54% of Verizon's Android, Blackberry users to switch to iPhone, survey says

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    I'm not really sure what there is to really celebrate about, this kind of smacks of schoolyard nyah nyah nayh stuff before anything actually happens. Personally, I like a strong Apple and like it to stay that way. But I also want very strong competition not only from android, but other players like rim, and nokia. It only benefits the end user in the end.
  • Reply 82 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I like a strong Apple and like it to stay that way.

Apple has demonstrated that they can't be trusted with strength. When their market share increased, their control-freak tendencies came out in full force. They've banned apps simply because of content, such as political cartoons or discussing other smartphones. They've made no pretense that this was done to protect customers from malware or spyware. I simply can't understand why the fanboys on this forum defend Apple. I wonder if they would be so quick to defend HP or Microsoft if they tried similar practices (imagine, say, Office Depot telling you what software you can use on a laptop you bought there).

Apple is abusing their marketshare. Consumers should vote with their feet, switch to another platform, and knock Apple down a peg or two. Barring that, I'm hopeful that the FTC will penalize Apple appropriately.
  • Reply 83 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Apple has demonstrated that they can't be trusted with strength. When their market share increased, their control-freak tendencies came out in full force. They've banned apps simply because of content, such as political cartoons or discussing other smartphones. They've made no pretense that this was done to protect customers from malware or spyware. I simply can't understand why the fanboys on this forum defend Apple. I wonder if they would be so quick to defend HP or Microsoft if they tried similar practices (imagine, say, Office Depot telling you what software you can use on a laptop you bought there).

Apple is abusing their marketshare. Consumers should vote with their feet, switch to another platform, and knock Apple down a peg or two. Barring that, I'm hopeful that the FTC will penalize Apple appropriately.

Well, in my view this isn't something specific to Apple at all. Any company, is going to leverage their strength to kill competition and control their platform. It's the nature of these companies. That's why I I would like to see companies I like remain a very strong force, but dominate totally as microsoft did for so long.
  • Reply 84 of 103
    Quote:

Well, in my view this isn't something specific to Apple at all. Any company, is going to leverage their strength to kill competition and control their platform.

That's not true. Look at Android. Google has a competing bookstore, but they haven't forced other ebook vendors to cripple their Android apps. In fact, it's possible to "de-Google" Android, and use Bing's or Yahoo's email, mapping, search, and navigation features.

Quote:

That's why I I would like to see companies I like remain a very strong force, but dominate totally as microsoft did for so long.

I'm certainly no fan of Microsoft, but even at their worst, they never tried stunts like this. Microsoft never tried to limit what apps a user could install on Windows. Why should Apple be allowed to do that for iOS? If I buy an Apple phone (and, in fact, I have), why can't I install the software I want? It's not Apple's phone; it's mine, I paid for it. This is an unprecedented power grab.
  • Reply 85 of 103
    Quote:

Yeah seriously.

Remember how much anti-trust trouble Microsoft has gotten for bundling IE with Windows? Not only does Apple do that with their own software, they'll downright forbid competing software on their most popular platform, iOS.

And then there's the whole issue with Flash. Apple swears that it's purely for security, for longer battery life, etc. etc. And you may even agree that Flash isn't good. But anyone with common sense knows the real reason Flash isn't on iOS: because it is a development platform that would allow applications to run on iOS that Apple can't control.

Apple these days is doing far worse things than Microsoft ever did in regards to anti-competitive behavior. This is a fact; it really can't be disputed, no matter how much you like the company's products (and hey, they make fine products).
  • Reply 86 of 103
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

Why don't you take your own advice and "vote with their feet, switch to another platform"? Then you would have no need to come here. Oh wait, yes you would, as you seem on a crusade of some sort. You need to educate the heathens.

Why not just move on to something you prefer and let those who prefer Apple products be? The markets will sort things out if the FTC or DOJ do not.
  • Reply 87 of 103
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voight-Kampff View Post

Apple these days is doing far worse things than Microsoft ever did in regards to anti-competitive behavior. This is a fact; it really can't be disputed, no matter how much you like the company's products (and hey, they make fine products).

It is apparently not yet fact enough for the DOJ or FTC to investigate so I would say it can be disputed.
  • Reply 88 of 103
    Quote:

That's not true. Look at Android. Google has a competing bookstore, but they haven't forced other ebook vendors to cripple their Android apps. In fact, it's possible to "de-Google" Android, and use Bing's or Yahoo's email, mapping, search, and navigation features.

I'm certainly no fan of Microsoft, but even at their worst, they never tried stunts like this. Microsoft never tried to limit what apps a user could install on Windows. Why should Apple be allowed to do that for iOS? If I buy an Apple phone (and, in fact, I have), why can't I install the software I want? It's not Apple's phone; it's mine, I paid for it. This is an unprecedented power grab.

This logic is no better than the one that says apple should have 98%. I don't feel this at all.

