Verizon to offer iPhone 4 with $20 hotspot tethering plan

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Verizon announced that for now they'll be offering unlimited data plans to its iPhone users for $30.00 a month. With regards to the metaphor of "a 90 day job", its like when I was flying, airlines when they hired you put you on probation for the first year. You had to be on your toes to not screw up.

I guess the posters metaphor implies that the unlimited plan is on probation until Verizon figures if its worth it to keep it so as to differentiate its top data plan to ATT's or if data hogs take advantage of the unlimited data and cause the "it's the network" carrier to have their system taxed and overburden and slow downs of data, god forbid dropped calls or whatever else might happen, that would influence the Verizon higher ups with regards to keeping the unlimited data offering or go to a tiered data structure like ATT. That's how I read the meaning of it.

/

/

/

So.. after the first year you don't worry about screwing up while flying a plane full of people?

I am going to assume you don't mean it quite like that. So, just messin...
  • Reply 22 of 43
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Suddenly those worshipping Verizon start to see a company, at least as far as costs go, a lot like AT&T.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Verizon announced that for now they'll be offering unlimited data plans to its iPhone users for $30.00 a month. With regards to the metaphor of "a 90 day job", its like when I was flying, airlines when they hired you put you on probation for the first year. You had to be on your toes to not screw up.

I guess the posters metaphor implies that the unlimited plan is on probation until Verizon figures if its worth it to keep it so as to differentiate its top data plan to ATT's or if data hogs take advantage of the unlimited data and cause the "it's the network" carrier to have their system taxed and overburden and slow downs of data, god forbid dropped calls or whatever else might happen, that would influence the Verizon higher ups with regards to keeping the unlimited data offering or go to a tiered data structure like ATT. That's how I read the meaning of it.

/

/

/

Yeah, it was a joke. Sheesh. The point is it doesn't require a stupid metaphor to illustrate what the word temporary means.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    All I have to say is after looking at those plans, my iPhone is very happy to be on T-Mobile. The reality is most people spend much of their time by a Wi-Fi network. The unlimited data plans aren't needed for most people.

If I want to go legit, which I doubt, I suspect T-Mobile and Apple will be making an announcement after the iPhone gets an update. I honestly don't get the infatuation with Verizon. Except for the so called unlimited data on Verizon (the term is misleading because there is always a cap), AT&T's plans look better.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Suddenly those worshipping Verizon start to see a company, at least as far as costs go, a lot like AT&T.

Who exactly was worshipping VZW from a pricing perspective?? I wad with them for ~7 years and pricing/value was not something they were known for, and they did a lot of shady anti-consumer stuff with their smartphones (e.g. Disabling bluetooth file transfer, etc). However, and it's a big however, at the end of he day the most important factor for many is service (both voice and data) reliability and availability. In my immediate area, AT&Ts 3G network is good. But in many areas I travel to frequently, particularly downtown in large cities cities and in really rural areas, it is unusable. Verizong may be many things bad and nasty, but if I can get 3G and voice service where AT&T doesnt deliver, that's really thr end of the decision.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

It's obscene that they charge $15 for Exchange server usage!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I raised an eyebrow at that as well. Does that mean you can't use an exchange-based email address on your iPhone without paying Verizon an additional $15/mo?

The $15/month Exchange access is meant for businesses data plans only. AT&T charges the same amount for business plans as well. You can still access Exchange using the personal data plans.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The $15/month Exchange access is meant for businesses data plans only. AT&T charges the same amount for business plans as well. You can still access Exchange using the personal data plans.

Ah good. Well AI should fix that. I have my exchange account on ATT and don't pay anything for it, so that part of the chart is misleading if that's the case. Can we confirm with someone who has an exchange account on a personal Verizon device?
  • Reply 28 of 43
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hface119 View Post

They can't just take it away.

I betcha they can!

Many years back early 90's I believe, my friend had a unlimited voice plan that Alltel (remember them) offered. A lot of people took to the plan and I guess it was hurting Alltel in some way because, poof, they ended that deal and offered a new plan no way near to what my friend was benefiting from (and, not being a lawyer, Alltel offered to get around class action law suit, I guess). My friend, pissed, walked away since Alltel breached the contract. Don't know if my friend had to worry about ETF, don't care, not the point of my little diatribe. Bottom line, the deal they had was easily ended by the one who holds all the cards and plays all the strings. Anyway, my friend went to Sprint for a spell and is now with ATT with the iPhone 4 and is a happy camper! Although still not on an unlimited voice plan, has a family plan with enough minutes, along with rollover, to keep satisfied.

