Briefly: iTunes Movie Store still on top; fake iPhones, iPods worth millions seized; Jobs' Jackling

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sales figures for 2010 show that Apple's iTunes Movie Store remained on top with 64.5 percent market share among competing Internet video services in the US. Also, more than $10 million worth of counterfeit iPhones, iPods and other items have been seized by the Los Angeles Port Police. Finally, officials say the physical permit allowing Apple CEO Steve Jobs to raze the controversial Jackling mansion will be issued soon.

iTunes Movie Store

According to a new report from IHS, Apple held off growing competition from Microsoft, Sony and Walmart in 2010, though it lost market share to its competitors. The report's data counts "Internet Video on Demand" sales from online video providers such as Apple's iTunes, Microsoft's Zune Video and Sony's PlayStation Store, but doesn't count subscription services like Hulu or Netflix.

Although down from 2009's 74.4 percent share, Apple still held the lion's share of the market with 64.5 percent in 2010. Coming in second, Microsoft jumped from 11.9 percent in 2009 to 17.9 percent of the online movie market share. Sony came in third with 7.2 percent, up from 5.2 percent in 2009.

Walmart was a relatively minor competitor in the market, but saw "a spike in consumption" in the fourth quarter of 2010, the report noted.

?The future of the online movie business may come down to competitive battle between Apple and Wal-Mart,? said report author Arash Amel. ?Although Wal-Mart is not on the charts yet, the company soon will become a major player if its current momentum continues. The company already represents a critical source of revenue for the major Hollywood studios because of its massive sales of Blu-ray and DVD movies?and now is expanding this business into the online realm.?

IHS estimates that Walmart generated $3.5 billion in revenues to studios from sales of physical movies in 2010.

Counterfeit bust

Los Angeles port authorities have seized more than $10 million in counterfeit goods and receipts, including a number of knock-off iPhones and iPods, The Los Angeles Times reports.

"This was a well-funded operation, and the counterfeits looked very authentic," said L.A. Port Police Chief Ron Boyd. Investigators suspect that criminals intended to release the goods, which were shipped from Asia, into the US market during "the recent buzz over the Consumer Electronics Show."

Records seized by the police show that the criminals had made over $7 million in profits. The police uncovered the warehouse operation while looking for stolen cargo.

Two brothers, Bahram and Edward Zahab, have been charged with the sale of counterfeit goods.

Source: L.A. Times

Last week, an alleged group of thieves were indicted on charges of using stolen credit cards to purchase more than $1 million in merchandise from Apple retail stores.

Steve Jobs' mansion

After a decade long fight between Jobs and preservationists, demolition on a Spanish Colonial revival mansion owned by Jobs could begin "in the next month," according to a report by Therese Poletti of MarketWatch.

?We have been working with Mr. Jobs?s representatives for the last few months, and we are very close to the point where the permit will be physically issued at the end of this week or the beginning of next week,? said Susan George, Woodside?s town manager, last week.

According to George, Jobs, who is currently on medical leave from Apple, "has not been intimately involved in the front line of this project,? though she admitted that "he keeps in very close contact with his representative on this.?

Jobs received permission to demolish the mansion in 2009, but a group of preservationists appealed the decision later that year. That appeal was dropped in August of last year.

After purchasing the mansion, which was built in 1929 for copper mining mogul Daniel Jackling, in 1984, Jobs lived in it for 10 years before renting it out. The house has stood vacant since 2000, causing some preservationists to accuse Jobs of "demolition by neglect."

For more photos of the Jackling mansion, see the extensive gallery posted by AppleInsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    Demolition of the Jackling mansion?

*Rosebud!*
  • Reply 2 of 28
    That home doesn't look very Mac-like.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "Investigators suspect that criminals intended to release the goods, which were shipped from Asia"

Counterfeit items from Asia?!?!? I've never heard of such a thing.

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 4 of 28
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EverNoticeThat View Post

That home doesn't look very Mac-like.

You mean it has too much openness?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Those knock-off are on sall all over NYC. They've been around for years. Only an idiot would think they are real iPods.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Just knock the damn thing down already, it's been dragging on for far too long.....
  • Reply 7 of 28
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Why do they never report about the crappy knock-off Zunes and Windows Phone 7s that are being sold everyday. Oh wait...They're not knock-offs? They're legit? My bad.

I was in St. Maarten a few years back and a few of the shops had knock-off Apple gear. It's so obvious to most of us, but to someone who doesn't know, someone wanting to buy an iPod for their grandchild for example, they can easily get burned.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

"Investigators suspect that criminals intended to release the goods, which were shipped from Asia"

</sarcasm>

Sold by eastern Europeans?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Just knock the damn thing down already, it's been dragging on for far too long.....

The thing was an ugly monstrosity the day it was built, and the last 80 years have done nothing to make it historic or in any way worth preserving. The real story here is how F'ed up the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia has become that people can sue you for over a decade to prevent you from rebuilding your own home. The losers in this case should have to pay Jobs and the city the full ammount of all legal and court expenses plus interest plus compensate Steve for the lack of use of his property for ten years, and finally trebble damages (3 times the sum of the other items).
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

In other thoughts... I've always wondered why Apple seems friendly to Netflix? Is it a sense of digital streaming solidarity or a possible acquisition?...

I've wondered the same thing! (And, Dropbox would be nice too, while they're at it, so that Apple can finally just shut down its pathetic iDisk business).
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

...The real story here is how F'ed up the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia has become that people can sue you for over a decade to prevent you from rebuilding your own home...

And sadly (and I hope I'm wrong) the result is that he'll likely be dead before he even gets to complete his new house...
  • Reply 12 of 28
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

The thing was an ugly monstrosity the day it was built, and the last 80 years have done nothing to make it historic or in any way worth preserving. The real story here is how F'ed up the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia has become that people can sue you for over a decade to prevent you from rebuilding your own home. The losers in this case should have to pay Jobs and the city the full ammount of all legal and court expenses plus interest plus compensate Steve for the lack of use of his property for ten years, and finally trebble damages (3 times the sum of the other items).

Well 20 of those 80 years have been in Jobs' hands.

Historical landmarks need to be preserved.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    What's with the TV antennas on the roof? On google maps it looks pretty close to some main roads so there should be cable out there....
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Why do they never report about the crappy knock-off Zunes and Windows Phone 7s that are being sold everyday. Oh wait...They're not knock-offs? They're legit? My bad.

Are they selling? Incredible. Care to share to whom?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Sold by eastern Europeans?

It's a world conspiracy! Were you aware that the blueprints were alien?

(Sorry, away fixing tin hat)
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

</sarcasm>

Plan to get rich:

Step 1: Counterfeit iPhone & iPod

Step 2: ????

Step 3: $$$$$!

Wow, now I know what was missing from my plan. I hadn't planned to release the goods.

Score one for Captain Obvious.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Can I haz manzion TV antennaz?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

And sadly (and I hope I'm wrong) the result is that he'll likely be dead before he even gets to complete his new house...

actually, more aggressive cancers tend to respond very well to treatment, so his main problem is probably just finding ways to maintain nutrition. so with any luck we'll have plenty more steve time left

as for the house, although it's been a while sine I completed my b.a. in art history, I can fully vouch for the butt-ugliness and historical worthlesness of the soon to be demolished house. and the plans for the replacement look amazing. get well steve!
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Shouldn't the title read, "...Jobs's mansion"

I was under the impression s' was reserved for indicating plural possession. People always think that you use s' when the person's name ends in an "s", but that is a big mistake.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

</sarcasm>

Well, what did you expect? We've lost the manufacturing base to make genuine American counterfeits.....

</counter sarcasm>