Apple seeks RFID, payment platform experts, fueling iPhone e-wallet rumors

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As rumors of a near-field communications chip in Apple's next-generation iPhone surface, the company is looking to bolster its team with a hardware engineer familiar with radio-frequency identification (RFID), as well as experts on global payment platforms.

AppleInsider has discovered that Apple this week put out a call for a test engineer for iPhone hardware. The company seeks an extremely well qualified candidate, preferably with a Ph.D., who has expertise on a range of subjects.

Among the required areas of knowledge is RFID, a type of near-field communications that can be used to wirelessly transmit secure data in close proximity. An NFC chip can be used for a variety of potential activities, including the ability to turn a mobile device, like an iPhone, into an "e-wallet" for retail transactions.

The job listing comes as a new rumor this week claimed that Apple is finalizing an e-wallet strategy for this year's anticipated iPhone 5, as well as the second-generation iPad. Richard Doherty, director of the consulting firm Envisioneering Group, claimed that Apple plans to start its own mobile payment service for use at retail stores as early as mid-2011.

The rumored service could rely on a revamped iTunes that would directly handle transactions. It was said that Apple has already built a prototype payment terminal intended for small businesses, and the company may "heavily" subsidize or give away the hardware to retailers to encourage rapid adoption of NFC technology.

For Apple to transform customers' iTunes accounts into a payment processing service would be a major overhaul, but two more job listings from Apple could hint at those plans. The company is looking to hire at least two people (1, 2) for the position of "Manager Global Payment Platforms."

The job description says that the position will require someone to manage customer payment options and business partnerships to allow the purchase of Apple products in its online store, iTunes, and in retail stores. It also invites applicants who "want to be part of something big."

Apple seeks a candidate who will "explore new global payment initiatives and expansion," and "research and understand global payment rules and regulations." The position will require the employee to assist in managing partnerships with banks and payment processor, and also work with outside business partners and vendors on operational issues.

While the job listing makes no specific mention of a new e-wallet venture from Apple, the timing of the postings this week is noteworthy as rumors of an NFC-equipped iPhone resurface.

Reports of Apple's alleged interest in NFC technology are not new. In 2009 it was claimed that Apple was already testing RFID swipe support in prototype iPhone models, while another report a year later said that Apple had built RFID-equipped handsets with hardware from NXP Semiconductor.

Last year Apple also hired Benjamin Vigier, who has been working with NFC technology since 2004. Previously, Vigier was the project manager for mobile wallet, payment and NFC at mFoundry, a company that specializes in mobile payments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    If this is going to be Apple's "revolutionary and magical" new feature for iphone 5...and people actually go all orgasmic over it, then something is clearly wrong with people.

This is the most gimmicky and useless "feature" I have ever heard of on a phone. Fine put it in there...I don't mind...but if they expect me to drop $200+ on a new phone over this new feature then they can keep waiting.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    they need something in the iPhone 5 that will make people want to sell their iPhone 4... i don't think this is it.

however, i don't know what is... the screen is beautiful, the camera is amazing, the processor is fast, and the form factor is sexy.

is a processor bump and RFID enough? it's unlikely that LTE will be in it.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

If this is going to be Apple's "revolutionary and magical" new feature for iphone 5...and people actually go all orgasmic over it, then something is clearly wrong with people.

This is the most gimmicky and useless "feature" I have ever heard of on a phone. Fine put it in there...I don't mind...but if they expect me to drop $200+ on a new phone over this new feature then they can keep waiting.

There are two main selling point for iPhone 5 that we know about already and like as not, Apple will be using one or both of them.

1) "Twice" - Twice as fast, twice the memory, twice the graphics, dual core. (Maybe this will be "iPhone 4s" as with the 3G model).

2) "Worldphone" - For the first time you can just buy the one phone and it will work virtually anywhere. It will be sold unlocked in the USA (as it already is in most other countries), and it might even be cheaper, so as to drive unlocked sales and bring the carriers to the bargaining table vis-a-vis their customers.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Japanese would love this.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

...It will be sold unlocked in the USA...

Whoa, there!

If I agree with everything else you say, will you stop talking about this complete nonsense*? We don't want people thinking the telecoms would actually care about users and allow something like this, do we?

*Not meant to be mean at all, just a point on how unlikely it is.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'd rather see them break up iTunes rather than add more stuff to it.

Maybe they should buy PayPal if they want to get in on the payment transaction business.

