Georgia state senator hopes to replace schoolbooks with iPads

Comments

• Reply 121 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

How do you know that carrying some books around as an adolescent will cause life-long back problems?

It's not *some* books, it's the excessive amount I see my children carry.

The texts I carried in university contributed to my back issues
  • Reply 122 of 159
    They should already have them since the iPad has been out almost a year now. Why did it take them so long to make this decision ?

Can you just image some school board actually choosing one of the cheap plastic android tabs, i mean like man that thing will be cracked on the first day fo sho.

At least they make the correct tablet decision (finally) and went with the "industrial grade" iPad instead of one of the cheaper quality tablets that are flooding the market.

Since the iPad now has deep penetration in Corporate America (more than 80 of Fortune 100 companies are iPad enabled IT departments) in makes sense to train the kids on the machine they will find at work a few years later.

What I really need to see is the State(s) mandate the iPad 2 for ALL STATE PUBLIC SCHOOLS for the sake of the children ! We don't want to lose another generation of youth do we.

There is "smart" and then there is "iPad Smart", which do you wanna be. The iPad Smart student will have a superior chance to pass all exams and to shape the minds of today's youth as only Apple can. There can be no debate about this.

Actually, I would go as far as preventing any student from receiving a High Shcool Diploma if he/she was iPad Challenged. This would send a clear message to independent school districts to iPad UP.
  • Reply 123 of 159
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    This scheme is excellent news - for China.

While the rich, wealth and gadget obsessed US, thinks that better education will flow from gadgets and money, China will continue to use blackboards, chalk, pencils, paper and books and turn out students that outperform and excel.
  • Reply 124 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

Invest in one of those rolling backpacks.

Regarding staring at bright lcd screens-I agree with you. I just bought a ipod touch and started reading on it. It hurt my eyes. I so much prefer my old Palm PDA.

Rolling backpacks are great, if kids will use them. Now, I just asked children from 3 shools if anyone uses them, and no one does.

When I travel, all my luggage has wheels.

One problem with rolling wheels is in the winter. The suck in the winter.
  • Reply 125 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

While the rich, wealth and gadget obsessed US, thinks that better education will flow from gadgets and money, China will continue to use blackboards, chalk, pencils, paper and books and turn out students that outperform and excel.

Excellent point cnocbui...although I like the iPad....I wish American schools would just adopt a model that is proven. Say South Korea's, Singapore, England's or even Canada's....Just start with the next gen of kindergartners and move them through the next 12 years implementing along the way each successive grade.

Concentrate on math, reading, writing and science. And uniforms and separating the sexes. I mean America is so intent on "reinventing" education when the top curriculums are already out there! You don't an excellent "motivated" teacher to teach 1st graders math!

Best
  • Reply 126 of 159
    hahahahahahahhhahahahahaha!!!!!!!

All that video of students typing on the iPad. They dont show the majority of students typing on computers because they are done with their work and out having fun, while these iDorks finger peck on a iPad. Good stuff.
  • Reply 127 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

How do you go about deploying iPads into the school system across thousands (or even millions) of students?

How do you handle new app installations, app updates, security patches, iOS updates etc?

How do you lock them down, prevent app installation, app deletion, changes to settings, and make them less attractive to steal?

The iPad isn't the right kind of device for this type of deployment.

It could be changed to be more suited though.

Think about an "Enterprise" iPad. Same thing but with a hardware based encryption and administrative lock (so it can't simply be stolen and reflashed), centrally managed so new apps, app updates and iOS updates can app be pushed out OTA.

You obviously don't know much about iOS devices and Apple's Configuration Utility for centrally managing large numbers of iOS devices. Ignorance isn't bliss.
  • Reply 128 of 159
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:

I think there is a point where you can push technology too far. I agree, I think at this point iPad's for every student is excessive and I doubt very much that it will be less expensive than conventional text books. That being said there are a lot of innovative ways to teach with technology. There are ways of interacting with the students which make teaching and learning more fun and affective. Exposing our youth to technology will aid them in using it in their day to day lives to make themselves more productive when they go out in the business world. I think schools just need to find a happy medium.
  • Reply 129 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

No I'm a programmer,

Good for you! Vim or Emacs?
  • Reply 130 of 159
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This is a good idea.

The school textbook industry is huge. Imagine the costs for text books provided to a student for many years until completion.

A student could have all of them on their iPad. Mistakes in text books and new editions could be instantly and cheaply fixed. The people who make and sell the text books would probably be against the iPad as this would be a huge blow to them, but that's the price of progress. You have to move with the times or you will find yourself irrelevant and obsolete.
  • Reply 131 of 159
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

There's no doubt that the US education system can be improved upon in various ways, but Chinese people don't exactly have much to show for all their hard work.

People make peanuts over there. China is still a developing country in many ways.
  • Reply 132 of 159
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post

Drop a school book, it gets a scuff mark. Drop an iPad, you lose ALL of your text books. Not a good idea for school kids.

