Google Android widens lead on Apple's iPhone in US smartphone market

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Android4ever View Post

Ok..just one argument.

You say that verizon will help you? Let me tell you something my friends. iPhone is sold ALL OVER THE WORLD on MULTIPLE CARRIERS. They are STILL getting their butts handed to them by Android...WORLDWIDE!.

Just wanted to make sure we were clear. So why do you have this silly idea tha somehow you will be helped when iphone is on multiple carriers..let me tell you something..aint gonna hppen.

I'm not clear at all.

Just curious, but how can an operating system (in this case Android) be classified as hardware, and more importantly, how can a free operating system be classified as sold? Or is this just in your world?
  • Reply 62 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So what does Google focus on? Not user experience. Not a rich, vibrant ecosystem.

That's your biased, anything that isn't Apple sucks, and quite frankly BS opinion.

Google Maps is still the best and easiest to use online mapping sites. It provides an excellent user experience. I cringe whenever someone tells me to look up an address on MapQuest with it's antiquated, hard-to-read maps. Google Earth is a very cool, very slick mapping program. And it happens to have a vibrant, thriving ecosystem of map data sets, 3d building models, etc.

I gave up using Apple's crappy Mail.app and just leave a tab open to my Gmail account at home. It's by far a much less frustrating user experience than Mail was. Especially when I don't have to have 3 apps sitting open (Mail, iCal, and Address Book) to accomplish the same thing one browser tab pointing to Gmail can do.

Google's search engine is still the best out there. It's still the best at providing relevant results for your search. And still as drop dead easy to use now as it was when it first started.

Google Health is really cool way to have access to your medical history and test results. I just wish more of my health care providers made use of it.

Google makes cool stuff. They're willing to go out on limbs that Apple won't bother to touch (would Apple ever conceived of doing Street View for maps?). And they have a sense of humor and fun that seems sorely lacking from Apple (they're annual April Fool's joke, Google Moon that used to show the surface as cheese if you zoomed in far enough).

Anecdotally, there are at least 4 Android phone users in my family, none the same phone model, ranging from middle school aged to 40 something adults. They're all quite happy with their phones and haven't had any issues figuring out how to use them.

And at the same time, the iPhone is a really cool phone. Now that it's coming to Verizon, I just might pick one up (or switch to AT&T since Verizon is apparently disallowing my employee discount on the service plan and dropped the New Every Two $100 credit I was due to receive in two months).

I'm not a blind Apple fan. I'm not a slavish fandroid. I can think for myself. I love cool tech. I love my PS3. I love my TiVo. I loved my iPod Classic (until the hard drive died). I look forward to getting a 3D TV by year's end.

In a few weeks, I'll probably love my new iPhone. But I'll still be keeping my eyes open to what cool things come out of the Google camp
  • Reply 63 of 101
    Dididit dididit tung.: analysis complete.

This article is not a DED article, it's way too balanced and accurate...

Ah, right
  • Reply 64 of 101
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Uh yeah. Because without understanding the *reason* behind the numbers you're only partially informed.

There is a lot of junk out there. Cheap, low-quality netbooks absolutely flooded the market and pumped up the also rans' share numbers.

Case in point: Compare Dell or Acer market share to Mac market share. Which product would YOU rather have?

See what I mean?

Th blind leading the blind.

Oh the *reason* behind then numbers lol. I guess an over-hyped brand name is a reason, isn't it? I've met 2 people so far who never even knew my phone existed, and liked it better than their iphone (one was 4, the other a 3gs.)

The point is, it IS possible that Android isn't as bad as you think, that netbooks aren't as low quality as you think, and the people who buy these products are genuinely happy with them.

If you want to point at sales numbers as proof of quality, don't have such a double standard.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    i am sure apple is upset. "more android handsets sold than iphones? boo hoo, i guess we will just keep crying all the way to our enormous bank account"

attention walmart shoppers: android phones 2 for a dollar on isle 4 (next to the emachines)
  • Reply 66 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

That's your biased, anything that isn't Apple sucks, and quite frankly BS opinion.

Google Maps is still the best and easiest to use online mapping sites. It provides an excellent user experience. I cringe whenever someone tells me to look up an address on MapQuest with it's antiquated, hard-to-read maps. Google Earth is a very cool, very slick mapping program. And it happens to have a vibrant, thriving ecosystem of map data sets, 3d building models, etc.

