Microsoft offers free 30 day trial of Office for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Rather than listing Office for Mac on the Mac App Store, Microsoft is offering a new 30 day free trial for the suite, something that can't be done through Apple's App Store.



In contrast to smaller developers such as Pixelmator, which have embraced the new Mac App Store enthusiastically, Microsoft (along with Adobe) hasn't released any titles through the Mac App Store yet.



It has released Windows Live Messenger and Bing search apps in the iOS App Store, in addition to the new iPhone OneNote, a note taking component of Office for Windows that hasn't ever been ported to the Mac.



Were Microsoft to release Office for Mac through the App Store, it would likely become a top selling title, much as iWork has on the iPad and Mac App Stores. There are some modifications Microsoft would need to make however, including not being able to install background processes, needing to be self contained, and being unable to use undocumented, private APIs.



For the time being, Office for Mac is only available from conventional resellers on physical disc media or direct download from Microsoft, with Amazon offering the best price for the Home and Student package.



Product Retail Direct Download Amazon MacMall Buy.com MacConnection B&H Discount Microsoft Office 2011 Mac Home & Student $119.99 N/A $99.99 $99.99 $115.99 $119.95 $114.99 $20.00 Home & Student (Family Pack) $149.99 $149.99 $124.25 $125.51 $127.45 $142.13 $125.99 $25.74 Home & Business $199.99 N/A $174.99 $174.99 $177.99 $189.95 $173.99 $26.00 Home & Business (2 Pack) $279.99 $279.99 $228.43 $228.43 N/A $250.80 $227.99 $52.00

«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 30
    Great - So I install it, hate it then I have all this crap left behind when I try to uninstall it.



    No thanks.



    BTW: This appears to be a portion of the previous article reposted - whats up?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    I hope Microsoft and the other big players rebel, maybe that will wake apple up. The lack of trial versions is one of the largest functionality holes in the iOS app store, and now that flaw has been ported to the mac.



    It's not like apple can't fix this– all they need to do is provide an API that lets apps reference back to the app store when people want to upgrade their trial to a full version. Hopefully once Lion rolls around we'll see this, otherwise I'm going to still keep downloading trials from websites rather then the app store (defeating the whole purpose.)
  • Reply 3 of 30
    iWork has gotten to the point where I really don't need Office anymore. I just open all my old Word and Excel files with iWork and save out as Pages or Numbers. When I have to send a file to someone who doesn't use iWork I just save out as Office from iWork. I never did use PowerPoint because Keynote was always better. I'm just holding on to my old Office for Mac and not upgrading it anymore.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    I don't work with iWork. Simple terrible. I am sure it has its audience, but I'm not it. As for Office 2011, I use it heavily. Great program.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    I thought they were already offering this, but I guess not.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Failure to embrace the Mac App Store will not win any Apple customers for Microsoft you can be sure.

    Microsoft is just making it harder for the end user to have the superior experience when dealing with apps.



    Also greedy Microsoft prolly not want to give up some jack to the Apple.



    Now that Apple has surpassed Microsoft as the largest technology company in the world those Redmond fools think they can thumb their nose at the Mac App Store. HOW UTTERLY ARROGANT. Steve Ballmer needs to be run out of town ASAP.

  • Reply 7 of 30
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,166member
    I like the new interface. However, Visual Basic is not working for me. I can't get my previous projects working with Excel 2011. It seems that VB won't accept changes to the Userform dimensions. The funny thing is they worked fine with 2004 version.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I hate office 2011, I was used to office 2008 and they go and change the interface, not very good idea
  • Reply 9 of 30
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    You know what would sell even more copies of Office?



    Making ribbons optional and bringing back pallets as an option. Also it would be nice to have some of the functionality present in Entourage brought to Outlook. Also Outlook needs more multithreading.



    Get these basics right and I'll upgrade Office.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Why would they put it on the App Store? They have always offered upgrade pricing. (Something, I believe the App Store does not accomodate.) They are in a ton of sales pipes as it is. The App Store is a huge step down from what sales outlets they already have in place.



