Google overtakes Nokia as maker of top smartphone platform

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's pretty funny. The demographics who buy Android are:

* People on carriers that don't have the iPhone.

* People who get fast talked into buying Android instead of iPhone because it benefits the carrier when they do so.

* Apple hating psuedo geeks who (erroneously) believe that Android is open.

ok, let's see, from my sample of one (me), I have an android phone.

* I am on Vodafone NZ (the iPhone carrier)

* I choose to purchase this phone, I didn't purchase it to benefit anyone but myself (actually it was sold by a different carrier, unlocked phones are nice)

* I own several Macs, and iPods etc.

So you were wrong on all three counts. What about a forth option, something like,

* can't justify spending the extra NZ$1000 the 32GB iPhone 4 would have cost.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

ok, let's see, from my sample of one (me), I have an android phone.

* I am on Vodafone NZ (the iPhone carrier)

* I choose to purchase this phone, I didn't purchase it to benefit anyone but myself (actually it was sold by a different carrier, unlocked phones are nice)

* I own several Macs, and iPods etc.

So you were wrong on all three counts. What about a forth option, something like,

* can't justify spending the extra NZ$1000 the 32GB iPhone 4 would have cost.

Yep. APple need to reduce Margins.

I've been saying it all day :-)

( see my postings in the other thread)
  • Reply 43 of 56
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

As suspected and is now being confirmed, those 300,000 daily Android activations that Andy Rubin was crowing about recently are mainly in Asia, where the "bottom feeder" manufacturers have latched on to the free OS to their great benefit. "Other" is now listed as the top Android vendor by market share.

I had never heard of ZTE until a couple of days ago. Unless ZTE have the Android Market on their phones - and they can't have them without either licensing it from Google or pirating it, the 300,000 does not include ZTE phones. Given that they are #4 on the list they are obviously not a penny ante manufacturer. So I doubt they would pirate the Market at that scale. Perhaps someone from China may be able to answer whether ZTE phones come with the Market. If they don't have the Android Market, then the number of Android devices out there are much more than 300,000 per day.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Android = Yugo and Lada. People are putting big fog lights, faux sheepskin covers on and hanging furry dice from them. There will be an Android app to allow CB radio next.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yep. APple need to reduce Margins.

I've been saying it all day :-)

( see my postings in the other thread)

And why would Apple reduce margins? They are currently the most successful tech (and probably anything else) company on planet earth and people on this blog are telling them how they should run their business? IMHO I think they know what they are doing.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

While Android will most likely clean up the low end "feature phone" market, don't be too sure that iPhone is going to clean up the top end. There is no price difference between the high end Android phones and iPhone. And the high end Android phones have generally been better than the iPhone in hardware.

Correction, they have been better in specs. Most reviews I've seen from android phones, they are slow and have battery issues. But there is more to phones than specs.

Now of course I won't take anything for granted. Galaxy S is quite sucessful. But the most selling phone in the world right now is the iPhone. And I see nothing to change this state of affairs.

Quote:

People are going to decide based on OS/brand/features/value preference whether they will buy an Android or iPhone.

And most people will prefer the apple choice, just as they did with the iPod for almost a decade now. Fandroids are not as common as you think.

Quote:

No doubt most on this forum will choose iPhones. Many like me have decided to go with Android phones.

This is irrelevant. I have not an iPhone, and I don't care whether if you or this audience buys it or not. My comments are strictly of what I see out there. And the iPhone has an outstanding brand. Google still has to work very hard to beat it.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

This is completely expected news. Android will pause the surge a bit in this quarter due to the iPhone being carried by Verizon this February, but this is a global phenomenon, and as such, it seems unstoppable. The iPhone will win the top tier 400-600 dollar phone competition, and android will sweep the whole rest, just like what happens in the laptop business (with microsoft there for the masses).

With 80 bucks phones, android will have 70-80% market share in no time.

Fortunately, we won't have the same shenanigans we had in the nineties with MS, since android is a lot more open than windows, despite its shortcomings, and Google won't be able to monopolize the market, since there won't be interoperability issues, like there was in the 90s between windows and macs.

I think this is a good situation for almost everyone. Everyone will have a smartphone, the richer people will buy iPhones, the masses will buy android (the smartphone for the rest of us?! Ironic marketing piece, but possible!), everyone will have advanced internet access, e-reader devices, gamecenters, apps, etc.,etc.,etc.

Win win?

Good points, um, to a point. LOL. Android has phones that range from inexpensive to outright high-end. Look at the dual-core and LTE phones coming out within weeks. Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbird, LG phones, and more. They're very high end and cost up to $250 with features and specs that blow iPhone out of the water; I wouldn't call these smartphones for the masses. There are mid-range phones as well with fewer features than iPHone and then the "bargain" ones.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

Wake me up when:

1. developers stop developing for the iphone and develop exclusively for android.

or

2. iphone sales start to stall.

