Apple, Adobe, others join forces in software piracy lawsuit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has partnered with Adobe and other software makers to take on a Web-based vendor accused of selling stolen software via Craigslist and a private website.

Apple and Adobe are joined by Autodesk and Rosetta Stone in the complaint against Florida resident Edy Jean Dollisme and the website ultimatepcrepairs.webs.com. The lawsuit accuses Dollisme of selling pirated software via Craigslist and the "Ultimate PC Repairs" website.

"Defendant has used various Craigslist seller identities and contact information to advertise his products on that site," the complaint reads. "Defendant also operates as Ultimate PC Repairs through his own web page located at ultimatepcrepairs.webs.com (the 'Ultimate PC Website'), where he offers over eighty (80) software titles for sale."

Available on the site are a long list of applications for both PC and Mac, including Apple's iLife and iWork suites, Final Cut and Snow Leopard. Also listed are Adobe's Creative Suite, Acrobat, and Illustrator.

Listed for Windows are Autodesk and Autocad, as well as Rosetta Stone. Numerous other applications are listed on the website from software makers that are not parties in the lawsuit, including Microsoft Office, Quicken and others.

"Notably, some or all of the infringing copies distributed by Defendant were in the form of burned (i.e., 'homemade') DVD+R and CD-R media, with the titles handwritten in marker," the complaint reads.

The website advertises that "many more" software titles are available upon request, and applications can be purchased via PayPal. The site makes no mention of Dollisme, but notes that the "Ultimate PC Repairs" business serves Dade, Broward and West Palm Beach counties in South Florida.

Apple and the other plaintiffs hope to prove in court that Dollisme and his alleged "Ultimate PC Repairs" website have engaged in copyright infringement in violation of U.S. law. The companies would like to see the website shut down, and for Dollisme to pay damages.

The lawsuit was filed on Feb. 3 in a U.S. District Court in the District of Connecticut. Representing the companies is the law firm Roche Pia LLC of Shelton, Conn.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    See?! Who says Apple and Adobe can't work together?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    No arrest?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    This guy is an idiot
  • Reply 4 of 21
    What a moron. Where does he think he lives? China?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    There's a guy doing that here on Craigslist too. He comes to you and installs it on your computer.

Douche bag criminals!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    This is exactly why software cost so much $$$. If people would just legitimately pay for the software they use, it would bring down the cost for all.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Talk about a lazy criminal. At least print labels for the discs. A Sharpie?? Please...
  • Reply 8 of 21
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by un_plug View Post

This is exactly why software cost so much $$$. If people would just legitimately pay for the software they use, it would bring down the cost for all.

And it causes global warming too.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

That's where I see Apple's new Mac App Store having some potential. Cuts down on piracy (and distribution difficulties) enabling software companies to sell more copies for less money per unit.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

This guy is an idiot

And with a girls name strangely enough.

I'm guessing this is one "special" individual.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm guessing this is one "special" individual.

Its a french name. He may be hatian.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    on Craigs in Gainesville. They were just too blatant for words. Remember thinking to myself ... Wait til they catch up with his ass.

Evidently they have.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The person is a total and complete moron. I worked with Adobe's lawyers and Apple 3 years ago emailing them every Craigslist posting in Dallas. He also apparently rented out a small PC repair store in my area.

When I emailed him and asked him how he could offer Adobe CS3 for $99 when it's $1000 everywhere else. He said it was a special promotion with Adobe. I said, so if I come in there and buy it those disks are going to be genuine? He said yes. Then I said, do you mind if I bring a police officer with me? Never heard anything again.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's a guy's name, actually, except in the USA. Talk about a "special" country

Jean is the French equivalent of John, and a King's name...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    This guy is 90% of why my copy of Maya has such a pain in the ass DRM. (But having said which, I don't think you could pirate Maya just by burning a CD for somebody, unless you hacked the hell out of it.)
  • Reply 16 of 21
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The person is a total and complete moron. I worked with Adobe's lawyers and Apple 3 years ago emailing them every Craigslist posting in Dallas. He also apparently rented out a small PC repair store in my area.

When I emailed him and asked him how he could offer Adobe CS3 for $99 when it's $1000 everywhere else. He said it was a special promotion with Adobe. I said, so if I come in there and buy it those disks are going to be genuine? He said yes. Then I said, do you mind if I bring a police officer with me? Never heard anything again.

Thanks. That made me smile.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    There are many similar outfits on Craigslist.

It will be interesting if they maintained a customer database, and offer it as part of a settlement.

Caveat emptor.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

No arrest?

Since it is a civil case, not criminal, no one will get arrested.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Yes, and insurance went down once everyone was required to get it. My cable bill got cheaper once everyone got that too.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

That's where I see Apple's new Mac App Store having some potential. Cuts down on piracy (and distribution difficulties) enabling software companies to sell more copies for less money per unit.

Just like movies and TV shows and music and ... all have gotten less expensive in digital downloads. Mmm hmm....