Apple reaches 10 billion downloads on the iOS App Store

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

...is someone really going to spend $10,000 only for iTunes content?

Yes.

Quote:

It will be just sitting in your account instead of actually being able to buy tangible items.

No.

• Reply 62 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes.

No.

Well then I'd like to see what you'd buy.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodie View Post

I wonder if the FMV of the prize would actually be 10k.

How much would you pay for 10k in iTunes money?

I would only buy such a card for a price that allowed me to resell it at a nice profit. I can't really imagine what the heck I would do with a $10,000 iTunes gift card.

Heck - if I got a $100 card I'd list it on eBay.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

I would only buy such a card for a price that allowed me to resell it at a nice profit. I can't really imagine what the heck I would do with a $10,000 iTunes gift card.

Heck - if I got a $100 card I'd list it on eBay.

Yeah, I just looked at my Purchased section of iTunes. I'm not going through every single one of over 1,000 items and trying to figure out how much each item cost. But judging by just looking at how many are movies, how many were Deluxe album purchases, etc, ... I've probably spent something like $1500? That's just a guess.

If I had a $10,000 card, and could buy things without any guilt, I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever spending it.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2cents View Post

Jan 14 was when they started the countdown. Jan 6 is when the App Store was released. But anyway...

I'm not a troll at all

So why the post ? It reeks of trollism (TM).
  • Reply 66 of 72
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Yeah, I just looked at my Purchased section of iTunes. I'm not going through every single one of over 1,000 items and trying to figure out how much each item cost. But judging by just looking at how many are movies, how many were Deluxe album purchases, etc, ... I've probably spent something like $1500? That's just a guess.

If I had a $10,000 card, and could buy things without any guilt, I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever spending it.

I've probably racked up almost USD $800 over the past 3 years or so. And I'm *very* conservative with iTunes Store purchases/ rentals/ apps etc.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    $10,000 prize from Apple? No thanks, says UK woman

January 24, 2011 9:43 AM | No Comments | No TrackBacks

Telemarketers can blight any evening they decide to call, so it is not surprising that

Gail Davis of Orpington Kent put the phone down an Apple representative calling to tell her that she had won $10,000 for downloading the 10 billionth iPhone application.

"Thank you very much; I'm not interested", she said according to reports, but what she didn't know, is that her daughters had used her iPhone to download the Paper Glider app, which just happened to be the prize-winning 10 billionth download.

Fortunately, Apple called back, by which time Davis had been put in the picture about the competition by her daughters.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

This really mystifies me. I can't have friends or family buy me an 'Apple' gift card. However, I can get tons of Dunk'n Donuts gift cards.

Of course you can. I got an Apple gift card from my parents for Christmas. I used it to by an iPhone.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Don't forget the winner gets to pay taxes on the $10,000.

it is treated as income.

Yep, unless I was damn confident I could sell the card quickly for more than half of face, I would actually decline since it would add over $5000 to my tax bill! $10,000 worth of songs for $5,000 is only a good deal if you really wanted them in the first place. If I am goping to spend $5000 on digital music it is going to be high quality lossless at 192/24 or at least 96/24, and Apple does not serve that market.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

In the general sense then, were this a US winner I would say that the taxes may curtail the usefulness of the prizes, yes. After all they probably wouldn't have spent the tax cost on iTunes in one financial year and neither the card nor downloads are transferable or sellable.

Really? In that case I would be absolutely decline! A $5000+ bill for something I did not want and can not sell? Uh thanks but NO THANKS!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Downloads from the App Store have grown at an exponential rate. It was in January of 2010 that Apple announced total App Store downloads had topped 3 billion in the digital download destination's first year and a half.

But in the last year, the number of App Store downloads has more than tripled, with nearly 7 billion downloads in the last year alone. For comparison, in its first year, the App Store reached 1.5 billion downloads.

Whohoo for two full paragraphs explaining simple math!
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

$10,000 prize from Apple? No thanks, says UK woman

January 24, 2011 9:43 AM | No Comments | No TrackBacks

Telemarketers can blight any evening they decide to call, so it is not surprising that

Gail Davis of Orpington Kent put the phone down an Apple representative calling to tell her that she had won $10,000 for downloading the 10 billionth iPhone application.

"Thank you very much; I'm not interested", she said according to reports, but what she didn't know, is that her daughters had used her iPhone to download the Paper Glider app, which just happened to be the prize-winning 10 billionth download.

Fortunately, Apple called back, by which time Davis had been put in the picture about the competition by her daughters.