This is silly. Why would anyone stop developing for the iphone. Windows mobile has low marketshare and people still develop for them (not at rate of android or apple of course). Why do people make dumb statements like the one you did?.

2. Now you only care about iphone sales stalling?.. a couple of months ago, everyone cared about iphone marketshare.. i remember coming to this forum and reading how android is crap, blah, blah blah.. now you care about iphone sales stalling?. Is that all?. You funny.. you trying so hard to pretend that android overtaking apple does not effect you... i think you protest too much.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Quote:

Correction, they have been better in specs. Most reviews I've seen from android phones, they are slow and have battery issues. But there is more to phones than specs.

Now of course I won't take anything for granted. Galaxy S is quite sucessful. But the most selling phone in the world right now is the iPhone. And I see nothing to change this state of affairs.

And most people will prefer the apple choice, just as they did with the iPod for almost a decade now. Fandroids are not as common as you think.

This is irrelevant. I have not an iPhone, and I don't care whether if you or this audience buys it or not. My comments are strictly of what I see out there. And the iPhone has an outstanding brand. Google still has to work very hard to beat it.

Dude, Google has already beaten the iphone. They don't have to work hard to beat it, they have already beaten. It's called marketshare. As to a single phone beating the iPhone.. i think the HTC evo is better but that's just my opinion.

The problem with your metric is that you equate sales of a single device as proof of superiority. Suppose HTC makes a $50 dollar android that tops the iphone in sales.. would that persuade you?.. of course not.. To me, marketshare is everything.. just ask Bettamax.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:

I personally think the opposite is true. I can only speak of what I see in my area (New England, US), but I see about the same amount of Android-powered devices as iPhones (of various years models). And it's Android phones of all levels being used by all types of people. Most likely because Android run on phones of all price-points so everyone can find something to their liking in their budget.

Sure there are plenty of reasons why they have and Android device as opposed to an iPhone and you can argue until you're blue in the face to why. But at the end of the day, they still are using an Android device. I'm just stating my observations.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

I had never heard of ZTE until a couple of days ago. Unless ZTE have the Android Market on their phones - and they can't have them without either licensing it from Google or pirating it, the 300,000 does not include ZTE phones.

ZTE phones are often rebranded by carriers in the west. That's probably why you haven't heard of them before. Their phones do include Android Marketplace.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Dude, Google has already beaten the iphone. They don't have to work hard to beat it, they have already beaten. It's called marketshare. As to a single phone beating the iPhone.. i think the HTC evo is better but that's just my opinion.

The problem with your metric is that you equate sales of a single device as proof of superiority. Suppose HTC makes a $50 dollar android that tops the iphone in sales.. would that persuade you?.. of course not.. To me, marketshare is everything.. just ask Bettamax.

And, yet, Apple continues to take home a disproportionate amount of smartphone profits.

Beyond a certain lower limit, marketshare is for people who like measuring their penis: it may give you bragging rights but it won't necessarily get you laid.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

And, yet, Apple continues to take home a disproportionate amount of smartphone profits.

Beyond a certain lower limit, marketshare is for people who like measuring their penis: it may give you bragging rights but it won't necessarily get you laid.

Hmmm, yes, an argument to make when you are losing market share. I'm sure when Apple smartphone profits start dropping, you'll find another argument. Why, i remember just a few months ago when a few people in here used to brag about apple smartphone market share increasing, I especially remember all the death to RIM postings and even remember people saying that android could never take market share from apple and that Google is better off competing against RIM and Symbian cause they cannot beat apple.. you remember those arguments too??.. i sure do. What new standards will you come up with next year as android starts eating into apple profits, cause it will happen...
  • Reply 55 of 56
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member

C.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Hmmm, yes, an argument to make when you are losing market share. I'm sure when Apple smartphone profits start dropping, you'll find another argument. Why, i remember just a few months ago when a few people in here used to brag about apple smartphone market share increasing, I especially remember all the death to RIM postings and even remember people saying that android could never take market share from apple and that Google is better off competing against RIM and Symbian cause they cannot beat apple.. you remember those arguments too??.. i sure do. What new standards will you come up with next year as android starts eating into apple profits, cause it will happen...

I do remember those arguments but I have never seen marketshare os the most important metric. You see, when I invest in any business, I am interested in seeing them turn a profit. Apple does a good job of this. It remains to be seen how much profit will be taken from Apple by Android handset makers.

The way I see the game, Google and the carriers make money on Android. I expect that at least some of the handset makers will do okay but many will race to the bottom and find themselves making next to nothing.