I gave up using Apple's crappy Mail.app and just leave a tab open to my Gmail account at home. It's by far a much less frustrating user experience than Mail was. Especially when I don't have to have 3 apps sitting open (Mail, iCal, and Address Book) to accomplish the same thing one browser tab pointing to Gmail can do.

Google's search engine is still the best out there. It's still the best at providing relevant results for your search. And still as drop dead easy to use now as it was when it first started.

Google Health is really cool way to have access to your medical history and test results. I just wish more of my health care providers made use of it.

Google makes cool stuff. They're willing to go out on limbs that Apple won't bother to touch (would Apple ever conceived of doing Street View for maps?). And they have a sense of humor and fun that seems sorely lacking from Apple (they're annual April Fool's joke, Google Moon that used to show the surface as cheese if you zoomed in far enough).

Anecdotally, there are at least 4 Android phone users in my family, none the same phone model, ranging from middle school aged to 40 something adults. They're all quite happy with their phones and haven't had any issues figuring out how to use them.

And at the same time, the iPhone is a really cool phone. Now that it's coming to Verizon, I just might pick one up (or switch to AT&T since Verizon is apparently disallowing my employee discount on the service plan and dropped the New Every Two $100 credit I was due to receive in two months).

I'm not a blind Apple fan. I'm not a slavish fandroid. I can think for myself. I love cool tech. I love my PS3. I love my TiVo. I loved my iPod Classic (until the hard drive died). I look forward to getting a 3D TV by year's end.

In a few weeks, I'll probably love my new iPhone. But I'll still be keeping my eyes open to what cool things come out of the Google camp

i liked android once 2.2 came out, but, now that i have had it for a good while i am sick of it needing rebooting. it is the windows 95 for the new generation...
  • Reply 67 of 101
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

That depends. What other OS is out there worth having? Win7 Phone? Palm OS? Symbian? I like Win7, the OS is pretty sweet, but I really don't think it will catch on unless Android goes tit-up.

Their own OS. That was my point. Samsung doesn't want to be using Android, they want Bada to be the #1 smart phone OS. HTC has frequently announced its desire to have its own OS. It's a point of pride for them. Using Windows or Android makes them a "2nd tier" manufacturer (their CEOs words, not mine). Either company could easily fork Android.
  • Reply 68 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigwoodenhead View Post

When the iPhone arrives on all 4 carriers, the only way Android phones can compete is to give them away for free.

Then why doesn't Apple do this. iPhone would rule the U.S. We can't blame Google, I think Google is smart to offer it on all Carriers. I know deep down that Sprint and T-Mobile want the iPhone, heck I want the iPhone on T-Mobile but crossing my fingers that the iPhone 4G/5 with the new chip caters to all carriers. Apple can actually take over the world but.....makes me wonder if its Apple thats stopping themselves.
  • Reply 69 of 101
    The Android OS is a lot less open than the android fanboys would like you to believe, as is the iOS a lot more open. The main difference is that the android people are pro-hacker, whereas Apple just tolerates hackers. There is plenty of room in the market for both Android and iOS to be wildly successful. The losers are RIM and Nokia moreso than Apple or Google.

Moreover, Java makes lousy apps. One major bonus of the Apple iOS over Android is that it is not Java-bound. I think it was a huge mistake to make all Android Java dependent when the VAST majority of installs will be ARMv7-A compliant for years to come. ARMs are fast, but not in the ways that can make Java's VM overhead unnoticeable. Particularly, the ARMs in phones have lousy double-precision performance and lack the giant caches or hyper-fast memory buses of modern desktop & laptop CPUs. I spent a long time in 2010 reworking OpenCV, a sloppy C++ library, for a common cell phone CPU -- let me tell you, C++ was bad enough, Java is worse. I was able to improve the runtime speed (of most functions) on the ARM massively (20x), but this required some changes that would not be permitted if the app/lib were Java based.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

I'm not clear at all.

Just curious, but how can an operating system (in this case Android) be classified as hardware, and more importantly, how can a free operating system be classified as sold? Or is this just in your world?

