Verizon iPhone 4 uses world mode MDM6600 Qualcomm baseband

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Ohh, this is awesome. Now that HSPA+ is considered 4G, we could have an iPhone 4GS with minimal design changes. I love the iPhone 4 exactly the way it is.

I think we can expect an HSPA+ chip with at least 14.4Mbps in June. In fact, anything less than that would seriously disappoint me, as AT&T has been building out my whole area with HSPA+. Ideally, I'd like Apple to go for HSPA+ 21Mbps to allow AT&T additional room to add backhaul and have the next iPhone become faster and faster, just as was the case in late September/early October when standard speeds jumped from 1.5-2.5Mbps to 3-6Mbps in my area.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Can you explain what you mean by this? Are you talking about the summer 2010 iPhone 4? I'm talking about the just-released Verizon iPhone. It could have potentially been a universal AT&T-Verizon phone, but for some reason they decided against it. Everyone is saying this means that the iPhone 5 will be a universal phone, but I think that depends on the reason they chose not to make the Verizon iPhone a universal phone. It's possible that whatever issues they had with keeping it Verizon-only may not change. Could it be that they require different antenna designs? Could there be security issues, having to do with unlocking? Could there be marketing reasons? Unless we know the reason, we can't know if Apple will address them by the time the iPhone 5 comes out.

You apparently don't understand product cycles, especially in the Apple world. There is no point in a dual iPhone 4 because it adds nothing for the AT&T customers. iPhone 5 should fix this.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    Has anyone thought that this could be an LTE phone at the flip of a switch Appe and Verizon said that they have been working on this phone for over a year, with the next Iphone looming why wouldn't they?
  • Reply 64 of 76
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    It seems to be a bit too early to launch an LTE iPhone given that few cell towers support it. It will probably arrive in 2012 in the iPhone 6. I'll happily eat my words though when iPhone 5 arrives.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

China Telecom has 216 million phone subscribers.

That figure includes their landlines. China Telecom?s CDMA users are by far the smallest group after GSM/UMTS and GSM/TD-SCDMA.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ontheinside View Post

Did I misread this article or is it actually calling HSPA+ 4G or phones with HSPA+ 4G?

A network can be 3G or 4G without the devices also having that feature.

Quote:

I don't see how or why. Strange comment to make. HSPA+ has nothing to do with 4G.

Sure it does. The carriers are calling HSPA+ 4G so it?s 4G. Don?t get hung up on what the ITU calls 4G. It?s been shown here many times that the iTU?s definition isn?t required to be used by US carriers, that 100Mbps isn?t even close to the only requirement for the ITU?s 4G, and they even the ITU has altered the definition several times.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

Ohh, this is awesome. Now that HSPA+ is considered 4G, we could have an iPhone 4GS with minimal design changes. I love the iPhone 4 exactly the way it is.

Why not iPhone 4G, why iPhone 4GS? That would be inline with the previous naming convention.

Quote:

I think we can expect an HSPA+ chip with at least 14.4Mbps in June.

HSPA+ doesn?t start until 17.6Mbps down.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relayman5C View Post

You apparently don't understand product cycles, especially in the Apple world. There is no point in a dual iPhone 4 because it adds nothing for the AT&T customers. iPhone 5 should fix this.

I remain skeptical that there will be a truly universal iPhone. That said, I'm a little surprised Apple didn't use the capabilities in the Qualcomm chip to provide Verizonwireless customers GSM roaming outside the USA like they can get with some other smartphones from VZW.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    T-Moble began promoting HSPA+ as 4G so AT&T jumped on the bandwagon and now touts HSPA+ as 4G.

It'll be interesting to see what they call LTE when Verizon is already promoting that as 4G.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ontheinside View Post

Did I misread this article or is it actually calling HSPA+ 4G or phones with HSPA+ 4G?

I don't see how or why. Strange comment to make. HSPA+ has nothing to do with 4G.

