
  • Reply 159 of 191
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

So Apple's going to sell billions of iPads if Moto sells only 1,000 Xoom units? Hardly.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Xoom will outsell the iPad - or even come close. But discarding it out of hand is foolish. It looks like the first real competition that the iPad will face. Sure, iPad2 is just around the corner and Apple's ecosystem and UI are hard to beat, but SOMEONE is going to be #2 - and Xoom looks like it has a decent shot at doing that.
  • Reply 160 of 191
    Quote:

The whole point of the iPhone and iPad is that they ARE so similar. Introducing a whole new interface causes issues for the MAIN purchasers of Apple products, the 99.99% of buyers who are not 'techies'. This is the reason that Apple is taking these elements to the Mac in 10.7, as it creates a more consistent interface across all of their products and leads to easier adoption by users.

Apple don't make products for the techie geeks they make products for the masses, yet you fail to grasp this and somehow think that you can do better than a multi billion dollar business can.

Saying that I think Apple should do a new homescreen for the iPad constitutes me saying I can do better than them? What planet are you living on? Get real. Only in fanboy world can a simple comment make someone so offended. And please do us all a favor, practice your grammar skills.