Google overtakes Nokia as maker of top smartphone platform

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 22 of 56
    DED should be forced to write this blog post. His spin on how this is good for Apple would be worth the laughs.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    Wake me up when:

1. developers stop developing for the iphone and develop exclusively for android.

or

2. iphone sales start to stall.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

You should really read more, Android has brought many innovations to the table that Apple used as well, including multi-tasking, folders, high-res displays, and many others. The original Droid was the first phone to use the gorilla glass used in the iPhone 4. Apple still has no answers to widgets, wifi-tethering (coming soon), or a secure way to use non-app store apps (little security for apps that aren't checked by apple). Plus the whole America argument is naive, both Google and apple are American companies and Apple has foxconn, a Taiwanese company, produce its iPhone in china. Even Motorola, another American company, produces its phones in Asia.

I do believe many people will choose high end android phones over the iPhone, however the past year has made it clear, people will buy the iPhone even if it has outdated hardware or missing features, so apple will always have higher profit margins. Just like with macs, the iPhone sells to people who don't need high end features but want to spend $200+ anyway. Cutting out features makes the user interface "simpler" and these users won't notice they're running year old hardware, in fact they get mad when new hardware comes out "too fast" as if they have to have the best. One of my iPhone using friends tell me that he doesn't like android because a new android phone would come out three months later making his phone "obsolete." There is a large group of people who actually think like this, and would rather not have new features if it meant their phone wouldn't be the top o' the line anymore. Its amazing.

iPhone will dominate casual users, Android will dominate everything else.

The iPhone doesn't always have the greatest hardware because it is on a yearly release cycle and there is always new tech released during that cycle. This is true for every manufacture that keeps a regular product release cycle -- it is not endemic to Apple only. As long as the phone continue to works fine and is regularly updated (oops, too bad for the Android phone) people don't much care when they're already tied to a contract.

Then there's also the problem of being able to manufacture the components fast enough. The iPhone is the best selling model in the world and has been since it was released. Apple has to make sure it can get the components it needs to build them. Attempting to use the newest thing extremely limits that ability.

Furthermore, if the OS isn't utilizing the hardware as best it can, then hardware specifications really don't mean much. Android is horrible at this compared to iOS, just look at how much more fluid and reactive the iOS interface is to Android, and that even when the iOS is running on a slower CPU and with less memory.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You should really read more, Android has brought many innovations to the table that Apple used as well, including multi-tasking, folders, high-res displays, and many others.

That?s not innovation, that?s progression. You?ll have to make an argument that Apple had no idea how to implement nor planned to implement these things. For example, Apple didn?t innovate the multi-touch capacitive touchscreen, but they were the first to use it widely in a shipping product that made it the only way for others to move forward.

Now, you can innovate methods for implementing these common and longstanding concepts, hence the patents we see from all CE companies, but simply being first to introduce some characteristic of a feature doesn?t make it innovative. Apple wasn?t first with copy/paste yet they are still the only one who does it right.

Quote:

The original Droid was the first phone to use the gorilla glass used in the iPhone 4.

Now you?ve moved into HW, not Android. On top of that Corning?s Gorilla Glass is a corning innovation, not a Motorola or Verizon innovation.

Quote:

Apple still has no answers to widgets, wifi-tethering (coming soon), or a secure way to use non-app store apps (little security for apps that aren't checked by apple).

So your argument is that to be successful you have to add as feature to a spec sheet as possible regardless of how well they work?

This graph illustrates the problem with simply having a feature in name but no regard how well that feature actually works.
    Quote:

Dominate can mean many things. Apple dominates smartphone mindshare. We know this because all other devices are compared to it, even when it?s nearly a year old. You never hear about Samsung Nexus S-killers, do you?

Apple dominates revenue and profits. Same for Macs. Just like with Macs they will not have the largest number of unit shares by OS, but that was never their objective, profit is, otherwise they would have given their OSes away long ago to better compete at that level.

Android will take the lion?s share of smartphone OSes, and likely the entire handset OS market several years from now. Who says that Symbian is dominate force in the handset market (outside of Symbian) simply because it?s a free, open source mobile OS for the masses of dumb phones.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:

... iPhone will dominate casual users, Android will dominate everything else.

