Microsoft offers free 30 day trial of Office for Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    I'm just REALLY annoyed that, despite the new product, Microsoft has decided not to support Macworld this year... same goes for all the other big companies like Adobe as well. I really wanted to see the software in action and watch a few demos before making a decision... Now I may just stick with the '08 version. At least I know those features already.

After 20 years of annual attendance, this may be our last year in San Fran... it's a great shame, but shutting down these kind of expos will IMO eventually hurt the Mac computer market even if it doesn't hurt the iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I hate MS Office, any version! Just use OpenOffice if you really need to or otherwise iWork all the way, baby. Of course, not everyone can be so lucky, people and businesses are so enslaved to using MS Office.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post

You know they can do both. Make a trial available on their website and have it available for download on the app store. They just can't place the trial there.

30% of MS Office sales going to Apple? I don't see it happening anytime soon, to be honest.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This is not correct, MAS apps are allowed to install background processes, they just have to get explicit permission from the user first, see 2.23 in the guidelines. For example an app I bought named EarthDesk installed a background process that updates the desktop image every few minutes. I actually wish Apple had been stricter about this and banned bg processes altogether. Or taken an iOS approach where they offer a menu of bg processes apps can choose from that Apple themselves have written.

Huh? The complaints would be even more vociferous then!
  • Reply 25 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Huh? The complaints would be even more vociferous then!

Complaints from whom, the developers? I'm sure customers would like the extra stability and battery life from having only Apple services running. Anyway all this was debated already when iOS 4 came out.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Unfortunately the Office is nonstarter for me - there is NO possible way to install or use spellcheck for cyrillic languages besides Russian.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    I'd be surprised if Microsoft would unleash Office on the Mac App Store at this stage. They obviously thought long and hard about making Office 2011 licensing terms more stringent than 2008, effectively allowing fewer installations at the same price. My understanding is each app's license from the Mac App Store is essentially like that of a Family Pack, allowing multiple installations with the same account. If this is correct, then we won't see anything but freebies from Microsoft on the Mac Apps Store like Messenger etc.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    I hear OpenOffice is offering a lifetime trial.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    I installed M$ Office for Mac ages ago, and although I use it now and again (when corresponding to people who use Windows), I don't really need it.

iWork does what I need, I really don't miss that bloatware called Word.

I can't comment on 2011 version or whatever they call it, as I will not be installing any M$ or Adobe software ever again on my Mac. I say DO NO EVIL.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

I hear OpenOffice is offering a lifetime trial.

This probably sounds elitist but I think I am blessed to not have to use Office-anything for income, passion or pleasure. No Office for Mac on my Mac for about 2 years now, and only OpenOffice for emergencies. But the alternatives are so vast. People are so enslaved to doing everything in MS Office but it's probably one of the least efficient ways of doing business, to be honest. For example using Word and Excel and emailing it back and forth for a simple thing like lists of people or items -- which could be 50% of what Office is used for.

Fair enough there are Excel power users but those may not be in the majority of Office users.