Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Stop trolling please.

It's his raison d'être.
  • Reply 42 of 108
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

There are apps in the App Store that can play FLAC files.

THAT is something I'm jealous of. I can't seem to find a viable option in the Android market.
  • Reply 43 of 108
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's his raison d'être.

his raisins tree? sey wut!?
  • Reply 44 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

his raisins tree? sey wut!?

Chronster, really? "Reason for being". You must be kidding.
  • Reply 45 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

*sniff*

Yeah, that's how I feel too.

Nothing better for use in a car.
  • Reply 46 of 108
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Ahhh, one of my pet peeves.

I wanted to get my daughter an iPod for Christmas but had significant problems finding one. You see, I think the new Nano is ergonomically a piece of ....

Too small, the wrong shape and without the click wheel. I wanted the previous old version, because Apple got that right to the point of near perfection. I eventually found a 16Gb refurbished one in the right colour for the price of the current model 8GB

Less is not always more, sometimes it's less and stupid, like the previous model iPod shuffle.

The reason the Classic has been pushed out of the limelight is because Apple haven't done anything significant with it. They have been so convinced there was no market and waiting for the inconvenient demand to go away - which it obviously hasn't - they thought they didn't need to do anything. Apple thought flash prices would keep dropping and they could soon offer greater capacity at reasonable prices but that didn't transpire either.

Apple really should have got the message by now, flash is too expensive, the price isn't going to drop soon and there is significant demand for greater capacity than flash can economically satisfy.

If i were Apple, I would take a Touch, add a HD and put a click wheel on the back - simples. I would buy one in a flash
  • Reply 47 of 108
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I've never really understood why Apple doesn't offer an HDD version of the touch; in fact with the larger widescreen display there's even more reason (compared to the classic) for the touch to have a high capacity drive. The screen is much better for watching video and video takes up masses of storage space.
  • Reply 48 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I wish Apple would support FLAC files.

Why? Stop wishing and just convert FLAC files to AppleLossless. Apple will never support FLAC so you might as well find a solution that actually works. Try this.
  • Reply 49 of 108
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Well then I'm sure someone ,somewhere out there still wants to buy a fresh Betamax tape too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Stop trolling please.

What does it take to get banned? (seriously)

I have no problem with rational criticism of Apple and it's products, and I agree with some that the level of fanboy-ism here has risen lately. Sensible debate is useful, and crushing every dissenting voice is not cool.

But holy cow, there are a handful of accounts, like this iLiver clown, that constantly post garbage. Nothing constructive at all, just post after post of trolling. Sure, one can add to an ignore list, but there are still all the responses that follow.

Seriously, is there some kind of mechanism whereby we can nominate accounts to be terminated? Maybe a once-a-month thread for discussion? I know that's a dangerous road (and there's no way to automate the process, i.e. ultimately one of the admins has to make a reasoned judgement call) but maintaining the integrity of the forums is important.
  • Reply 50 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

I have no problem with rational criticism of Apple and it's products, and I agree with some that the level of fanboy-ism here has risen lately. Sensible debate is useful, and crushing every dissenting voice is not cool.

But holy cow, there are a handful of accounts, like this iLiver clown, that constantly post garbage. Nothing constructive at all, just post after post of trolling. Sure, one can add to an ignore list, but there are still all the responses that follow.

Seriously, is there some kind of mechanism whereby we can nominate accounts to be terminated? Maybe a once-a-month thread for discussion? I know that's a dangerous road (and there's no way to automate the process, i.e. ultimately one of the admins has to make a reasoned judgement call) but maintaining the integrity of the forums is important.

Everyone has a different idea as to who should be banned. I get private messages from people wanting me to ban each other! Sometimes I think they should all be banned, including those demanding that people be banned. That's as annoying as the trolling.

But if someone's polite about it, it's harder to decide, and it takes longer.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    I hope they keep the classic as my music library has increased over the years I have upgraded the classic each time i currently have a 3 year old 160gb that I have 130gb of music on i will always want the ability to have m entire collection with me be it holiday, office, car etc..

I am looking on ebay fr a used one to keep connected p in the car.
  • Reply 52 of 108
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's his raison d'être.

That's a good one.

Je ne regrette rien.
  • Reply 53 of 108
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Some might say your signature with "No Matte, no sale" is trolling so you really shouldn't throw stones- you know what I'm saying?
  • Reply 54 of 108
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I'd buy a 220G in a heartbeat to replace my 160GB which is approaching full. I use it quite a bit to load TV series and digital copy movies for friends. Great portable way to carry a huge library of content. I only rip CDs to Apple Lossless and want to keep one copy of my library to sync to my iDevices. The classic makes a perfect choice.

Perhaps mobile things that have spinny media in them will disappear when the cloud and mobile networking makes for a practical alternative. Or when SSD becomes an cost effective option for the "needed" capacity. Reckon Apple will stop making these when they stop making their margins on them.
  • Reply 55 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I've never really understood why Apple doesn't offer an HDD version of the touch; in fact with the larger widescreen display there's even more reason (compared to the classic) for the touch to have a high capacity drive. The screen is much better for watching video and video takes up masses of storage space.

Power efficiency and data retrieval speeds come to mind.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

To the Smithsonian it goes....

I've held off on an iPad or a new iPod purchase until they come out with 128+GB of memory, so I can store my whole music collection in Lossless. (~90GB)

I wish Apple would support FLAC files. From what I've read, there's a hack/dual-boot OS that you can load on iPod Classics that will allow you to play FLAC files, though.

Why bother with FLAC? The quality is the same as Apple Lossless, and it's the same size, too. Why not just use a converter app (like Tunesify, in the App Store for 99¢) and convert them?
  • Reply 57 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Power efficiency and data retrieval speeds come to mind.

Not really an issue. Apple could use 4 GB flash for the iOS and apps, and the HDD for data storage. The iPod classic gets good battery life by caching; it spins up the HDD, reads 64 MB (IIRC) of audio to RAM, then spins the HDD back down.
  • Reply 58 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Why not just use a converter app (like Tunesify, in the App Store for 99¢) and convert them?

Or the OS X application I linked to earlier that is free.
  • Reply 59 of 108
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

To the Classic: You made Apple what it i$ today with all your failing hard drives taken from hits at the gym no matter what holder you wore.

It's obviously not for exercising, but the Classic is perfect for my Subaru Forester, hooked up with an iPod interface that I control through the car stereo. I set it to Album Shuffle, and I have hours and hours of Lossless music happiness. The best part is being surprised by what album is next - many times an album I love but haven't listed to for many months.

I'd love an increase to 220 GB. Still wouldn't fit all my music, though - I'm over 400 GB (Lossless).
  • Reply 60 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Betamax-L.../dp/B000928L7S

Someone must buy them.

I hate to feed a troll, but I do just want to say that Beta is still very much alive and well in the broadcast industry. Beta (Professional Format) and Betamax (Failed home format) are completely different formats, but the tapes are physically compatible. I just came from work; where I'm surrounded by a few hundred tapes. Trust me, I know (and prefer) the virtues of tapeless workflow...but yeah, tape is alive and well.