Um-m-m-m-m, completely and totally wrong. Break your iPad? Log into iBooks with the replacement and redownload the book Next dumb statement?
  • Reply 133 of 159
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    This news is wonderful to read and if even 1/4 of the plans actually occur iPad sales in 2011 and beyond will be off the already inflated charts! As for an Android tablet? It'll be highly unlikely... Why? For the same exact reason you can't just go out and buy an "android phone case" like you can an iPhone 4 case sure android is everywhere but in every shape and size under the sun so unless the android phone you own is extremely popular you'll have a very limited selection of accessories. Likewise,,20 randomly spec'd tablets from 15 manufacturers just don't have the cred or resources to pull something off as big as the potential the iPad has going for it for example how much university courseware is available via googles android store?

Also I can't help but be reminded of a really great quote...

Any teacher that can be replaced by a machine should be!

- Arthur C Clarke
  • Reply 134 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acorn.alert View Post

Good for you! Vim or Emacs?

TextMate by MacroMates.

I've used VI when editing online files, but I've never become comfortable with it.
  • Reply 135 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Excellent point cnocbui...although I like the iPad....I wish American schools would just adopt a model that is proven. Say South Korea's, Singapore, England's or even Canada's....

IMO the Canadian system is worse now than it was when I went to school. Phonics is gone. No more breaking words into syllables, learn the "rules" and the exceptions, and no reading for comprehension tests.

And, according to my parents, school was more challenging and focused on the basics when they went.

Now heaven forbid you go into a variety store when the cash register is down. Most can't even figure out 10% of two bucks.
  • Reply 136 of 159
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    The real opportunity isn't just the textbooks, but the overall learning experience. Tests, reports, etc.

If you push the envelope a little, there is actually a very cool value proposition.
  • Reply 137 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, but you're just plain wrong.

I have a PhD in science. I understand how to observe the world and reach conclusions.

There are two possibilities:

1. Intelligent design is wrong

2. Intelligent design is right. However, for that to be true, God would have had to have created the world:

- with exactly the right fraction of radioactive isotopes decayed in exactly the percentage to look like the universe is 10 billion years old

- created distant quasars and galaxies - with photons already on there way here looking like they were billions of light years away

- intentionally distorted the photons to look like the galaxies are moving away from us at high speed

- created all the different species with DNA that is so much alike - and with all the different species falling onto a tree where each branch shares most of its DNA with the branch below it

- created a fossil record of dinosaurs and other animals that never could have existed (according to Genesis, the written record is almost equal to the amount of time that Man has been on earth - and there has never, ever been a record of anyone seeing a dinosaur)

- and literally millions of other data points where God must have created the world to look like evolution exists and the planetary systems developed over billions of years

That leads to one of the following conclusions:

1. There is no God

2. There is a God, but the biblical stories are not historically accurate in any way

3. God exists and created the world in 7 days as in the bible - BUT HE INTENTIONALLY SET OUT TO TRICK US. This requires a God who gives us human intelligence - but wants to punish us for using it. But that's counter to everything in the bible about God loving us

Your option just doesn't make any sense to anyone with even a shred of rationality. The scientific facts are readily observable to anyone who cares to take the time to learn something. You can't simply wave your hand and say 'science is wrong' - which is what 'Intelligent Design' attempts to do.

A human being is TINIER than a molecule when the vastness of the the whole universe is taken into consideration. If that is so, how much smaller is his mind ..and his/her title after his/her name?

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD." - Isaiah 55:8
  • Reply 138 of 159
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwiztdWun View Post

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. So, your state as well as many other states is in a financial crisis and you want to spend crazy amounts of money to give all the middle schoolers iPads.

I don't know about middle schools or high schools.

I teach at the largest college in the US, Miami-Dade College: 177, 000 students.. Right now, many books cost about $100, more or less, and if the student is taking five courses, do the math. Yes, the iPads will cost about $500, but will cover all the books the student needs. When new info is available, the iPad can be updated without buying a new book. The second, third and fourth years, the cost for upgrading to new iPad books will be much less. I see a win-win situation here.

I don't understand why there's any contention here. I'm assuming the cost of public school books will eventually reach those prices, too.
  • Reply 139 of 159
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

A human being is TINIER than a molecule when the vastness of the the whole universe is taken into consideration. If that is so, how much smaller is his mind ..and his/her title after his/her name?

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD." - Isaiah 55:8

There are more than 730 established Religions in the world which are broken out into more the 3200 different sects. Christianity, for example is one of the major religions but has more than 200 sub sects, each with their own unique traditions and interpretations of the bible.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...#ixzz1DF302I5X

All religious people seem to think that their religion is the one true religion; common sense tells you that that cannot be true. Quoting the Judeo/Christian bible to back your claims is just as inane as thinking yours is the one true religion.
  • Reply 140 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

There are more than 730 established Religions in the world which are broken out into more the 3200 different sects. Christianity, for example is one of the major religions but has more than 200 sub sects, each with their own unique traditions and interpretations of the bible.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...#ixzz1DF302I5X

All religious people seem to think that their religion is the one true religion; common sense tells you that that cannot be true. Quoting the Judeo/Christian bible to back your claims is just as inane as thinking yours is the one true religion.

Nowhere in my post that I mentioned my religion. If people cannot comprehend a simple statememnt with very few lines and written in a language that is universally understood, how much more they can understand a scientific concept or theory which will take years to be proven true or false?