• Reply 62 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Canada makes beer?

Take off, you hoser!

• Reply 63 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

With so many rumours floating about, many rather contradictory, it's obvious that Apple has done a great job of maintaining secrecy.

Yeah they have. It's impressive an organization that big, with so much focus on them, and with so many people and companies involved can maintain even a fraction of the secrecy they have.

Quote:

What saddens me is that you don't understand the rather tongue-in-cheek (should I say tongue-in-cheque) nature of my comment.

Some of my best relatives are proud US citizens and fine, intelligent, decent folks none the less. And I would gladly exchange Harper for Obama any day of the week. Sadly, right about now, many Americans are reading this and asking, who's Harper. More alarming, a smaller number - I certainly hope smaller - are asking, who's Obama.

Ah, I didn't read any factiousness in your post. Knowing the leaders of all other nations isn't important to the average person, and don't think it should be. For people outside the US to know about the US doesn't make the US dumb, it just shows the US is a bigger focus than other nations' politics.

For instance, even those that don't own Apple products will likely know the name of the CEO, yet how many of those people using Nokia products (still the most commonly sold handset) know the name of the CEO? How many people outside of Canada who love their BB know RiM's CEOs? Do more people in Canada know the name Steve Jobs or Mike Lazardis?

People know their national government officials to an extent but that knowledge drops off sharply as you move toward the local level? That's martial, and the US is still the most popular kid in class... for the time being.
  • Reply 64 of 98
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

appleinsider "discovers" things like my european ancestors "discovered" america.

I'd be careful with such analogies about who discovered America , the research is still on going on that one
  • Reply 65 of 98
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Yes, people still use "checks". We don't use 'cheques', because we aren't British and aren't influenced by the French language. You should know this professor.

Actually, the word was derived from the Persian's, and was originally 'چک' or "Chek/Chak" - (negotiable instrument instructing a financial institution to pay a specific amount of a specific currency from a specific demand account held in the maker/depositor's name with that institution.) Seems the American version would be more correct to me?

You should also know that America influences the English language, more than England does. This is a byproduct of the Hollywood/media influence. Turn on your TV, go to a movie theater or flip on the internet anywhere in the Commonwealth to see this.

We also don't stand in 'queues', have 'boots' in our cars, use 'slipways' or 'motorways', wear 'rubbers' on our feet, smoke 'fags', go to the 'theatre', drive 'lorries', etc...

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if NFC can replace the need for bluetooth. A huge market would open to include 3rd party hands free system and devices. Headphones, cash/pay points, hands free devices, remote car starter, etc...

I enjoyed this post (as a one time Brit). I would add that some words used here in the US that came from England early on are still used here while those same words have died out in England. Spelling evolves and we shouldn't get too hung up and pompous (note that 'u' survived lol) about what it 'correct'. Personally, I find really bad grammar worse than alternative spelling. Although I am as guilty as anyone of making errors.

On a lighter note I was amused to read the other day about how Warren G. Harding's mangling of 'normality' into 'normalcy' created a new word.

p.s. My only gripe about the US is the 'pint' of beer losing 4 fluid oz.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What have I done...

I was thinking the same thing, but it was actually the Prof what started it. But I'm glad he did. Slow news day. And I learned that cheque/check comes from Persian, which if true (I'll be looking that one up, believe me) makes it either closer to our common Indo-European heritage, or, wait for it, Arabic. I'll report on findings, if anyone's interested.

Back on topic, NFC sounds like the opening of a vast new technology, financed by how it reduces friction at the . . . checkout.
  • Reply 67 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Yeah they have. It's impressive an organization that big, with so much focus on them, and with so many people and companies involved can maintain even a fraction of the secrecy they have.

Ah, I didn't read any factiousness in your post. Knowing the leaders of all other nations isn't important to the average person, and don't think it should be. For people outside the US to know about the US doesn't make the US dumb, it just shows the US is a bigger focus than other nations' politics.

For instance, even those that don't own Apple products will likely know the name of the CEO, yet how many of those people using Nokia products (still the most commonly sold handset) know the name of the CEO? How many people outside of Canada who love their BB know RiM's CEOs? Do more people in Canada know the name Steve Jobs or Mike Lazardis?

People know their national government officials to an extent but that knowledge drops off sharply as you move toward the local level? That's martial, and the US is still the most popular kid in class... for the time being.

That's a valid point but it is a given that US citizens, generally speaking, do tend to be less aware of what goes on outside their borders than let's say the typical Canadian. I suppose that's to be expected because the US is the biggest player on the world stage at this time.
  • Reply 68 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theskeptic View Post

This could be a classic Apple move with them providing an entire payments ecosystem in one stroke. The iPad could be the core of a great point of sale system.

It's already being used that way.

On the NFC front, exploring likel means as a possible addition to the iPad 3. They have to sort out the tech and get various groups on board. Which will happen in time for the typical 'release all cool things for the iPhone first' game. So the iPhone 5 will have the same basic form, perhaps a faster processor, reduced glare glass, maybe more storage and a little better camera. And now NFC as the cool kid trick.