Microsoft tried the stunt of sucking real bad for a hell of a long time As far as unprecedented power grabs, that ain't exactly new.
  • Reply 89 of 103
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Yeah seriously.

Remember how much anti-trust trouble Microsoft has gotten for bundling IE with Windows? Not only does Apple do that with their own software, they'll downright forbid competing software on their most popular platform, iOS.

And then there's the whole issue with Flash. Apple swears that it's purely for security, for longer battery life, etc. etc. And you may even agree that Flash isn't good. But anyone with common sense knows the real reason Flash isn't on iOS: because it is a development platform that would allow applications to run on iOS that Apple can't control.

Yeah, as has been noted, when Apple controls 95% of the mobile OS market I'm sure the Justice Department will take a closer look.

Jesus Christ, the way some of you assholes carry on you'd think Apple was rounding people up at gunpoint and forcing iPhones on them. Just buy from a different vendor and shut the fuck up, already. Your endless whining is tiresome.
  • Reply 90 of 103
    Quote:

This logic is no better than the one that says apple should have 98%. I don't feel this at all.

Microsoft tried the stunt of sucking real bad for a hell of a long time As far as unprecedented power grabs, that ain't exactly new.

What? Would you care to respond to my point? Why should Apple be allowed to tell me what I can do with my own phone?
  • Reply 91 of 103
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Actually, you've failed completely to make a point. You've just made baseless insults about another platform.Your so-called evidence was a prototype that never shipped and a third-party app. Better brush up on your Google skills.

Is your standard reply to just ignore fact and then try to convince the weak of mind through baseless repetition? If so you are tight on track.

To the rest of us it kind of just shows your irrelevance.

Quote:

It's not just an app. It's an input method. Android is extremely extensible. In this case, Swype is integrated into the OS as a plugin, something that's not possible on iOS. Although ShapeWriter is no longer available, even when it was, you had to run it as a separate app. You couldn't use it in any app that you like. That's just one example of the sort of heavy-handed behavior Apple demonstrates with iOS.

ShapeWriter is only off the App Store because it was purchased by Nuance Inc. It will be back rebadged and submitted buy Nuance.

As for an OS level input plugin all I have to say is: Keylogger Heaven. Windows and OS X input services were even re-wickered to prevent this very basic security vulnerability. I'm glad the keyboard functionality on an OS-wide basis is limited to trusted OS vendor-only code. I have no idea how you will try to spin this one, but it is an incredibly dangerous capability in an unmonitored before posting store.
  • Reply 92 of 103
    Quote:

Yeah seriously.

No you don't need common sense for that, it was in the Apple letter to the FTC. Note the FTC left-off on Apple, meaning it is perfectly legal, above-board and in the open. Hardly the stuff of future problems, or are you conveniently mis-stating the facts to beat your anti-Apple drum?

Quote:

Do you own a game console or know anyone else who does? That flavor of vertical market is exactly why the FTC left Apple alone after the initial brouhaha. Apple eventually allowed a couple minor cross compiling apps which did faithfully generate correct Obj-C calls, one of which was a Flash cross compiler. But no Flash, and no third party APIs allowed, and that is explicitly OK with the FTC. That means it is not anti-competitive in the eyes of the agency which has the duty to make those determinations. Pretty cut-and-dried, no interpretation wiggle room left.

It's really pretty sad that youngsters these days have such poor memories of current events. Those who cannot remember their history are doomed to repeat it. I guess we have a lot of doomed detritus on these boards.
  • Reply 93 of 103
    Quote:

What? Would you care to respond to my point? Why should Apple be allowed to tell me what I can do with my own phone?

Apple doesn't. Why do you think they do?

If you want to modify it in any manner, you are entitled to. Once you modify it, Apple is no longer responsible for the warranty. It is a simple and very basic tradeoff that exists with every hardware product from any vendor that isn't leased.

What in the world makes you think Apple gives a rats-ass what you do with your own phone?

Posting software to reconfigure an Apple phone does leave the obviously OK area. If it is properly reverse engineered it is OK in the courts eyes. If it is modified Apple code, posting it would be a copyright issue. Posting directions and helper files of how to modify it would be fine as long as they don't contain any Apple code. I expect that's where the more established jailbreak groups are on the spectrum. Good for them if they are.

Based on that and almost three years of Apple co-existance with the jailbreakers, what would possibly think you are being forced to do anything or not do anything with your phone?

I'll assume you aren't an idiot and know all the above already. That means you are just posting like an an ass-hat and purposefully ignoring the real world so you can bash Apple and troll here.

If you want to deny acting like an ass-hat and trolling because you didn't know any of the above, you are the former.

Pick your poison smart guy.
  • Reply 94 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

If you want to modify it in any manner, you are entitled to. Once you modify it, Apple is no longer responsible for the warranty. It is a simple and very basic tradeoff that exists with every hardware product from any vendor that isn't leased.

What in the world makes you think Apple gives a rats-ass what you do with your own phone?