There is a need, in my opinion, to have transactions go in both directions. Both payments and receive payments for private individuals. Sort of like Bump with a payment. If you want to borrow $5 for lunch, I set my iPhone app to send $5 and and bump your iPhone. Voila, money in your RFID account.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    The real story is not about adding electronic payment capability to the iPhone or iPad, or even the iPod Touch. Apple is secretly working on an entirely new type of product - a game changer on the scale of the iPad. It will be a new smaller format device - thinner, lighter, but of course still be made in white plastic for that kitchen appliance look Steve treasures. Think plastic iBook but way way smaller. Way smaller. And much thinner. To keep the size down the display will be removed like the iPod shuffle, and there will be no buttons or keyboards. To save cost & weight it will have a minimal amount of data storage - just a magnetic strip along the back. Each device will have a unique serial number, similar to an Ethernet MAC address. This device called the "iCard" will be so small and thin it will fit in your wallet, so you can take it with you anywhere and use it to pay for goods and services. It will allow you to purchase items online as well, preferably through iTunes.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    It would be nice if Apple offered a RFID case that could be added to older iPhones to enable the same feature.

A simple finance app that allows you to track your spending would be nice as well.

I'm sure Starbucks will be on board.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

The real story is not about adding electronic payment capability to the iPhone or iPad, or even the iPod Touch. Apple is secretly working on an entirely new type of product - a game changer on the scale of the iPad. It will be a new smaller format device - thinner, lighter, but of course still be made in white plastic for that kitchen appliance look Steve treasures. Think plastic iBook but way way smaller. Way smaller. And much thinner. To keep the size down the display will be removed like the iPod shuffle, and there will be no buttons or keyboards. To save cost & weight it will have a minimal amount of data storage - just a magnetic strip along the back. Each device will have a unique serial number, similar to an Ethernet MAC address. This device called the "iCard" will be so small and thin it will fit in your wallet, so you can take it with you anywhere and use it to pay for goods and services. It will allow you to purchase items online as well, preferably through iTunes.

LOL. nicely played.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There are two main selling point for iPhone 5 that we know about already and like as not, Apple will be using one or both of them.

1) "Twice" - Twice as fast, twice the memory, twice the graphics, dual core. (Maybe this will be "iPhone 4s" as with the 3G model).

2) "Worldphone" - For the first time you can just buy the one phone and it will work virtually anywhere. It will be sold unlocked in the USA (as it already is in most other countries), and it might even be cheaper, so as to drive unlocked sales and bring the carriers to the bargaining table vis-a-vis their customers.

Those are good points.

I have been dithering as to the need for the "Twices" on the iPhone -- I can see the need on iPad2, but what would they be used for on the iPhone.?

I think there is one possibility that shows promise and the need. It is based around the AirPlay feature.

On today's iPhone or iPad, if you use AirPlay to stream video to AppleTV -- you lose the video on your iPad or iPhone (you see it momentarily when you scrub the file). No big deal, right -- the AppeTV is connected to the HDTV.

With the "Twice" capability, an iPhone or iPad could be robust enough to Play and AirPlay the video at the same time. This is a "nice to have" as you still can see the HDTV.

But, there are other ways to use AirPlay:

1) Erica Sadun has written some Mac Apps that allow you to AirPlay from a Mac to any device capable of receiving AirPlay -- AppleTV, iPhone, iPad, another Mac (even the same Mac).

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/20/airfl...y-data-server/

2) There is an app in the app store, AirView -- that allows an iPad or iPod to receive a video AirPlayed from another iPad or iPhone.

Now, this starts to get interesting -- If you can stream something, while at the same time, see (or play) what you are streaming.

Kinda' like FaceTime, except you don't want/need to see the other guy's face.

How would this be useful?

Well, say you have an iPhone and are using the camera to capture live video of an event. What if at the same time you are capturing, using the iPhone display as a viewfinder, you are AirPlay streaming the video in realtime to:

-- a nearby iPad (WiFi) to save and process in iMove;

-- a remote (3G) computer/TV/whatever to capture/display the live video.

Theoretically, you could See And Send live video from your iPhone to the Five O'clock News.

Then, there's the whole VR AR thing -- doing complex processing and screen overlays while viewing live scenes through the viewfinder of the camera (or overlaid on a video playback).

