Verizon iPhone 4 uses world mode MDM6600 Qualcomm baseband

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

China is heavily vested in CDMA. There is another place that Apple is missing out on many potential customers.

Yep, I have mentioned several times that I expect that Apple will announce a deal with China Telecom before they address the Sprint market here in the US.

But my point above is all about whether it makes financial sense to include world-mode radios. It appears Qualcomm may have made it worth Apple's while - probably the result of being prepaid with some of that $3.9B.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, but only a tiny portion of folks even try to sell their old phone and mostly they are unsuccessful at that.

Besides which, if you get into the electronics selling business, you have to know what you're doing so those that don't know about such things probably shouldn't be doing it.

After my original iPhone had migrated down to the lowest member of the family hierarchy, I advertised it on Craig's List and had multiple inquiries very quickly. I sold it to an Asian guy for his daughter in the parking lot of a local eatery within a couple of days.

I'm no expert, but it was quick and easy. We intend to do this again as all family phones will shift downward with the purchase of my new iPhone 5 later this year.

BTW, I was dubious of his "daughter" story. Almost all callers had Asian accents or Asian names. This was before sales began in China. I suspect my phone was exported in a carton along with many others as a part of this cottage business.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:

China is heavily vested in CDMA. There is another place that Apple is missing out on many potential customers.

CDMA is their least invested technology. It?s certainly a market Apple can tap, but compared to UMTS and TD-SCDMA it?s tiny.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    rd68krd68k Posts: 16member
    We are witnessing a new A4 CPU Version in iPhone 4 CDMA:

- different Apple PoP part number 339S0123 (original iPhone 4: 339S0108)

- different Samsung DRAM incorporated K4265J1PB-50-F (original iPhone 4: K4X4G643GB)

- same processor SoC die marked as APL0398
  • Reply 45 of 76
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

The MDM6600?: supports HSPA+ data rates of up to 14.4 Mbps and CDMA2000® 1xEV-DO Rev. A/Rev. B so if Verizon does upgrade the towers you can get simultaneous voice and data.

From my reading of information I found on the Qualcomm site it looks like the cell towers can be easily upgraded. It's likely that Verizon is already doing this so I'm not going to be surprised if we see simultaneous voice and data soon.

The chip that does it all is the MDM9600 which supports LTE data rates of up to 100 Mbps with full backward compatibility to dual carrier HSPA+ and EV-DO Rev. A/Rev. B.

Because thats the main point that AT&T brings up about Verzion's network. Deploy EDVO RevB and it go away.

Thanks. This isn't a big deal, but still good to know. All in all this phone is amazing.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    So based upon what I have seen, the chip is world capable (even t-mobile's 1700 frequency??). But if they follow the same design for the refresh this year, a big if, where would the SIM card go? Also, they said that the vibrate was changed to make it softer or something. I always thought it was too weak.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So based upon what I have seen, the chip is world capable (even t-mobile's 1700 frequency??). But if they follow the same design for the refresh this year, a big if, where would the SIM card go? Also, they said that the vibrate was changed to make it softer or something. I always thought it was too weak.

The key is the chip may be GSM compatible, but the antennae is not. It will only work on Verizon's CDMA frequency. Technically, other CDMA providers could activate the iPhone on their own network if they have that sort of policy in place. MetroPCS seems to enable that, as well as Verizon, though you don't get much good there. You can pretty much forget Sprint/Virgin Mobile ever doing something like this.

Besides, Apple no doubt will make it difficult to modify the esn settings of this new phone. And since ESN tampering is illegal in the states, I doubt the iPhone Dev Team or anyone else would dare get anywhere near that.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

As was stated it was likely much easier to just do a CDMA only phone. With the iPhone 4 coming to the end of its cycle, a world phone at this point would not have appreciably increased sales, so why bother.

If the iPhone 5 is going to contain both, Apple would want to launch that capability on the newer phone with all of the media buzz they are known for. That is the opportunity to maximize sales.