That's pretty funny. The demographics who buy Android are:

* People on carriers that don't have the iPhone.

* People who get fast talked into buying Android instead of iPhone because it benefits the carrier when they do so.

* Apple hating psuedo geeks who (erroneously) believe that Android is open.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

* People who get fast talked into buying Android instead of iPhone because it benefits the carrier when they do so.

You forgot one....

People who prefer Android because you can do more with it...

For example you can USB tether without having to root (jailbreak) the phone for free.....

Flash might not be great, but it is nice to use it when the various web sites do not support alternative formats ( like almost every auto site ). I am a car junky...
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

"casual users" --um...that about describes 99% of the market. Those Apple hating pseudo geeks actually believe that they comp[rise the majority of the market, they are indeed the "rest"...the 1% who care about rooting their phones, custom ROMs, and a bunch other bullshit 99% of smartphone users don't want to waste their time on.

I have an original Droid...I think Android is fine. It has some things better than the iPhone, but there is no question which OS is far more of a pleasure to use. That's why I am switching to the iPhone on VZ, and I suspect a huge number of people will do the same. We had no choice, now we do.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    I would like clarification on what is meant by the term platform. I have more hardware centric interests than software and so might be displaying unreasonable bias in this question, however, I have never understood the term platform to refer to only the operating system of some computing device. Resorting to at least an accessible arbiter, Wikipedia, the term platform can be defined as:

A computing platform is some sort of hardware architecture and software framework (including application frameworks) that allows software to run. Typical platforms include a computer's architecture, operating system, programming languages and related user interface (runtime libraries or graphical user interface).

If this is a reasonable definition of the term, then Google is not the predominant platform vendor. Is it in a practical sense, even a platform vendor at all?

Further, if this definition is acceptable, should Apple, which produces both the hardware and software of their platform, be regarded as the top smartphone platform by a wide margin, given this heading, if it is true:

With just 4.2 percent of the global mobile phone market, Apple's iPhone accounts for a massive 51 percent of the total profits, a new report claims.

If the term platform has been unduly and incorrectly subverted to refer only to software, perhaps one could employ any definition that suits a desired journalistic or propaganda outcome. \
  • Reply 30 of 56
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    650% YoY growth. I wonder where Android will be in another 12 months.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

You forgot one....

For example you can USB tether without having to root (jailbreak) the phone for free.....

Flash might not be great, but it is nice to use it when the various web sites do not support alternative formats ( like almost every auto site ). I am a car junky...

I think you just proved my point.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

You forgot one....

Wait, isn't that a carrier decision?
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riley__ View Post

I don't understand how any American can support Google when they are helping Asian companies rip off the IP of innovative American companies. Android does nothing to help the American economy.

Android wins, America loses IMHO.

Supported.

In the rabid partisanship of the "fanboy" wars and the "anti-Apple is pro Android" fervour, no one seems to have noticed that the top cellular device vendor that sneaked into the top position a few days ago is ZTE, a maker of what are known as "white label" handsets.

As suspected and is now being confirmed, those 300,000 daily Android activations that Andy Rubin was crowing about recently are mainly in Asia, where the "bottom feeder" manufacturers have latched on to the free OS to their great benefit. "Other" is now listed as the top Android vendor by market share.

In its undignified and treacherous haste to secure for itself a future in the mobile market, a future that was already guaranteed ages ago, Google is unwittingly sowing the seeds of the destruction of one of its own country's greatest assets.

The race to the bottom has begun.

Peasants, start your engines...
  • Reply 34 of 56
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

In its undignified and treacherous haste to secure for itself a future in the mobile market, a future that was already guaranteed ages ago, Google is unwittingly sowing the seeds of the destruction of one of its own country's greatest assets.

The race to the bottom has begun.

Peasants, start your engines...

Asia and America. Android is at 50% in the US, higher than its worldwide %. I dont see the Asia figures broken out.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ffinder View Post

DIDN'T GARTNER SAY

ANDROID WILL OVERTAKE SYMBIAN

BY THE END OF 2014?

IT SEEMS IT HAPPENED A BIT EARLIER...

LIKE.. END OF 2010!!

WELL DONE GOOGLE!!

Now what's next?