Quote:

Link?

He is perhaps referring to

http://www.starbucks.com/coffeehouse/mobile-apps/starbucks-card-mobile

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, everyone knows that the iPad failed because Apple's board hadn't published a succession plan.

So wrong and yet so right

Quote:

Here's what is reasonable to assume. There will be an iPad 2 introduced and going on sale by the end of April. This device is probably going to be lighter, have more power and more memory. No matter how capable, the device will be soundly criticized in the early going by many for what it hasn't added. Also reasonable to assume is that the device will likely go on sale within days of being introduced, not within weeks, and certainly not months.

Very reasonable assumptions. Although I would clarify the on sale comment with 'in the US'. Some countries just go th iPad and there is no cause to assume the red tape for a new version is covered. Or that Apple won roll out in groups due to demand. So some areas could have to wait at least 2-3 months to get it

Quote:

The question is, does Apple do a minor upgrade to ride out the coming year or go for the jugular by hauling out the heavy artillery sooner than later.

They will do some kind of upgrade because if they don't, the public will start to hold out for the other boys with their promises of cameras, faster processors etc. plus Apple has always been about constant small changes on a regular basis with the iOS stuff. Makes it easier to test and refine

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

+1 Even if iPad2 is just a minor upgrade from the original iPad, Apple wouldn't slip in a change to a very hot major product category in a low key fashion.

A small venue announcement isn't really low key when you are also live streaming and you have local press there with every tech blog reporting every word to all the tech boys stuck at work and secretly reading their twitter feeds when th boss isn't looking.

The same tech boys that cream their shorts ten times in five minutes when the online store goes down, or an event announcement is made. The same tech boys that treat unboxing videos and early reviews like it is the Super Bowl, World Series, World Cup and Olympics rolled into one.

Apple could send out a press release and post a couple of videos and The Boys will go blind, deaf and dumb reloading them all day and night. And possibly crash half the Internet in the process. AND then sell their grandmothers into white slavery to get whatever in the first hour of the first day. Even if only to write a scathing negative review on thei blog, return it and use the money to buy an onlien Russian bride (screw Granny)
  • Reply 69 of 98
    Quote:

That's a valid point but it is a given that US citizens, generally speaking, do tend to be less aware of what goes on outside their borders than let's say the typical Canadian. I suppose that's to be expected because the US is the biggest player on the world stage at this time.

Sure, it's all relative, but your comments seems to imply that Americans* are less aware of politics than other countries has no merit. The US is huge in a vast numbers of ways, for better or for worse, so a Nigerian who is aware of the US' head offcials doesn't mean he's smarter or more "political" than a US citizen who doesn't about the Nigerian government. Same goes for other areas, like entertainment. Around the world US entertaIners meld with that nation's entertainers. Only a few countries have successful make the cross over into e US mainstream and that seems to correlate to a similar language and culture.

* As in the only country that has word America in it, not referring to the Western hemisphere.
  • Reply 70 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

So many u's from a people who pronounce "about" as "a-BOOT" ...

Those are the Brits that use that pronunciation.

The biggest reason for the letter u being dropped from many words, especially in publications like newspapers, is because of spell checkers. (not spell chequers)
  • Reply 71 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I enjoyed this post (as a one time Brit) ....

p.s. My only gripe about the US is the 'pint' of beer losing 4 fluid oz.

Would that be 4 US oz or imp oz?

40 imp oz = 1 imp quart

32 US oz = 1 US quart

4 pints per quart

4 quarts per gallon so

160 imp oz = 1 imp gallon

128 US oz = 1 US gallon

100 imp gallons = 120 US gallons

and to confuse some more

3.8 liters = 1 US gallon

4.5 litres = 1 imp gallon

I think I need a beer.

I need a beer.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

So many u's from a people who pronounce "about" as "a-BOOT" ...

Untrue!!!1!111

There are three relevant phonemes in canadian English

Ow - as in how now brown cow

Ou - as in house, mouse, trout, and the infamous about

Oo - as in moose, true, and Labatt Blue

American English is impoverished in reducing this to two sounds, collapsing the first two categories together :b
  • Reply 73 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

I think I need a beer.

I need a beer.

A case of two-four eh
  • Reply 74 of 98
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Anyone have word on whether an embedded NFC could be completely disabled by the owner? Otherwise it's something I'll never purchase.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

Imagine going up to vending machine, say, and buying a snack there and charging it via your iPhone to your iTunes account. Even 0.5% per transaction could be huge.

And imagine going up to a vending machine, buying a snack with your NFC, and having every aspect of that transaction logged, added to your personal profile and sold to marketers. Who you are, where you are, what time it is, are you there every day at that time, what else do you buy there.... That part isn't an IF, but a WHEN. Eventually, if legislation concerning RFID usage for tracking doesn't happen, not only every transaction, but every physical movement you make will be trackable. Instead of knee-jerk "tinfoil hat" comments, people should read up on what's happening, because it will take pressure from consumers to keep this technology in check (cheque! ;-) ). This technology provides the potential for new conveniences, but privacy protections need to be built in from the start.