    Putting it on the App Store would be stupid for MS. (Besides, if they did, they'd lose me as a potential customer...)
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whoda Farmer View Post


    Failure to embrace the Mac App Store will not win any Apple customers for Microsoft you can be sure.

    Microsoft is just making it harder for the end user to have the superior experience when dealing with apps.



    Also greedy Microsoft prolly not want to give up some jack to the Apple.



    Now that Apple has surpassed Microsoft as the largest technology company in the world those Redmond fools think they can thumb their nose at the Mac App Store. HOW UTTERLY ARROGANT. Steve Ballmer needs to be run out of town ASAP.





    So, you're the new Court Jester, huh?
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post


    I hope Microsoft and the other big players rebel, maybe that will wake apple up. The lack of trial versions is one of the largest functionality holes in the iOS app store, and now that flaw has been ported to the mac. ...



    Man what a rude comment.



    First off you are wrong about the implementation of this. It can't be done securely without doing all that invasive junk that Microsoft does like checking through your hardware, making you validate the product etc. Apple doesn't do that kind of nonsense because it knows that customers hate it.



    Secondly, there are many reasons why Microsoft isn't in the app store, only *one* of which is the lack of a trial version. In fact trial versions can be offered separately on the Microsoft website (or any other for that matter), so that's not even what's really stopping them.



    The issues of using serial numbers, of using undocumented API's and of tracking the customers are all far more important. Microsoft either has to cave on all their draconian security or basically they can never be in the app store.



    I would assume that once it's popular they will start pushing out "lite" versions of Office products and hosting them in the app store while selling the "real deal" on their own website.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,835member
    Office 2011 Home and Business breaks the convention that you are allowed to load purchased software on both your desktop and laptop.

    The boxes I've seen at the Apple store clearly say 1 User, 1 Mac.



    No sale.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    That's nice. I'll stick with iWork.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    If you work in the corporate world you probably need the Home & Biz version because of the new version of Outlook for Mac.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    OK, I'll bite. Why would it be stupid for Microsoft? Putting an application in the AppStore isn't exclusive. Microsoft already offers the application in Apple's retail stores. Physical media costs Microsoft more. In the retail store Microsoft probably already pays Apple more for a sale of Office then it would on the AppStore. Further, the AppStore probably would prominently list Office thereby increasing sales.



    Why would you care if Microsoft includes the Application Store provided it still offers you the option of buying it in normal outlets. Choice for consumers is apparently bad?



    Finally, you might not care, but a corporation is not a "they." It is an it. A corporation is a singular entity and treated as an individual under the laws.



    PS. Just because the AppStore doesn't offer upgrade pricing doesn't mean it can't offer the Full Version for people who don't need the upgrade pricing. If you want an upgrade (until Apple improves the Store), buy it from one of the many other outlets.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post


    Putting it on the App Store would be stupid for MS. (Besides, if they did, they'd lose me as a potential customer...)



  • Reply 17 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    There are some modifications Microsoft would need to make however, including not being able to install background processes



    This is not correct, MAS apps are allowed to install background processes, they just have to get explicit permission from the user first, see 2.23 in the guidelines. For example an app I bought named EarthDesk installed a background process that updates the desktop image every few minutes. I actually wish Apple had been stricter about this and banned bg processes altogether. Or taken an iOS approach where they offer a menu of bg processes apps can choose from that Apple themselves have written.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    I think if MS put these apps up individually on the App Store they would make a killing. I for one want to buy Word and Outlook but not the rest.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    You know they can do both. Make a trial available on their website and have it available for download on the app store. They just can't place the trial there.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delizaza23 View Post


    I hate office 2011, I was used to office 2008 and they go and change the interface, not very good idea



    Office 2008 interface was a PoS. The 2011 is about a thousand times better.
Sign In or Register to comment.