February the 11th

Nokia embraces Android!!

(meanwhile microsoft cries outloud

cause their windows phone 7

with windows1.0 graphics

and 7000 apps failed to impress

despite $ GIGA $ marketing campaigns)

ff

No really, you may be right, Nokia may be just desperate enough to get sucked in by Google's trojan horse.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    So Apple sells phones with their own operating system for $625, and sells millions. Google gives away a shell operating system to handset makers for free for them to customize. They make their money on advertising. So you are bombarded with advertising all day long. Whoever coined the term android whores hit the nail on the head.

As far as Google 'innovations' are concerned, they have never developed anything. Everything the company has ever produced has been a copy of someone else's innovation.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:

You should really read more, Android has brought many innovations to the table that Apple used as well, including multi-tasking, folders, high-res displays, and many others. The original Droid was the first phone to use the gorilla glass used in the iPhone 4. Apple still has no answers to widgets, wifi-tethering (coming soon), or a secure way to use non-app store apps (little security for apps that aren't checked by apple). Plus the whole America argument is naive, both Google and apple are American companies and Apple has foxconn, a Taiwanese company, produce its iPhone in china. Even Motorola, another American company, produces its phones in Asia.

I do believe many people will choose high end android phones over the iPhone, however the past year has made it clear, people will buy the iPhone even if it has outdated hardware or missing features, so apple will always have higher profit margins. Just like with macs, the iPhone sells to people who don't need high end features but want to spend $200+ anyway. Cutting out features makes the user interface "simpler" and these users won't notice they're running year old hardware, in fact they get mad when new hardware comes out "too fast" as if they have to have the best. One of my iPhone using friends tell me that he doesn't like android because a new android phone would come out three months later making his phone "obsolete." There is a large group of people who actually think like this, and would rather not have new features if it meant their phone wouldn't be the top o' the line anymore. Its amazing.

Ahhhhh, shoot son. You just missed the train entirely didn't you? OSX already had mulit-tasking implemented - but it was disabled for iOS until Apple could ascertain the impact to battery life and then implemented in a way that made sense. Instead of course of the standard Android version which sucked the living crap out of the battery if you were careless or ignorant. Nuf said about that. Gorilla glass is fine for toughness but the tempered otical glass in the first three iPhones was fine - so your point being? Oh wait yeah it's front AND back on the iPhone not just the screen side. Ahhhh don't seen your droid phones leading the charge on that front. Fine. Let's just sit back and let the market sort itself out. Android can own the entire low end of the market and will when all is said and done most likely, unless Google gets bored and decides it likes ChromeOS better and boots Android to the curb.

See, Google ain't your best friend by driving Android - it's a means to their end. When they get bored or find out ChromeOS does what they want better, Android will be history - a lingering brief shiny moment in "open" and Google's foot into mobile ad revenue. But fans of Android keep losing track of those rather harsh realities. I stopped supporting Android when Google bought them. Because I knew that Google was buying that sweet little simple OS to dress it up and put it out on the street corner to generate ad revenue for them. And all my open source/FOSS friends went all slack-jawed and rubber-legged when they did that. You apparently are of the same naive ilk as they and welcome to your admiration - and the harsh reality that will hit when Google decides the sweet young thing isn't pulling in enough revenue for them.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Both Oracle and Google are US companies, and the case is far from proven.

So back on topic, where's the proof your allegation of international theft?

Google doesn't make phones, and Apple imports theirs from China. What was your point?

Who is talking about international theft? I was talking about IP. Obviously you have no idea what the hell IP even means.

Why do you love Google so much? It's a spyware company!
  • Reply 39 of 56
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

What else did anyone expect when you give your product away...

Just just proves people are whores for free stuff. People will take a few phone or highly subsidizes phone and share their personal information and and be blaster with ads just so they do not have to pay for the phone

This old canard again....from somebody who thinks that USA = the world. When will you ignorant yanks start to understand that a 'free' phone is not really free?

Can you please tell me where I can get an Android device for free WITHOUT a service contract. I'd like to know. I'd love a free phone.

And if you're going to talk about only on-contract pricing, well turns out you can get iPhones for free too:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/iPhone-finder

And for your line about ads, I've got one word for you: iAds.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted