Apple rumored to hold "small event" in March to usher in new iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voight-Kampff View Post

Like most Apple product updates, the iPad 2's biggest improvement, the camera, will just be something its predecessor should've had in the first place.

That explains why the iPad was such a pathetic failure.
  • Reply 22 of 98
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Of course it'll be a small event. I can already tell you what the iPad 2 will bring. Go ahead and bookmark this, as I guarantee most of these are right-on:

-It'll be a little lighter and thinner.

-Exact same resolution screen.

-Dual core processor.

-512MB of RAM instead of 256MB.

-Minor iOS update.

-Front facing camera (possibly rear one too).

Like most Apple product updates, the iPad 2's biggest improvement, the camera, will just be something its predecessor should've had in the first place.

Brilliant. Oh wait, only most? Well which ones will be wrong?
  • Reply 23 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That explains why the iPad was such a pathetic failure.

Hey there, no need to get all defensive on me. I said nothing negative about the iPad, or its success.

But we all know that the iPad 2 will have a front-facing camera for video chat, and we all know that Apple is going to advertise that fact and make a big deal about it, even though they defended its absence in the first iPad.
  • Reply 24 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The iPhone is the checkbook (sic), the iPad is the cash register. ...

People still use cheques?
  • Reply 25 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Define small.

Yes it is possible that Apple will hold an on campus local media event that is live streamed on their site. But that doesn't make the event anything to ignore, or give hint to some notion (as other sites are suggesting) that the upgrades will be puny. It is a way to save money and control leaks about the event date. Plus spring is a big time for large meetings and such and Apple might not want to deal with the hassle of booking an outside venue with tight schedules etc. It certainly wouldn't look good if it was leaked that Apple 'bullied' their way into access to wherever, pushing off another group, when they have another option in their own yard.

"Small" probably refers to the size of the venue.

They're probably tired of renting out the Moscone Center only to have to share the 802.11 spectrum with the inevitable 750 roaming wifi hotspots that people carry with them. Besides, the majority of people who see these events are seeing it over the Internet.
  • Reply 26 of 98
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Of course it'll be a small event. I can already tell you what the iPad 2 will bring. Go ahead and bookmark this, as I guarantee most of these are on.

How are you going to "guarantee" this?
  • Reply 27 of 98
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Serious question: In Canada, when you are ready to pay and leave the store, do you go to the chequestand and cheque out?

Not needling, I'd really like to know how you handle that.
  • Reply 28 of 98
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The iPad is Apple's new money making baby and holding a "small event" for it just doesn't make sense.

+1 Even if iPad2 is just a minor upgrade from the original iPad, Apple wouldn't slip in a change to a very hot major product category in a low key fashion.
  • Reply 29 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

I guess this means that cash and credit cards will be dead once you get to replace them with your pound and a half 10 inch big ipad to make payments!! It couldn't be more convenient!

Right, because that's the only thing NFC can be used for.
  • Reply 30 of 98
    No, no, no! They're Holding It Wrong?! Should be: Special event in February, iPad 2 launch in March!
  • Reply 31 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Quick question. What kind of account do you have at your bank? I have checking account and a savings account. When I use my VISA debit card the funds come out of my checking account. How does that work in Canada?
  • Reply 32 of 98
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    If Apple release iPad 2 initially for the US only, won't that tank sales of iPad 1 in the rest of the world?
  • Reply 33 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quick question. What kind of account do you have at your bank? I have checking account and a savings account. When I use my VISA debit card the funds come out of my checking account. How does that work in Canada?

Same way, only it's spell cheque rather than check. A check is what we do in a hockey game - a body check. We also have coloured money so when we drink Canadian beer we can tell the difference between a 5 and a 10 dollar bill.

And we spell rumour with a 'u'. Rumour, humour, colour. But igloo has no 'u', nor does Tim Horton's.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Same way, only it's spell cheque rather than check. A check is what we do in a hockey game - a body check. We also have coloured money so when we drink Canadian beer we can tell the difference between a 5 and a 10 dollar bill.

And we spell rumour with a 'u'. Rumour, humour, colour. But igloo has no 'u', nor does Tim Horton's.

