Production of Apple's iPad 2 to begin in February, iPhone 5 in May - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's overseas manufacturing partners will begin limited production of the second-generation iPad in February, with building of the fifth-generation iPhone to follow in May, according to a new report from the Far East.

China's Commercial Times reported Monday (via Google Translate) that iPad 2 production will begin in February in a "small pilot." But the company's shipments for the second quarter of calendar 2011 are expected to grow significantly, and may even exceed the peak seen by the first-generation iPad in the fourth quarter of 2010.

If true, the report would contradict earlier rumors that pegged partners to begin production of the iPad 2 in January. Still, a February production date would keep the device on track for rumors of an April launch.

Monday's report claims that Foxconn will remain the largest manufacturing partner of Apple, while other usual suppliers like Pegatron will also be involved in creation of the device.

The report also went on to say that Apple's partners are expected to begin "volume production" of the fifth-generation iPhone in May. Apple typically releases a new iPhone every June in keeping with its annual refresh cycle.

Strangely, the report also noted that Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs is not expected to attend the Macworld Conference on Jan. 26 for health reasons. The translated report incorrectly refers to the conference as "Apple's." Apple's final appearance at the Macworld expo came in 2009.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    The beginning of produce date is possible cause 03.Feb is the CTM new year, all workers will go home.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Well, that last statement says all about the crediability of the report.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    My guess would be that the January production estimates were merely for devices seen at the MacWorld Convention this week. February sounds more like the full production for the April Launch.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    If production kicks off in a few weeks, why an April launch and not March?

Being as the launch of the iPad was a rather drawn out affair taking months to unfold (the original announcement took place in January), I don't think that an April launch date is cast in stone.

Apple hates it when leaks blunt the wow factor that comes from unveiling a significant update. If you start building the new iPad in early February and wait for two months to launch the device, you have to know that the official announcement will be merely a formality with no significant PR value. On the other hand if you kick off production and then unveil the device let's say a month later, you have a chance to keep leaks from messing up the reveal. It also helps to prevent competition from being a month closer to catching up to you.

Perhaps I'm being naive. Maybe a month is not enough time to get production going in volumes adequate to meet initial demand. Yet it seems to me that volume production within a month of launching production seems like a reasonable goal. As long as you have enough units built within that month to not be regarded as having lied about it being available, if there is an initial delay for customers in the early stages, that's considered business as usual.

Then again, this is all based on a best-case scenario. If it turns out there is a production issue that surfaces in that first few weeks, no doubt Apple would hate to have it thought that a March or late February public unveiling was in the cards only to have that announcement delayed by several weeks to work out the problem. Better to have it thought that April was the target all along.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Gah! Can't wait.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    ....but when does the white iPhone 4 arrive?
  • Reply 7 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

....but when does the white iPhone 4 arrive?

Please add me to your ignore list... I will do likewise with you.

Thank you.

- ih
  • Reply 8 of 61
    deleted ...
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Please add me to your ignore list... I will do likewise with you.

Might I suggest an insulting name for you in his ignore list?

"Island Curmudgeon"

Well, what else would you put in place of hermit?
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Might I suggest an insulting name for you in his ignore list?

"Island Curmudgeon"

Well, what else would you put in place of hermit?

"Island Asshole"

... and, on topic...

I have an iPad v1 and will be buying at least one iPad v2.

I really hope there is a sd card slot on this thing.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    "FAR EAST".... Jeezus... Just say China
  • Reply 12 of 61
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If true, the report would contradict earlier rumors that pegged partners to begin production of the iPad 2 in January. Still, a February production date would keep the device on track for rumors of an April launch...

iPad2 only in April? Damn, Steve's not around for just a few days and already Apple's slipping.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    I'm with you. For the iPad2 I expect a February announcement with shipping in March. I think towards the end of this month could have been the iPad2 announcement alongside the new publication app mechanism.

But Steve's leave of absence... I'm sure things are going to be delayed somewhat.

Ah well, looks like I'm going to hang on to my iPad1 for a few more months and my iPhone4 for maybe another year (I might skip the iPhone "4GS").

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

If production kicks off in a few weeks, why an April launch and not March?

Being as the launch of the iPad was a rather drawn out affair taking months to unfold (the original announcement took place in January), I don't think that an April launch date is cast in stone.

Apple hates it when leaks blunt the wow factor that comes from unveiling a significant update. If you start building the new iPad in early February and wait for two months to launch the device, you have to know that the official announcement will be merely a formality with no significant PR value. On the other hand if you kick off production and then unveil the device let's say a month later, you have a chance to keep leaks from messing up the reveal. It also helps to prevent competition from being a month closer to catching up to you.

Perhaps I'm being naive. Maybe a month is not enough time to get production going in volumes adequate to meet initial demand. Yet it seems to me that volume production within a month of launching production seems like a reasonable goal. As long as you have enough units built within that month to not be regarded as having lied about it being available, if there is an initial delay for customers in the early stages, that's considered business as usual.

Then again, this is all based on a best-case scenario. If it turns out there is a production issue that surfaces in that first few weeks, no doubt Apple would hate to have it thought that a March or late February public unveiling was in the cards only to have that announcement delayed by several weeks to work out the problem. Better to have it thought that April was the target all along.

• Reply 14 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

iPad2 only in April? Damn, Steve's not around for just a few days and already Apple's slipping.

That is when it was released last year. They have kept the iDevice releases pretty consistent over the years. If they can release both the WiFi and Wifi+3G model types in April that will be an improvement over last year.

PS: anecdotally speaking, I have noticed more and more people who I wouldn't co sider technical or followers of tech news have a general idea of the next assumed iDevice releases. Is the media at large relaying this info to people?
  • Reply 15 of 61
    I find it hard to believe an iPhone 5 is ready to debut after the IP4 was released less than a year ago. \
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: anecdotally speaking, I have noticed more and more people who I wouldn't co sider technical or followers of tech news have a general idea of the next assumed iDevice releases. Is the media at large relaying this info to people?

Yup... The media pretty much just relays the rumors from tech blogs, etc.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

I find it hard to believe an iPhone 5 is ready to debut after the IP4 was released less than a year ago. \

Huh? The iPhone 4 was released in June last year. This report and consensus says that iPhone 5 will be released in June this year. Nothing unexpected.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonatan View Post

Well, that last statement says all about the crediability of the report.

Well, I don't know. The report is from China, where they have a line on Chinese manufacturers, not on Macworld conferences.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is when it was released last year. They have kept the iDevice releases pretty consistent over the years. If they can release both the WiFi and Wifi+3G model types in April that will be an improvement over last year. ...

I hope they don't screw over Canada like last year and only release it up here when they have enough for Croatia and Outer Mongolia as well.

Waiting those extra three/four months is painful when everyone else already has one and is using it. I don't understand why they dropped us off the initial release list (for the first time), last year.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Well, I don't know. The report is from China, where they have a line on Chinese manufacturers, not on Macworld conferences.

I find the leaks from China to be fairly reliable. It was reports from China that convinced me the iPhone 4 CDMA was finally upon us.

As Apple grows such leaks will be harder to contain without spending an exponently higher amount of resources to contain it. Probably to a point tha it's simply not financially viable. China is the future in so many ways.

... Runs to sign up for local class in Mandarin.