iPad 2 specs said to include HD video, 3MP camera, DisplayPort

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A report examining iOS 4.3 beta firmware concurs that the next iPad will be offered in three models (WiFi, 3G GSM/UMTS and 3G CDMA), but adds mention of a 3MP camera capable of 720p video recording, DisplayPort video output, and what appears to be a hardware battery gas gauge.

The report, by web developer Chris Galzerano, describes mention of three new iPad models designated as iPad2,1 iPad2,2 and iPad2,3, as well as a placeholder "iFPGA" model (a designation Apple uses to reference prototypes using a field-programmable gate array, which is a chip with functions that can be reprogrammed).

The report also noted plist files referencing 720p, a magnetometer (digital compass), DisplayPort (the video output system Apple has standardized on across its Macs, which is also used to output HDMI signals), and mention of "gas-gauge battery and multitasking-gestures."

One case design suggested the presence of a top facing port that could be the size of Apple's mini DisplayPort, potentially enabling iPad 2 to support HDMI video output in addition to the existing support for composite VGA.

Related to AVFoundation settings, the report noted that iPad 2 should be capable of recording VGA, 720p and iFrame, a reduced resolution 960x540 format created by Apple to deliver near HD quality H.264 video at much smaller video sizes.

The report also references 3MP camera connected to a device model referenced as N88. However, that model first appeared in a Chinese rumor from 2009 detailing the iPhone 3GS, which used a 3.2MP camera.

An independent report on iPad 2 maintains it will appear with 1MP rear camera and 0.3MP VGA front facing camera, the same configuration as the current iPod touch. In contrast, iPhone 4 uses a 5MP rear camera. The iPod touch 1MP camera (technically 0.7MP) is still capable of recording 720p video however, given its 960x720 resolution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    As to Display Port why would anyone want that on a tablet as opposed to a SD slot or USB port? Really that one I dont get at all.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1799929]A report examining iOS 4.3 beta firmware concurs that the next iPad will be offered in three models (WiFi, 3G GSM/UMTS and 3G CDMA), but adds mention of a 3MP camera capable of 720p video recording, DisplayPort video output, and what appears to be a hardware battery gas gauge.

The report also noted plist files referencing 720p, a magnetometer (digital compass), DisplayPort (the video output system Apple has standardized on across its Macs, which is also used to output HDMI signals), and mention of "gas-gauge battery and multitasking-gestures."

IS THE BATTERY A LIQUIDMETAL FUEL CELL?
  • Reply 3 of 74
    960x720 isn't 720p FYI.

720p video has a fixed frame width of 1280 or 1366 and a frame height of 720 or 768 (a lower frame height can result from cropping the black bars with non-16:9 video, but it is still 720p).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As to Display Port why would anyone want that on a tablet as opposed to a SD slot or USB port? Really that one I dont get at all.

Think business! Plus, they gotta compete with the PlayBook now, which has an HDMI port.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Quote:

cause people might want to use the ipad as a presentation device connected to a projector instead of logging a laptop around.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    can't wait till the iPad 2 coming out. would be paradise if it has retina display.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

cause people might want to use the ipad as a presentation device connected to a projector instead of logging a laptop around.

Yes, that would be very popular. Lord knows whenever someone plugs a Windows laptop in to a projector it seems to take them several minutes of fussing to get it working (in the meetings I go to at least).
  • Reply 7 of 74
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yes, that would be very popular. Lord knows whenever someone plugs a Windows laptop in to a projector it seems to take them several minutes of fussing to get it working (in the meetings I go to at least).

Haha, so true. Apple could make a fortune(well more money) selling a projector that 'just works'.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    What is people's obsession with the resolution in iPad - the resolution is fantastic, the screen is great. The device is held a foot from your face. It doesn't need a display upgrade. There are as many pixels on this ten inch screen as many seventeen inch laptops of five years ago - in half the space.

Colour's are beautiful, text is crisp and legible, games look amazing.

I'd prefer a faster processor and longer battery life. An increase to screen resolution would eat up processing power and drain the battery.

It's funny how people get hung up on these features when it's the last thing about the device that needs upgrading!
  • Reply 9 of 74
    Not that Apple would put light peak in yet - but the DisplayPort specs actually allows for them to do so, and they could actually use copper or light to do so. 1.1 offered support to devices which implemented alternative link layers link fiber optic.

Seeing as Apple basically pushed teir own version (mDP) - who'se to say Apple's not gone the route of choosing DP as the route to do LP?