Maybe things are different today. Maybe todays companies have integrity. Maybe companies now a days have a conscience! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry, I crack myself up sometimes.

/

/

/
  • Reply 29 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Ah good. Well AI should fix that. I have my exchange account on ATT and don't pay anything for it, so that part of the chart is misleading if that's the case. Can we confirm with someone who has an exchange account on a personal Verizon device?

Here is an official Verizon explanation from a little over a year ago regarding Exchange charge:

Quote:

Second, whether you pay $30 or $45 doesn't depend on what you're doing with the phone. You can hit Exchange email on the $30 plan just fine. It depends on what kind of Verizon Wireless account you have. If you have a personal account or family plan, your data will cost $30/month. It doesn't matter if you're using Microsoft Exchange, Facebook, Gmail, or whatever - it's $30. This is the same for all Verizon Windows Mobile and Android phones.

Data on business accounts - "corporate liable," multiple lines, purchased through business sales, usually mediated by an IT department - costs $45/month. Once again, this is the same for every Windows Mobile and Android phone.

• Reply 30 of 43
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

So.. after the first year you don't worry about screwing up while flying a plane full of people?

If you only know what I know...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

I am going to assume you don't mean it quite like that. So, just messin...

Just messin, too...
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:

I betcha they can!

Many years back early 90's I believe, my friend had a unlimited voice plan that Alltel (remember them) offered. A lot of people took to the plan and I guess it was hurting Alltel in some way because, poof, they ended that deal and offered a new plan no way near to what my friend was benefiting from (and, not being a lawyer, Alltel offered to get around class action law suit, I guess). My friend, pissed, walked away since Alltel breached the contract. Don't know if my friend had to worry about ETF, don't care, not the point of my little diatribe. Bottom line, the deal they had was easily ended by the one who holds all the cards and plays all the strings. Anyway, my friend went to Sprint for a spell and is now with ATT with the iPhone 4 and is a happy camper! Although still not on an unlimited voice plan, has a family plan with enough minutes, along with rollover, to keep satisfied.

Maybe things are different today. Maybe todays companies have integrity. Maybe companies now a days have a conscience! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry, I crack myself up sometimes.

/

/

/

Let me rephrase, they won't just take it away. Yes, they can breach the contract, and that therefore allows you to walk away without paying an ETF. However, let's examine some things:

1) The Subsidy: They risk losing what they spent on the subsidy on the iPhone if they remove unlimited data from existing-contracts in a few months.

2) The Customers: There WILL be more people on Verizon owning an iPhone than any other smartphone. This represents a HUGE portion of their total contracts. Do you really think they want to piss that many people off? It would be a nail in the coffin.

and there are plenty more marketing/reputation reasons that they will not do this.

Could they, theoretically? Yes. Will they, in any chance in Hell? No.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Hmm.. unlimited data for $30/month plus $20 for tethering option? Is this a directed attack to steal AT&T iPhone customers because this temporary deal sounds too good to be true for Verizon.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I agree. Those that where kicking and screaming (i.e. whining) about how horrible AT&T is and how wonderful Verizon is are suddenly backpedaling their preaching? Total absolute hypocrites.

What Verizon is doing comes to no surprise whatsoever. Cry me a river from hearing their little bubbles bursting.

Why don't all the whiners pool their money together, build their own cellular network and do as they please? Considering the number of whiners that are raising a stink about it, they should have the money to do it

Please explain how going from this:

Quote:

I can't stand AT&T, I drop 5 calls a day and have to use skype over wifi to make important phone calls

To this:

Quote:

Oh great, Verizon got the iPhone, and they're charing about $90/mo for what you used to be able to get for $65 a month on AT&T.

Makes you a hypocrite?

No one ever said Verizon was wonderful, they said that you could at least MAKE A PHONE CALL with Verizon.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    How do you know Verizon won't grandfather early iPhone adopters in the same way AT&T did?

I would be happy to pay an extra $20 on top of the $30 for unlimited I currently have. Especially if it can be added as need like an iPad plan. That way I can use wifi for my iPad 2 and my daughter can use wifi for her iTouch through my phone. $5 cheaper than an ipad plan, others can use the access and I can save $130 off a 3G/CDMA iPad 2 and get more storage (unless SD is a legit rumor). Then I can just save some cash.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarvis8484 View Post

+1

This is just unbelievable that they can get away with this . . . pay for x amount of data and how I access it shouldn't cost me additional fees . . . I f I buy a gallon of gas I can use it in my car, in my lawn mower, trimmer or whatever . . . OH, you want to put the gas in your atv, sorry, that will be an additional $20. Can I say I hate cell providers!!!