Sorry for not being clear. I am not classifying Android as hardware. I just was saying that OVERALL Android OS is beating iOS in overall market share. That's all. In other countries iPhone is on multiple carriers..and Android is STILL gaining more marketshare. So Verizon getting iPhone won't change anything for iPhone marketshare.

Finally..time to put this myth about iphone superiority to bed. Here is the iPhone support thread: http://discussions.apple.com/categor...categoryID=201

Over 14,000 pages of issues. iPhone has just as many problems as Android.

End of Discussion.

• Reply 71 of 101
    Seeing as how it was reported by these same people that 32.9 or 33.1 million android handsets were sold vs. 16 for apple, why shouldn't the marketshare go up?

"OH, but now we have verizon!!!"

So? Now we have perhaps 29mill android vs 19 to 20 apple. Apple's marketshare didn't even move much when the iphone4 came out either, and they sold every one they could, lending that most of their sales went to the original iphone owners or 3G owners, not many new users.

DED likes to mention that in the earnings call "if apple could make more then we could overtake everyone." Perhaps that's true.

What's to say that like Android ios won't just cannibalize RIM more and not android? We'll know in about 2-3 months.
  • Reply 72 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Or you can get a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V for $139.00 at Radio Shack and then pay $25 a month for unlimited data (well 5GB a full speed and then extra throttled), not to mention unlimited texting and 300 mins of talk time.

The phone is not a bad little phone. The slow CPU is backed up by a dedicated GPU and modem cpu than take the load of the CPU. Add a very vanilla version of Android Froyo and you might still not be convinced. Understandable.

BUT when you download the Quick Settings App, your little phone becomes a wifi hotspot for you lovely iOS devices and Macbooks.

Why am I wasting time writing this? Because I am tired of being AT&T's but monkey! I am transferring my iPhone # to Google Voice and then using the little android phone as a hotspot for my now transformed iPh(POD)one 3GS, iPad and Macbook.

Eat it AT&T!

I understand the AT&T angst (I have it too) but a jailbreak and MyWi and you have the free hotspot on your iPhone and you are not on the much slower and weaker Sprint network (which powers Virgin). I see so many poor reviews of Virgin data service that you might have to eat your words unless you always operate in very strong Sprint 3G signals.

Good luck.
  • Reply 73 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Seeing as how it was reported by these same people that 32.9 or 33.1 million android handsets were sold vs. 16 for apple, why shouldn't the marketshare go up?

"OH, but now we have verizon!!!"

So? Now we have perhaps 29mill android vs 19 to 20 apple. Apple's marketshare didn't even move much when the iphone4 came out either, and they sold every one they could, lending that most of their sales went to the original iphone owners or 3G owners, not many new users.

DED likes to mention that in the earnings call "if apple could make more then we could overtake everyone." Perhaps that's true.

What's to say that like Android ios won't just cannibalize RIM more and not android? We'll know in about 2-3 months.

More trouble with math. Apple sold 2x the iPhones and share rose only slightly because that is the speed the market is growing. If you sell 2x the phones, you (by definition) are highly unlikely to only be selling to prior iPhone owners. AT&T have stated that at least 40% of iPhone sales are to new AT&T customers who (again, by definition) are unlikely to have had an iPhone before. iPhone 2G and 3G total sales in 2007/2008/2009 were less that the iP4 launch quarter. Sales only took off with 3GS and still the first 2Q of iP4 sold roughly as many as all the prior iPhones ever sold. This "iPhone isn't growing and only sells to prior owners" is idiotic and trips over the basic math every time.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phastmac View Post

Then why doesn't Apple do this. iPhone would rule the U.S. We can't blame Google, I think Google is smart to offer it on all Carriers. I know deep down that Sprint and T-Mobile want the iPhone, heck I want the iPhone on T-Mobile but crossing my fingers that the iPhone 4G/5 with the new chip caters to all carriers. Apple can actually take over the world but.....makes me wonder if its Apple thats stopping themselves.