Hmmm.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Do you mean a credit card?
  • Reply 12 of 29
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Clearly, you don't go out much. This feature is the norm in Japan. Presuming you're here in the USA, it's naive to think that this feature is aimed squarely at the U.S. There are more people outside our country that would love to have that feature.

We don't have the infrastructure set up really to take advantage of it as easily as say credit / debit cards, but it would be nice to have something like that available as an option. It would be less things to carry on one's person.

Look beyond the confines of your own bubble.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwoot27 View Post

Do you mean a credit card?

You may have felt a slight breeze in your hair as if something were flying over your head, it was most likely the joke.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

... This is the most gimmicky and useless "feature" I have ever heard of on a phone. ...

You probably thought rotary dial phones were just fine. And analog cell phones with red LED digits were just all we would ever need. And that styluses and touchscreens on PDAs were "gimmicky." And that this whole internet thing was just a passing fad.

Well, hey, it's a free country. Keep on posting to pro-Apple sites like AppleInsider and help to drive traffic to them. We love it.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Clearly, you don't go out much. This feature is the norm in Japan. Presuming you're here in the USA, it's naive to think that this feature is aimed squarely at the U.S. There are more people outside our country that would love to have that feature.

We don't have the infrastructure set up really to take advantage of it as easily as say credit / debit cards, but it would be nice to have something like that available as an option. It would be less things to carry on one's person.

Look beyond the confines of your own bubble.

The way to get people to use this is to get regional transit authorities to use this. I believe many of the major US metropolitan areas are now using NFC contactless ticketing systems.

Here in the SF Bay Area, Clipper Card covers six transit agencies and is adding a seventh (VTA) shortly. It would be wonderful to have an RFID-equipped iPhone replace this card in my wallet.

That's actually how the service became popular in Japan. The Mobile FeliCa system incorporated Japan Railway East's Mobile Suica system.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

To save cost & weight it will have a minimal amount of data storage - just a magnetic strip along the back. Each device will have a unique serial number, similar to an Ethernet MAC address.

I know you're joking, but I'd like to take this space to point out just how *crazy insecure* magstripe cards are. I suspect the only reason why US banks haven't gone to smartcards is due to the presence of insurance programs that ultimately manage to wrap into FDIC, or some other mismanaged federal institution. Magstripe cards are (a) easy to counterfeit and (b) they have no form of public key security.

Where am I going with this? There are two kinds of RFID/NFC: the kind with smartcard encryption and the kind without. The iPhone (or any phone) is a natural platform to do secure payments, because the user can enter his pin on the phone, and it can be mutually authenticated with the public key that comes from the NFC system. In this scenario, you can expect credit card fraud to be made virtually extinct. But if US banks don't support the necessary smartcard features (and they won't unless they have to), then you have a security nightmare on your hands, possibly even worse than before.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Just say NO to Apple's newfound love for RFID/NFC SPYCHIPS!!! Demand devices without this abomination of people tracking! Not much different from being chipped like a dog!

Get educated: http://spychips.com

http://freedomtofascism.com.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Just say NO to Apple's newfound love for RFID/NFC SPYCHIPS!!! Demand devices without this abomination of people tracking! Not much different from being chipped like a dog!

Get educated: http://spychips.com

http://freedomtofascism.com.

There's no tin-foil hat emoticon. Imagine one here; can't be too hard with that creativity of yours.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Two thing I must have to use RFID payment.

1. Charges must go to my VISA account, with details. When, who, amount, ect,

2. Must be able to flow data to iBank, again with details.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Or consider this somthing is clearly wrong with the author of this message. By the way it might not be "revolutionary and magical" to you but it can be a life simplfies for many. As to the next iPhone I expect more than one improvement and is why I'm milking my 3G right now.

Quote:

This is the most gimmicky and useless "feature" I have ever heard of on a phone.

Then all those places in this world where such tech is common and readily accepted are crazy for using these "useless" features. How about this, admit that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:

Fine put it in there...I don't mind...but if they expect me to drop $200+ on a new phone over this new feature then they can keep waiting.

I doubt anybody at Apple expects much at all from you. Rather they are simply building in new features that a portion of their customer base is likely to use. This is likely just one of many improvements and like the stocks app isn't something to be concerned about if you don't use it. Consider this too; Apple builds iPhones for new customers not old ones. As an existing customer you can update when you please.

Besides I'd be surprised if the tech makes it into iPhone 5. It just seems like it is awfully late in the game to be hiring key personnel.