Nokia rumored to shift toward Silicon Valley, Windows Phone 7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Actually I think this would be a great move for both Nokia and Microsoft. I would take it even further and suggest Microsoft exclusively license Windows Phone 7 to Nokia.

Nokia already has the hardware expertise and reach to successfully get WP 7 out into the world.

Together they can grow a much more congruent platform than fragmenting WP 7 across many different manufacturers. The way Android is now.
  • Reply 22 of 107
    I see no reason for Nokia to throw in with the mess that is Android at this point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If there was a stronger WP7 presence I wonder whose share percentage would drop the most, iOS or Android? (I'm guessing Android)

RIM would be in even bigger trouble than they are now, imo.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Wow, a smartphone software failure and a smartphone hardware failure team up!!

Nokia would be smart to just swallow its pride and license Android. They're capable of making decent phones, but they're about 5 years behind in the OS department. But I live in North America so what do I know?

• Reply 23 of 107
    It isn't horribly failed. MS just has no direction for it. MS would do better to exclusively license to one partner and build a stable platform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

No faster way to die than join the ranks of the cloners. And Nokia could die even faster by using the horribly failed Windows Phone.

• Reply 24 of 107
    LG, HTC and Samsung are already making WP7 hardware, its too late to have an exclusive deal with Nokia
  • Reply 25 of 107
    LG, HTC, and Samsung care much more about Android than they do WP 7. Microsoft could buy out their contracts or exclusively license WP8 to Nokia. Either they do something radical or watch all of their effort go down in failure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pit5000 View Post

LG, HTC and Samsung are already making WP7 hardware, its too late to have an exclusive deal with Nokia

• Reply 26 of 107
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I can actually see the logic of Nokia teaming up with MS, especially if there were inducements to sweeten the pot.

MS desperately needs some market penetration to get WP7 in front of consumers, and to get past the "also ran" perception. My impression is that it's actually a pretty cool OS (although it certainly needs some improvements), but without any kind of adoption MS may never get the chance to make its case.

Nokia has a ton of name recognition and hardware chops, but desperately needs a functional, modern OS. At the rate they're going they'll be completely irrelevant by the time they get something made, if they even have the talent to do that.

Both companies are up against a wall, time wise. If WP7 is slow to catch on, there might not be any room left in the market. If Nokia goes another year without a competitive smart phone, they might be done in that space.

But a Nokia WP7 phone could happen right away. It could be "Nokia-fied", maybe with exclusive features. Hell, MS could make Nokia the sole hardware partner (although that would of course be highly out of character) and declare the MS Nokia Phone 7 some kind of match made in heaven. They could work it out along the lines of the Sony-Ericsson partnership.

I think Android takes all the air out of the hardware licensee model and MS would be smart to do an exclusive hardware partner deal. It would mean they could do tighter coupling of software, with more control over the final user experience (which I believe even MS has noticed isn't entirely a bad thing).

I kind of hope that's how it goes down, I'd like to see WP7 have a chance as another player in the market.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

It isn't horribly failed. MS just has no direction for it. MS would do better to exclusively license to one partner and build a stable platform.

submit to failblog.org

nokia is looking to jump off the burning platform, which is what they should call their OS,

we've heard of burning monkey solitaire well you have now

standing on burning platform, oh ya symbiam, meego meewent, meeweewee

nokia is in a world of hurt even more so than rim, no loyalty at all
  • Reply 28 of 107
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If there was a stronger WP7 presence I wonder whose share percentage would drop the most, iOS or Android? (I'm guessing Android)

RIM would be in even bigger trouble than they are now, imo.

Long term, RIM. WP7 has enormous potential in enterprise market with combination (and capability do do what they are pleased to) of in-house technologies like SharePoint, Exchange, W7 and WP7.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    I totally disagree. Nokia can still succeed if they make some seriously radical changes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

submit to failblog.org

nokia is looking to jump off the burning platform, which is what they should call their OS,

we've heard of burning monkey solitaire well you have now

standing on burning platform, oh ya symbiam, meego meewent, meeweewee

nokia is in a world of hurt even more so than rim, no loyalty at all

• Reply 30 of 107
    Yes I want to see Nokia and Windows Phone succeed. Less competition helps no one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I kind of hope that's how it goes down, I'd like to see WP7 have a chance as another player in the market.

