Low inventory, new HDD raise questions on future of Apple's iPod classic

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    My 25,000+ music library will not even fit on my current 160 GB model. I'd be happy to see a HD size increase. A 220 GB SSD Touch would be nice, but until then, I hope Apple hangs onto the iPod Classic.
  • Reply 62 of 108
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It's obviously not for exercising, but the Classic is perfect for my Subaru Forester, hooked up with an iPod interface that I control through the car stereo.

Depends on what kind of exercising you're talking about. I use mine all the time on elliptical trainers, stationary bikes, and treadmill...where I have a place to rest it and not have it strapped to my body. I do use a shuffle for weight lifting though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RayCon View Post

My 25,000+ music library will not even fit on my current 160 GB model. I'd be happy to see a HD size increase. A 220 GB SSD Touch would be nice, but until then, I hope Apple hangs onto the iPod Classic.

What compression rate are you using? I've got about 22,000 songs, plus a couple games and some videos and still have 55 GB free. That's why I've kept my files for the iPod at 128 kbps when ripping. For lossless with the audio alone I'd need 500-600 GB.
  • Reply 63 of 108
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I've held off on an iPad or a new iPod purchase until they come out with 128+GB of memory, so I can store my whole music collection in Lossless. (~90GB)

90GB lossless is not that much. You could use the option to convert to 128 Kbps and easily put it all on the iPod with plenty of room to spare.

The audio quality of the iPod is not that great that you nould notice much of a difference.
  • Reply 64 of 108
    It seems incredible to me that Apple has neither replaced the high capacity top end nor even mentioned their plans for it. The iPod was the very beginning of the idea that you could carry your entire library with you. I can't use a 30 GB or even a 60 GB player. I need to have large storage and carry it with me easily. Thousands of us out here are doing just that. Come on, Apple, let's at least tell the waiting multitude which way the wind is blowing. The wind just doesn't suddenly stop because you feel like building other devices.
  • Reply 65 of 108
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It all depends upon sales. If it's profitable, Apple would likely upgrade it. If it's reaching the point where sales are just too low to justify its continuance, I would expect them to drop it.

I think that makes perfect sense. It's what happened to the X-Serve. However, if there's one Apple product that might survive for purely sentimental reasons, it's the click-wheel iPod.

Of course, that may already have been the case for some time.
  • Reply 66 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

That's a good one.

Je ne regrette rien.

Une fois remis, un troll Internet redouble ses efforts. Nous ne pardonnons pas Ã* la légère.

Mae pobl sy'n maddau ac anghofio cael eu saint. Nid oes unrhyw saint yma.

Ba chóir a thabhairt buachaill an dara seans fiúntach é féin a chruthú, ach amháin nuair a bhÃ*onn sé ina leathcheann.

你能听到我吗?
  • Reply 67 of 108
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

90GB lossless is not that much. You could use the option to convert to 128 Kbps and easily put it all on the iPod with plenty of room to spare.

The audio quality of the iPod is not that great that you nould notice much of a difference.

The audio quality of a classic iPod is indistinguishable from a fairly high end CD player - at least my 3rd gen one is.. There is an internet meme that iPods have poor sound quality because Apple, in one of their typically stupid penny-pinching strokes of meanness, shipped iPods with possibly the lousiest sounding earbuds of any manufacturer. Many people came to judge the sound quality of iPods on the supplied earbuds, rather than try it with a decent pair, so the iPod is now stuck with a bad reputation it doesn't deserve.

Now you have the situation where a lot of people who value HiFi audio quality, believe Cowon, Sony et al, all deliver far higher sound quality than iPods do and so don't buy them, actively denounce them and advise people not to buy them.

I think 128kbps is too low, 160kbps would be the minimum I would recommend.
  • Reply 68 of 108
    Quote:

I believe a Toshiba 320GB drive is the biggest 1.8" drive available. So, 400GB isn't possible.

Tosh makes a 400gb 2 platter, 1.8" drive http://eetimes.eu/en/400gb-1.8-micro..._id=222904401#

I would guess this one is the follow on to the series that are in my 2 platter 160GB Classic. But even if the specs for this one are off and 320GB is the biggest, my point is that we could have a Classic with much more storage if it was a priority to Apple.

Now some of the talk seems to be going more towards an upgrade versus a discontinuation. I hope that is the case.

