Apple reaches 10 billion downloads on the iOS App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Off topic question -

When installing Snow Leopard on a new drive, is it recommended to first install Leopard?

Client had his HDD go in his Macbook Pro. Going to throw in one of those Seagate hybrid drives.

Snow Leopard is a complete OS in itself (despite the $29 cost). Don't install Leopard first - that could only complicate things.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    You know, at first I was thinking that a $10k iTunes card did sound like a bit much.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I could probably go through that much in a few years, with movie rentals, purchased films, purchased movies, etc.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    You know, with all that cash in a big gold pot in Steve's office wouldn't it have been nice to give the winner a billion dollars? Imagine how many downloads would have spiked over the last month leading up to the 10 billionth download.

Apple would have not even missed that billion.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    I think those of you who bemoan the $10,000 gift card are a bunch of ungrateful, self-centred wretches.

If any of you have been "unfortunate" enough to win this prize kindly donate it to me, I'll find a use for it; I can use the credit to gift content to friends, family and sycophants as well as use it myself.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If I said to you what would you rather have $2,000 now or $200 a year for the next 50 years, which would you prefer?

I'd prefer $200 dollars a year over 50 years = $10,000 but on condition that it's index-linked to maintain its purchasing power.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2cents View Post

Wow! 10 billion downloads in 16 days!

Not 16d, since 2008.

9 days (i.e. since Jan 14, 2011) is only for the last 250 million to go
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Saturday announced that its iOS App Store for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad has reached the milestone of 10 billion downloads since its launch in 2008.

Which is better, an app from Apple or a cheeseburger from McDonalds? "Billions and billions served" applies equally to both.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Off topic question -

When installing Snow Leopard on a new drive, is it recommended to first install Leopard?

Either way is fine. Remember, it will Just Work.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Install went fine. Thanks for the advise all.

FYI for whoever cares...

Put a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 32MB Cache Solid State Hybrid SATA Drive in a 2008 Macbook Pro.

Daaaaaaaam... the drive is fast.

1/4 the cost of a SSD and only slightly slower.

I would recommend.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Congrats! But isn't a $10,000 iTunes card a bit much? Can someone confirm if iTunes cards be used to purchase from the Apple Store, too?

They can not. However the iTunes store is IOS apps, Mac apps, iBooks, music, movies and tv shows. So you can easily spend 10k. Especially when you have lots of time to do it
  • Reply 31 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They can not. However the iTunes store is IOS apps, Mac apps, iBooks, music, movies and tv shows. So you can easily spend 10k. Especially when you have lots of time to do it

You are right there! Hell my Mac Pro by the time it was fully loaded with RAM, TBs of drives and twin ACDs for FCPro Studio it cost more than that!
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

yay. and 50x more Fart Apps have been downloaded from the App Store than TOTAL downloads from the WP7 Marketplace.

Wow, what an amazing rebuttal, this is stock standard android or Apple Hater response.

Can't you be a little bit more original ?

You must have been up all night thinking of that one.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2cents View Post

Wow! 10 billion downloads in 16 days!

TROLL alert
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

Are updates included in this figure or just original "purchases". I put it in "" because many are at no cost.

Original purchases actually.

Unlike android 'activations" of 300,000 per day, which a sizeable portion are updates, unlike iOS, which includes true activations only.

How come Google/Carriers/Manufacturers still don't give hard numbers of their android sales to the public ? Apple does through legal filings with the appropriate financial institutions.

How come M$ doesn't come clean with their WP7 phone sales ?

Remember folks their funeral march for the iPhone, isn't is funny that as usual they have gotten it wrong, its actually for their own phone.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    Quote:

If you want to get technical, almost all of the content on iTunes is provided by other companies. Apple is just hosting it.

I think an iTunes giftcard is great, but are people really going to spend $10,000 in content? They should make a universal giftcard to use on their products, accessories and iTunes.

Probably the first post that you have made on AI that makes any sense.

Keep up the good work, we may yet become friends lol !
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I think those of you who bemoan the $10,000 gift card are a bunch of ungrateful, self-centred wretches.

If any of you have been "unfortunate" enough to win this prize kindly donate it to me, I'll find a use for it; I can use the credit to gift content to friends, family and sycophants as well as use it myself.

Well said, yes we have here nothing more than a bunch of whingers.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

Which is better, an app from Apple or a cheeseburger from McDonalds? "Billions and billions served" applies equally to both.

I would advise that you change your user name as you soil the good name of Monty Python.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Okay, done, I have seen to the negative posts, now I can make my own statement.

10 billion is an incredible number, it doesn't matter whether many are free or that a small minority are rubbish (Apple are much tighter now in quality control, hopefully they will start getting rid of this rubbish). The exposure is priceless. It already has a snow ball effect (Mac sales), and will continue to do so.

It just goes to show those wanna-bes how to do it properly.

Create an eco systems that is centralised, robust, easy to use (one click is damn good way of installing) and you have a winner.

Everything Apple does just screams of high quality, that can only be achieved by lots of hard work and careful planning.

How come people equate simplicity to toys, many of my friends still cannot handle the fact that Apple products are so damn easy to use, this goes against their pre-concieved ideas of computers.

Its a mind shocker to them, and they simply cannot fathom this concept.

As someone who puts a value on time, after all we don't live for ever, using Apple products has saved me heaps these years apart from being fun to use.

Congratulations to the Developers and to Apple, a job well done.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:

Congrats! But isn't a $10,000 iTunes card a bit much? Can someone confirm if iTunes cards be used to purchase from the Apple Store, too?

I'd just be happy to get the call from Steve Jobs telling me I won.

http://www.ajc.com/news/woodstock-ma...10-329325.html
  • Reply 40 of 72
    So how and when do they announce the download winner?