You can't beat free.

Quote:

I think Android takes all the air out of the hardware licensee model and MS would be smart to do an exclusive hardware partner deal.

• Reply 31 of 107
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

LG, HTC, and Samsung care much more about Android than they do WP 7. Microsoft could buy out their contracts or exclusively license WP8 to Nokia. Either they do something radical or watch all of their effort go down in failure.

While I agree with that, think about those being 1st generation of WP7 phones. I think they look much better than first commercial gen of Androids (relative to their time), back in 1.5 and 1.6 days.

But regardless, I'd like to see Nokia with WP7.
  • Reply 32 of 107
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Remember how well it worked out for Palm when they licensed Windows Mobile?

They instantly diverted half of their OS market share to Microsoft, didn't grow at all, Palm OS had even less reason/revenue to get updated, Microsoft delivered crap that was equally as bad as the failing Palm OS, and now Palm got to compete with every other WiMo licensee.

Nokia already has 3 phone OSs, a Linux distro for mini-puters, and Windows on a mini laptop. Adding WP7 would be a rather drastic experiment, but could result in giving Microsoft a way to stay in the game. Of course, it could also hasten Nokia's demise as a smartphone vendor to take a dump on its existing customers who clearly do not want WP7 phones or they'd be buying them.

Maybe they could borrow New Coke as a strategy and release New Nokia phones running WP7, and then after everyone freaks out they can say, oh you all wanted Nokia Classic! Here's the crap we used to sell before making that huge blunder!
  • Reply 33 of 107
    I think both Nokia and RIM will be at death's door in less than 5 years unless Microsquishy buys them.
  • Reply 34 of 107
    Not at all the same situation.

WP 7 is a far better OS than the old Windows Mobile.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Remember how well it worked out for Palm when they licensed Windows Mobile?

• Reply 35 of 107
    Elop symbian maemo moblin zune meego from Espoo to ms7cali, maybeeee.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Good thing that they identified their problems. Now, let's hope that they don't jump from a burning platform to a sinking ship.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    What an absolutely awful memo. This guy is in over his head.

A memo like that will do two things:

1) Alienate all the employees who are passionate about Nokia and its products

2) Terrify employees and cause a mass exodus of people who are talented and employable because they now know with certainty that they are on a sinking ship

Much of what he says in the memo is true, but that doesn't mean he should ever say it and especially not in that way. He just made every employee feel ashamed and didn't tell them why they should be proud.

I give this guy less than a year.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    everyone should read the full memo:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/n...honest-burnin/

great take on the market by someone who is not an Apple or Android fan, but instead is getting whipped by both. as he points out repeatedly, it's really all about the ecosystems.

combined, Nokia and MS do have plenty of ecosystem pieces. MS always has. and its enterprise ecosystem is still tops. but it has never been able to put it all together seamlessly - unless your XBox is the center of your life (and if it is and you're over 18, you're in real trouble). WP7 should have been aimed at RIM, which is also dead in the water and could be taken down now, but MS opted for the "youth/social market" instead, to leverage its self-perceved XBox success i guess. except XBox Live can never be more than a niche market - just ask Zune.

i don't know how adding Nokia's undoubted hardware skills to the mix solves that problem. but Nokia does have superior global marketing ID, while MS would help it in the USA. maybe that is a start ...

and what do they have to lose? they are both desperate.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    even if Nokia + MS works, i dont see their market share getting pass single digits vs iOS and android
  • Reply 40 of 107
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think both Nokia and RIM will be at death's door in less than 5 years unless Microsquishy buys them.

the European regulators would never let an American company buy Nokia. just like the Canadian regulators would never let one buy RIM either. but they both might go with a "merger" with an Asian company.