Google Android counts include rival Chinese variants

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble, DED. The numbers are already in the Canalyis report, if you read it carefully.

Check the text of the report. http://www.canalys.com/pr/2011/r2011013.html

Also, see the number in the image, 33.3 million

So, with a little math: 33.3 - 32.9 miilion = 400,000 Chinese variants.

The problem is, why they conflate OMS and Tapas with Google in the table, and not in the text? Why not try to be consistent? This leads to confusion. Shouldn't reports with data and tables lead to clarity?
  • Reply 42 of 105
    For those who can't be bothered to read the original article:

Quote:

"Shipments of Android-based smart phones reached 32.9 million, while devices running Nokia?s Symbian platform...

Regardless of the discrepancy, I doubt they will account for the 17+ million lead Android has.

What I take from the results is easy. Apple sold a hell of a lot of phones and did great, while a bunch of OEMs sold Android as well.

Course DED will never admit the obvious.

Quote:

A new crop of tablets running Android 3.0 will deliver an entirely new user interface unfamiliar to existing Android smartphone users.

LG, another large Android licensee, recently noted that carriers have complained that the company's portfolio of phones delivered "too much Android."

Typical trash talk at the end of each article. Surprised he didn't add the whole stupid web pixel issue again of the galaxy tab.
  • Reply 43 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've seen plenty of it. android fanboys are, if anything, worse than Apple fanboys.

Are you for real? Or were you being ironic?
  • Reply 44 of 105
    Guess what. Who the hell cares? Daniel, can you not comprehend that this is not GOOGLE Insider? I came here for Apple news, believe it or not. Almost everything you post about has to do with your obsession with them. How about posting something about Apple for a change instead of a weasel article slamming Android? Totally unprofessional.
  • Reply 45 of 105
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    First of all, you can't put much stock in any of these reports. How many are there? Are any two of them ever the same? No.

However, the main issue at hand, regardless of actual numbers, is that Canalys is lumping OMS and Tapas OS along with Google, because it is based off of Android. That doesn't make any sense at all.

First of all, Android is an open source system, meaning anyone can take the code and modify it in anyway they want. The end result may not resemble Android in the least. Just because it was "based" off Android doesn't mean it is the same thing or does the same things. The Open Handset Alliance gives guidelines and regulations on whether you can call your version of the OS "Android" or not.

China Mobile's OMS is in fact a proprietary platform based off the Android code base. It doesn't support Google services and it can't run Android apps. All that stuff has been stripped out. Same thing with Tapas OS.

THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH GOOGLE!

That's the issue with the validity of this report. It doesn't matter if that amounts to just 100 units or 10 million units. They are wrong to lump those platforms together.

These reports love to group things together and people love to use the numbers presented to feel superior. The problem is they never show the bigger picture. It doesn't matter platform wise if more phones sell with Android vs. iOS. The iOS platform also includes iPod touch (+10 million), and iPad (+7 million). All totaled, that's almost 35 million iOS devices sold in the last quarter alone. I don't think, as an iPhone user, I have to worry about Apple fading into oblivion anytime soon.
  • Reply 46 of 105
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualaub2006 View Post

I LOVE the fact that Android gets so much attention at APPLE Insider.

Then your ideas about love are horrifically impoverished and you should seek other amusements.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Are you for real? Or were you being ironic?

Hmmm..... Apple Insider, teaming with belligerent Fandroids taking Apple to task. Android Central, teaming with belligerent Fandroids taking Apple to task. Every tech site on the web's comments: teaming with possibly mentally ill Fandroids bellowing threats at anyone unwise enough to speak well of Apple.

Yep, I think he was being for real.

If even a tiny fraction of the number of Apple bashers we get on this site starting posting at Android Central about how fucked up Google is, how lame the Android platform is, and how easily swayed by advertising the average Android user was, they would absolutely freak out. I doubt you'd get two posts into that line of thought before being banned.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    More proof that there's a lot of crap circulating around, and none of it runs iOS.

Whoring out your OS to any and all takers - right down to junk-purveyors, and then claiming market share gains when your lousy junk sells boatloads because it's cheap and features some poorly-implemented touchscreen is hardly impressive.

It's a lame, fragmented platform that isn't really making anyone any money except the carriers.

We're learning that profit-share is a much greater signifier of success than market-share.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    I guess they'll still count as market share, but markets like India and China look set to explode. There's a chance that global growth of "Android" devices could increasingly be a matter of regional customizations, largely cutting Google out of the picture.

And why not? If you have a free, customizable OS that allows you to keep subscribers services within your channels (instead of reverting to Google) and take any money to be had for yourself, it makes perfect sense. And if you're selling into a culture that might take pride in supporting a local variant, one that explicitly caters to local taste and custom, you might do very well with such a model.
  • Reply 50 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've seen plenty of it. android fanboys are, if anything, worse than Apple fanboys.