But the whole point is that this Verizon phone isn't a CDMA-only phone, at least not inside. So what prompted Apple to include the universal radio in the phone, but leave it disabled by not including a SIM slot?
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Well there's also the matter of Vz rolling out EVDO rev B across its entire network! Why would it do this for a feature that isn't that important?

If you wife calls you at work to say you've missed your anniversary, presumably you have WiFi data and can make reservations via that data service while you stall with her on your Verizon iPhone.

Funny, Archos! I presume by stalling you mean, shave, shower, get a haircut, upgrade your wardrobe, learn the English language, lose thirty pounds and somehow become erudite within 20 minutes!

That guy in the commercial makes guys like me look good!

Best
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

But the whole point is that this Verizon phone isn't a CDMA-only phone, at least not inside. So what prompted Apple to include the universal radio in the phone, but leave it disabled by not including a SIM slot?

Wait a minute, when did we find out it had the radios that the other iPhone 4 has? I read that it?s using the Gobi baseband processor, that?s it.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    making a call and using data at the same time can already be done on verizon..

just get Google Voice app and make calls over data
  • Reply 52 of 76
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pit5000 View Post

making a call and using data at the same time can already be done on verizon..

just get Google Voice app and make calls over data

Except that's not how Google Voice works.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Except that's not how Google Voice works.

really?, i was told that people use Google Voice and Skype to turn their iPods into phones with data calls
  • Reply 54 of 76
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Maybe that's true, maybe it isn't. But if the GSM phone won't work for people b/c AT&T sucks for them, then future resale value doesn't really matter for them.

There is a large market for used iPhones OUTSIDE of the U.S. since GSM is a "world phone". I never even mentioned AT&T in my post.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pit5000 View Post

really?, i was told that people use Google Voice and Skype to turn their iPods into phones with data calls

Skype, yes. Google Voice, no. Google Voice calls are made over the actual phone part of your iPhone - and consume voice minutes. There are various ways to initiate the calls using a web browser or an app but in the end the call goes over the phone. Incoming Google Voice calls come in on the phone.

There may be ways to twist Google Voice into using a voip service, but that's not the same thing.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    The Table for Mobile Standard appears to be incorrect, or somewhat confusing at best.

TD- LTE listed under China should be on the same level as LTE in 3GPP. And as a matter of fact TD-LTE is not a China Specific technology. It is also part of 3GPP LTE standard.

All LTE are all IP based, so IP based Network is not specific to LTE Advanced.

Instead of WiMAX 4G it should be properly named as WiMAX 2. Or IEEE 802.16m.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

There is a large market for used iPhones OUTSIDE of the U.S. since GSM is a "world phone". I never even mentioned AT&T in my post.

But you're clearly in the US, and I am in the US, and you mentioned the Verizon iPhone, which is also in the US. Obviously I can't sell my Verizon iPhone to someone in France. I agree with you on that, and maybe that will impact its future resale value. My point was just that since I am in the US, if I want to buy a GSM phone I have to go with AT&T. And since that isn't an option for me, other considerations, like whether a GSM iPhone would have greater resale value in 2 years, never entered the picture. I'm not disagreeing with you - just pointing out that there are other considerations.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    China Telecom has 216 million phone subscribers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

CDMA is their least invested technology. It’s certainly a market Apple can tap, but compared to UMTS and TD-SCDMA it’s tiny.

• Reply 59 of 76
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Well it is a CDMA only phone without a SIM card slot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

• Reply 60 of 76
    Did I misread this article or is it actually calling HSPA+ 4G or phones with HSPA+ 4G?

Quote:

This would allow AT&T to market iPhone 5, using the same chip paired with GSM/UMTS antennas, as a "4G" phone, alongside other HSPA+ models now in the pipeline

I don't see how or why. Strange comment to make. HSPA+ has nothing to do with 4G.