Movie talk: "Signs" ***SPOILERS****

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>For the last freaking time you unwashed troglodytes... this - was - not - a - scary - alien - movie.

I didn't think it was very scary, but since when is that any benchmark for a good movie?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Let me quote the tagline for the movie:

"Don't see it alone"

They market the goddamn movie as being scary. The trailers make it out to be scary, the music makes it out to be scary. But then its a big let down when its not scary.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    I didn't hate the movie I just didn't think it was that great. Then when people post things like "wow this is the greatest movie ever" my reaction is "eh, it was dreck". It wasn't dreck but there's little reason not to wait for it on DVD.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'm not easily scared in movies, but my girlfriend was scared and clung to my arm with a surprising force.

I haven't seen "Don't see it alone".

It was pretty funny, the running around the house screaming part killed me. "I AM LOSING MY MIND!"

What I really fail to see is how it is a bad movie. If you came in expecting to see a Sixth Sense ending then that's your own fault for having preconceived notions.

If you came in expecting Aliens 5 then that's your own fault as well.

I can understand that showing the alien in full at the end took away a bit, although I disagree. The only part I found to be heavy-handed was the boy talking to the girl about taping over her ballet recital. But he got out of that nicely by making everyone laugh with the girl's simple reaction to the very clear and forceful reason of the boy.

There were plenty of holes in the storyline (no guns? no running for help? no radios, food, weapons in the basement (their fallback area)?) but that's expected because it's a movie with ALIENS in it.

You couldn't have the cop with a bigger role because the end was about them as a family unit.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    The whole "lost faith restored" thing is trite and boring. Very "Touched by an Angle".
  • Reply 45 of 46
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by scott_h_phd:

<strong>The whole "lost faith restored" thing is trite and boring. Very "Touched by an Angle".</strong><hr></blockquote>

More like "mauled by an alien".

This is exactly why it was a bad movie. It was trite and boring. The characters emotions seemed forced and I just didn't give a rats ass about them. I wasn't drawn in and the attempts at suspense were wretched.

It was just a mismash (my word) of ideas from other movies:

Panic Room, The Birds, War of the Worlds.

I was expecting something original and clever, not "the crop circles are road maps!!!" AHHH Run for the hills!!!

So I guess it was my fault for expecting an intelligent movie when all I got was a campy "B" movie. Especially the scene with the army recruiter. Oh God why didn't they cut that scene!!
  • Reply 46 of 46
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>

The hook is....the Aliens are really dead people, and Mel Gibson sees them everywhere. Then he gets hit by a train and becomes a super hero and wipes out the aliens with his atomic breath. But then Bruce Willis wakes up at the end and realizes it was all just a horrible nightmare and he's really not Mel Gibson.

Now you won't be surprised

</strong><hr></blockquote>

HAHHAHAHAHAHA