• Reply 69 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I remain skeptical that there will be a truly universal iPhone. That said, I'm a little surprised Apple didn't use the capabilities in the Qualcomm chip to provide Verizonwireless customers GSM roaming outside the USA like they can get with some other smartphones from VZW.

Again, Apple doesn't include every feature on the first release. They are going to sell out of Verizon iPhones regardless of whether or not there is GSM roaming, so there's no point in including that feature now. Maybe later.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    When you have 1 billion+ people, and the fastest growing middle class in the world, your smallest group is as large as everyone else's largest group.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

That figure includes their landlines. China Telecom’s CDMA users are by far the smallest group after GSM/UMTS and GSM/TD-SCDMA.

• Reply 71 of 76
    4G wireless technology is intended to be a radical leap to broadband speeds. The carriers are no where close to that.

HSPA+ is really still based on 3G technology, LTE at this point isn't any faster than that.

The carriers are all jockeying for position on who has the fastest network and have barely gotten the horse out of the gate. They have a long long way to go to meet 100Mbps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Sure it does. The carriers are calling HSPA+ 4G so it?s 4G. Don?t get hung up on what the ITU calls 4G. It?s been shown here many times that the iTU?s definition isn?t required to be used by US carriers, that 100Mbps isn?t even close to the only requirement for the ITU?s 4G, and they even the ITU has altered the definition several times.

• Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazam2010 View Post

"According to one report, unlocking Verizon's iPhone 4 will be virtually impossible to do because it would require using 'an ESN/MEID from a donor phone with service. This technique is a US federal crime.'"

I don't understand this rule. If you've payed full price for the verizon phone and own the other phone with the service.....why is it illegal? Both devices are your property.

Because you could phone for free with a custom chip

Remember SJ and SW started by selling exactly that, for landlines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bl..._in_museum.jpg <- the box built by SW

Hence, it's an offense ...
  • Reply 73 of 76
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relayman5C View Post

Again, Apple doesn't include every feature on the first release. They are going to sell out of Verizon iPhones regardless of whether or not there is GSM roaming, so there's no point in including that feature now. Maybe later.

It's not a matter of "including every feature on the first release". The feature is Verizonwireless's, not Apple's. Apple put the core hardware in the phone to do it. Why it's not available is anyone's guess. Besides, this isn't a first release... we're on v 4 of the iPhone now and global roaming has been a feature of previous iPhones for as long as anyone can remember.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

It's not a matter of "including every feature on the first release". The feature is Verizonwireless's, not Apple's. Apple put the core hardware in the phone to do it. Why it's not available is anyone's guess. Besides, this isn't a first release... we're on v 4 of the iPhone now and global roaming has been a feature of previous iPhones for as long as anyone can remember.

Why don't we ask Verizon? Here's the answer: "Customers must activate pre?installed SIM Card and a Global Service plan or feature to enable roaming outside of the U.S. in GSM and UMTS Network.

International Roaming (CDMA) is available on all Verizon Wireless devices and does not require an activated SIM Card. (Global Data Plan or Feature is suggested)"

So the iPhone can roam internationally on CDMA networks. A SIM card is required for GSM networks, which is not included with this version of the iPhone. Therefore, it is an Apple limitation, not a Verizon limitation. Repeating my point, the CDMA iPhone 4 is going to sell out whether or not it has GSM roaming so there is no point in putting that feature in this phone.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazam2010 View Post

"According to one report, unlocking Verizon's iPhone 4 will be virtually impossible to do because it would require using 'an ESN/MEID from a donor phone with service. This technique is a US federal crime.'"

I don't understand this rule. If you've payed full price for the verizon phone and own the other phone with the service.....why is it illegal? Both devices are your property.

Because Sprint does not accept ESNs from Verizon's devices. Basically, you'd need to clone an ESN from a Sprint device, which means your device would be allowed to masquerade as the cloned device on Sprint's network. It's highly illegal. It's the CDMA equivalent of cloning a SIM card.