Every one (android fanboy) I meet was a Windows fanboy but seems to have switched, even saying MS is finished. The common denominator seems to be an anti Apple mentality more than a pro anything else as clearly there seems to be little loyalty to MS amongst those I know. I had lunch with one who claims Chrome will sweep Apple away.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

We're learning that profit-share is a much greater signifier of success than market-share.

I feel sorry for anyone just learning this - it's been at the heart of many successful businesses that did not dominate their market.

Marketshare does matter in that, if it goes below a certain amount (based on industry), it can lead to an unsustainable platform. I don't think Apple has anything to worry about in the near future.
  • Reply 52 of 105
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I guess they'll still count as market share, but markets like India and China look set to explode. There's a chance that global growth of "Android" devices could increasingly be a matter of regional customizations, largely cutting Google out of the picture.

And why not? If you have a free, customizable OS that allows you to keep subscribers services within your channels (instead of reverting to Google) and take any money to be had for yourself, it makes perfect sense. And if you're selling into a culture that might take pride in supporting a local variant, one that explicitly caters to local taste and custom, you might do very well with such a model.

It will be interesting to see how much we see Android forked based upon nationalistic bounds.
  • Reply 53 of 105
    It's not DED's fault if reality has a pro-Apple bias.
  • Reply 54 of 105
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    While I consider myself an advocate of open source, this spreading of Android to China is also a notable example of how Google is potentially destroying any opportunity, not just for itself, but for all Western companies, to compete in China against free software.

Google's counterfeit Java clone-iPhone OS, which it gives away in hopes of expanding its ad platform, does not benefit Google when it is simply appropriated to serve as an Android clone. But it will potentially kill markets for iPhones, RIM, Symbian and other Western companies in China.

We used to have export restrictions that limited encryption products or super computers from being sold to our enemies. Well China is a primary trade competitor. If Google gives away software (that the Chinese would not otherwise have been able to develop on their own, and let's get real, China can't write software), then Google is simply handing China the wealth of the West in a failed bid to spread its ads.

We can all stop crying for Foxconn employees, because our kids' kids will soon enough be working as Chinese slave labor. Thanks for sharing Google.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryV View Post

If Samsung can sell 2 million tablets and take a 20% market share from Apple in just 2 months, using Froyo 2.2, an OS that even Google said it was not meant for tablets, then imagine what the flood of Honeycomb Tablets will do to Apple. So I can see why the Apple people are trying to throw as much FUD as they can in this. Cause the fact is that Honeycomb will be introduced tomorrow with a flood of incredibly powerful and capable Android Tablets with an OS that was meant for tablets, start shipping this month. My prediction is that Android Tablets will have more than 50% market share by end of the year. The demand for Honeycomb tablets is just plain massive.

Dude ... Don't you read the news? Samsung admitted that the 2 million number was a lie and that the actual number of units sold to consumers was "quite small." In other words, the Galaxy Tab was a flop.
  • Reply 56 of 105
    Well, I knew as soon as I saw that AI had finally picked up on this story that the Android trolls who come here would be howling. An added bonus that they brought a few friends to howl along with them, and the DED haters are frantic too. Raw nerves hit all around.

The "Google*" numbers are clearly bogus and Canalys has some explaining to do.
  • Reply 57 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodaxl7 View Post

Where did you get 32.9 million? I see that it is 32.9% share. It is 33.3 mil shipped. Oh, did see the article saying Google shipped 32.9 mil. It is still unclear how that happen to ring in 32.9 % share, too. It is odd that these chinese phone company only sold 400,000 units for a population so great as china. I think Canalys need to clarify its results.

No, Canalys needs to hire a report writer who is capable of reading the table included in the report.
  • Reply 58 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Dude ... Don't you read the news? Samsung admitted that the 2 million number was a lie and that the actual number of units sold to consumers was "quite small." In other words, the Galaxy Tab was a flop.

Who's got time to read the news when you're busy rooting your phone so you can tweak the kernel. That's what makes Android great, no news is good news.
  • Reply 59 of 105
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lemuelinchrist View Post

Why do apple fantards give such a big deal out of this article? As what they always brag about, it's not about the market share. So why don't they just leave Android alone? Is it because they're jealous that Android stole the iphone's popularity away from them?

No matter how this article twist and turn the results, the truth is still clear. Android is simply becoming a more popular device no matter if Apple fans hate it.

I doubt it, the iPhone 4 is the #1 handset in the world by a fairly significant margin. Apple is in fact has a higher smartphone market share then any other manufacturer....
  • Reply 60 of 105
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

He is actually a pretty obvious troll