Canada makes beer?
  • Reply 35 of 98
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    I'm nor sure what a "small event" means. Could mean that they will hold it on the Apple campus.

Personally, I am hoping this is not a small event because I am hoping there will be significant improvements in the iPad 2. But beyond that, if Steve can make this event it would be good to have a large audience and if he cannot, then we need to see others step into breach for large-scale announcements.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Given the age of the beta model and the intelligence of responding to the wave of honey-dripping droids on the way, I'm hoping for at least one whiz-bang thingie on the 2.

Nascent NFC with few apps or peripherals doesn't qualify to me, nor does adding the cams that all the clones will already have, tho' at least one is a checklist item, nor is cutting 2 or 3 ounces or adding 30 minutes of battery gonna blow the public away. But that upgraded screen most seem to think we're not gonna get yet would. Guess it depends on the economics.

But failng a major revamp of the HW, the bigger release of the year may well be the next version of iOS.

I don't believe Apple's publicly committed to a full up 5.x version in 2011 yet - or have they? But the size of the thing, its lack of too many legacy issues, relative immaturity, the burgeoning competition, etc., would seem to dictate that a real upgrade rather than a decimal point or three - in tandem with the Lion release - is both feasible and wise.

Some response to the "more than a wall of icons home screen" campaign by MOTO seems possible, and cutting the sync link to a PC seems inevitable in the next year or two - it's not only "so legacy," but I've already got a number of friends with no "computer" other than an iPhone - a trend that will only ramp up.

PS: FWIW, I've tons of friends with iPhones/Touches, a few with droids, many with Macbooks, but none to date with an iPad - and in fact, I was thinking about it, and I have yet to see an actual pad (Apple's or anyone's) in the wild. Not one. And I do roam various corners of both metro and suburban scenes including lots of coffee shops.

Have the demographics of the buyers really been broken down yet? If they're selling like hotcakes (and they clearly are), how come I haven't seen anyone eating breakfast??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

appleinsider "discovers" things like my european ancestors "discovered" america.

Good call out!
  • Reply 37 of 98
    Quote:

Of course it'll be a small event. I can already tell you what the iPad 2 will bring. Go ahead and bookmark this, as I guarantee most of these are right-on:

-It'll be a little lighter and thinner.

-Exact same resolution screen.

-Dual core processor.

-512MB of RAM instead of 256MB.

-Minor iOS update.

-Front facing camera (possibly rear one too).

Pretty safe bet when you list a bunch of things and the disqualify almost half of them by using the word most! LMAO!
  • Reply 38 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

LOL!!!
  • Reply 39 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Serious question: In Canada, when you are ready to pay and leave the store, do you go to the chequestand and cheque out?

Not needling, I'd really like to know how you handle that.

From wikipedia:

The spellings check, checque, and cheque were used interchangeably from the 17th century until the 20th century.[2] However, since the 19th century, the spelling cheque (from the French word chèque) has become standard for the financial instrument in the Commonwealth and Ireland, while check is used only for the verb "to verify", thus distinguishing the two definitions in writing.[nb 3]

In American English, the usual spelling for both is check.[4]

Cheque is a French word, so our spelling makes more sense. Mr. Noah Webster wanted to get rid of many spellings that didn't sound like they were spelled (words like slough, and words with u's in them, and et. al.) so thats why its different in America where Webster's dicitonary remained standard. In Britain and its colonies Jonson's dictionary remained the standard until the Oxford English Dictionary, which retained most spellings.

Also NB: when people say "check please" it comes from the idea that the cashier was checking your bill, so it has nothing to do with cheques or paying with them.
  • Reply 40 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

A thought about form factor and NFC. An iPhone or iPod Touch is a more convenient size to be carrying around when shopping. Not to rule out iPad 2, but let's be practical here.

NFC does far more that just payments. It lets you exchange small amounts of information without pairing (a problem with Bluetooth) or being on the same network (a problem with WiFi).

Bluetooth could do similar things that NFC could, but it requires that a user has it turned on all the time draining battery and thus isn't as passive as NFC.