Would be funny if iPad 2 could output 2x resolution, prior to getting a 2x resolution screen for iPad 3...
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Try

Apple Component AV Cable

Easily connect your iPod, iPhone, or iPad to the component video inputs on a TV. The cable also features audio and USB connectors.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDIOWarrior View Post

Try

Apple Component AV Cable

Easily connect your iPod, iPhone, or iPad to the component video inputs on a TV. The cable also features audio and USB connectors.

Video quality on the new Display Port is much higher. It's a single cable, too. Adapter available for HDMI.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

SD and USB can easily be added via dock connector, the connectors are relatively large and most people won't use them often. Display port is small and {I assume} can't be added via the 30-pin dock connector. Hopefully it'll show the whole display.

Shame it won't be a mag-safe mini DP.

Quote:

Try

Apple Component AV Cable

Yeah but at least at the TVs I've seen in the UK (and I've bought two new ones recently so looked at a lot!) HDMI and VGA is much more prevalent than Component (or Composite). The USB is a Type A plug so can't be used for connecting USB devices only charging or sync.

The AV Cable only shows photos and videos (although of course this is a deliberate software limit).
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Display port is small and {I assume} can't be added via the 30-pin dock connector. Hopefully it'll show the whole display.

It is small, and I don?t think it can be added to the 30-pin connector, but DP setup does allow for USB. It?s even 50% more throughput than USB 2.0.

Maybe it?s time, after 8 years, that Apple release the next step in secure, uniform iDevice Dock Connectors. Perhaps something with an integrated area for optical so it can smoothly make the transition from cooper to optical the way it made the transition from FW to USB without heavily impacting the user?s device.

Quote:

Shame it won't be a mag-safe mini DP.

I don?t think DP or mDP have a spec for a locking mechanism, but I don?t they disallow it either.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chase R View Post

Think business! Plus, they gotta compete with the PlayBook now, which has an HDMI port.

Businesses dont have displays compatible with the display port, just like more than 90% of consumers. If they are going to put a video out port, it should be HDMI, and it should have 7.1 audio support as well.

The iPad slick form factor quickly loses its appeal when you need to carry around a bag of adapters and non-standard cables. Real people use USB, HDMI, and SD cards. Very few people use display port or air print.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

What is people's obsession with the resolution in iPad - the resolution is fantastic, the screen is great. The device is held a foot from your face. It doesn't need a display upgrade. There are as many pixels on this ten inch screen as many seventeen inch laptops of five years ago - in half the space.

I'd prefer a faster processor and longer battery life. An increase to screen resolution would eat up processing power and drain the battery.

It's funny how people get hung up on these features when it's the last thing about the device that needs upgrading!

Perhaps you need glasses. When you put the iPad next to the iPhone 4 it looks horrible.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    Quote:

Try

Apple Component AV Cable

Yes there is a very slick solution. Carry bulky adapter cables to give you 1990's display out interfaces that are no longer included on many new display devices. Brilliant.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Haha, so true. Apple could make a fortune(well more money) selling a projector that 'just works'.

What I?d like is a device or adapter that plugs into a projector of my choice so I can use just the AppleTV, just the AirPort Express, or just a single other device once Apple releases iWork 11? with AirPlay. Right now, AirPlay to an AppleTV requires a router as an intermediate, but this could be overkill for many if they need to install a router in a conference or school room in order to AirPlay their presentations. This doubles the cost and adds a level of complexity to the setup. A device that will let you connect direct to it -and- output to a projector would be awesome.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

Most people here seem to be assuming that the display port is only for video out. What if it is for video in as well? While not huge, the iPad would make a nice external screen when not otherwise in use.

-kpluck
  • Reply 19 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

The display is nice for graphics but I can't concur about the text. It's certainly not crisp until you zoom in on it, which I find I do less on my iP4 than my iPad. I wouldn't call it a major gripe but I would jump on a higher resolution iPad in a second. Cameras, DisplayPort (just give me video output on AirPlay!), or weight reductions are all secondary upgrades compared to the screen for me.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

What I?d like is a device or adapter that plugs into a projector of my choice so I can use just the AppleTV, just the AirPort Express, or just a single other device once Apple releases iWork 11? with AirPlay. Right now, AirPlay to an AppleTV requires a router as an intermediate, but this could be overkill for many if they need to install a router in a conference or school room in order to AirPlay their presentations. This doubles the cost and adds a level of complexity to the setup. A device that will let you connect direct to it -and- output to a projector would be awesome.

A small HDMI to airplay adapter is actually a pretty good idea. It would elevate airplay from nearly useless to a reasonable solution. I would still want an HDMI port so I don't have to carry any adapters or cables, but the ability to present wirelessly might make carrying an adapter a viable choice.