Google doesn't offer anything to anyone except a free OS to OEMs. OEMs have all the carrier relationships. Moto/Sammy/SE/RIM etc. make phones available. I'm sure Apple cut Verizon a deal for 6-12 months of exclusivity vs. Sprint (not that it would matter much) in exchange for Verizon's marketing push. T-Mob needs a different radio to work on 3G which may come with iP5 (super-Gobi chip) but it is the carrier deal that matters. Let's face it, if VZ demand is so high after 3.5yrs, Sprint/T-Mob can wait a bit longer and not lose too many converts. The other issue is that those carriers are the "cheapo" carriers. Not sure the cut-rate plans can stand the massive subsidy Apple asks for the iPhone.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Android4ever View Post

Oh you poor apple fans. I wish I could say I sympathize with you..but I don't. For years you have been touting your superiority over the unwashed masses, yet now, we see your high horse has been chopped down to size and your ivory tower has crumbled.

Normally I would counteract your silly arguments about one vs many and "Verizon will help us beat android!" but not today.

Today I shall laugh in happy contentment at your misery.

Ok..just one argument.

You say that verizon will help you? Let me tell you something my friends. iPhone is sold ALL OVER THE WORLD on MULTIPLE CARRIERS. They are STILL getting their butts handed to them by Android...WORLDWIDE!.

Just wanted to make sure we were clear. So why do you have this silly idea tha somehow you will be helped when iphone is on multiple carriers..let me tell you something..aint gonna hppen.

Oh you poor fandroid. Apple has always been a minority platform in everything except the iPod (and maybe the iPad now). The crushing sense of superiority you have been feeling has never been driven by numbers (just a natural and justified feeling of superiority that comes with the little Apple sticker pack that used to be in every Apple product ;-). Apple was always and will always be behind some commodity platform or other (RIM, Nokia, now Android) and still manages to pwn the high end of the market. It owns the profits, a large part of revenues and is still growing at least as fast as the market.

Add all the EVO/DroidInc/DroidX/GalS phones and they are still far less than iPhone sales alone. Do you not realize that Apple sold 38M iPhones during which time Samsung sold 10M Galaxy phones. HTC's total unit sales (all platforms) is ~half of Apple's iPhone sales. All manufacturers added together have overtaken iPhone unit sales but a very high number of those are cheap/low-end phones or not even Android (look up OMS and Tapas - forked Android, No Google but somehow still in the global numbers). Keep reveling in the fake sales numbers but realize that this is not impacting Apple's growth, revenue or profit. The market is growing like crazy and everyone is primarily competing with dumbphones far more than with each other.

No-one is handing Apple's butt to anyone. But keep that feeling of happy contentment that comes with every Android phone.
  • Reply 76 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why is this 'lead' important?

As long as Apple continues to be profitable enough to continue producing industry leading, beautiful products, I don't care if I'm the only guy in my city to have one. That would just make me the smartest guy in my city.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

More trouble with math. Apple sold 2x the iPhones and share rose only slightly because that is the speed the market is growing. If you sell 2x the phones, you (by definition) are highly unlikely to only be selling to prior iPhone owners. AT&T have stated that at least 40% of iPhone sales are to new AT&T customers who (again, by definition) are unlikely to have had an iPhone before. iPhone 2G and 3G total sales in 2007/2008/2009 were less that the iP4 launch quarter. Sales only took off with 3GS and still the first 2Q of iP4 sold roughly as many as all the prior iPhones ever sold. This "iPhone isn't growing and only sells to prior owners" is idiotic and trips over the basic math every time.

It was a focus on the qtr that the iphone4 launched, not now. No matter how you look at it, the iphone is doing great.
  • Reply 78 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

It was a focus on the qtr that the iphone4 launched, not now. No matter how you look at it, the iphone is doing great.

Tru dat!
  • Reply 79 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

I'm sure Apple cut Verizon a deal for 6-12 months of exclusivity vs. Sprint (not that it would matter much) in exchange for Verizon's marketing push.

I am not attempting to endorse or disprove anything else you've said. This is just a fact check on this specific point: At the Verizon iPhone announcement, Tim Cook confirmed that the Verizon iPhone deal is non-exclusive.
  • Reply 80 of 101
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

The fact that Apple doesn't have the largest OS footprint shouldn't upset or surprise anyone. It is used on a "single device" or several versions of a single device, however you want to look at it. That doesn't make it "unfair" to compare OS to OS. It's just a comparison that doesn't favor Apple because of their business strategy.

To do a proper OS to OS comparison, iPod Touch numbers should also be included since they run the same OS as the iPhone. You could even argue that both iOS and Android tablet sales should be included in such a comparison.