Google Android widens lead on Apple's iPhone in US smartphone market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NShirkey View Post

Android is an OS not a phone. Windows has a much larger market share than OSX. Go with Windows and Android if that rocks your boat.

Read the article.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    After the Verizon Launch on Thursday all the numbers will change. Apples percentage most probably will go up at the cost of Google(android) and RIMM.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skumars View Post

I don't know why is it a fashion now to compare iPhone against Android -- its like asking does apple (the fruit) sells more than all other fruits combined? A fair comparison would be iPhone 4 against, say, one of Spring EVO 4G, Samsung Galaxy S, Moto Droid 2, or whatever.

Depends on what you're comparing. If you're a developer trying to evaluate the market for your product, you might compare sales of all Android devices against all iOS devices.

Or, even better, total software revenues for Android devices vs software revenues for iOS devices.

But the comparison given doesn't make any sense. It's like saying "All Korean cars combined outsell the Honda Civic". Who cares?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vjo,npd View Post

It is only not fair because it does not make apple fan boys happy...

No, it's because it's a stupid comparison. See above.
  • Reply 24 of 101
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

... But what really will be interesting is if Nokia announces an alliance with Microsoft on Friday. That would really shake things up for everyone.

That would be interesting, although, I'm not sure how much it might shake things up.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

That depends. What other OS is out there worth having? Win7 Phone? Palm OS? Symbian? I like Win7, the OS is pretty sweet, but I really don't think it will catch on unless Android goes tit-up.

The biggest threat for Android is Oracle's suit regarding the Java license andGoogle's Dalvik VM. if Oracle appears to gain traction, handset makers will likely look elsewhere for an OS (unless Google offers to indemnify them).
  • Reply 26 of 101
    These stories of Android with it so-called lead on Iphone are getting old. Very Old.

Android is on all these smart phones but the celly makers are in competition with one another. So we aren't seeing ONE company but a coalition of competing players using the Android platform because it is a cost savings business move.

The cell phone makers get to glut up the market with millions of subsidized smart phones, talk sh**(blah, blah, blah) while Google touts Android ubiquity.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    No surprising.

The question should be can Apple build enough iPhones to be sold more than all Android devices combined? I don't think so. Hence, Android will always be the leader in unit sales, like Nokia is, or used to be.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why is this 'lead' important?

It isn't. However it is funny to watch some people transition from a Microsoft obsession to a Google obsession.
  • Reply 29 of 101
    If Apple can pull back ahead of Android in OS unit market share, which I doubt, it will be short lived. That?s the nature of giving away a free OS that is available for every handset vendor to use, including Apple, if they were to be foolish enough to use Android.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigwoodenhead View Post

When the iPhone arrives on all 4 carriers, the only way Android phones can compete is to give them away for free.

How about just two carriers?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guide...martphones.ars
  • Reply 30 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NShirkey View Post

Android is an OS not a phone. Windows has a much larger market share than OSX. Go with Windows and Android if that rocks your boat.

A fractured OS. But that won't stop Google from reassembling the broken pieces and counting them as "Android".
  • Reply 31 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

If Apple can pull back ahead of Android in OS unit market share, which I doubt, it will be short lived. That?s the nature of giving away a free OS that is available for every handset vendor to use, including Apple, if they were to be foolish enough to use Android.

How about just two carriers?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guide...martphones.ars

Logistcaldrone,

Android is a good OS. EOF.

Regards

Sourcer
  • Reply 32 of 101
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It isn't. However it is funny to watch some people transition from a Microsoft obsession to a Google obsession.

I knew we'd find something to agree on, sooner or later. Cheers ....
  • Reply 33 of 101
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skumars View Post

I don't know why is it a fashion now to compare iPhone against Android -- its like asking does apple (the fruit) sells more than all other fruits combined? A fair comparison would be iPhone 4 against, say, one of Spring EVO 4G, Samsung Galaxy S, Moto Droid 2, or whatever.

Indeed. Lets see stats of individual handset makers for smart phones...
  • Reply 34 of 101
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    how all these phone makers have jumped on Android because it works and is more or less royalty and development cost free ... yet Linux which works and is more or less royal and development cost free still languishes in never never land.
  • Reply 35 of 101
    When you people whimper about how Apple is mistreated it makes me slightly embarrassed to be an Apple user.

But at the same time it's really funny that some of you take personal offense to the idea that anyone would compile a statistic that didn't treat Apple to a privileged position.

The fact that Apple doesn't have the largest OS footprint shouldn't upset or surprise anyone. It is used on a "single device" or several versions of a single device, however you want to look at it. That doesn't make it "unfair" to compare OS to OS. It's just a comparison that doesn't favor Apple because of their business strategy.

Obviously I wouldn't be reading these forums if I didn't like Apple, (really I'm just waiting for news on the Macbook Pro's and for some reason reading about Verizon helps me get by) but some of you have your pride way too wrapped up in this stuff. It'll be ok, your iPhone is still cool, I promise!
  • Reply 36 of 101
    Can I digress just a little from the "Android sucks! / iOS is being treated unfairly!" discussion?

My problem with this story is that it completely contradicts several reports (including some on Apple Insider) from just a week or so ago, to the effect that Android's gains were slowing significantly and that its sales were "leveling off."

We now know that those reports were just Apple fans' wishful thinking and self-delusion.

I know it's not important, by the way, and that Apple's profit margin is really the final yardstick. But it bothers me when the Apple journalists over-stress positive stories about Apple's performance and re-interpret tentative data as indicative of Apple success just because it makes them (and us) feel better. The problem is that then when glaring evidence to the contrary comes out (like the current story) those journalists' credibility is jeopardized.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Google is the Microsoft of the smartphone world. That's not a good thing. Any business model that is not similar or the same as Apple's vertical model is to be avoided.

When it comes to single handsets, the iPhone is still the best-selling handset. No one can make an iPhone-killer. But it sure is easy to churn out a lot of junk at various price points and two-fer deals and then turn around and claim market share.

That's what Dell does, folks.
  • Reply 38 of 101
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigwoodenhead View Post

When the iPhone arrives on all 4 carriers, the only way Android phones can compete is to give them away for free.

They already are giving them away for free.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    Oh you poor apple fans. I wish I could say I sympathize with you..but I don't. For years you have been touting your superiority over the unwashed masses, yet now, we see your high horse has been chopped down to size and your ivory tower has crumbled.

Normally I would counteract your silly arguments about one vs many and "Verizon will help us beat android!" but not today.

Today I shall laugh in happy contentment at your misery.

Ok..just one argument.

You say that verizon will help you? Let me tell you something my friends. iPhone is sold ALL OVER THE WORLD on MULTIPLE CARRIERS. They are STILL getting their butts handed to them by Android...WORLDWIDE!.

Just wanted to make sure we were clear. So why do you have this silly idea tha somehow you will be helped when iphone is on multiple carriers..let me tell you something..aint gonna hppen.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Oh, well I guess I'll just have to make do with the 245 Apps I have, now that Apple has lost and all the developers will be going to Android.

/sarcasm

Impact on my life = zero.