One doesn't have to be a gub'mint conspiracy theorist to see that massive personal profiling is already happening online. These companies use every tool available, including ignorance, apathy and deception. Personal profiles are incredibly valuable, and because (virtually) all companies are motivated by profit, they will take advantage of whatever data they are allowed to use. This trend will push to the offline world if we allow it.

Sadly, whether or not you care about being tracked and profiled depends mostly on your generation. Obviously if you're a foursquare user, you don't give a shit, and don't care about people knowing you're not home, etc. (see: pleaserobme.com, hope you don't have a family) At least with Foursquare you can decide to participate or not by turning it off, but if/when RFID tags are embedded in our clothing and/or in our phones, all bets are off. That means kids would be tracked as well, which is beyond creepy. And yes, these things can easily be read at a distance, with custom hardware.

Some efforts to embed RFID in clothing have thus far been thwarted by public education, i.e. the Benneton boycott. Walmart is a huge proponent of RFID, and was planning to embed in various clothing, but appears to have switched, for now, to putting them on removable tags. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...061198090.html (anyone have more info on the current status of this?)

For a commonsense (non-fanatical) review of location-based privacy issues, read this:

http://www.eff.org/wp/locational-privacy

And this, if you think using "anonymous" numeric IDs are really anonymous:

http://epic.org/privacy/reidentification/

Everyone should read and understand these basic issues, no matter your level of participation.

Bottom line is that when you combine wireless tracking with object(s) that are on your person at all times containing your identity (iPhone, driver's license in some states), it opens up many kinds of misuse and abuse.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    Quote:

Sure, it's all relative, but your comments seems to imply that Americans* are less aware of politics than other countries has no merit. The US is huge in a vast numbers of ways, for better or for worse, so a Nigerian who is aware of the US' head offcials doesn't mean he's smarter or more "political" than a US citizen who doesn't about the Nigerian government.

um, there is another possibility, apparently difficult for Americans (or as I like to call them, Great Satan-ers) to conceive:

People outside the US know more about the rest of the world, where "rest of the world" does not mean "the USA"

Ps seriously I love the States - it's fascinating and rich in history - but there's no question it's gotta be the most self-absorbed place on earth
  • Reply 76 of 98
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    enough with the off-topic meta-discussion already. nobody cares about how words are spelled in other countries. talk about apple stuff or GTFO.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    "small event" for Large iPad?

Hmmm.... sounds fishy.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voight-Kampff View Post

We all know that the iPad 2 will have a front-facing camera for video chat, and we all know that Apple is going to advertise that fact and make a big deal about it, even though they defended its absence in the first iPad.

I think that's a fair point. I won't use the cameras, myself. The thing Apple won't talk about will be the most important update - the RAM increase. RAM, lighter, SD-Card slot, in that order. That's what I would like.

What I'm looking forward to is iOS 5. Specifically the redesigned notification system and hopefull a Safari File Browser. We need the ability to upload photos directly from Safari. There's no getting around this fact. It holds the iPad back like nothing else. It'd be nice not having to explain to my brother why the iPad can't upload photos from Safari when he asks me after buying it from me.
  • Reply 79 of 98
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

"small event" for Large iPad?

Hmmm.... sounds fishy.

Yeah, small event at the Apple campus with the key journalists of the world and broadcast live on the homepage of Apple.com. It doesn't get much smaller than that, haha.
  • Reply 80 of 98
    Quote:

Sure, it's all relative, but your comments seems to imply that Americans* are less aware of politics than other countries has no merit. The US is huge in a vast numbers of ways, for better or for worse, so a Nigerian who is aware of the US' head offcials doesn't mean he's smarter or more "political" than a US citizen who doesn't about the Nigerian government. Same goes for other areas, like entertainment. Around the world US entertaIners meld with that nation's entertainers. Only a few countries have successful make the cross over into e US mainstream and that seems to correlate to a similar language and culture.

* As in the only country that has word America in it, not referring to the Western hemisphere.

It's impossible to make valid blanket statements about something like this because you're really talking about a vast range of individuals in any country, some politically aware and others not so much. There is this perception, though, that there's a typical American who is rather disinterested in politics that do not directly impact on the US and who have a rather insulated, faulty notion of what goes on outside of the US. There is this impression that some give that if it doesn't involve the US, it's not worth bothering over.

Sadly, I do think that in any country you have a vast number of otherwise intelligent people who are politically out to lunch. They are easily manipulated and believe a lot of outrageous baloney because a lack of knowledge and understanding of the ways of the world can lead to believing what they would otherwise sense immediately does not add up. It's hard to get people to pay attention unless they think it's important to them on a very basic level. It's all just so much detail and best ignored. Ignorance is the greatest threat to a properly functioning democratic system.

In any case, this is not the place for this stuff. Sorry for the digression.

Bring on the new iPad. I'll be waiting to buy one and get rid of a rather frustrating netbook. The sooner the better.