Posting software to reconfigure an Apple phone does leave the obviously OK area. If it is properly reverse engineered it is OK in the courts eyes. If it is modified Apple code, posting it would be a copyright issue. Posting directions and helper files of how to modify it would be fine as long as they don't contain any Apple code. I expect that's where the more established jailbreak groups are on the spectrum. Good for them if they are.

Based on that and almost three years of Apple co-existance with the jailbreakers, what would possibly think you are being forced to do anything or not do anything with your phone?

I'll assume you aren't an idiot and know all the above already. That means you are just posting like an an ass-hat and purposefully ignoring the real world so you can bash Apple and troll here.

If you want to deny acting like an ass-hat and trolling because you didn't know any of the above, you are the former.

What does any of this babble have to do with any of the posts I've made? You fanboys sure do love to contradict yourselves. When an Android user says that users are free to root their phone, they're dismissed as out-of-touch. Yet this is exactly what you're describing here. Jeesh.

My comments had to do with App Store policies. I'm still waiting for someone to defend them.
  • Reply 95 of 103
    Quote:

It's really pretty sad that youngsters these days have such poor memories of current events. Those who cannot remember their history are doomed to repeat it. I guess we have a lot of doomed detritus on these boards.

You mean like Apple fanboys? Fanboys sure do love to think of themselves as liberated, free-thinking, creative types. In my experience, they're the most mindless, conformist, follow-the-leader lemmings I've seen.

There was a point in time when Apple did some good work. Sadly, like most middle-aged boomers, they've now become the system they once sought to change.
  • Reply 96 of 103
    Quote:

I have no idea how you will try to spin this one, but it is an incredibly dangerous capability in an unmonitored before posting store.

There's no need to spin anything. IMEs like Swype or Swiftkey are clearly labeled as potentially dangerous, and the user if free to disable them at any time. If users choose to accept the risk, they're free to install whatever IME they wish.

Nice try at FUD, though.
  • Reply 97 of 103
    Quote:

There's no need to spin anything. IMEs like Swype or Swiftkey are clearly labeled as potentially dangerous, and the user if free to disable them at any time. If users choose to accept the risk, they're free to install whatever IME they wish.

Do you not see that this is a flaw in the Android concept as applied to the mass-market, and precisely why Apple has been so successful with its closed-market approach? The vast majority of users do not want to 'accept risks' when loading things onto their phone. They don't want it to be their responsibility to identify things which are 'potentially dangerous'. They want the phone manufacturer to do all of that for them, and only let them load onto their handset things which are going to work without opening up any security holes.

You are too obsessed with 'openness' and 'choice' as concepts to realise that in the real world, most users will take 'simplicity' over expanded choice any day. Of course, there are plenty of folk who are better-suited to Android. But you can't blame Apple for taking the mass-market approach.
  • Reply 98 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

The vast majority of users do not want to 'accept risks' when loading things onto their phone. They don't want it to be their responsibility to identify things which are 'potentially dangerous'. They want the phone manufacturer to do all of that for them, and only let them load onto their handset things which are going to work without opening up any security holes.

That's just not possible for anything approaching a general-purpose device. According to several studies, iOS apps leak personal information (as do many Android apps). And, seriously, who would trust a cellular provider to look out for their best interests? Is there anything in recent history that leads one to think that AT&T, Verizon, & co aren't out to screw over their customers whenever possible?

Further, Apple's App Store policies don't just restrict malware. Apple also (arbitrarily) blocks content they find inconvenient (such as iOS app about Android devices), or politically unacceptable (like the Mark Fiore cartoons or the Manhattan Declaration app). In each of these cases, Apple never claimed that the apps would steal personal information or crash the phone. The apps were bocked specifically because Apple objected to their content.
  • Reply 99 of 103
    i have a blackberry now and just upgraded to the iphone. i liked my blackberry til I got a software error with it over the summer....verizon fixed it, but ever since then it's been a complete piece of crap! it resets itself all the time, and whenever it resets itself, it completely drains the battery and comes back up as dead. Either that, or it never comes back up because the second it finishes re-booting itself, it just resets itself again and it's an ongoing process until I can plug it in.

hope my iphone is better!!
  • Reply 100 of 103
    And I quote for truth and your personal vexation:

Quote:

OK, here's the response:

Quote:

Quote:

What does any of this babble have to do with any of the posts I've made?

Oh, maybe I just answered question and contradicted your point quite directly at you own request. Interesting to see the trolls continue to try to wriggle out of their messes.

Quote:

You fanboys sure do love to contradict yourselves. When an Android user says that users are free to root their phone, they're dismissed as out-of-touch. Yet this is exactly what you're describing here. Jeesh.

My comments had to do with App Store policies. I'm still waiting for someone to defend them.

Now I do have to give you high marks for alternative realities. Your lack of ability to see what is in you face, and the fact poor, ad hom attack heavy modus operandi is only rivaled by a previous poster around here, the banned SpotOn. I would find it interesting, given the firmly established pattern of yours, to know if your posting IPs matched his.