One thing that is interesting in this topic is that while most of the pros about the Classic seem to be about its massive load carrying abilities (ie that it has a hard drive), there is a sizable percentage that like it from a click wheel. It will be interesting to see what happens to it when it RAM is finally cheap enough that storage really ceases to be an issue. Will it just become skinny, or will it vaporize??
  • Reply 69 of 108
    Another casualty of sacrificing quality for convenience...
  • Reply 70 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Now you have the situation where a lot of people who value HiFi audio quality, believe Cowon, Sony et al, all deliver far higher sound quality than iPods do and so don't buy them, actively denounce them and advise people not to buy them.

I think 128kbps is too low, 160kbps would be the minimum I would recommend.

Thanks but I'll stick with my SACD player...
  • Reply 71 of 108
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

It will join the Sony Walkman in the design heap of technology.

Spinning mini hard drives are like the multi-generational offspring of spinning casstte tapes recording PCM.

You fail to see the profit margin Apple makes on this thing.
  • Reply 72 of 108
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Thanks but I'll stick with my SACD player...

I shall utter the three words that strike mortal terror into the hearts of audiophools - double blind testing.
  • Reply 73 of 108
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I shall utter the three words that strike mortal terror into the hearts of audiophools - double blind testing.

I've met people who say they can reliably detect high-res audio vs. CD-res audio in double-blind listening tests, but they admit the difference is extremely subtle.
  • Reply 74 of 108
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Everyone has a different idea as to who should be banned. I get private messages from people wanting me to ban each other! Sometimes I think they should all be banned, including those demanding that people be banned. That's as annoying as the trolling.

But if someone's polite about it, it's harder to decide, and it takes longer.

Agreed, and like I said, I understand it's a slippery slope. If someone asks for a ban and then it happens that only encourages more users to complain. In this case I figured it was worth asking because I could do so in the context of your reprimanding him already.

That said, I see someone saw the merit of the request. Although I suspect he's been on thin ice for a while. Sometimes as a regular reader it's hard to cope with the most egregious trolls, but maybe the system works fine as it is.
  • Reply 75 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kropoktin View Post

Tosh makes a 400gb 2 platter, 1.8" drive http://eetimes.eu/en/400gb-1.8-micro..._id=222904401#

I would guess this one is the follow on to the series that are in my 2 platter 160GB Classic. But even if the specs for this one are off and 320GB is the biggest, my point is that we could have a Classic with much more storage if it was a priority to Apple.

Now some of the talk seems to be going more towards an upgrade versus a discontinuation. I hope that is the case.

One thing that is interesting in this topic is that while most of the pros about the Classic seem to be about its massive load carrying abilities (ie that it has a hard drive), there is a sizable percentage that like it from a click wheel. It will be interesting to see what happens to it when it RAM is finally cheap enough that storage really ceases to be an issue. Will it just become skinny, or will it vaporize??

I don't think it's out yet. But, be that as it may, even 220 is a lot of storage for an iPod.
  • Reply 76 of 108
    Quote:

HeH heh! I try to get that done in the various audio clubs I'm a member of here in the NYC area. It's a tough argument. But it doesn't work with everything.
  • Reply 77 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I've met people who say they can reliably detect high-res audio vs. CD-res audio in double-blind listening tests, but they admit the difference is extremely subtle.

I'll tell ya. A lot of this is nonsense, but not all of it. i just bought a Sony 5400ES SACD player. Too bad Sony is now discontinuing all of their CD and SACD players except the $179.95 300 CD disk player. If you want Cd or SACD, you've now got to buy one of their Blu-Ray players which supports it. Anyway, my new one replaces an older model. There is a difference. We can all hear it. Better on Cd's and SACD's.

But a lot of SACD's aren't better because of the engineering of the mixdowns. Garbage in, garbage out. And popular CD's these days are not only highly compressed, but they're also using limiters! But, it's true that even in my rather expensive and revealing system, the difference, while there with good disks, is subtle.
  • Reply 78 of 108
    I pity the Audiophiles for their affliction. I'm so glad I can just sit back and enjoy the music without being judgmental about it.
  • Reply 79 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I pity the Audiophiles for their affliction. I'm so glad I can just sit back and enjoy the music without being judgmental about it.

What does that mean?
  • Reply 80 of 108
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

What does that mean?

I think what he's saying is that he's glad he listens to music, rather than listening to his HiFi, if you see what I mean.