Verizon to offer iPhone 4 with $20 hotspot tethering plan

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Who exactly was worshipping VZW from a pricing perspective?? I wad with them for ~7 years and pricing/value was not something they were known for, and they did a lot of shady anti-consumer stuff with their smartphones (e.g. Disabling bluetooth file transfer, etc). However, and it's a big however, at the end of he day the most important factor for many is service (both voice and data) reliability and availability. In my immediate area, AT&Ts 3G network is good. But in many areas I travel to frequently, particularly downtown in large cities cities and in really rural areas, it is unusable. Verizong may be many things bad and nasty, but if I can get 3G and voice service where AT&T doesnt deliver, that's really thr end of the decision.

Exactly.

If anything, its the AT&T crowd that feels the need to defend (religiously) their choice. Obviously, most of these folks are pi$$ed because they are stuck with their at&t plans and/or cant afford a new phone- so they dump others that DO have a choice.

I have a VZ phone and a IPAD 3G (on AT&T). The network differences here are stark (Raleigh, NC). AT&T is not even a choice for serious cell usage.... for folks that (believe it or not) expect their phone to be a phone first.

There's a lot of us that wouldn't sacrifice better coverage for the bells/whistles of the iphone. AND (with the Verizon Iphone) we will now sacrifice being able to talk on the phone AND update our fb page simultaneously so that we can still have rock solid phone coverage first.

If you think only a small number of people feel the same way- just check the news on 2/10..... We will see who is right: me, and Steve Jobs and Verizon, or you nutcases who think people wont want this phone.....
  • Reply 42 of 43
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m amazed that we?d even have to explain it. People sign a contract that explicitly states how the data can used.

I suppose it?s like renting a car with unlimited miles. Only authorized drivers can drive the car. Tethering is like an unauthorized driver behind the wheel. Those that don?t like the agreement can choose not to sign the contract and shop elsewhere.

It?s funny that people don?t have the same confusion with Unlimited evening or weekend minutes and other such schemes that only the term ?unlimited' in one way. The user is still limited to the number of minutes they can call within that timeframe, but they seem to understand that it?s unlimited within that scope.

I honestly don?t get how or why anyone here can be confused by what unlimited means here.

If unlimited as a term means anything but unlimited, it's false advertising in my opinion and should be investigated by the appropriate regulatory authorities. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen. "Unlimited" just "sounds" better in ads to people, and we have toothless regulators in the US so the carriers will carry on.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

If unlimited as a term means anything but unlimited, it's false advertising in my opinion and should be investigated by the appropriate regulatory authorities. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen. "Unlimited" just "sounds" better in ads to people, and we have toothless regulators in the US so the carriers will carry on.

So when they say Unlimited data are you allowed to get all the data you can possibly want for the rest of your life after paying for once month of service? Of course not, because you are LIMITED to that time frame of the billing cycle and when they cut you off for non-payment. If you go to an all-you-can-eat buffet are you allowed to get there for the rest of your life because you paid for ALL-you-can eat? Of course not, you paid for a limited duration which is a single meal session.

Unlimited in this since is clear. They explain it in writing. They have to by law and anyone that doesn?t understand this is either choosing not to understand the contract or doesn?t have the mental facilities to understand it. In either case it?s not the companies fault. In the case of the carriers they clearly define unlimited as as much data as you can use on the device, not through the device as a hotspot or tethered internet connection.

If you don?t like the restrictions of a contract then you choose not to accept it or find a way to circumvent it (just as many have who have chosen to take the risk of jailbreaking and using tethering apps at the risk of the carrier canceling their contract), but this entitled attitude of redefining the terms of a freely signed contract to suit ones needs in some moral sense is juvenile. I violate my contract on a daily basis by tethering with MyFi on my jailbroken iPhone, but I take full responsibility for my actions and understand the potential risk involved. If AT&T cancels my account that is my fault, not theirs.