I agree! I'm already paying for the data connection AND the amount of data, why should I be charged based on how I access that data? I think it's time people wake up to these predatory tactics by the cell carriers.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Well I guess I'll continue using my 5 year old prepaid Nokia from T Mobile. Cost me about $10 Bucks a

month. I just use it for outgoing call's when I'm out.....and turn it off. Any emergencies can wait till I

get home or back to the office. I'll wait till all the provider's run together and blow up.

Gee ....how did the world survive without all the new fangul gagets.

I'll also stick with my 3 year old iMac 20, till I see smoke.

Cool story bro.

Oh and not everyone is in the same situation as you, where they have the luxury of making it impossible for anyone to contact them when they're out. Some of us get important calls that we need to take and act on.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

+1

This is just unbelievable that they can get away with this . . . pay for x amount of data and how I access it shouldn't cost me additional fees . . . I f I buy a gallon of gas I can use it in my car, in my lawn mower, trimmer or whatever . . . OH, you want to put the gas in your atv, sorry, that will be an additional $20. Can I say I hate cell providers!!!

Ridiculous analogy in all respects. Please show me where you can buy 'unlimited' gasoline for a set price, I would be interested in that.

Sometimes the naivety and inability to understand how things work here astounds me. When a carrier offers 'unlimited' data, they do it on the assumption of average consumption, which they internally calculate and which they believe their network can handle, as well as being cost-effective. It's not really 'unlimited', but most people will stay within the acceptable threshhold, and thus there will be no problem. Now, imagine what would happen if most people tethered, torrented, and downloaded tens of gigabytes a month. It would completely destroy the network. Use some common sense and try to understand why a company that wants to remain profitable needs to impose these kinds of fees and limitations.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Explain to me why any consumer would pay an additional charge to "tether" the data they have already paid for? You folks down in the U.S. need to fire up your lawyers really quickly to set the stage for elsewhere. Seriously, if you've paid for a 2GB plan (or whatever amount), why the hell should your phone company then get to tell you how you're allowed to use the data you've purchased?!? Screw that! You buy your data...and if you want to use it on your phone, fine. If you want your laptop to use that data, fine...cuz you already paid for it. Fight for your data, America (and anywhere else that may try to charge you for "tethering")! Tethering charges are a complete joke and should not be tolerated!
  • Reply 39 of 43
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

+1

What you and so many others utterly fail to recognize is that you aren't paying for unlimited data. You are paying for unlimited data on your iPhone. So your "x amount of data" is based on how much you can grab with typical use of an iPhone. That's what you are paying for. Your laptop can suck up data at a much higher rate, and you'd easily consume more than an iPhone can. So yeah, that's gonna cost more.

Next you are going to say that if you bought an upgrade copy of OS X you should be able to install it on any hardware you want. (If you don't get the reference, Google "Psystar")

Oh, and please let me know where I can get unlimited gas for a set price.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

What you and so many others utterly fail to recognize is that you aren't paying for unlimited data. You are paying for unlimited data on your iPhone. So your "x amount of data" is based on how much you can grab with typical use of an iPhone. That's what you are paying for. Your laptop can suck up data at a much higher rate, and you'd easily consume more than an iPhone can. So yeah, that's gonna cost more.

Next you are going to say that if you bought an upgrade copy of OS X you should be able to install it on any hardware you want. (If you don't get the reference, Google "Psystar")

Oh, and please let me know where I can get unlimited gas for a set price.

I’m amazed that we’d even have to explain it. People sign a contract that explicitly states how the data can used.

I suppose it’s like renting a car with unlimited miles. Only authorized drivers can drive the car. Tethering is like an unauthorized driver behind the wheel. Those that don’t like the agreement can choose not to sign the contract and shop elsewhere.

It’s funny that people don’t have the same confusion with Unlimited evening or weekend minutes and other such schemes that only the term ‘unlimited' in one way. The user is still limited to the number of minutes they can call within that timeframe, but they seem to understand that it’s unlimited within that scope.

I honestly don’t get how or why anyone here can be confused by what unlimited means here.